Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?

I think they will ? How about a little feedback from everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

Re: Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?

In Response to Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?:
    [QUOTE]I think they will ? How about a little feedback from everyone.
    Posted by stinkman[/QUOTE]

Yeah they will. They already proved their point and sent a strong message with the arbitration win. I don't think they will push their luck and have all this dragged out in the courts by the PA. Also they would look like idiots for not  having challenged the contract of Savard and the others right from the outset.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I want to say I think the NHL will approve but then again I'm New England pessimistic at almost all times so there is some fear that the arbitrator will bungle this. Right now I'm hoping and wishing it stays approved because I don't want Savard to go to say Toronto that would leave me fuming (there's my pessimism).

After reading Macramalla's blog I have to vote that savard's contract is fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

There three or four contracts out there that have been approved and should be voided before Savard's deal.The question is do thew all violate the rule or spirit of the salary cap.I beleieve they all do but I'd be shocked if this loop-hole wasn't seen and allowed to stand before both sides signed off on the deal and ratified it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Not voided but found in violation of the intent of the CBA.  The foundation will be set for the next CBA.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?:
    [QUOTE]Not voided but found in violation of the intent of the CBA.  The foundation will be set for the next CBA.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

91.7% the nhl approves.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal? : 91.7% the nhl approves.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

think about it if they do then all contract over ten years for copious amounts of money are legal... now if that is not circumvention of the CBA then why have a cap? 30 year mortgages are legal so what not 30 year contracts?  the insanity is unlimited!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

The League scroowed Savard once already by not suspending Cooke. They owe him one. Thus Savard's contract is safe.

As for the Bruins, maybe they get fined, at most, if at all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

If Pronger's, Luongo's, or some others are fine, Savvy's will be too...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]   There three or four contracts out there that have been approved and should be voided before Savard's deal.The question is do thew all violate the rule or spirit of the salary cap.I beleieve they all do but I'd be shocked if this loop-hole wasn't seen and allowed to stand before both sides signed off on the deal and ratified it.
    Posted by kebbe[/QUOTE]

Luongo's has to be the first.  As if he's going to play until he's 43.

Typical NHL bs.  Reactionary as usual.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone do you think the nhl will approve marc savard deal? : Luongo's has to be the first.  As if he's going to play until he's 43. Typical NHL bs.  Reactionary as usual.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Im not necessarily in favor of the front loaded contracts, but I dont like it when people use the age factor. What is to stop Luongo from playing till 43. I know that there is a 97% chance that Luongo will retire before then, but we don't know that. Are there any facts that prove Luongo will NOT play when he is 43 or Kovalchuk when he is 44. Yes I know in hindsight that the player will not realistically play out the full contract, but I just don't think it's fair to just assume that these players won't play till they are 43

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lostinbaltimore. Show lostinbaltimore's posts

The contract started on July 1st. If he has recieved any payment from the contract I can't see it being reversed, but if the 1st payment hasn't been paid yet I can see them at least reviewing it and consider voiding it. Like someone said earlier, at worst it will be a talking point during the next CBA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

The NHL is just investigating these contract so that the Bruins (or other teams) think twice about extension like this for Chara? before the loophole is closed.  I really doubt the NHL wants to be in a position where they allowed the Hossa deal and reject the Savard deal.... But then again this is the NHL and the are not likely to do the smartest things.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Too many contracts similar to Savvy's that would also have to be voided if the NHL scraps his...I think the 17-year Kovalchuk thing was so ostentatious the league felt they were getting publicly dissed and had to make an example of the Devils...I think Savvy's deal will stand...

what bothers me is that the Bruins probably half-wish the deal WILL be struck down so they can free the cap space (the snug fit created by their own short-sightedness, i.e. TT's deal, etc.)...If not for the fact that they'd get nothing in return I think PC would welcome the void, not knowing how valuable Savvy really is to this team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Savard and Progner's contract are the least offensive of the front loaded contracts and shouldn't be rejected.

Luongo and Hossa's contracts I don't like they're just too long. Who knows what's going to happen in 12 years. There should be a limit on the number of years players can sign to or at least some clause similar to that of 35+ contracts that doesn't allow the contract to be removed from the CAP if the player retires before his contract expires or becomes injured and can't fulfill it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan07. Show BostonFan07's posts

for those of you who did not read PC's official statement, he said that the league informed the team that the contract was allowed but would be under investigation, therefore the league has every right to void the contract because they informed the Bruins at the time of the signing that they would investigate, now that the league has set a precedent with the Kovalchuk contract they have void Savard and any other contract that hasnt seen a player play in the season in which that contract begins. i dont know about Pronger or Luongo contracts so i cant say for sure whether they will be voided but Hossa is safe because he already played a season under that deal.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clyde-Fitch. Show Clyde-Fitch's posts

Can you imagine the mess if the NHL voided the Hossa deal? 
    They would basicly say that Hossa made 8 mil last year with a 5 mil cap hit.
    Every other team wasnt allowed the extra 3Mil cap space because CHI broke the rules and benefited (big time)

There is no way Hossa get voided, and if they can't void that, there should be no way Savard gets voided.

Bruins NEED Savard this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

The NHL already approved his deal. There are not going to go back and look at contracts already approved. It would just open a can of worms that the NHL doesn't want to happen.

The Kovalchuk deal was NEVER approved!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

It seems more likely that the NHL is setting itself up to disallow future front loaded contracts, either under the existing CBA or by amending it, or at least in the next one.

There is the threat of losing draft picks if fraudulent contracts are submitted.  Let's hope we are not under that cloud.  NJ could be, though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RascalHoudi. Show RascalHoudi's posts

What needs to happen (but probably won't) is this.

The league needs to sit down with the NHLPA leadership(?) and agree on some guidelines to be used for the rest of the current CBA in relation to contracts.

I.E.
    -what constitutes a "filler" year on the end of a contract.  e.g.
       -anything below 50%(?) of the peak annual payment in the contract
       -agree on formula that takes into account the players age. i.e. any year that the player is over 40 and on the 5th year or later of the contract.. if the payment is xx% below the peak year
       -perhaps a rule on maximum variance between peak payment year and overall cap hit.
       -an explanation of why Hossa/Savard/Pronger/Fraansen/Luongo contracts aren't subject to these guidelines as they are being grandfathered in because they recieved approval prior to these guidelines being agreed to.

If the league and NHLPA can agree on guidelines here and show why Kovalchuks contract was rejected, then it makes it easier to get through the final two years of the CBA.

*Sarcasm on*
    Now, I'm sure that we all can have a warm fuzzy feeling that both sides can easily sit down and work this out so that we avoid future sideshows like these contracts have become.
    *Sarcasm off*

Or...  we can wait till Uncle Lou submits the next 'slightly tamer' version of Kovy's contract and wait another week while it gets reviewed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I don't think the NHL is going to void contracts at this time, I could see them issuing fines, penalizing draft picks, etc, some of the other provisions allowed in the CBA, and then voiding contracts at the next CBA if they feel it is necessary..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

I suspect that the League will likely approve the Marc Savard deal.

But has anyone heard if Lecavalier's 11 year, $85 Million contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning is under League investigation too ?

I have not heard anything in the press about that heavily front loaded contract and I believe it was one of the first of its kind ever handed out...

Or does Bettman and his cronies now just give free passes to save stuggling sunbelt teams now...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I dont think his is as similar, hes got a 7.2m cap hit, and 10m per till the final 4 when it goes 8.5, 4 and then 1.5, 1..

Theres not years tacked on at the league min..and i think its a safe assumption that when his contract hits the end, he will still be above the league minimum, which is one of the points in the Kovi deal is 5(6) years at the current league minimum, would be below the league minimum at that point..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

Nevertheless, I am tired of Bettman and his two bit League...

Between selective contract reviews and questionable officiating, it is getting harder and harder to follow...

Sections
Shortcuts