Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRUINS-FAN-FROM-MONTREAL. Show BRUINS-FAN-FROM-MONTREAL's posts

Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright"

The Bruins will have 2 high draft picks coming in this years draft! The Future is soooo Bright for the Bruins!

Let's just be "patient"

Bruins: The next generation

Photo By The Associated Press
    WILMINGTON, Mass. -- There was a reason for the seven mini-cams, several dozen reporters and 300-400 fans at the Ristuccia Center yesterday as the Boston Bruins rookies practiced for the first time.
    A big reason.
    His name is Joe Thornton. The 6-foot-4, 198-pound center was the first overall selection in the June entry draft, bringing more than a ray of hope to a Boston team that had the NHL's worst record in 1996-97. Thornton, 18, scored 122 points in 59 junior hockey league games last season.

Does this represent the first step toward respectability for the Bruins?
    "Kind of, yeah," said Thornton, easily recognizable with his long, curly blond hair. "They had a rough year last year but we have a lot of young guys coming in. I'm not worried about doing a miracle show here. We're going to have fun here today and hopefully we can get things back together.
    "Hopefully, we'll win a couple of Stanley Cups. Hopefully, I'll play in the league for 10 years. Hopefully, we'll look back on this and say this is the day it all started."
    The key word is "hope." The Bruins, who missed the playoffs for the first time in 30 years last spring, open training camp having dealt away their top two scorers from last season, Adam Oates and Jozef Stumpel. A host of rookies will be competing for jobs on what promises to be one of the youngest Bruins teams ever.
    On Wednesday, the Bruins agreed to terms with Russian winger Sergei Samsonov, their other first-round draft choice (eighth overall).
    The veterans return to the ice Tuesday. Among them is Ray Bourque, who is entering his 19th season and turns 37 in December.
    "Other than 1966-67, this is the first time the team has been made over," said Bruins President and General Manager Harry Sinden. "It's usually been carried by a nucleus of veterans returning from the year before. I hope the results are as good."
    Sinden chuckled after the last remark, an obvious reference to the Bruins teams he coached from 1966-70. Hall of Fame defenseman Bobby Orr was a rookie in 1966-67 as the team went 17-43-10, but Boston went on to win Stanley Cups in 1970 and '72.
    While there are a number of young players vying for jobs, it's clear that Thornton and Samsonov are the building blocks for the future. Thornton can pass and score. Samsonov is a potential 50-goal scorer.
    "Joe likes to dish it off," said right wing Cameron Mann, a 20-year-old rookie who played against Thornton in junior hockey and with him in the World Junior Championship. "He can score goals, too. He's big and he's not scared to rough it up."
    Sinden described Thornton as "an excellent two-way player" and called Samsonov "a classic wing."
    Samsonov, 18, is the shortest Bruin in camp at 5-foot-8 but is a sturdy 184 pounds.
    "You'll see his strength in the other team's end, in the corners, hanging onto the puck," said Sinden. "He's a good playmaker, too, but primarily a scorer."
    Samsonov said it was hard to describe his game.
    "My strengths are speed and quickness," he said. "I'm not going to talk about my weaknesses."
    New coach Pat Burns, formerly with the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, knows this will be a building season.
    "I probably have some ties and underwear that are older than some of the guys on the ice," Burns cracked. "But it's exciting. We've got some talent."
    The new coach also cautioned that Thornton and Samsonov might not have a big impact right away. Very few rookies, he noted, can turn a team around in one season.
    "There aren't too many I can remember," Burns said. "If a team comes off a bad season, it's difficult. If a rookie comes into a team that's done well, it's easier for him. I don't want to put any undue pressure on them."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Re: Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright"

You must be a "Big" Bruins fan to post this! Habs troll? I think yes!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright":
    Reading that was humoress and painful at the same time. Banking on draft picks to bail out your inept GM is never a smart thing to do, especially with the Bruins.
    Posted by BeefaroniBruin

It was humourus, but I think you have to accept that drafting well is how you win, no one is winning stanley cups with out a decent portion of the roster being home grown talent..

And it didn't amount to a cup, but that was a hell of a draft for the bruins and moving them in the right direction.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Remember Samsonov was a good player before the wrist injury and Joe played hurt against the Habs in the infamous 7 games and no points series. If Samsonov never got hurt and Joe either that season the Bruins would have beaten the Habs and possible won round 2 with the team that they had that year. Then the East finals would have been played against Tampa (the eventual cup winner that year)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Seeing how neither was here for 10 years I don't know that you can blame that on either of them...

Point still being you can't make it anywhere with out home grown talent..Detriot, NJ, Pitts.. etc..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefebvre33. Show Lefebvre33's posts

I don't think anyone is blaming Thornton or Samsonov. I think it just looks like history is about to repeat itself with this clueless ownership and managment

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Seguin has a point more than Stamkos did, his draft year, (106) to (105).  So, your saying that Stamkos is also another Thornton..  yea?   Thornton was a bust, we get it.  But what your saying is all top prospects are busts.  It's rediculous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I don't think thornton is a bust, I think what thornton is, is someone who wants to play and doesnt want to be a leader.. Probably still San Jose's downfall as Heatley is certainly not a leader, neither is marleau...

I think thornton on a team with say Alferdson, yzerman, maybe messier etc, would be successful..He needs to be able to be comfortable and to be a role player in his own right (100pts and not a leader) etc..

The bruins wanted him to be a leader, and to use his size, niether are things that he really seems interested in..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    I don't think thornton is a bust,..Posted by rolerhoky19

Then why was he traded?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Then why was he traded?
    Posted by bim09

Well for one, if thornton was a bust I don't think anyone would talk about what a low return we took for him..

and two. if you read down I already hypothesized why he was traded?? or is that not sufficient.. I mean hes 29?  and has nearly 1000 career points, lots of guys never win stanley cups, maybe you need to figure out what a bust is...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I mean you'd have to be content to be dumb enough to consider Hossa, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Lindros, Bourque until he left boston, and a long list of successful players a bust I guess?? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I think bust is the wrong term to use when talking about Thornton. The guy has put up big numbers although not winning a cup. I would describe him more as not living up to expectations for not leading a team to the cup. When I think of Bust I'm thinking of guys like Daigle who were drafted high and basically did nothing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

We got Primeau, Stuart, and Sturm for Thornton.  We got Reasoner and 2nd pick (Lucic) for Samsanov.  We then got Ference and Kobasew for Primeau and Stuart and then took a 4th pick for Kobasew which we flipped for Daniel Paille.

So, Thornton and Samsonov for Ference, Sturm, Paille, and Lucic (I don't think we got good value (even with Lucic) and I agree that we took a low return for Thornton.  If he'd been healthy in that terrible 7-game series, we might be talking a lot differently these days - Thornton's downfall was that "moment" versus Eric Lindros, in my opinion. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

OK for the final time. JOE THORTON is a very Good NHL Player! Most likely he will be in the Hall of Fame! He is NOT and NEVER will be the Syney Crosby type player the Bruins wanted him to be and the Bruins got way too little for him in return! OK can we STOP talking about the guy already!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think bust is the wrong term to use when talking about Thornton. The guy has put up big numbers although not winning a cup. I would describe him more as not living up to expectations for not leading a team to the cup. When I think of Bust I'm thinking of guys like Daigle who were drafted high and basically did nothing.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

That was kind of my arguement, he wasn't veiwed as being  a leader, but hes not a bust.. he had 7 productive seasons in boston.. Plus he is still young i mean Yzerman didnt win a cup till he was older etc.. lots of players are knocked or not winning a championship till they do..

Kobie, manning, Arod.. etc..

If he stays productive hes got HOF numbers.. He just wasn't what the bruins wanted..its not like we traded a guy who had 150 points in 7 seasons..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

OK for the final time. JOE THORTON is a very Good NHL Player! Most likely he will be in the Hall of Fame! He is NOT and NEVER will be the Syney Crosby type player the Bruins wanted him to be and the Bruins got way too little for him in return! OK can we STOP talking about the guy already!
    Posted by paulmend

they didnt want sidney crosby from him, they wanted lindros but healthy.. 150 points and a mean streak.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KesselKrew. Show KesselKrew's posts

Seguin has a point more than Stamkos did, his draft year, (106) to (105).  So, your saying that Stamkos is also another Thornton..  yea?   Thornton was a bust, we get it.  But what your saying is all top prospects are busts.  It's rediculous.
    Posted by bim09

Another guy who doesn't know how to read or follow a conversation

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KesselKrew. Show KesselKrew's posts

Posted by paulmend

You don't even know how to spell the guys name, go back to watching your cartoons and eating your cap'n crunch

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

We got Primeau, Stuart, and Sturm for Thornton.  We got Reasoner and 2nd pick (Lucic) for Samsanov.  We then got Ference and Kobasew for Primeau and Stuart and then took a 4th pick for Kobasew which we flipped for Daniel Paille. So, Thornton and Samsonov for Ference, Sturm, Paille, and Lucic (I don't think we got good value (even with Lucic) and I agree that we took a low return for Thornton.  If he'd been healthy in that terrible 7-game series, we might be talking a lot differently these days - Thornton's downfall was that "moment" versus Eric Lindros, in my opinion. 
    Posted by huscroft28

I think what you are forgetting is the Thornton trade allowed them to sign players like Chara and Savard.  While Z has had an off year this year, Ill take what he brings to the B's any day over Jumbo Zero.  And, you could give Jumbo a pass for his "Full Thornton" against Montreal if he didnt spend a career disappearing when he's needed the most, by both teams.  But, the reputation is deserved.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KesselKrew. Show KesselKrew's posts

In Response to Re: Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright" : I think what you are forgetting is the Thornton trade allowed them to sign players like Chara and Savard.  While Z has had an off year this year, Ill take what he brings to the B's any day over Jumbo Zero.  And, you could give Jumbo a pass for his "Full Thornton" against Montreal if he didnt spend a career disappearing when he's needed the most, by both teams.  But, the reputation is deserved.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Wrong. The Salary cap was only 39 million the year Thornton was traded and the Bruins only spent $33.6 million that season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Don't worry Bruins fans! "The Future is Bright" : I think what you are forgetting is the Thornton trade allowed them to sign players like Chara and Savard.  While Z has had an off year this year, Ill take what he brings to the B's any day over Jumbo Zero.  And, you could give Jumbo a pass for his "Full Thornton" against Montreal if he didnt spend a career disappearing when he's needed the most, by both teams.  But, the reputation is deserved.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

They talk about that, but we had joe locked up for 4 more years at 5.5 I think we took more salary then that coming back.

It was a bad trade I mean its going to be a trivia question down the road, "who is the only team to ever trade a player in professional sports mid season, who went on to win the MVP"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

To compare Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik, Lindros or Bourque to Thornton you have to be flat-out daffed.  They all eclipse Thornton in sheer talent.  They're all dynamic offensive and defensive players, Thornton is an overpaid passer.  Where was he in Vancouver?  I don't remember him at all, do you?  But, I do remember Kovy, Gaborik and Hossa, and even Bourqys son in the WJC.  ..Bro, even Jaromir Jagr looked better than Thornton did in Vancouver.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KesselKrew. Show KesselKrew's posts

To compare Kovalchuk, Hossa, Gaborik, Lindros or Bourque to Thornton you have to be flat-out daffed.  They all eclipse Thornton in sheer talent.  They're all dynamic offensive and defensive players, Thornton is an overpaid passer.  Where was he in Vancouver?  I don't remember him at all, do you?  But, I do remember Kovy, Gaborik and Hossa, and even Bourqys son in the WJC.  ..Bro, even Jaromir Jagr looked better than Thornton did in Vancouver.
    Posted by bim09

WOW laughable post.

LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Posted by bim09

you really dont seem to understand the game at all if you think that, for one the guy is the leading scorer since 2000, has more points then all of these guys, my point is not one of them lead there team to a cup.. but you don't call any of them a bust..

the guy has an mvp, and art ross, is a 6 time all star and mvp of the 2005 world championships..

I never said he was going to carry a team to a cup, I asctually said he was traded because of his lack of being a leader and phsyical play. You don't know that game at all if you would consider him to be a bust, he must be the greatest bust in history of sports and like i said unless production falls off or her retires he'll probably land in the hall of fame

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

anyone who doesn't understand that the Bruins have a bright future is insane. Reasons to rejoice if your a Bs fan: 1. They have the number 1 young goalie on the planet. 2. They have their number 1 center locked up to an absurdly cap friendly number 3.  4 first rounders in the next 2 years, one a guaranteed lottery pick (well, maybe not guaranteed). 4. boat load of second round picks 5. hopefully they will get rid of thomas 6.  Joe Coulborne 7. David Krejci 8. Blake Wheeler (if resigned) 9. Mark Stuart (if resigned, but lets be real, hes getting resigned) 10. Bergeron has been steadily improving since his injury. 11. if yuri alexandrov comes over, that can totally replace wideman for a fraction of the cap hit.
    Posted by pbergeron37

Thank you, you distracted me from tying a noose for at least a few more  minutes...

What really worries me is that this current team is underachieving.  If the current team were showing me more, I'd be a LOT happier with the reasons to be cheerful.  I can take losing, but it is the way they were losing, especially before the Olympic break.