Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

All my best friends were Bruins fans growing up (about 80 miles from Boston), thus ....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Bobby Orr-Espo...but that was mainly from Sports Illustrated which I had a subscription to when I was a kid. Then came cable TV which had WSBK out of Boston, just in time for the Don Cherry era teams. Fred Cusick-Johnny Pierson wow !!! The most entetaining hockey you'll ever be lucky enough to see. The games against Montreal back then were all out wars-lots of heartbreak. I lost interest for a while because I was convinced that the Sinden influence was never going to spend the money to allow this team to compete. Picked it up again a couple of years ago, and am hooked more than ever...need to see a cup in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I was six and got to stay up late to watch the end of what could have been the cup final on 12" black and white TV in my parents bed.  A guy named Orr scored an incredible goal to win the cup.  Soared like a bird.  Been hooked ever since. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewinab. Show Drewinab's posts

I grew up in Thunder Bay Ontario as kid #7 in a family of 9 kids in the 60s and 70s...about half were Montreal fans and half were Bruins fans...and to boot my dad was a Bruins fan and my mom was a Habs fan...man the fights that used to break out at our house during MTL/BOS games rivalled the Jonathan/Bouchard tilt!  Anyway one of my first memories of the NHL was watching the Bruins and Leafs on Hockey Night in Canada and seeing Bobby Orr kill a penalty all by himself.  Been hooked on the spoked B ever since.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    I was six and got to stay up late to watch the end of what could have been the cup final on 12" black and white TV in my parents bed.  A guy named Orr scored an incredible goal to win the cup.  Soared like a bird.  Been hooked ever since. 
    Posted by scooter244

Scooter. The famous goal was scored on the afternoon of May 10, 1970 (Mother's Day). It may have been the 1st or 2nd game you were watching since they were in St. Louis and starting an hour later.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonRob4. Show BostonRob4's posts

My dad raised me well. He was a huge Orr fan when he was little, and has never stopped cheering for the Bruins. So I've been a Bruins fan since I was born really, remember getting a Byron Dafoe road hockey mask when I was a kid, it was amazing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

BOBBY ORR

And some other okay talent
    Phil Esposito
    Derek Sanderson
    Gerry Cheevers
    etc
    etc...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

My father and cousin were Bruins fans and basically brought me into the B's fan den!  Went to Niagara Falls Flyers (OHL) games back in the late 70's and early 80's.  The team wore the spoked NF as they were once a Bruins junior affiliate and wore the Bruins colours.  This fact added to my families loyalties and here I am.  Saw my first Bruin game vs Buffalo at the Aud on March 30, 1986.  B's won 5-3.

Me and few buddies planned a trip to Boston back in the 92-93 season.  Had tickets for two games.  Late Feb games vs Minnesota and Washington.  Neely was out for most of this season and after missing 50 or so games he returned to the lineup against Minny.  The Garden was rocking and I'll never forget how loud the building got when he scored on a deflection.  Tied Minny and beat the Caps two days later in OT with Rosie getting the OT winner.  I had to see the Garden before it's end and with the Neely return and goal, this was a was a very special night.

Haven't been to Boston since and hoping to get back with the wife and kids very soon. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77ray77. Show 77ray77's posts

well my story is simular to many others here, i grewup in galt ontario, in the sixties, for those that dont know that is about sixty miles west of toronto, luckily for me my father has been a bruins fan since the thirties, so i had his good influence, and many stories of bruin greats that he had seen, however i became hooked , at about age seven, when i found a 6 by 8 glossy of bobby orr in his bruin uniform, the black and gold imho were the coolest uniforms of any of the teams and i wanted to grow up and be a boston bruin, unfortunately , not enough hockey skill, lol, but have witnessed two cups and have had many arguments with leaf and hab fans about which team was best, of course in this delussional leaf market , theres never a lack of willing participants haha , anyway  im grown now and love the bruins , will to the day i die, my rec room is a bruin shrine, filled with all kinds of bruin memorabillia , the greatest sporting franchise in the world, Go Bruins GO         

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1629888. Show user_1629888's posts

In 1959, my parents were fans of the New York Rovers/Long Island Ducks, Eastern Hockey Leaque.  I was 4 yrs. old.  I started collecting hockey programs and magazines.  Hockey Illustrated or the Hockey News,was the only place to get pictures of hockey players.  Around 1966, I started collecting photos of Bruin players, then when Bobby Orr hit the scene, every magazine was filled with Bruins pictures.  I've stayed a B's fan on Long Island, enduring much punishment ( my parents and I were Islander season ticket holders for 20 years!).   My son was born with a B's Teddy bear in his hospital crib.  He is carrying the tradition far more than I could ever do!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joebondo. Show joebondo's posts

My dad and I watched EVERY Bruins game on TV-38 (Edwards and Brick can't hold a candle to Cusick and Sanderson) probably all my young life, but I can start to remember it at around 4 Yrs old (1984), saw my first live game in '85 at the Garden.  Have always loved the B's and always will, hope to be able to visit home for a cup parade very soon! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan? : Scooter. The famous goal was scored on the afternoon of May 10, 1970 (Mother's Day). It may have been the 1st or 2nd game you were watching since they were in St. Louis and starting an hour later.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Really?  Way to ruin a cherished childhood memory!!
    Must have been another game I remember watching late (for me) that night.
    Thanks for the info. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

My father was always a Bruins fan.  When I was younger I used to go to P-Bruins games every weekend for I think a 3-4 year period. 

My most fondest memory is when John Grahame (yes, HIM!)  skated out to pass a slowly moving puck up ice to his defenseman, but WHIFFED in a really big way.  Not known for being a technically sound goalie, he did not use his pads below him as a backup in case anything funny happened with the puck. 

The puck went right through his legs and went into the goal.  The assists came from the goalie clearing it into HIS OWN CORNER, and the other team's defensman who banked it off the boards at the blue line ignominously, watching the puck drift gently towards the goaltender.  Little did he know that he would score the GWG.

THAT is the most funny episode I have ever seen live at a hockey game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

I went to and Islanders vs. Bruins game at Nassau Colisseum. During warm ups I went and stood by the glass when Ray Bourque came over, waved, and gave me a thumbs up cus I was by the Bruins. Since then I've been a diehard.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigjeezy. Show bigjeezy's posts

born in boston went to my first game at 5 and have been a bruins fan since 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In 1979, I was 10 years old and not that interested in hockey.  Much like today, I could care less about the hometown Leafs.  Some kid in my class did a pipe-cleaner figure scene involving a Leaf player scoring on a Boston goalie and glued it to a piece of cardboard painted white.  He wrote a lop-sided Leaf score on the cardboard.

The only connection I had to the city of Boston was my knowledge of a good friend of ours living in Newton which I was told was near Boston.  This kid's figures angered me as I took it as him making fun of a friend of my family so I made my own pipe-cleaner scene of a Bruin player scoring on a Toronto goalie to get back at him. 

To outdo his, I not only painted the cardboard white but added red face-off circles, painted the goal red and cut out some pieces of cloth and glued them to my pipe-cleaner goal to represent the netting.  I even made a scoreboard from a piece of bristol board supported by pipe-cleaners with "Boston 7 - Toronto 0" written on it.  I've been in their corner ever since. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carloaz. Show carloaz's posts

Born in Somerville Mass. I have an Italian father, the Bruins had Espo...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I became a fan in 1982 when Middleton was walking through defensemen.  Before that, I had gone to games, but I was still to young to be a true fan.

I miss having a player of that caliber on the team.  Maybe Seguin will have some of that dangle and undress in his game.  I know Krejci does, but he's more of a passer.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

At age 5, my dad, a Red Wings fan, taught me to skate and told me to skate like Bobby.

Need I say more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Nice post !....I had to cheer for Boston as my dad was a Hab fan, brother #2 was a Blackhawk fan and brother #3 was a Redwing fan and every kid at school was either a Hab fan or a Leaf fan. That left either Boston or New York. What finished it was my cousin gave me a set of Boston Bruins cards that came from some old cearl company, and there was Dean Prentice and Ed Johnstone among others. We only had 1 tv channel so I would cheer for my Bruins when they were on Hockey Night in Canada. Needless to say, times were bleak until after 67 ! It's being fun ever since. Oh ! My Bruin highlight was when a buddy and I drove from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, to Boston to pick up his brother who was attending Berkely school and I got to see a semi final game between Boston vs Philly with Boston winning in OT and Jean Ratalllie getting first star (78). That was awesome, and they served Labatt's Blue as well !!!!   Go B's Go !!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A Bruins fan via my father's transfer to the booming suburbs of Rochester, NY in the late 50s.  He took me to a couple Rochester Amerks games.  Then suddenly he was transferred back to Keene, NH.  There I realized the Orr phenomena but ironically the goalie in the Bruins net played for the Rochester Amerks, Gerry Cheevers.  Did not play but wish every day I could have.  So I remain a fan on these boards to learn and admire those who have played. Greatest live sport ever! Go Bruins!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Grew up in Massachusetts, with a couple of backyard rinks in my neighborhood.  The first time I saw Terry O'Reilly play the game, I was hooked.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Growing up in Framingham, Mass. at the age of 5 I was already running around begging the bigger kids on the block to let me play street hockey with them, while wearing my #4 Bruins T-shirt with a cartoon bear on the front.

But what really locked me in as a Bruins fan for life was going into the hospital for an eye operation that same year (1972)...I had a lazy eye that was causing me double vision and it was so bad I needed surgery to correct it. Needless to say I was terrified and after waking up from the operation with an eye patch over one eye...I was scared...disoriented...and panicky...

My Dad calmed me down by pointing to the nightstand next to my bed, where a  framed picture of #4 himself suddenly appeared (he had written to the Bruins, explaining my situation, and asking for #4 to respond...)

But it wasn't just a picture of the greatest player who ever played the game...it came with a note, wishing me well, telling me how he too had spent time in hospitals for surgery on his knees, and knew I would be up on my feet and feeling better in no time. In the meantime, it read, I hope you'll keep cheering for me and the Boston Bruins. Signed, Bobby Orr. Can you imagine the impact that note and picture had on a 5-year old kid?

That is why to this day, no matter how many times they tear the heart from my chest, no matter how much I want to cave in the owner's head with a shovel for his indefensible indifference...I will always cheer for the Boston Bruins.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Grew up in Belmont MA. so following the Bruins was natural.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UCONN. Show UCONN's posts

I grew up outside of Hartford in the 80's as an avid Whalers fan (I hated the Bruins). Very fond memories of coming to the Garden and getting harrassed.  Gave up following hockey in the mid 90's when they bolted for Carolina. Moved to Boston in 1996 and stayed away from hockey until the 07 playoffs when the B's took Montreal to 7 games, that sucked me back in and I started rooting for the B's.

Unfortunately since I've been following the B's, I've experienced the same disappointments as I did with the Whalers. The toughest was the game 7 loss in '09 to, of all the teams, the ex-Whalers. 

Sections
Shortcuts