Expectations of Horton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Expectations of Horton

Not too much discussion on this guy, but he seems like the real deal. He has a great shot, he is physical @ 6'2 229lbs and apparently is very excited about becoming a Bruin. I would like to predict a career year for him (but im a sheep wearing the black and Gold glasses drinking a big cup of the koolaid). What are some of your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Expectations of Horton

In Response to Expectations of Horton:
    [QUOTE]Not too much discussion on this guy, but he seems like the real deal. He has a great shot, he is physical @ 6'2 229lbs and apparently is very excited about becoming a Bruin. I would like to predict a career year for him (but im a sheep wearing the black and Gold glasses drinking a big cup of the koolaid). What are some of your thoughts?
    Posted by lucicfan[/QUOTE]

Horton was one of the very few players on the Panthers who scared me whenever he stepped on the ice.

I would love to see him on the wing with Savard. Savvy's passes are absolutely deadly, but it takes a special player to be able to handle them. I think Horton has that ability, which is a big reason why I'd go crazy if the Bruins trade Savard. 

The only thing that worries me is the idea that Horton wants so badly to prove himself that he'll try to do too much. But he's been around for a few years and hopefully that won't be a problem. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Agree Duinne about Savard and Horton. I'm excited to see Lucic on one side and Horton on the other-That can be a real problem for the rest of the NHL. My expectations are 25-30 goals, and a physical presence on the forecheck and in front of the net. It could be a big year for Marc Savard if this line clicks - I don't do it much, but this and Seguin are really something to look forward to -

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I'm looking for 30-35 goals from Horton. I think he'll become a real fan favorite as well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

40+ goals.  Savy and Krej are better than Weiss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

honestly i think he nets 28-32 goals, and about 40 assists wouldnt be far fetched either, plus i think his physical play will be huge. hell he might even teach wheeler how to win a battle or two.

also possible his enthusiasm for a legit playoff chance leads to some injury time but i dont think anything serious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

30 goals and a physical presence and i will be happy!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsNumber4. Show BruinsNumber4's posts

In Response to Re: Expectations of Horton:
    [QUOTE]Im satisfied with: 30 goal, 30 assists, 60 points I expect: 36-35-71 I wouldn't be surprised by, but would be thrilled with 40-32-72 I have lofty expectations for him, he has the talent, I think that he is a great fit for Boston
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

agreed, the more i think about it the better it seems. i know florida stinks, and are rebuilding with picks.but he shows good consistant numbers and hes 25 years old. not exactly an X factor on your rebuild effort.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Don't want to get too excited...25+ goals...

I really want to see him fight though...looking at youtube clips, he looks like he can throw em, but I've never heard him get called a good fighter...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

25 to 30 goals and play physical, I agree duinne he would be a great fit playing with Savard. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

He's been averaging 24 goals a year at 71 games per so 27-32 is realistic. Horton should see allot of PP time so Bruins fans should/would expect more. Anything is better than WIDE MANs spin move then collapse at the blueline!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Expecations? 30-40 goals, 70-75 pts. Would love to see another 50 goal man on the B's! He's as close as a Neely as we ever had since Cam hung them up!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

IF he plays to his full ability he can be a 40+ goal guy. I was critical of the trade but now that he's a Bruin I'm behind him 100%.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RayBaz. Show RayBaz's posts

Hope for a 35+ goals and 30-40 assists this year. Hopefully the physical side of his game is where we all wish it to be but I have read some reports on him and have seen him in action a bit, too and he seems to not play up to size at times. Maybe I am wrong. Possibly being on a better team than ever before will motivate him to exceed even his best past performances. I want to see a hard-hitting, shot machine that works his tail off every game and meshes well with the team. That's all we as fans ask for: wholehearted effort, physical play and goals baby, GOALS!!!
    Sheet. Can't wait for training camp to start.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

He should replace the goals we lost when Kessel left 2 years ago.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Seeing so many people expecting Horton to bring a "physical presence" makes me nervous, because if you're expecting him to hit on a regular basis, you'll be disappointed.

In 2009-10, Horton played 65 games and was credited with only 34 hits.  Michael Ryder and Blake Wheeler, over 82 games, were credited with 109 and 70 hits respectively.  That's right.  Horton hit half as often as Wheeler, and a third as often as Ryder.  Horton also had zero major penalties and only 45 min. overall - not really playing with an edge.

He was better two years ago with 95 hits, but that's the only year over the last 4 where he was a better than hit/game player.  Lucic, by contrast, had 141 hits in 50 games in a year where his wheels were compromised.  He had 262 hits the year before.

Horton's a big body and a strong kid, and he'll use those attributes to help him score, but if you're looking for him to play a Neely-type game in any way, shape, or form, I guarantee you'll be calling for his head by Christmas.  Sorry.

I think he's good for 28 goals, 35 assists.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to Re: Expectations of Horton:
    [QUOTE]Seeing so many people expecting Horton to bring a "physical presence" makes me nervous, because if you're expecting him to hit on a regular basis, you'll be disappointed. In 2009-10, Horton played 65 games and was credited with only 34 hits.  Michael Ryder and Blake Wheeler, over 82 games, were credited with 109 and 70 hits respectively.  That's right.  Horton hit half as often as Wheeler, and a third as often as Ryder.  Horton also had zero major penalties and only 45 min. overall - not really playing with an edge. He was better two years ago with 95 hits, but that's the only year over the last 4 where he was a better than hit/game player.  Lucic, by contrast, had 141 hits in 50 games in a year where his wheels were compromised.  He had 262 hits the year before. Horton's a big body and a strong kid, and he'll use those attributes to help him score, but if you're looking for him to play a Neely-type game in any way, shape, or form, I guarantee you'll be calling for his head by Christmas.  Sorry. I think he's good for 28 goals, 35 assists.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Interesting comments. I heard the same thing of Horton, but most of us Bruin fans drink the kool-aid too quickly.  I hate Wideman, but he did lead the B's in playoffs points as a d-man (i know he got some for the other team too) and now we are calling for Ryder to be gone, who might take days off in the regular season, but plays well in the playoffs.  I am not convinced that this B's team is that much better than last years team. Maybe in 2 - 3 years, but next year? Small improvement at best, while other teams in the East have made big improvements.

I still can't wait for opening night, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

If this team is going to be a force, they're going to have to score.  The big fix for that was to bring in Horton, so my expectations are growing as the season approaches.

Factors:

If Horton plays as billed:  "He is 25 years old and has scored over 30 goals once and over 20 goals in five consecutive seasons. He is a shooter who plays a power game."

If Savard returns to form (75% possible) and mixes well with Horton (much less than 75% possible)...

If the left winger can play a solid game (50% possible)...

Should all of these things happen, I'd like to see 35-40-75 from this player.

Because all of those things won't happen, I expect 25-30-55 to materialize. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

40 - 45 = 85

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Believe he'll pot 30+ this year given an abundance of PP time.....big body but he doesnt play that way, lets not force it onto him, same as Wheeler just cause your a big body doesnt mean you need to fly around & hit everything that moves.

My only fear is Savard force feeding this kid passes, he does it quite a bit, same as Ryders first year (not comparing Ryder to Horton, so dont go down that road; talkign solely of Savard forcing the pass).....Savard w/ this threat on his line & D cheating the pass as the league knows he likes to pass first, if he shoots even a bit he could have 25+ goals w/ Horton getting around the same or more as once it gets out he is shooting more will open up those lanes vs. Horton getting his 30 & Savard 15 along w/ dozens of chances a game wasted trying to be too cute w/ it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Nothing less than 35 Goals

I say 37g 39a 76pts .....him and Big Wheel will compete for the most goals...I say Big Wheel will score around 35g

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

I do not know what he'll do, but my bet is that Lucic will have a great year. I'm on record for 40+ from Lucic. If he does, Horton will get more breathing room, and should get north of 30.
    All this is predicated on Savard returning at his usual self, or Krejci taking over the #1 spot (I don't think he's ever going to be a true #1, but a great #2)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

God, I hope some of these posters know somehting I don't know, because I would be shocked with 25 goals each from Lucic and Wheeler.  I think Lucic will be lucky to have 20.  Wheeler is a total wild card.

As for Horton, you can only hope that he feels reinvigorated with the Bruins and plays with something to prove, since he seemed to take some nights off in Florida.  With Savvy setting him up, I am really hoping he scores 30 goals and that should lead the Bruins. 

They key for me, is that the Bruins restore what made them so good two years ago -- balanced scoring from the top three lines.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Every time someone calls him "Big Wheel" I'm compelled to say "you mean Proud Mary?"  If he get's rollin', the urge might pass.

I think there's plenty of offensive potential in Lucic - but 40 seems a like stretch let alone 40+.  When healthy, I think he settles into a nice career of 25-35 per year.  I don't know if this will be a 35 year or if he'll continue an incremental improvement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I am thinking maybe 30-35 goals if he plays with savard. If savard is traded 25-30 goals, With that in mind he should be that kind of player. He needs to be a physical force when he is not scoring. My estimated projection if savard stays, 35goals 40 asst, 75 pts. If i am wrong he will score more in the lines of what no4 bobby orr- goat said.

Sections
Shortcuts