Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins12. Show bruins12's posts

Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk

He suggests that a deal that included Blake Wheeler, Tuukka Rask, and the Maple Leaf's number one pick would probably get the job done.

I think this price is a little high. There is no way I give up Rask under any circumstances, however he adds that a Wheeler, Toronto's first round pick and Marco Sturm might also get Kovalchuk. This deal I would make. While everyone is infatuated with the Toronto pick, their play has improved of late and I doubt by the end of the season will it be one of the top three picks. Wheeler is a good player but is not ever going to come close to the type of player Kovalchuk is. If they could pull this off the lines could be made up of something like this:

Lucic-Savard-Kovalchuk
    Paille-Bergeron-Recchi
    Sobotka-Krejci-Ryder
    Bitz-Begin-Thornton

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Re: Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk

The first suggestion: is a joke. Kovalchuk is a UFA at year's end. You could essentially be giving up the future of your team for a player that will walk come April. Even Kovalchuk for Rask straight up would be pushing it for me..

If Kovalchuk were to go at deadline, they could choose Boston and would most certainly ask for the Toronto pick. I would say the pick with Wheeler alone would be sufficient though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Sobotka Sturm & next Years 1st?

Lineup like this
    Lucic-Savard-Kovalchuk
    Paille-Bergeron-Recchi
    Wheeler-Krejci-Ryder
    Bitz-Begin-Thornton

Same as last year except Kov for Kess & Pail for Kob, B&B replace Yelle and pj.

This years 1st is important, we have 2 picks plus whatever to trade up for the number 1 or 2. After losing Kess it must be kept unless KO is signed for long term, you do not want to waste the Kess picks for rental.

If Kov is being sent, they will not want a lot of salary in return, but will want draft picks and prospects, the only way we may get him is thru a third party trade where we can dump some useless salary (Sturm), that saves us some of our picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rockett7. Show rockett7's posts

THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

They Will not Trade Rask

Can't Afford Kovalchuk

DOES NOT FIT THE BRUINS MOLD
    ...Kovalchuk has been bench numerous times over his career for being to one way...WORSE THAN KESSEL!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

Well considering ATL has 2 number one goalies (Pavlec and Lehtonen), this makes NO sense!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Bruins would be able to support Kovalchuk's contract at the deadline without moving money as pointed out in a previous post by No.4BobbyOrr. As much as I like Wheeler's upside I would move Blake with Toronto's 2010 pick and Hamill if that would sweeten the pot. I would not involve Colborne, Caron or Sauve the Bruins need to develop some wingers!

Sturm is not going to waive his NTC so it would be Ryder plus his contract would be off the books after 2011. If Atlanta is in the playoff hunt come deadline time the question is moot anyway.
    Why would Atlanta move there center piece ? PC cannot wait till the deadline Sturm, Ryder and Wheeler are just not getting it done.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heelsox. Show Heelsox's posts

Do not move Tuukka for anyone short of Ovechkin. That's one you really don't want to have come back and bite you, especially with no goaltending prospects ready to go.
    However, on the topic of making a move...I think we should do something before the new year...HOWEVER, don't make a desperation panic move where you give up too much for someone who might underperform. Make the right move, not the first move.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

SanDog, why do you think Sturm won't wave his NTC if the right trade comes along?
    I agree we need wingers and that Ryder and Sturm aren't getting it done on a consistent basis. I'd exclude Wheeler from that group because it's just too early to tell. He's got soft hands and a lot of talent. Hopefully his work ethic will catch up to the rest of his game. I still think he's going to be a good one. It just s ucks to have three of the better centermen in the league on our team and and no real snipers to dish it to. There was a stat on ESPN.Com today, that of all the teams paying over nineteen million for their forwards, only St. Louis had fewer goals in return than Boston. Somethings got to give and it's not Kovlachuck. I'm just glad the Bitz experiment is over. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

Sturm might waive his NTC for the right trade, but 1000 to 1 says thats not atlanta

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli commented on weei and KPD wrote about it here last summer. I put the links on one of the other 5 thousand "Kovalchuk Trade" threads. Sorry not looking it up again. If Atlanta insisted on Wheeler PC would not hesitate not one second.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

Regardless, Kovlachuck isn't coming to boston, not at ten million a year. (his rumored asking price) I don't know what NHL team would pay that price or should. Yashin was no kovlachuck but was damn good player when he came into the league, and we all know how that deal worked out (still) for the Islanders. Mueller, Doan, Svatos, Selanne, Lupul, or Clowe are all players I'd rather see the Bruins pursue. I'd hate to lose Wheeler for a rental.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cords. Show Cords's posts

This just doesn't add up. I would love to see Kovalchuk here too, but (as has been said) Kovalchuk doesn't fit the work ethic-backcheck mold they are pursuing, and they simply can't afford him - not just as an UFA, but THIS YEAR. I hope they go for someone else who is responsible in their own end, but could put up 30-40. This also rules out Frolov, for those of you tracking the other rumors...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsdiehard. Show bruinsdiehard's posts

Just finished reading that article on ESPN and went straight here to start a thread to bash this dumb idea, but glad to see someone already beat me to the punch.

First of all, I wouldn't trade anything for kovalchuk unless I knew I could sign him to an extension guaranteeing that he would be in a bruins uniform for the next 5 years. These "rental" trades drive me absolutely nuts, and its what got the Bruins into the situation they founf themselves in coming out of the lockout (along with poor prognosticating).

Secondly, how could anyone advocate trading Rask when Thomas is playing very un-Vezina like as of lately. Trading our goalie of the future to Atlanta of all places doesn't make sense because they match the Bruins in terms of goalie depth, so nice to see Bucci-idiot is doing his homework before writing about a team he sees play maybe 10 games a year.

For the rest of us watching all 82 games, we can see that Wheeler is hitting a major sophmore slump, but expectations across the board for this B's team were higher than they should have been, so maybe the negative attention directed towards him is symptomatic of the fans' overall disappointment with the team to date.

In anycase, I really would like to see Kovalchuk come to Boston, but not for that nonsensical trade. If he agrees to an extension, throw every draft pick we got from Toronto at Atlanta, along with a Ryder/Sturm and maybe Ference if its not enough. I think Kovalchuk would be a smash in the Hub, if you base future performance on the kind of performance he enjoyed when he and Savard were last playing together.

Stick to Baseball, Football and Basketball ESPN...I'll get my hockey news from TSN and ESP...lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

rask, wheeler, and toronto's 1st? why not throw in the rink or the brooklyn bridge as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk:
    [QUOTE]The first suggestion: is a joke. Kovalchuk is a UFA at year's end. You could essentially be giving up the future of your team for a player that will walk come April. Even Kovalchuk for Rask straight up would be pushing it for me..
    Posted by dhitch[/QUOTE]

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

atlanta,s holding 3 NHL goalies right now,the 2 above mentioned plus hedberg.....im betting atlanta would jump on wheeler,colburn & torontos #1....how bout 2 #1,wheeler,hunwick & boychuk for kovalchuk & hedberg,then trade thomas to la for jack johnson & a #1.....this frees up $$$$ for signing kovalchuk to a long term savard deal

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefebvre33. Show Lefebvre33's posts

Rask is the ONLY untouchable in this organization. Everyone else can be had for the right price.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

why would LA trade johnson?  for the venzina trophy winning goalie!  yes they have quick who,s up there in wins but is also below 900 % in saves & have a great chance to go deep into the playoffs with there talent up front....so to go into the playoffs with rask,hedberg,johnson & kovalchuk instead of wheeler,thomas,hunwick & boychuk you would feel less confident? & if atlantas a trade sc**w up then heres hoping they have 1 more sc**w up in there bag

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk:
    [QUOTE]The Bruins would be able to support Kovalchuk's contract at the deadline without moving money as pointed out in a previous post by No.4BobbyOrr. As much as I like Wheeler's upside I would move Blake with Toronto's 2010 pick and Hamill if that would sweeten the pot. I would not involve Colborne, Caron or Sauve the Bruins need to develop some wingers! Sturm is not going to waive his NTC so it would be Ryder plus his contract would be off the books after 2011. If Atlanta is in the playoff hunt come deadline time the question is moot anyway. Why would Atlanta move there center piece ? PC cannot wait till the deadline Sturm, Ryder and Wheeler are just not getting it done.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

The best of analysis here if we are talking "dreams".  Kovy is a rental player and he has questionable character.  He is not an Ovechkin, he is a scorer who has issues dealing with his public persona.  Injuries are now dictating the course of trades not only in Boston but elsewhere.  If I had my druthers it would be dishing out for Shane Doan, yet, the games are not half over yet in a league where parity is obvious.  So why trade until more is known on the injuries, placement, and need like March.  The fact is we have a solid backup goalie speaks volumes for the Bruins team in the next few months!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Personally

I would do it in a second if he signed a new contract upon the trade. There are certain players in the league I would do that trade for.

Ovechkin
    Malkin
    Crosby
    Kovalchuck
    Heatley

They are all dymanic player that I would take in a heartbeat. We have the best assist guy in the league and you pair him up with one of the best scorers and stanley cup here we come.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

I too am a big Doan fan and have been hoping because of their troubles that he may be freed ala Ray Bouyrque. But after watching their potential new owner between periods of the Leafs Yotes game, I don't think there's any way. He's the face (brand) of that franchise. Love the enthusiasm. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

LA isnt in the market for another goalie, they have a BEAST in the AHL, Jonathan Bernier and his time is coming "quick".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pbergeron37. Show pbergeron37's posts

they are invested in quick, they have a starting goalie, i doubt they would look for an under achieving 5 million dollar 35 year old.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

Chiarelli does not have the brains or savvy to pull off anything significant. You are all wasting your time watching this LOSER Team!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Espn's John Buccigross Attempts a Bruins Trade for Kovalchuk :The best of analysis here if we are talking "dreams". So why trade until more is known on the injuries, placement, and need like March. The fact is we have a solid backup goalie speaks volumes for the Bruins team in the next few months! Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Agreed on Shane Doan but as I saw last night while the Yotes are real good. I don't see Phoenix parting with any of there battle tested veterans.

Shane Doan and Robert Lang are a big part of Phoenix's success! With all these teams within single digits of the #8 spot PC might have a tough time finding anyone to trade with before March. Buccigross always gleams when speaking or writing about the Bruins and Sox. Wishful thinking is right...

Sections
Shortcuts