Draft Combine starts today in Toronto

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Draft Combine starts today in Toronto

But what I want to know is; 'How's Andrew Ference's post op going?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto

In Response to Draft Combine starts today in Toronto:
    But what I want to know is; 'How's Andrew Ference's post op going?
    Posted by Awry

Got a feeling this a jab at a certain newspaper and rightfully so . Where are the hockey articles when things like this are happening ? Do the Bruins not have 4 picks in the first two rounds ? Isn't a event like the draft combine worth printing about for Bruins fans ? Puzzling ! If this was your intention Awry, good post !

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Its not as though there's a large number of hockey fans in Boston. How about coverage of some of the local kids? Or you can just wait until the day before the draft and give a token effort.....again.

Where the hell is Fluto?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I can tell you tsn.ca is covering live blogs all day with some vids.. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

For news from the combine with a Bruins spin, bostonbruins.com is there and blogging.

PS: I was actually hoping for a report on Sobotka's surgery, how he hurt himself (was it during the Buffalo series, or did it happen earlier?), and if it's true that he broke two fingers during the playoffs as well. Nada.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is a meaningless event.  In fact, for the 30+ years I've been paying attention to hockey, I have never seen anything about it.

Who cares.  It's Taylor or Tyler and then hope and pray for the rest of the picks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto:
    This is a meaningless event.  In fact, for the 30+ years I've been paying attention to hockey, I have never seen anything about it. Who cares.  It's Taylor or Tyler and then hope and pray for the rest of the picks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

It's not a meaningless event. It could make all the difference between choosing one player over the other.

And it's fascinating. It's not only physical testing, but a way for clubs to get to know these guys through psych testing and interviews. You're thinking of picking players who are going to be keys to the success or failure of your franchise, you have to consider ALL the angles.

Will Connolly measure up physically? The combine could determine whether he's a top 10 pick or falls to the second round. Will Kabanov measure up emotionally? Same scenario. This guy could be a stud, or he could be a washout. The Combine will be a key in determining his - and his club's - future.

The Taylor/Tyler question for the Bruins is pretty much secondary; they'll pick whomever Edomonton doesn't. But who do they pick at #15? At #32? Do they find another Milan Lucic? David Krejci? Who will open eyes or disappoint at the Combine? This is fascinating stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

This is for the superstitious among us, and it may change your focus when it comes to thinking about who the Bruins will pick.

Last time the Bruins had the #45 pick in the draft?  They picked a guy named Patrice Bergeron.  They've picked #45 only one other time and took Henry Kuster.  They've only had #15 once before in history of the draft, and took Brad McCrimmon.  The Bruins haven't picked #2 since the earliest drafts, taking Alex Cambell in 1964.  1987 is the closest comparison for numbers at the top - #3 (Wesley) and #14 (Quintal) but the middle drops out and the next pick is 57.  1997 is higher all around with Thornton, Samsonov, and Clymer in the top 27.

So, who are the Bruins picking with #45?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and this afterthought: The Laffs not only traded their 2nd round to the Bruins this year, they had to give Chicago their second rounder and their third rounder next year to reaquire their own number 2 so Burke could threaten Chiarelli with an offer sheet (the reminder thanks to Chowdahkid- posting prosportstransactions.com's draft trades).  The total cost in picks for the right to pay Kessel $5.5 Million, then, is 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder.  5 top of the board picks.  Genius!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Oh, and this afterthought: The Laffs not only traded their 2nd round to the Bruins this year, they had to give Chicago their second rounder and their third rounder next year to reaquire their own number 2 so Burke could threaten Chiarelli with an offer sheet (the reminder thanks to Chowdahkid- posting prosportstransactions.com's draft trades).  The total cost in picks for the right to pay Kessel $5.5 Million, then, is 2 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounders, and a 3rd rounder.  5 top of the board picks.  Genius!
    Posted by Bookboy007

Thanks for that eye-opener about what the Leafs really gave up for Kessel. I now have additional ammunition to throw at a very annoying Leaf fan that I know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by Bookboy007

...And people say trade away Toronto's #1 next year because the Leafs will be so good next season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Bruins Blog here on boston.com is basically nada. Fluto and KPD are together in New Hampshire water skiing they earned it with there in game blogs this season LoL!

This is why you must set up a twitter account if you want more current Bruins news.  Bish, Mckenzie and Marek are tweeting (did I say that right ?) like crazy about Seguin as we speak. Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Bruins Blog here on boston.com is basically nada. Fluto and KPD are together in New Hampshire water skiing they earned it with there in game blogs this season LoL! This is why you must set up a twitter account if you want more current Bruins news.  Bish, Mckenzie and Marek are tweeting (did I say that right ?) like crazy about Seguin as we speak.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Those tweets from McKenzie indicating Seguin is doing really good on those physical tests.

http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto : Those tweets from McKenzie indicating Seguin is doing really good on those physical tests. http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie Posted by NumbaFouwer

No matter which sport or how laid back you are. You just have to feel like a piece of meat at these things but in today sports you have to put up with it and the payoff for these kids is worth it in the end.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

This is a meaningless event.  In fact, for the 30+ years I've been paying attention to hockey, I have never seen anything about it. Who cares.  It's Taylor or Tyler and then hope and pray for the rest of the picks.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I've been watching for 45+ years and have been hoping for something like this ( tv coverage ). I guess that's the difference between somebody who cares about the draft and knows the players and someone who doesn't . ^^^^^^^^^^^^

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto : Those tweets from McKenzie indicating Seguin is doing really good on those physical tests. http://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Doing really good?  Actually, sounds like he might be doing the BEST of everyone overall.

You just have to love this kid.  I wonder if he is a fitness freak as much as Chara?

I hope we get Seguin.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlazeTrailer. Show BlazeTrailer's posts

I've been to the NHL draft (I know this isn't the draft) and had fun. Sat in the selection arena and watched some of the picks - I was at the draft so I felt I had to be able to say I saw this aspect of things. I had my picture taken with the cup, which is what I was really looking forward to. And afterwards eating at the restaurants across the street seeing a lot of the excited foreign draftees out to catch some lunch with their managers and taking a lot of pictures. I honestly enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto : It's not a meaningless event. It could make all the difference between choosing one player over the other. And it's fascinating. It's not only physical testing, but a way for clubs to get to know these guys through psych testing and interviews. You're thinking of picking players who are going to be keys to the success or failure of your franchise, you have to consider ALL the angles. Will Connolly measure up physically? The combine could determine whether he's a top 10 pick or falls to the second round. Will Kabanov measure up emotionally? Same scenario. This guy could be a stud, or he could be a washout. The Combine will be a key in determining his - and his club's - future. The Taylor/Tyler question for the Bruins is pretty much secondary; they'll pick whomever Edomonton doesn't. But who do they pick at #15? At #32? Do they find another Milan Lucic? David Krejci? Who will open eyes or disappoint at the Combine? This is fascinating stuff.
    Posted by duinne

Yeah, the B's really do well in evaluating talent.  I wonder how much time they spent watching Zach Hamill doing push ups?  I bet Lars Jonsson really knocked their socks off in the shuttle run.  I bet Toivonen was amazing in the bench press.  Lashoff must have done a wonderful job at the weigh in.

It's a joke. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Sequin looks shredded! http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip307088#clip307088

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is for you Awry,  Seguin can be the next Joe Thornton ...LOL Wink'
    Don't attack all at once. I 'm kidding with you guys... and BookBoy007

I'm looking forward to see how the boys are doing and see how the new rankings go.  Interested to see how Bruins two 1st rounds can look like . 2nd round hard to predict. 
    I'm sure some GM's are talking on how they can make a deal although not now Mr.Bourke Innocent

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Nice 'bookboy'. This is why you're the best. I mean it.

Fluto; no dining report?
    KPD; nothing to see through your Joe Thornton-coloured glasses?

There is a reason Hockey is a big deal in Canada.

Because they make it so.

I'll get this Upcoming Season's Slogan Contest going now;

Boston Bruins Hockey - Demand More!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Why don't they televise it?  I know plenty of peeps that would want to watch...they could easily put it up on NHL Network for a hour or two...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

BookBoy007 :

I am gonna love watching Burkie's face when it is announced in the draft...

"With Toronto's 1st pick in 2010, Boston selects...

With Toronto's 2nd pick in 2010, Boston selects... 

With Toronto's 3rd pick in 2010, Chicago selects..."

Regardless, Leaf fans will still believe that this guy walks on water... 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

On second read of BookBoy007's post, it looks like I might have to wait another year for that...

Toronto's picks in 2011...

#1 (2011) - goes to Boston
    #2 (2011) - goes to Chicago
    #3 (2011) - goes to Chicago

The 30th place Oilers will get better in 2011 with Eberle and Seguin or Hall...

Will the 29th place Muffle Loafs also end up giving the Bruins the number one pick overall in 2011 ? 

Time will tell...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Draft Combine starts today in Toronto : Yeah, the B's really do well in evaluating talent.  I wonder how much time they spent watching Zach Hamill doing push ups?  I bet Lars Jonsson really knocked their socks off in the shuttle run.  I bet Toivonen was amazing in the bench press.  Lashoff must have done a wonderful job at the weigh in. It's a joke. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Just fyi, Chiarelli didn't draft Jonsson, Toivenen or Lashoff. And Hamill was part of a poor draft class.

And the combine is far from a joke. You don't draft someone solely because of how they do in testing. But if you're making an investment of time, money and energy in some 18-year-old kid, don't you want to know as much as possible about him, mentally, physically, emotionally?

You send your scouts out to watch these kids play. You interview them at their homes and get to know their families. And you see them perform under scrutiny and pressure at the combine. ALL are factors in determining whether you use a pick on him.

Some of us find this stuff fascinating. Some of us follow Junior prospects, pay attention to the combine, watch the draft, follow our picks through the minors. And there are fans who only care when the guys show up in Boston. You follow the team your way, allow those of us who are more involved to do so our way, OK?