Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last

Last year in October the Bruins played 11 games, and scored for a GPG of 2.09~
    This year in October the Bruins played 12 games, and scored for a GPG of 2.5

Which means the issue isn't less goal scoring since there is clearly more. It's less puck control, and less consistency.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last

I'm getting different numbers:  2.636 for last year and 2.583 for this year.  If you toss out that Carolina game (which looks like an aberration) this year drops to 2.18 (if you want to toss out the largest data point from last year you can, that drops last year to 2.4 GPG but they scored 5 goals twice and 4 once so it isn't that out of line like the 7 against Carolina).

What's really interesting is the percentage of games where they scored 3 or more goals (should be enough for a win with a good defense).
    Last year:  45%
    This year:  58%

It's really hard to use numbers to get this years edition of the Bruins pegged down.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BradyBruin. Show BradyBruin's posts

Consistency is the issue - which I think they've shown over the last stretch they are improving and playing more solid hockey.. Lundqvist just beat us yesterday. Missing Savard doesn't help either.
    I'm not too worried, this is still a deep solid team that can compete with just about anyone. They should continue to improve and get guys back this month. Moves will be made later in the season and hopefully we'll be more prepared for the stretch run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

At least their consistent in being inconsistent.

But seriously, their biggest issue right now is their power play. It's terrible!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Agreed...5 PP's agains NYR and no goals, not even many shots until the last 2 PP's! Bruins Games against the Rags are always low-scoring, close games. The Power Play HAS to get going, it makes a BIG difference! The look lacking in the confidence dept. IMO!
    At the point I saw many times yesterday a chance to shoot and then a slight hesitation and the shots got blocked. Wideman, Chara and Morris all are doing this. The fowards are just not attacking the net, Kreijci, Recchi, Ryder are all doing this...they gain entry and then seem to go toward the boards or just circle around and lose possesion.
    Sad part is, they have looked better lately and the results are just not there, which makes me think that Savard and Lucic coming back WILL make a difference! Maybe it's just me and my optimism but I think they will break out soon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

This thread is a great reason why you have to look deeper than the stats.  Quite simply- THE TEAM IS NOT AS GOOD AS LAST YEAR'S TEAM AT THIS POINT.  Compare whatever you guys want- these guys are not scoring goals and they are hurting in the standings.  If you wanna compare to LAST YEARS group go ahead-but remember how good the B's did LAST YEAR?  Check their november record and compare THAT...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If you're looking at the record, then no, this team isn't as good as last year's.  I think the point though is that the difference isn't goalscoring, or that number of goals isn't the whole story.  Last year, they came out scoring almost 4 goals a game for the first four games, but they also gave up 4 in the first three of those four.  The 'D' in the early going last year was awful.  So, they concentrated on the D and stopped scoring.  With the exception of a 5-4 game over Atlanta, they scored a total of 7 goals over 5 games.  The difference between last year and this year?  They got two 1-0 shutouts in that stretch - back to back in EDM and VAN.  They only started to score and win consistently once they got their defensive game under control.  After those two 1-0 games, they found their groove and started to win by two, three goals for the next two months.

With the terrible PK to start the year, they clearly had defensive issues to clear up first.  They've given up 3 goals in the last 3 games.  The system generates offense from good defense - that's the next step if they're following the basic script from last year.  It'll start with the PP - one PP goal in each of the last three and the Bruins are undefeated over that stretch.  They have enough talent to score at a competitive pace, and they will at some point.  The risk is that it's taking longer this time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lennymegz. Show lennymegz's posts

How about the old fashioned eye test... This team is vastly different from last season talent and chemistry wise. More importantly they are not as good.

Gone from last years squad: cleary some chemistry is missing with all these hard working veterans gone, something Chiarelli may have underestimated.

Kessel

Kobasew

Ward

Axelsson

Yelle

Hnidy'

Montador

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last:
    [QUOTE]How about the old fashioned eye test... This team is vastly different from last season talent and chemistry wise. More importantly they are not as good.  Gone from last years squad: cleary some chemistry is missing with all these hard working veterans gone, something Chiarelli may have underestimated. Kessel Kobasew Ward Axelsson Yelle Hnidy' Montador
    Posted by lennymegz[/QUOTE]

Kessel I agree and has not been replaced this far but he wouldn't have helped as he's just getting back.
    Ward,  give me a break ! He's horrible right now.
    Axelsson , I do miss him a little but seems Paille doing the job.
    Yelle ,  released last week, he's taken 4 steps backward since last season. He's not missed.
    Hnidy, I did like his leadership. Just have nothing bad to say on this guy.
    Monatodor ???? come on Lenny! you got to be kidding me. Besides he only joined the Bruins late and did not improve the team.
    Kobasew, a victim of the system. Bruins need cap space with the injuries . He's been replaced by Sobotka and Marchand. He's  done nothing in Minni yet.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last : Sorry BsLegion I forgot people like you were on the board. I'll just stick with the company line. "Yay! Go Bruins Go!" The Bruins are wicked awsome and they will win the Cup!!! Oh and Kessel and Thornton STINK!!! B's ownership and management RULES!!! The future is BRIGHT!!! There you go BsLegion, I know thats just what you wanted to hear.

I guess you're not reading I haven't praised the Bruins lately at all.
    Come up with better reasons. The only ones you mentioned that I can peg are Kessel and Ax gone that to me made a difference being gone.  I never never said Kessel or Joe Thornton stink, never.
    I guess you're just trying to get under the skin of some fans here on this board.
    Okay.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Ward and Yelle have been part of the giant cluster frottage going on in Carolina.  Montador was a spaz.  Kobasew has two point is 7 games with the Wild.  Hnidy made the most of what he had, but that's not much.  When it comes to veteran leadership vs. talent, youth, and energy, sometimes you have to endure a little disequilibrium before things get sorted out.  Kessel is a different question, and frankly F()ck Kessel.  He's a non-issue.  I got your original point, Lenny, but I think they gambled on needing time to find new chemistry.  Until they find it, it won't be possible to really say if they have more or less talent.  I'm inclined to think that they have slightly more talent as a whole.  It hasn't shown up much yet.  In a way, that's more damning of their effort and focus than saying they aren't as good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

3 Goals against last 3 games and 2 losses, that is not goaltending problems that is scoring.

Sturm 2 goals in 13 games this year, 7 in 19 last year, hopefully he gets a hang nail and sits and we will go on the run like we did when he got hurt last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The way Sturm is, he could still have 7 in 19 by the time they get there.

3 in 3 probably has little to do with goaltending, but my point is that it has something to do with team defense. When you're giving up as many goals as the Bruins have been, you have to do what you can to lock down the defensive end.  That's going to include being more conservative in terms of D joining the rush and two men deep on the forecheck etc.  In those same three games, they've given up 3 goals as well.  That's progress.  And I think it's Julien's blueprint for getting things under control - simplify the game by concentrating on good defense, then build on that confidence by capitalizing on the turnovers that good D will create.  To see real success, they have to have the PP going as well.  That's where they create leads that force other teams to take risks.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last : Sorry BsLegion I forgot people like you were on the board. I'll just stick with the company line. "Yay! Go Bruins Go!" The Bruins are wicked awsome and they will win the Cup!!! Oh and Kessel and Thornton STINK!!! B's ownership and management RULES!!! The future is BRIGHT!!! There you go BsLegion, I know thats just what you wanted to hear.

Lenny, you sound like someone who not only hates to be wrong, but fears it.

You also   sound like a drama queen.

If you grow up and show some respect I'm sure you will have some interesting contributions to make here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

[QUOTE]This thread is a great reason why you have to look deeper than the stats.  Quite simply- THE TEAM IS NOT AS GOOD AS LAST YEAR'S TEAM AT THIS POINT.  Compare whatever you guys want- these guys are not scoring goals and they are hurting in the standings.  If you wanna compare to LAST YEARS group go ahead-but remember how good the B's did LAST YEAR?  Check their november record and compare THAT...
    Posted by stingerjp[/QUOTE]

Well, stinger? What have you found in your profound analysis of the stats? Doesn't sound like your opinion is based on any facts in particular here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeamJim. Show BeamJim's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last : Well, stinger ? What have you found in your profound analysis of the stats? Doesn't sound like your opinion is based on any facts in particular here.
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you be watching The View or ironing a shirt or something?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Fact: Goals per game in OCT this year vs last : Well, stinger ? What have you found in your profound analysis of the stats? Doesn't sound like your opinion is based on any facts in particular here.
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

Main point- last year's stats are not a valid barometer of where this team is.  How can you compare the same point from last year and make it sound like things are fine- starting in NOV, the team got RED HOT. The B's have some holes in their lineup and their play right now that they didn't have last year:  Savard is out, LUcic is out, goal scoring is way DOWN since these injuries.  Those guys were healthy LAST YEAR.  Is this based in enough facts for you?

The team is struggling to score right now, they are not healthy, and they are inconsistent.  These weren't issues last year.  If you try to say that this start is similar to last year's, you are way off.

I am not giving up on anything, but my expectations are not as high as they were.  There are going to be a few more bumps in the road but i am confident they will turn out ok.  Just don't insult everyone's intelligence by insinuating that they are off to the same start as last year...