Fairweather fans need to go

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michelle-. Show Michelle-'s posts

Fairweather fans need to go

I went to the game last night and I just want to say that having the thursday college nights is by far the worst idea ever. I am lucky my section was mostly season ticket holders, but if I heard one more LET'S GO RED SOX chant, or someone who has no idea what they are talking about yelling" SHOOT THE PUCK!" I was going to punch someone.

And I found it entertaining to see all the fairweather fans clear out when there was 8 minutes left in the game. Obviously they weren't going to win, but you should still be there to support your team. Some people make me sick.

These kids only use these nights to have somewhere to show up wasted, find a fight, and get on the jumbo-tron. This needs to end so people who actually like this team and know what's going on in the game can enjoy themselves.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

Re: COLLEGE NIGHT NEEDS TO END

best cure for this problem: DONT PAY ATTENTION TO EM

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Should I even go watch them tomorrow ? 
    (kidding of course)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Listen, I'm a college student, and the biggest die hard bruins fan you'll find. I get chirped on this site all the time for being young, apparently that means I can't understand hockey, but I studied the game for about 17 years. My point being that not all college students are ignorant. I hate it too when people yell "SHOOT SHOOT" on a power play not understanding that the boys are looking to work the overload or something, but don't generalize like that. I work an unpaid internship and just about the only way I could ever afford to go to a game is with some sort of "student night." Your going to find bad hockey fans in any age group, don't blame it all on the youngins

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

also, the sox are in the post season, i wouldn't be surprised if a lets go red sox chant broke out in a new england church

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Wait a minute. Are there colleges in Boston?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: COLLEGE NIGHT NEEDS TO END:
    [QUOTE]Like OMG! Someone shouted "SHOOT THE PUCK" at a Bruins game??? Oh the humanity... However did you survive shelly??? Perhaps you should TiVo The View and stay at home and invite pansie boy dkrejci46 to come over and watch it with you. These pinkhat broads and sissy boys are a joke. Stay at home if it is too "barbaric" for you.
    Posted by EvolutionFan[/QUOTE]

Are you naturally a jerk, or do you work at it?

It's annoying when ignorant fans yell "shoot" constantly no matter the situation; any hockey fan with half a brain finds it irritating. It's not "barbaric," it's stupid, akin to starting the wave in the late innings of a tight game at Fenway. A "pinkhat" fan is someone who's yelling "shoot," not someone who's annoyed by it.

Unfortunately bandwagon fans will always attach themselves to a winning team, and there's not much to be done about it. I actually spent most of one of the games I went to last year trying to explain the rules to a gentleman sitting next to me who had obviously never attended a hockey game before. But at least he was honest about his ignorance, and not yelling "SHOOT" every two seconds.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: COLLEGE NIGHT NEEDS TO END : Are you naturally a jerk, or do you work at it? It's annoying when ignorant fans yell "shoot" constantly no matter the situation; any hockey fan with half a brain finds it irritating. It's not "barbaric," it's stupid, akin to starting the wave in the late innings of a tight game at Fenway. A "pinkhat" fan is someone who's yelling "shoot," not someone who's annoyed by it. Unfortunately bandwagon fans will always attach themselves to a winning team, and there's not much to be done about it. I actually spent most of one of the games I went to last year trying to explain the rules to a gentleman sitting next to me who had obviously never attended a hockey game before. But at least he was honest about his ignorance, and not yelling "SHOOT" every two seconds.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

With you 100% duinne. 

"Oh the humanity" nothing, some people are idiots.  Do you think the Bruins are going to listen to you when you yell to shoot the puck?  If anything, it's distracting and probably hurts the team more than it helps.  Most players will tell you (and stats probably back it up) that power plays are more effective on the road than at home because of it.

I also disagree with the generalization the OP had about College Nights (in that it's not becuase it's college night) but we share the exact same annoyances. 

I've got to the point where if there's some "shoot!" people in my section, I yell "SHOOOOOOTTTT!!" in their direction during but not limited to:  Icings.  TV Timeouts.  Offsides.  Any Whistle.  Open Ice Hits.  Line Changes etc.  It's satisfying, and fans around me who are also annoyed with those kinds of people like knowing they're not the only ones annoyed.  That's just my experience with it though.

And leaving with lots of time left is pretty ridiculous also.  I pay good money to go into Boston to watch a game and I'm mostly there for the HOCKEY GAME itself, Bruins a very close second.  If my team isn't winning I don't leave before the game is over and cry about how we're not gonna 'win the cup'. 

Fact is, it's like life - there's every kind of person there from diehard fans, fairweather, morons, kids, college students etc... so gotta take the bad with the good I suppose. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's a growing culture in the hockey world across hockey markets. Now I'm not going to get into the psychology of today's "fan". Keep the story for another day, a day I'm fully awake.
    Even in Montreal where hockey is a religion was swamped with fans that know nothing about the sport . Their marketing team had a great campaign for their 100 year anniversary and brought about all ther bandwagoners (lol, is it even a word).  I remember going to a game being invited by clients and how they ranted raved the best show in town. I was shocked at the comments they were saying about the game . Things like ,  " Last year they shot the puck more and got it on net" Like the players were intentionally missing and not wanting to score as the year before  or  " Their millionaires  , come do my job for a day ! "  or " Hey that was a hard hit, that's a penalty "  and I'm saying to myself , uhmmmm, what am I doing here ??? Shut up they're clients .
    I've had this conversation with a poster (kennedy NH) over the summer and he was correct in saying that the Bruins fan base is the same. It's growing , even here at the hub, there are more and more un-educated hockey fans. Too bad because I want to hang-on to pride in saying in Boston we have the  best hockey fans. Maybe I'm getting too old and nit picking.... 
    All in all to me still one of the best sports events to enjoy with any person sitting next to me.
    GO BRUINS !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from amazinglarry. Show amazinglarry's posts

Yeah okay No4BobbyOrr-GOAT... I can hear other fans yelling and that means I'm really not watching the game or even a fan of it.  That's some brilliant insight.

Err... were you able to read this post?  You might have been 'watching the game'.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctbruin. Show ctbruin's posts

Another good reason not to pay money to see the Bruins this year...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Kind of difficult not to hear a couple of hundred morons yelling SHOOT (or other inanities) when they're surrounding you, no matter how "into the game" you are.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Sad, I've been to games in TO, OTT and Mon where I've been basically all alone on the B's fan front with people yelling screaming and taunting me because I was wearing a B sweater. If I could block out them surely you should be able to block a few faithful fans in your own environment.

To smily face err, duh there is no game on now!

If the game is not fun for you to watch, then stay home and someone else will gladly take your ticket.  You miss more at the rink than you doat home in front of a TV, the reason you go is to be involved in the playas it happensand the crowd is some of the bonus you get at the game, yes I guess it can be a deterrent, if you dislike crowds but then why would you go to a stadium filled with 20000 screaming idiots that don't really know the game.

I wish I were able to say that I was still part of the University/College crowd but that is a few years past.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tylerwhidden. Show tylerwhidden's posts

If Boston has over 150 colleges and universities and is a major, world-wide financial district, why are Red Sox fans ignorant hillbillies?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

can we just all agree that michelle is just a whiner and move on?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

I wouldn't say Michele is a whiner. There is a difference between a passionate fan who is reacting to the game, and some punk who had a few beers and is acting like a clown. I think that's most likely what she was referring to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from j44thor. Show j44thor's posts

but if I heard one more LET'S GO RED SOX chant

Yeah God forbid someone chant Lets Go Red Sox during an early season Bruins game.
    I would hate it if a Lets Go Bruinis chant broke out during an early season Red Sox game.  Oh wait that happened while the B's were in the playoffs last season.

What are you a Yankees fan?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]Michelle should stay home and knit a sweater if she doesn't like people shouting at a hockey game or god forbid they leave early in a humilating 6-1 loss on home ice, they should stay to the end like she does and wave the pom poms. Give me a break. The Bruins had 3 shots in the third period against Washington and 4 in the third period against Anaheim, how dare anyone yell "shoot the puck"! Go bake a casserole Michelle and take your yenta sessions to the Martha Stewart boards
    Posted by TTtheFloppingFOOL[/QUOTE]

Amd here we have more proof that reading comprehension in American schools is being severely neglected.

If you've ever been to a hockey game - ANY hockey game, from the NHL to peewees - you will be familiar with the extremely annoying phenomenon of fans screaming "SHOOT!" at every ridiculously inapropriate moment. It is, without a doubt, the most irritating thing you as a fan will hear on a regular basis. THAT is what the complaint is about: Ignorant fans proclaiming their ignorance at the tops of their lungs. Boston fans should know better - this isn't Tampa Bay or Phoenix. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Big-Bad-Bruins91. Show Big-Bad-Bruins91's posts

College night's been going on for decades.

At least they have enthusiasm for the game, you sound like a dud of a fan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

michelle, i have some advice for you....if you don't like college kids, do not come to boston

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

[QUOTE]Funny how you just know the misogynist comments come from the guys who either can't get, or don't "like" women.
    Posted by MedfordMickey[/QUOTE]

HA! Mickey, you're my hero!  

Their retort to you (if any) will be all about the hot broads they get and how you're a homosexual. Textbook. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

[QUOTE]Listen, I'm a college student, and the biggest die hard bruins fan you'll find. I get chirped on this site all the time for being young, apparently that means I can't understand hockey, but I studied the game for about 17 years. My point being that not all college students are ignorant. I hate it too when people yell "SHOOT SHOOT" on a power play not understanding that the boys are looking to work the overload or something, but don't generalize like that. I work an unpaid internship and just about the only way I could ever afford to go to a game is with some sort of "student night." Your going to find bad hockey fans in any age group, don't blame it all on the youngins
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

This. Once again D-Krej hits the nail on the head.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from elmatador1225. Show elmatador1225's posts

Yeah thats true, college students shouldn't be allowed into the game.  They should also be more considerate at a hockey game.  They obviously all show up wasted too like you said.  What a brilliant observation.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris-nh. Show chris-nh's posts

Don't forget the ever popular shouting of 'SKATE!'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Mysoginist sounds like my soggy u know whats.  I don't think anyone here said they hate women.

Me thinks you dost protest too much - stripping (that was the ladies).

If you take your kids or wife to the bar, they are going to see and here things they shouldn't.

I know, I have taken my older kids to games and it is smart to know where you are getting your seats before if you can at all do this.  A bleacher creature is just that and that is what you can expect when you get tickets there.  Yes everyone should have decency when in public, but when you add booze to any situation the outcome is inevitable the 3 r's ( rudeness, Rowdiness and a little in the Rawness).

I'm just havin' a bit of fun with you all.  If someone was crossing the line I would speak up and I would expect most men in the vicinity would do the same ( except for the strippers) and stop any unacceptable activities.

Though it is still a very large bar and you must expect the worst.

Sections
Shortcuts