Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

Let's get a light, nostalgic post going here:

Up until the age of ten I was just a hockey fan watching mostly OHL hockey (junior A back then). Hamilton Red Wings on TV Thursday nights and doubleheader Sundays at Maple Leaf Gardens, where St. Mike's and Toronto Marlies played an opponents each.

I took a shine to two teams, who where very good and exciting then: Oshawa Generals and Niagara Falls Flyers. The Bruins at the time were for many years finishing in last place. However, These two teams were affiliated with the Bruins and one day their players would move on to Boston, if they were good enough.

Oshawa, of course, had Bobby Orr. They also had Wayne Cashman, Barry Wilikins, Nick Beverley, Ian Young (what a goalie he was, too bad an eye injury finished his career then, and I am still saddened, to this day, by what he could have done in Boston) and many more.

Niagara Falls had Derek Sanderson, Ron Schock, Bill Goldsworthy, Bernie Parent, Don Awrey, John Arbour, Doug Favell and many more.

I thought that one day the Bruins will have a great team. And at age 11, the Boston Bruins became my team in November 1964.

An uncle of mine, a big hockey fan, asked me on Saturday who would win that night's hockey game (the Bruins were playing the Leafs at MLG). I replied: Boston. He laughed. "Fano schifo. Perdono sempre." (They stink. They always lose). It made me upset. "Ammazano i Leafs sta sera. Ti faccio vedere", (They'll kill the Leafs tonight. I'll show you), I said.

That night we sat down together and watched Hockey Night in Canada. And BINGO - Bruins 11, Leafs 0. My uncle couldn't take it and left after the sixth goal. And I was glowing with pride and imagining who much better it would become to be a Bruin fan because all those junior players from Oshawa and Niagara Falls would one day play in Boston. Boston was officially my team now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

I wasn't given a choice.  I was born in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In Response to Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    Let's get a light, nostalgic post going here: Up until the age of ten I was just a hockey fan watching mostly OHL hockey (junior A back then). Hamilton Red Wings on TV Thursday nights and doubleheader Sundays at Maple Leaf Gardens, where St. Mike's and Toronto Marlies played an opponents each. I took a shine to two teams, who where very good and exciting then: Oshawa Generals and Niagara Falls Flyers. The Bruins at the time were for many years finishing in last place. However, These two teams were affiliated with the Bruins and one day their players would move on to Boston, if they were good enough. Oshawa, of course, had Bobby Orr. They also had Wayne Cashman, Barry Wilikins, Nick Beverley, Ian Young (what a goalie he was, too bad an eye injury finished his career then, and I am still saddened, to this day, by what he could have done in Boston) and many more. Niagara Falls had Derek Sanderson, Ron Schock, Bill Goldsworthy, Bernie Parent, Don Awrey, John Arbour, Doug Favell and many more. I thought that one day the Bruins will have a great team. And at age 11, the Boston Bruins became my team in November 1964. An uncle of mine, a big hockey fan, asked me on Saturday who would win that night's hockey game (the Bruins were playing the Leafs at MLG). I replied: Boston. He laughed. "Fano schifo. Perdono sempre." (They stink. They always lose). It made me upset. "Ammazano i Leafs sta sera. Ti faccio vedere", (They'll kill the Leafs tonight. I'll show you), I said. That night we sat down together and watched Hockey Night in Canada. And BINGO - Bruins 11, Leafs 0. My uncle couldn't take it and left after the sixth goal. And I was glowing with pride and imagining who much better it would become to be a Bruin fan because all those junior players from Oshawa and Niagara Falls would one day play in Boston. Boston was officially my team now.
    Posted by Wheatskins

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

I was never a hard-core Bruin Fan.  I was born in Toronto so I was raised on watching the Leafs; much like NAS I really didn't have a lot of choice.

However,I became a huge fan of the players playing for the Bruins in the early 70's and when it came to the playoffs for those years the Leafs didn't make it, I cheered for the Bruins.

The Bruin's of that era had it all.
    Skill - Orr (the best ever IMHO)
    Grit - plenty of it, Mckenzie, Awry, Marcotte, Cashmanh
    Goaltending - Cheevers
    Scoring - Orr/Esposito/Hodge/Buicyk (sic)/Standfield
    Defensive forwards - Marcotte, Westfall
    Flair - Sanderson
    Coaching - Grapes
    ------------
    I hated them during the regular season, but marveled at them once the Leafs were eliminated.  Only problem was the Canadians of that era.  That's where my hate for the Canadians started

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

I was born in Boston...no choice.  I used to walk to the old Garden. There was a "sneak in" by the parking lot out back if no one was watching. I've been watching since Teddy Green patrolled the blue line. Bucyk, McKenzie, etc. were my heroes. Always loved the Broonz...always loved the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsCupiN09. Show bruinsCupiN09's posts

i was born into boston bruins hockey. my father would get depressed over the bruins cup runs and lose in the 1980's, i wasnt born yet but i was brought up as a regular bruins fan. then around my middle school time i watched every single game. from this day i have missed only about 10 games and that was due to school sports games/practices and other events i have no control over. i am not a season ticket holder and i have goine to about 20-25 games the past 2 seasons. i do consider myself a diehard bruins fan. i dont play hockey, im not very good on skates but i feel like i know the game and i love the bruins with a passion. it is my life after school and friends. the old school games i really cant watch but game 6 from 2008 vs canadiens and both 2008+2010 savard ot game winners i love and can watch over and over again. when im down in the dumps i look up the game  highlights on youtube and that cheers me up and jus makes me smile. thats really how i became a bruins fan, little in depth but thats how it happened

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Right around junior high my buddy who lived next door got a couple of hockey sticks and i started shooting around with him in the streets. That night i happend to stumble across a B's game on TV, it was game 7 vs the Whale (late 80's/early 90's) and I have not missed a game since, I was hooked. After watching Moog I wanted to play goalie. I used to record the games and analize how Moog played and how he reacted to different situations and try to learn from that. Peice by peice I got some goalie equipment and my buddies and I would play everyday after school and we would set up real games for the weekend. Kinda funny, the games were never fair, I had all the goalie equipment and was actually studying the position and some other poor randomly selected friend would strap carseat cover to their legs and use a baseball glove. lol. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Delta14. Show Delta14's posts

I go back a little before most of the posters on this one.  I was 11 years old, we used to get the Hockey Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon in Pennsylvania.  The game that got me to be a Bruins fan was one between the Rangers & Bruins.  Louie Fontinato got into it with Vic Stasiuk.  When they went into the penalty box at the old garden, the Bruins fans got on Fontinato without mercy and he tried going into the stands - had to be stopped by a cop - I'm not sure but I believe the Bruins came back and beat the Rangers and someone, could have been Leo Boivin took it to the Rangers as well. Just enjoyed the game and the fans - I was sold on the Bruins and have been a lifelong fan since.

I did get to meet Joe Watson a couple of times in 1967 - Bruins vs. Flyers and a lot of the Bruins players came over to Philadelphia Naval Hospital.  Really nice guy and he spent a lot of time with the patients.

toys 0311

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3890146. Show user_3890146's posts

Back in the day, in Nova Scotia there were three "home" teams"-Montreal, Toronto, and Boston.  I watched a game on TV of Boston against Montreal (I think it was the game when Phil Esposito scored two goals against Tony, but it was pretty long ago so I can't be sure).  I just remember watching and marvelling at Orr.  He was magic.  Been a Bruins' fan ever since.  At times they've embarassed me, and at times I have marvelled at them-doesn't seem to matter what they do on or off the ice.  I'll be a fan 'til I die.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I'm born and raised in Massachusetts. My father loves all the major sports and taught everything I know about them. After playing a little of each sport I enjoyed hockey the most and stayed with it. I've never been a great skater, nor could I afford ice hockey equipment, but that didn't stop me from playing street hockey.

I got hooked on Boston after the lock-out when Bergeron started playing. One of my first major credit card purchases was an Authentic Bergeron Jersey. It's the only jersey I wear when I go to games. I can still remember the philly game when Jones checked Bergeron's head into the glass. I don't think I blinked during the entire 15-20 minute ordeal when he was down on the ice.

After reviewing the rich history of the Bruins I'm jealous of all the hockey fans in the 70s and 80s who got to see such great bruins players and teams. I love watching bruins classics when they show the real classics not he ones from 2 or 3 seasons ago.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhsreddevil12. Show bhsreddevil12's posts

First game I went to in the mid 90's I was about 10 and Neely beat the S--t outta some guy and scored two goals = hook, line and sinker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:

First game I went to in the mid 90's I was about 10 and Neely beat the S--t outta some guy and scored two goals = hook, line and sinker.
    Posted by bhsreddevil12

Like others, I was born in Mass so it was never a choice really.

Been skating since I could walk and I just remember sitting there in the early 80's watching TV38 with a pad of paper and a pen and writing down the players and keeping track of points, penalties etc (my own little homemade boxscore if you will).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IcedAdam. Show IcedAdam's posts

I was born into Boston Bruins Hockey... it was/is a way of life during the winter months for my family.

In the spring of 2005, my girlfriend bought a Red Sox onesie for my baby nephew (I know, I know...).  Upon seeing the odd "B" on the front of the chest, my grandmother (early 70's) questions "when did the Bruins change their logo?" Even with the sox coming off their first championship in 80-whatever years, the Bruins still reigned supreme in our minds. 

Bruins were always an allegiance for my family, and I will ensure it gets passed to the next generation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfansince88. Show Bruinfansince88's posts

My story is a little different. I'm born and raised in Montreal. My father, a die-hard Bruins fan, would take me to games at the old Forum constantly, no matter who they were playing against. I was mainly a simple hockey fan, until the age of six, when I finally made up my mind about what team I would root for mercilessly.

It was 1988 (hence my screen name), and I was playing pre-novice hockey. Our team was the St. Leonard Bruins and we won everything that year. We were the best team, by far, and the experienced moved me so much that it completely influenced my hockey life from then on (much to my father's delight).

I have never once questionned my allegiance to the team. Even while taking copious amounts of abuse while playing Midget AAA with that little runt Mike Ribeiro. Let me tell you, he is not the most liked Montreal native out there. He always had an opinion on everything, and he was extremely arrogant about it. To this day, I get a very particular sense of satisfaction watching him get clobbered on the ice.

Anyway, I'm digressing, but that's my story. My father's story is even better...LOL!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

In Response to Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    [QUOTE]Let's get a light, nostalgic post going here: Up until the age of ten I was just a hockey fan watching mostly OHL hockey (junior A back then). Hamilton Red Wings on TV Thursday nights and doubleheader Sundays at Maple Leaf Gardens, where St. Mike's and Toronto Marlies played an opponents each. I took a shine to two teams, who where very good and exciting then: Oshawa Generals and Niagara Falls Flyers. The Bruins at the time were for many years finishing in last place. However, These two teams were affiliated with the Bruins and one day their players would move on to Boston, if they were good enough. Oshawa, of course, had Bobby Orr. They also had Wayne Cashman, Barry Wilikins, Nick Beverley, Ian Young (what a goalie he was, too bad an eye injury finished his career then, and I am still saddened, to this day, by what he could have done in Boston) and many more. Niagara Falls had Derek Sanderson, Ron Schock, Bill Goldsworthy, Bernie Parent, Don Awrey, John Arbour, Doug Favell and many more. I thought that one day the Bruins will have a great team. And at age 11, the Boston Bruins became my team in November 1964. An uncle of mine, a big hockey fan, asked me on Saturday who would win that night's hockey game (the Bruins were playing the Leafs at MLG). I replied: Boston. He laughed. "Fano schifo. Perdono sempre." (They stink. They always lose). It made me upset. "Ammazano i Leafs sta sera. Ti faccio vedere", (They'll kill the Leafs tonight. I'll show you), I said. That night we sat down together and watched Hockey Night in Canada. And BINGO - Bruins 11, Leafs 0. My uncle couldn't take it and left after the sixth goal. And I was glowing with pride and imagining who much better it would become to be a Bruin fan because all those junior players from Oshawa and Niagara Falls would one day play in Boston. Boston was officially my team now.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    In the sixties me and two friends would get together every Saturday and watch hockey night in Canada. One friend was a Montreal fan and the other a Toronto fan and each tried to pull me to there team, One Saturday night the Bruins were in Toronto and put a beating on the Leafs 11-0. From that day until now i have been a Bruins fan i have seen them win two Stanley Cups and i hope to see another cup before i die.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

Bobby Orr

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Not sure, but my first memory is the night they raised Bobby Orr's banner to the rafters and I think the next thing I saw was Terry O'reilly smashing his way through the other team and I was hooked.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Lifelong Celtics fan.  During one of my frequent trips to the Garden (to see the C's), I walked into the gift shop, looked around, and thought "I wonder if I am missing out on something by not following the Bruins".

Before then , I had been hot/cold with the sport for years.  Didnt like hearing the same things after every game ("you know, we just have to put the puck on net.  Get good bounces.  Keep it simple.  Be more physical out there.").  I then realized that while the majority of fans, players and even GM's spew these archaic cliches, they are not true.  At its best, hockey is a thinking man's game.  Hockey players, even if they dont realize it, need to be mindful of sooo many things out there including but not limited to: where all of there teammates are at all times.  To be able to do that, at the pace they play, is mind-boggling.  Fell in love with intelligence and strategic aspects. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

My dad was born in Parry Sound so I had exposure to what Bobby Orr was all about in the early 60's even before he started playing with the Oshawa Generals. The rest speaks for itself , after seeing him play how could you not be a fan of whatever team Orr went to in the NHL ? The best !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

When Iwas 5 I started playing hockey.  After my first practice my father took me to a sports card shop and bought me a full season set,  I separated the Bruins players out and immediately I knew essentially the whole team when we sat down as a family to watch games.  I've been a diehard ever since with one exception.  When I was about 8 I went through a rebellious faze and rooted for the Canadiens for a year, Patrick Roowa (I know it's Roy) was my favorite player.  That's my dark little secret but I don't regret any of it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Worked at T. Anthony's on Comm Ave, we had season tix at the old garden. It just happened.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Gerry Cheevers... I was born in Waltham and grew up in Maynard. My dad took me to a Bruins game when I was about 5. My friends and I had been playing street and pond hockey so I had an interest in the game. But once I saw Cheevers, I was hooked. The Bruins were my team and I wanted to be a goalie from that point on. Cheesey was a huge influence, both good and bad! LOL

My very first time playing organized hockey was played with 6 stitches over my eye. My best friend caught me over the eye with a stick during a street hockey game the day before. I remember being upset because I couldn't paint a stitch over the cage. I also had a tendancy to leave my feet, which was a big no-no back then, and my stick tended to wander towards the opposition. Darn those Northland sticks!

Even though I now live in MI, (Wife and I are working on moving back to MA/NH), and attend Red Wings games, my love for the Bruins has never waned. I may be the only one at the Joe wearing all my Bruins apparell when the B's play there, but I do it proudly! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

My mother was a die-hard Boston sports fan - watched every game and every team...but she loved the Bruins and the Red Sox most.  When I was a kid, I used to beg her to watch something other than hockey...eventually I had no choice to but give in, LOL. 

I've loved the sport and the Bruins for close to 35 years.

Hey...anyone else remember those Peter Puck cartoons between periods? 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Man, I wish I was alive in 1970 and '72...woulda been amazing to see the Cup...

But I started watching wayyyyy back in the days of Byron Dafoe and Felix the Cat Potvin haha...

I remember really getting on board when Raycroft and Bergy got here, then the lockout happened and I was like, "What the hell, is this gonna happen every other year?" haha...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    Worked at T. Anthony's on Comm Ave, we had season tix at the old garden. It just happened.
    Posted by seobrien

Side note: If you haven't been, T Anthony's is the best pizza place on Comm Ave, and, often times, the only place that stays open late on weekends to serve the drunken folk that stumble in...it's great!

Sections
Shortcuts