Don't you just love hockey?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

Don't you just love hockey?

There's steroid use, dog fighting scandals, and sexual assault cases...and then there's hockey.

Here's to the greatest sport (and the greatest team) on Earth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

Re: Don't you just love hockey?

I know how you mean.

However, don't forget Bryan Berard or the story last season about members of the Capitals being on some PED user list, The gambling ring a few years ago... or missing a whole season.

Just figured I'd point those faults, But NHL does'nt have half the problems the other major sports do...
                               NHL has more honor and respect!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

I'll drink to that.

But it reminds me that while with the Canadiens, Jose Theodore got caught taking Propecia to cover up his steroid use. Mwahahahaha!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It certainly is true that the troubles of hockey are no where near those in the other major sports in North Amrica, as well as soccer.

I think the most obvious reason for that is where hockey players come from vs. where players in baseball, basketball, and football come from, as well as the existance of "the code" in hockey.

whether they're Canadian, American, European or even Asian, hockey players all tend to be from northern communities, and the majority of NHLers are from small towns, farms, or small cities. These communities tend to have a different lifestyle that is more community and family orientated with less violent crime and abject poverty. And as anyone who has spent a winter on the Canadian Prairies can attest, neighbours really look out for each other (there's simply no other way to survive a Manitoba winter).

For example, look at Jarome Iginla, considered by many insiders in the league to be THE class act of the NHL. Iginla grew up in St. Albert, a sattelite community of Edmonton whose primary industries are agriculture and oil. The crime rate is among the lowest in Canada, and it has a northern sensibility due to its being one of the environmentally harshest cities in the country. St. Albert's education system is ranked in the top ten in Alberta, and the standard of living is among the highest as well, even though it is still relatively rural. He is the son of an Nigerian immigrant father and an American mother his mother's a budhist and his dad's a christian and he was exposed to both faiths. He grew up emulating Grant Fuhr (arguably and ironically, due to a short period that he used cocaine as well as a bust, one of the few black marks on the game from a character standpoint) and Mark Messier.

Then look at say Michael Vick. He grew up in the worst neighbourhood in Newport News. He was born to a pair of high school students who eventually got married. His parents had to work two jobs each to support the family so were never home. The housing project he grew up in was aptly nicknamed "Bad Newz." It has one of the highest crime rates in Virginia and drugs and shootings are common place. Vick himself said that he took up fishing just so he would have an excuse to "get out of hell."

Now do these environments completely explain why Iginla is a King Clancy winner and Vick is a convicted felon? No.
    But when you consider (other than the mixed heritages of his parents) Iginla's background is fairly common among hockey player,s and Vick's is fairly common among football and basketball players, one can see how these upbringings may contribute to the overall character of the various leagues. (And as you may have guessed I used Iginla for a comparison to show that race is not a factor)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And since I mentioned the King Clancy, I think it's telling about the amount of character guys in the NHL that for an award that honours the player "who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and who has made a significant humanitarian contribution to his community." no player has ever won it twice. Just goes to show you the depth of character in the league.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

It takes $20,000 - $30,000 to get a kid through youth hockey.Baseball,football???? These are not project kids.The northeast add $40,000 a year for prep school,and after that another $20,000 for juniors.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't buy wealth as a factor - Hayley Wickenheiser, best female player in the world, never had a pair of new skates or pads (most were donated or bought from thrift stores) until she made the national team. If you have a passion, you find a way regardless of money. Walter Gretzky couldn't afford ice time for his son so he poured a rink in his back yard. Where there's a will there's a way, regardless of money. Ryan Whitney is another example from the northeast.
    But you're right about them not being project kids - but I think has more to do with the environment where the sport is played, than the wealth of the players. A third of the league is made up of Canadian farm boys - not exactly rich.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

80% of the Bruins last time I looked at roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Heh

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

Red,there all Canada born,Timmy,wheels, and Kessel USA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oh I know - just thought it was funny the way you phrased it (though Imeant a third are ACTUAL farm boys - then there's about 20 per cent that are from larger towns and cities in Canada)

Though of the current 23 man roster - 15 are Canucks, works out to be 65 %
    Hunwick, Timmy, Kessel, Stuart and Wheeler are American, Chara's Slovak, Sturm is German, Krejci and Slobotka are Czech. ( though those 15 include Eaves who is still technically on the team)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

First, I spend more time playing hockey then watching baseball, which I've basically given up in recent years. Second, if some NHL players are on some sort of PED, it still doesn't affect the game of hockey as acutely as it does baseball.