Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77ray77. Show 77ray77's posts

Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?

i would just like to add that i have been reading these boards for the past couple years and have only recently posted, so i am a newcomer, however i would like to thank Wheatskins for this posting as i beleive it is by far the most enjoyable i have read on here, everyones post was a pleasure to read , great job by all, fantastic posting!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Uncle from Arlington had season tickets at ye ol Garden, Older cousins from Burlington were the ones who taught me how great hockey could be to play and my Dad was an absolute freak Orr fan. Had me in Bruins gear from the rooty to the tooty!

Games 5 and 6 of the 1974 Stanley Cup Finals were the games that hooked me. Complete ecstasy then heart break the theme of my life as a Bruin fan up then down. That will soon end Go Bruins!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Grew up on the North Shore of MA.  Played hockey on the pond in my neighborhood with all the other kids.  And then street hockey in the summer.  All while pretending to be players we loved.....Bourque, Neely, Moog/Lemelin, Middleton, etc.  I was never any good (musician not athlete) but it was my favorite sport to play as a kid.  And loved the game ever since.  I love (and watch and follow) all sports, but hockey has always been my favorite.

Just missed the Orr Era.  I was around, but it doesn't count.  I was too little then.  Probably became a "die-hard" in the early '80s.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

May 10th 1970. Orr to Sanderson, back to Orr... GOAL. First game i ever watched (actually it was only the overtime) and I've been hooked since. When I think of the Bruins I still think back to those early 70's teams. I loved Bobby Orr. I had a double lung transplant back in '98 (cystic fibrosis) and when I got home there was a message from Bobby Orr on my answering machine. and i thought why the hell is Bobby Orr calling me? It turned out a writer friend of mine had called the Bruins and told them i was a huge fan of Orr's and could he call. My friend told me and I thought oh well, i missed the call but still it was pretty cool. The next day he called back! We talked for about ten minutes. It was great. I got to thank him and tell him how he was a hero of mine, and how important it was/is to have heroes as a kid. He told me to call him through the Bruins front office and we'd go to a game together the next time I was in Boston. I didn't take him up on it I guess because I'd felt he'd done enough. Love the guy. Love the team. Always will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

When I was 5yrs. old I moved from Niagara Falls New York to Niagara Falls Ontario. We moved to Slater Avenue and around the corner from me on Stamford Street lived Derek Sanderson. The following year I started playing street hockey and Derek would come out and play at his young age.
          In the winter Derek and his dad made a rink in their back yard and they taught me how to skate and I became pretty good. Later on Derek made the Niagara Falls Flyers who was the farm team for the Bruins. Derek saw me waiting to go on the ice at Niagara Arena during a Flyer practise and he let me come on to the ice and pasted me the puck and I scored on Bernie Parrent, that was a great thrill.
           I was already a Bruins fan but was very happy when Derek made the Bruins and have always been a Bruins fan. Derek and his dad helped alot of kids learn to play hockey and I am proud to know Mr. Sanderson and what he and his dad did to help us be better hockey players. I was most proud when Boston won the cup and the Turk set up the Bobby Orr goal that won it for us. Derek was more than just a hockey player he was also a good friend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

My earliest memory is the Andy Moog Cam Neeley days. I remember how much I didn't like Dale Hunter either. My ealiest dissapointment was losing in 3OT's to Edmonton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Brunod, my Dad bought me the Sanderson T-shirt.  I may even still have it in a chest somewhere. :)  He was my Dad's favorite player.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helenefanforever. Show Helenefanforever's posts

Good  Morning  everyone ....Well I'm from Québec-City ..Canada ...The same Town  as Patrice Bergeron.... But  as  for myself on becoming  a  Bruin Fan  it'S  because of  BOBBY ORR ...that 's   right ,,,  MR Orr  I've been a Bruins fan  for 35 years now BECAUSE  OF YOU  SIR ..  .....And that will continue ...Now  and  forever  ....
    I  LOVE  YOU  GUYS  ........
    AND PLEASE  WE  WANT  TO WIN  THE STANLEY  CUP  ........
    SO  ....IT'S  OUR  TIME  IN BOSTON .....WE DESERVE  IT .....
    WE  WANT IT  SO  BAD .....
    GO  BRUINS  GO 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    When I was 5yrs. old I moved from Niagara Falls New York to Niagara Falls Ontario. We moved to Slater Avenue and around the corner from me on Stamford Street lived Derek Sanderson. The following year I started playing street hockey and Derek would come out and play at his young age.       In the winter Derek and his dad made a rink in their back yard and they taught me how to skate and I became pretty good. Later on Derek made the Niagara Falls Flyers who was the farm team for the Bruins. Derek saw me waiting to go on the ice at Niagara Arena during a Flyer practise and he let me come on to the ice and pasted me the puck and I scored on Bernie Parrent, that was a great thrill.        I was already a Bruins fan but was very happy when Derek made the Bruins and have always been a Bruins fan. Derek and his dad helped alot of kids learn to play hockey and I am proud to know Mr. Sanderson and what he and his dad did to help us be better hockey players. I was most proud when Boston won the cup and the Turk set up the Bobby Orr goal that won it for us. Derek was more than just a hockey player he was also a good friend.
    Posted by brunod

Bruno D: I ran into Derek's Dad back in 1971 at a restaurant after a Leaf-Bruin game, in Toronto. We had a nice conversation. He was a very decent man. Not anything like Derek was at the time.

Is Harold still alive?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Good  Morning  everyone ....Well I'm from Québec-City ..Canada ...The same Town  as Patrice Bergeron.... But  as  for myself on becoming  a  Bruin Fan  it'S  because of  BOBBY ORR ...that 's   right ,,,  MR Orr  I've been a Bruins fan  for 35 years now BECAUSE  OF YOU  SIR ..  .....And that will continue ...Now  and  forever  .... I  LOVE  YOU  GUYS  ........ AND PLEASE  WE  WANT  TO WIN  THE STANLEY  CUP  ........ SO  ....IT'S  OUR  TIME  IN BOSTON .....WE DESERVE  IT ..... WE  WANT IT  SO  BAD ..... GO  BRUINS  GO 
    Posted by Helenefanforever

My wife is from Quebec. Before we married in 1979, I used to fly into Quebec, and the airport, as you know is in Ancienne-Lorette. Little did I know that a future Bruin was living there: Patrice Bergeron. I believe he now lives in Chambly, not far from Quebec.

Also, my nephew played against Patrice in the QMJHL. My nephew played for Baie Comeau and was drafted by Brian Burke, who was then with Vancouver.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

You've all just made our great sport even better.  The stories here are a big part of why I love hockey.  I can't read some of them without getting a bit misty-eyed.

I grew up north of Boston in the '50's and '60's.  "artificial ice" didn't exist much then.  We played pond hockey when it was cold enough, but had little idea what we were doing as hockey was only rarely seen on television.  And the Bruins were seemingly always in last place in those days.  They stunk.  But table-top hockey (Canadiens-Rangers) prodded my interest and imagination.  Who was the seemingly mythical Boom-Boom Geoffrion?  I began listening to Bruins games on a small transistor radio under my pillow.  We usually lost, but I kept hearing names like Hull, Mikita, Howe, Delvecchio, Beliveau, Boom-Boom, Plante, Worsley, Bathgate, Mahovlich, Keon, and even Phil Esposito as a Black Hawk.    

My world changed one Sunday afternoon when I watched my first NHL game on CBS' Game-of-the-Week.  Dan Kelly, Bill Mazur in the booth.  The Bruins vs. the Black Hawks at Boston Garden, Hull and Mikita vs. Orr and Esposito.  B's Don Awrey put a major hurt on Mikita, the Garden crowd howled, I'd never heard or seen anything like it (had only seen Red Sox, Celtics and Patriots at the time).  Within weeks, I went to my first Bruins game (vs. Chicago) and that was all she wrote.  What was all that white ice doing indoors anyway?  It seemed almost surreal at first.  To see Hull, Mikita, Orr and Espo (as a Bruin finally) all at once was incredible.  Talk about star power.  I was hooked.  B's won of course, have been a fan ever since.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Does anyone remember...the jingle (music):

"You're with the spirit of 103, where you happen to be. The number 1 station in Boston... WBZ."

In the late 60's and early 70's, in Toronto, we'd catch WBZ in the evenings. I would listen to all the Bruins games with the play-by-play by the great Fred Cusick, and the colour analyst John Pierson and later Cal Gardner.

At the post game report, I remember organist John Kiley would be playing "The Beer Barrell Polka" in the background, after Bruins wins, while Fred and John or Cal were speaking. And I can't forget the commercials for the "International House of Pancakes". We didn't have that chain in Canada. But years later, while in Florida, I spotted one and of course I had to go in and try it.

Then in 1973, the Bruins switched stations and we couldn't the new station's signal, no matter what we tried (WHDH, I believe). What a sad time that was.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

I live in Chicago. First game I went to was against the Bruins. This was 1963 or 64 and I was 12 years old. Hawks won big, I was really happy. My old man said let's go down and see if we can get some autographs. Only Blackhawk who signed for everyone was Bobby Hull; who would stand there all night for people....I still see him around Chicago and he is a great personable guy. All the other Hawks were A-holes. The Bruins came out of the dressing room, and every player was friendly and signed my program. Leo Boiven, Forbes Kennedy, Jerry Toppazini, Murray Oliver and others. Battle cry back then was "we got this 14 year old kid who in 3-4 years is gonna be the best ever"!! Broke my heart when they traded Gilles Marrotte, Pit Martin and Jack Norris to the Hawks for 3 guys who were marginal Hawks.........Espo, Hodge and Stanfield. Guess I changed my mind pretty quick, huh!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Devanjan. Show Devanjan's posts

Lived in England and used to watch the local hockey team the Harringay? Tigers (or was it the Lions?)  back in the late 1940's and early 1950's and liked the game. Moved to Vancouver B.C. in 1953 and the local league was the WHL and I became a (WHL)  Vancouver Canuck fan (they were affiliated with the Rangers. The local paper had a weekly insert - the Star Weekly Magazine - and during the hockey season would have pictures of selected players in uniform. Ed Sandford was the Bruin pictured - and the uniform was totally great.  The Rangers had the next best unform whereas Montreal, Detroit and Toronto uniforms were bland. Never did see a Blackhawks uniform till I moved to Toronto in 1957 and seriously they do have the best uniform of all, but by then the loyalty was established. 

My father did meet Maurice Richard in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1956 as he was appearing at a local event (Buffalo Days?) and Rockets ride didn't show up. He and his Trans Canada Airlines workmates drove him into town and subsequently spent the evening drinking with him at the local tavern. When my old man went to the washroom 4 or 5 guys followed him in and asked if the guy at his table was the Rocket and the old man said "No".  When he returned to the table, he asked Maurice Richard if he was someone famous because everybody thought he was Rocket Somebody. Maurice told him that his nickname was Rocket. So the old man asked what he did and Richard told him that he played hockey. My Dad then asked him for what team. The next morning, my Dad asked me who Maurice Richard was. On the Rocket's next trips to Regina, Richard would call up the old guy and they would head out drinking. They became Tavern Buddies because my father always told everyone that it was not Rocket Richard - just a lookalike.  Even though my old man arranged a meeting between me and the Rocket, I maintained the allegiance to the Bruins while my father became a Montreal fan and subsequently a Toronto fan. The fights we had!

I remember the night that DeGolds mentioned in an earlier post. My Dad and I were arguing about the merits of the B's and the Leafs before the game came on the CBC TV at 9:00 pm.   When they announced the Bruins were leading the Leafs 6-0 - peace reigned, my Mom smiled, and I shut my mouth quickly. The  following Saturday, the B's beat Montreal 6-0.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Northern Ontario ( Sault Ste Marie ) is a long haul from Boston but as a kid in the mid fifties was introduced to the Bruins by my Uncle....He lived near Boston and would visit during those summers...He would tell me of games he attended and describe in great detail his favourite players....I began collecting bubble gum hockey cards and at age 11 had all the 1955-56 Bruins...the love affair is still alive and well....in the begining my favourite players were Fleming Mackell ,Jerry Toppazzini and Johnny Bucyk....later Murray Oliver...but the absolute very best Bobby Orr....in the 70's I met Leo LaBine long retired Bruin at an Old Timers hockey game in Sudbury Ontario I was involved in...he still stood out

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

In Response to Everyone: How did you become a Bruin fan?:
    [QUOTE]Let's get a light, nostalgic post going here: Up until the age of ten I was just a hockey fan watching mostly OHL hockey (junior A back then). Hamilton Red Wings on TV Thursday nights and doubleheader Sundays at Maple Leaf Gardens, where St. Mike's and Toronto Marlies played an opponents each. I took a shine to two teams, who where very good and exciting then: Oshawa Generals and Niagara Falls Flyers. The Bruins at the time were for many years finishing in last place. However, These two teams were affiliated with the Bruins and one day their players would move on to Boston, if they were good enough. Oshawa, of course, had Bobby Orr. They also had Wayne Cashman, Barry Wilikins, Nick Beverley, Ian Young (what a goalie he was, too bad an eye injury finished his career then, and I am still saddened, to this day, by what he could have done in Boston) and many more. Niagara Falls had Derek Sanderson, Ron Schock, Bill Goldsworthy, Bernie Parent, Don Awrey, John Arbour, Doug Favell and many more. I thought that one day the Bruins will have a great team. And at age 11, the Boston Bruins became my team in November 1964. An uncle of mine, a big hockey fan, asked me on Saturday who would win that night's hockey game (the Bruins were playing the Leafs at MLG). I replied: Boston. He laughed. "Fano schifo. Perdono sempre." (They stink. They always lose). It made me upset. "Ammazano i Leafs sta sera. Ti faccio vedere", (They'll kill the Leafs tonight. I'll show you), I said. That night we sat down together and watched Hockey Night in Canada. And BINGO - Bruins 11, Leafs 0. My uncle couldn't take it and left after the sixth goal. And I was glowing with pride and imagining who much better it would become to be a Bruin fan because all those junior players from Oshawa and Niagara Falls would one day play in Boston. Boston was officially my team now.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]
    Wheatskins, I've only read about Ian Young. i remember a big article back in the 70's (Fran Rosa maybe?) that told his story. He was listed that year (73'?) as an invitee to Bruins training camp. I don't think he ever showed up because I devoured everything Bruins back then and didn't see or hear mention of him after that article. This past year I wrote a piece for a book called 'Puck Funnies,' it was about 5 Bruins nobody outside of Boston would give a sh@t about. One was Norman Levielle with a nod to Ian Young. The thing I remember most about the article was that there were two players coming out of juniors who were going to be superstars for the Bruins; Orr and Young. It's too bad. Do you know what ever happened with him?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

DavidOrr:

I'll never forget the shock I felt when I heard the news back in 1967. It was off a shot by Mickey Redmond.

Here's an article from Dec. 2008:
    http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/news/article/115656

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

I was 8 and Played on a minor hockey team in Red Deer, Alberta, the RED DEER BRUINS. We were the best team in the league and I started watching Hockey Night In Canada to see the Bruins play the Habs and Leafs and started pulling for the B's. That was 28 years ago and I still haven't see a cup, but I patiently waiting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

Being from NB Canada. It was mostly Habs & Leafs, my Dad wasn't big into sports, but he was a Leaf fan. One day a really good friend of my Dads came over & he didn't have any kids at that time. He brought me a little Bobby Orr hockey stick & puck for my 4th birthday. I took that stick & puck everywhere! During the play-offs that year. I remember my Dad & his friend watching a game. My Dad says. "Bobby Orr is playing, come watch!" Even at 4 I could see how this man dominated when he was on the ice. I remember my Dad & friend talking. " Why doesn't someone go after him? my Dad would say. "They don't rush the guy because if they do he'll make them look like fools!" "Look at how this guy skates compared to everyone else!" It was the most incredible thing my 4 yr old eyes ever seen. I've been hooked eversince! The 76 Canada Cup is another thing where Bobby showed where he was, even on one leg against the best in the world! He was the BEST & Nobody comes close!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

[QUOTE]DavidOrr: I'll never forget the shock I felt when I heard the news back in 1967. It was off a shot by Mickey Redmond. Here's an article from Dec. 2008: http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/news/article/115656
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Thanks Wheatskins. Asked and answered.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

[QUOTE]Growing up in Framingham, Mass. at the age of 5 I was already running around begging the bigger kids on the block to let me play street hockey with them, while wearing my #4 Bruins T-shirt with a cartoon bear on the front. But what really locked me in as a Bruins fan for life was going into the hospital for an eye operation that same year (1972)...I had a lazy eye that was causing me double vision and it was so bad I needed surgery to correct it. Needless to say I was terrified and after waking up from the operation with an eye patch over one eye...I was scared...disoriented...and panicky... My Dad calmed me down by pointing to the nightstand next to my bed, where a  framed picture of #4 himself suddenly appeared (he had written to the Bruins, explaining my situation, and asking for #4 to respond...) But it wasn't just a picture of the greatest player who ever played the game...it came with a note, wishing me well, telling me how he too had spent time in hospitals for surgery on his knees, and knew I would be up on my feet and feeling better in no time. In the meantime, it read, I hope you'll keep cheering for me and the Boston Bruins. Signed, Bobby Orr. Can you imagine the impact that note and picture had on a 5-year old kid? That is why to this day, no matter how many times they tear the heart from my chest, no matter how much I want to cave in the owner's head with a shovel for his indefensible indifference...I will always cheer for the Boston Bruins.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

TryToBearIt:  GREAT story!!!  Thanks for sharing. 

A co-worker took me to my first game with her husband.  We saw the Lowell Lockness Monsters.  I was hooked!  Went to my first Bruins game and have been a fan since then.  Mind you, I can barely skate, am a woman and never watched hockey until middle age.  The best sport with the greatest fans.  I always have guys buy me beer who play hockey and tell me they wish more women loved the game.  I go with friends or by myself at times.  The most underrated sports with the nicest professional athletes.

Sections
Shortcuts