Down the river with Jack Edwards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

Down the river with Jack Edwards

just listen to what the moron says during the games and how Brick is always correcting him, It's fricken silly how much you'll notice that the game he's watching is completely different than the one we are. Please Dale Arnald was twice the annoncer Jack the River is... Bob Wilson, Fred Cusick and thier likes were the moled the Hockey prodcast and it's a shame that this guy is now mentioned in the same breath.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from STFU-Yankee-fans. Show STFU-Yankee-fans's posts

Re: Down the river with Jack Edwards

An "I hate Jack Ewards" thread is out there already.

Get over it and lighten up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Down the river with Jack Edwards:
    [QUOTE]just listen to what the moron says during the games and how Brick is always correcting him, It's fricken silly how much you'll notice that the game he's watching is completely different than the one we are. Please Dale Arnald was twice the annoncer Jack the River is... Bob Wilson, Fred Cusick and thier likes were the moled the Hockey prodcast and it's a shame that this guy is now mentioned in the same breath.
    Posted by bobby774[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I have given up all hope. 

Once upon a time there was dignity in this game. 

No more. 

You don't know what icing is.  You shave a spoked B in your head, paint your head black and gold, act like an over weight chipmunk frothing at the mouth  and having convulsions in an effort to get yourself on the jumbo tron.  You know that someone who does not do this cannot consider themselves a hockey fan.

Jack Edwards is perfect for these people, they have no idea of what they are looking at and Edwards has no idea of what he's saying.  Problem with Jack is that he is too intellectual for these people because he uses big words like "the" and "is" when all they understand is that a) they excited when there's a fight and b) a rolled up newspaper means they did something wrong.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Down the river with Jack Edwards:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Down the river with Jack Edwards : I agree, but I have given up all hope.  Once upon a time there was dignity in this game.  No more.  You don't know what icing is.  You shave a spoked B in your head, paint your head black and gold, act like an over weight chipmunk frothing at the mouth  and having convulsions in an effort to get yourself on the jumbo tron.  You know that someone who does not do this cannot consider themselves a hockey fan. Jack Edwards is perfect for these people, they have no idea of what they are looking at and Edwards has no idea of what he's saying.  Problem with Jack is that he is too intellectual for these people because he uses big words like "the" and "is" when all they understand is that a) they excited when there's a fight and b) a rolled up newspaper means they did something wrong.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

It's funny but....

I never knew that hockey fans were every considered "intellectual".

Come to think of it, sports fans as a whole have never been considered intellectual. Well, maybe golf. Certainly not NASCAR.

Do football fans watch for the strategy or do they want to see a head seperated from a body in midair? Do racing fans want to see a multi car crash...with fire? Does an old time hockey fan want to see a bench clearing brawl like the Bruins and Flyers used to have in the Neanderthal times (the 70's)? Does a baseball fan get excitied when a batter charges the mound...with the bat in his hand?

I think the answer to this is yes, and you can't blame anyone. Certainly not Jack Edwards. It's his job to make the game sound as exciting as possible to keep us tuned in or at least to keep us from falling asleep during one of those games that go scoreless for two peroids plus.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SluggyBuggy. Show SluggyBuggy's posts

jack edwards is the man

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

First, Jack is as close to an intellectual as I've ever seen in sportscasting. Secondly, some of you might appreciate the knowledge that hockey actually began as a sport only practiced by intellectual, well-to-do renaissance men. Sort of like cricket, I'd guess, but not too sure about that one these days.

Anyway, because the French Canadians were very poor and uneducated, historically, they had to fight hard to earn respect (though they're still boo-ing the anthem, so not sure how far they have come from the good ol' hick days). Saw a great documentary on this recently. May just make if available on my hockey channel soon.

FYI.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

If you think that Jack is bad, try listening to Rick Jenerette or whatever his name is call a few games in a row for the Sabres.  It will give you a whole new appreciation for Jack Edwards.  Or try Jim Hughson broadcasting Canucks games.  Be careful with those Canucks broadcasts though.  Hughson will try to convince you that there is only one team on the ice at all times and that they are the golden gods of hockey.  The opponent is hardly ever worth mentioning.

Thank goodness Center Ice is offering both home and away feeds of most games this season.  I can almost completely avoid clowns like Jenerette, Hughson, or the broadcast team for the Wild, who may actually be the cure for insomnia. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]If you think that Jack is bad, try listening to Rick Jenerette or whatever his name is call a few games in a row for the Sabres.  It will give you a whole new appreciation for Jack Edwards.  Or try Jim Hughson broadcasting Canucks games.  Be careful with those Canucks broadcasts though.  Hughson will try to convince you that there is only one team on the ice at all times and that they are the golden gods of hockey.  The opponent is hardly ever worth mentioning. Thank goodness Center Ice is offering both home and away feeds of most games this season.  I can almost completely avoid clowns like Jenerette, Hughson, or the broadcast team for the Wild, who may actually be the cure for insomnia. 
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

I like the way people are comparing Edwards to someone WORSE.  It's kind of like being a Leafs fan;
    gee - if you think we're bad, then you should see the Panthers.
    Somehow that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]If you think that Jack is bad, try listening to Rick Jenerette or whatever his name is call a few games in a row for the Sabres.  It will give you a whole new appreciation for Jack Edwards.  Or try Jim Hughson broadcasting Canucks games.  Be careful with those Canucks broadcasts though.  Hughson will try to convince you that there is only one team on the ice at all times and that they are the golden gods of hockey.  The opponent is hardly ever worth mentioning. Thank goodness Center Ice is offering both home and away feeds of most games this season.  I can almost completely avoid clowns like Jenerette, Hughson, or the broadcast team for the Wild, who may actually be the cure for insomnia. 
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]

How about the the voice of the flyers?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down the river with Jack Edwards : What a shock the useless hole loves the homer announcer!
    Posted by BigThree[/QUOTE]

Is this guy a serial killer or what? LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down the river with Jack Edwards : I like the way people are comparing Edwards to someone WORSE.  It's kind of like being a Leafs fan; gee - if you think we're bad, then you should see the Panthers. Somehow that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. You don't like him. Without the sarcasm and insults thrown out randomly at those who do like him, what are your reasons?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Down the river with Jack Edwards : Fair enough. You don't like him. Without the sarcasm and insults thrown out randomly at those who do like him, what are your reasons?
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

My reasons why I don't like Edwards, hmmm....
    1) I don't like the expressions he invents.

2) I am tired of his complaining that composite stick explode whenever a player touches a puck.

3) He isn't that knowledgeable about hockey (#2 proves that.  Wood sticks broke frequently, but the blades broke - not the shafts.  The player would drop the stick and it would not be noticed as much as the composites because the blades never break, but the shafts do).  Tell me something that I didn't know.

4) The conversations between Edwards and Brick are not as good as let's say, Cusick and Sanderson who were much more informed.

5) The color guy should provide the color.  The play by play should do the play by play.  Maybe I'm really different, but I like things that way.

6) Hockey is an exciting sport, you don't need an anouncer to get as wound up about it as Edwards does.  It loses its meaning when the emotion is always at a fever pitch.

7) Making up his own words, like Thornton's "Fisticability".

8) I think all of this indicates a huge ego, to me he's trying to be the star rather than the Bruins.

That's all I can think of for right now, I will probably have more after tonight's game.  He is good at coming up with more things I don't like.