Ference & Hunwick again - WHAT THE F&^*!!!???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Re: Ference & Hunwick again - WHAT THE F&^*!!!???

I believe that the Bruins will need to appraoch the d situation very soon before it becomes our Achilles Heel. I will think that Bart and McQuaid are the back ups for d men. Our 5 days rest for practicing and readjusting the lines will be a help but if Hunwick and Ference are not committing give the two prov. boys some NHl time. Or the Bruins may need go shopping for a solid d man via trade  do whatever it takes to solidy the situation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

From what i read ferrence played thru an injury in game 2 and to me should not of played, and as far as Hunwick goes, he has not been the same since having his spleen removed and that was how long ago ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I like Ference, he does a lot of good things.  For a small guy he will hit, he has grit, he makes a lot of nice passes and he is very quick.  I was really excited when they traded for him as I was watching a LOT of Western Canada games at that time, seeing the Flames play about twice a week.  His injuries are starting to bother me though.  He hasnt played over 60 games since 2005.

Hunwick Ill give you, he looks lost many times out there and seems to make huge mistakes because of.....whatever it is causing him to look lost.  Im not sure if he's just not ready or what, but he gets on my last nerve.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

I hear ya guys, Ference to me is not a 'bad' defenseman but he is too slow w/ his decision making at times.....Hunwick needs a 'system' that is puck posession, D flow into the neutral, etc; he will not be successful in the CJ system & he really looks lost @ his role & positioning......I really think he could be a good player, just not under Julien, maybe Washington like a poor man's Mike Green type??  I hate giving up on him, but the kid is just not making a case for ice time, that Bartkowski is a player maybe have him on the roster & those two battle it out for playing time all season??? 

Who the heck knows, just cant have these two as a pairing for my mental health & cable company receiving calls for new remotes every other game hahaa!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with most of the posters here.  I think Hunwick is the problem.  When he played with Seidenberg, Seidenberg looked terrible too.  Ference is fine for a 4-6 defensemen as long as you don't expect much on the offensive end.  Hunwick has been playing AHL hockey for a year now and I wouldn't wait too long to give McQuaid and Bartkowski a chance to rotate in.

Giving up Wideman in the offseason has likely extended the tolerance for Hunwick, since the team is missing good skating d-man who can jump in the play.  Enough is enough though.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DallasSmith. Show DallasSmith's posts

Ference was one of the B's best defenceman a couple of years ago.Injuries have taken there toll,maybe he can bounce back.I don't like the pairing with Hunwick though .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

Mike Green is terrible?  Wow, everyone in the league would hate to have this guy on their roster huh.....last seasons D-stats! Would lead the B's in points, also w/ a +39.....ya he's terrible!
    NameTeamGP G A Pts +/- PIM Hits BkS PPG PPA SHG SHA GW SOG Pct 
     Mike GreenWAS75 19 57 76 39 54 133 105 10 25 0 1 4 205 .093 
     Duncan KeithCHI82 14 55 69 21 51 46 143 3 13 1 4 1 213 .066 
     Drew DoughtyLOS82 16 43 59 20 54 157 76 9 22 0 0 5 142 .113 
     Dan BoyleSAN76 15 43 58 6 70 51 130 6 23 0 0 3 180 .083 
     Chris ProngerPHI82 10 45 55 22 79 104 189 5 21 0 1 2 175 .057 
     Tobias EnstromATL82 6 44 50 -5 30 20 99 2 17 0 1 0 109 .055 
     Sergei GoncharOTT62 11 39 50 -4 49 65 92 6 24 0 1 3 138 .080 
     Tomas KaberleTOR82 7 42 49 -16 24 44 99 3 22 0 1 1 158 .044 
     Nicklas LidstromDET82 9 40 49 22 24 56 82 5 15 0 3 1 194 .046 
     Mark StreitNYI82 11 38 49 0 48 78 132 9 13 0 0 2 187 .059

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Wideman was another guy who for what ever reason put up points....as a defenseman....well....oh forget it....good riddance. We wont have to worry about Ference too long as he has unfortunately become injury prone...just too small too take the pounding it seems...Hunwick is running out of time with Bartkowski, McQuaid ,Kampher and possibly Alexandrov knocking at the door. I would think if any of these guys sneak in via injuries they will steal their jobs!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Green is awful as a defenseman.  He is tremendous as an offensive d-man, but I think pberergon's point is that to compare Hunwick to Green is to say that he does not defend very well.

If you take Green's liabilities on D, and remove his offensive stats, then you are left with Hunwick, which ain't saying much.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I'd take Mike Green on the bruins. We have plenty of grit but need skill

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Ference was playing with a finger injury almost did not play. Guys it is only 2 games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Ference - $2,250,000
    Hunwick - $1,450,000

$3,700,000

Yeah- totally worth it.... there's probably nobody else in the system that could do as well as those two. Let's put Hunwick out on the PP, who says CJ can't coach offense?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Ference & Hunwick again - WHAT THE F&^*!!!???:
    [QUOTE]Ference - $2,250,000 Hunwick - $1,450,000               $3,700,000  Yeah- totally worth it.... there's probably nobody else in the system that could do as well as those two. Let's put Hunwick out on the PP, who says CJ can't coach offense?
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]
    The pp is the only spot Hunwick isn't a liability.I'm not sure where you're going with this one.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yep123. Show yep123's posts

PBERGERON - Not to beat a dead horse here, but Green has a major role in Washington's success, hes not called upon to provide D, they know this; not every D-man has to be a shut down D, same as every forward doesnt plot 50+ points on every team....know the facts of the game before spurting off, it shows your knowledge of the game!  BALANCE at all positions is the key to success, everyone has their role, and Green running your PP vs. say Chara/Seidenberg is an absolute no brainer, with the new rules a PP & offensive minded defenseman are crucial, the reason why every GM in the league wants "puck moving" defenseman!!

I am not comparing Hunwick to Green, not bashing Chara or Seidenberg....just hoping that Hunwick can be used in a role similiar to Green in Washington, we have enough D-men that barely cross the red; I just dont think its going to happen here under Julien that he will be set loose to free wheel, that in my opinion is his strength from the back end.....whoever said put him on the PP, perfect, would love to see it, they need movement all over the ice & he can provide that ability/skill to open up lanes.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]oh cool, you can read stat sheets. Tell me something, did he make the olympic team? he didn't, even though he led the league in points from a d man, because he is a liability. He was benched in the playoffs. A guy with that kind of point production was benched in the playoffs. Yeah, he is awful, hes the worst defensive d man in the league. At 5 million, I have no interest, not if I want to do well in the playoffs
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

Yep, the biggest knock on Green & the reason why he didn't make team Canada is because he doesn't "bring it" in big games. The more intense the game is. The less effective he becomes.  
    I honestly have no idea what happened to Hunwick. He looks so lost out there. It's too bad, the last time the B's were in Calgary I got to talk to him for a bit & he actually was already on the bus after practice & came off to sign autographs. Nice jester, but his play since...someone on here said; his spleen problem, as been erratic. It's too bad he doesn't have the defensive prowness that Don Sweeny had. Ironically, the two best & fastest skaters on the team are limited to what they can do to help. Paille being the other. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Hunwick is our best skating Defencemen and like someone said above-- looks pretty good on the powerplay.  After 20 games if he still looks "lost" out there, then there may be a legitimate arguement, but for now it is just way to early to be reacting to almost anything --- its two games-- have some patience.

P.S this team will need 7 D-men all year since Ferrence will be hurt for more then half the games anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Hunwick is our best skating Defencemen and like someone said above-- looks pretty good on the powerplay.  After 20 games if he still looks "lost" out there, then there may be a legitimate arguement, but for now it is just way to early to be reacting to almost anything --- its two games-- have some patience. P.S this team will need 7 D-men all year since Ferrence will be hurt for more then half the games anyway.
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

How much patience? His play last season was a disaster. He has regressed dramatically. Shouldn't the B's take a look at someone else who may step right in & provide something now? They can't do any worse. Points are at a premium in this league. Patience is a virtue. I get all that, but at what cost? When does playing the patience card stop being played & the realization one start?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Hunwick is our best skating Defencemen and like someone said above-- looks pretty good on the powerplay.  After 20 games if he still looks "lost" out there, then there may be a legitimate arguement, but for now it is just way to early to be reacting to almost anything --- its two games-- have some patience. P.S this team will need 7 D-men all year since Ferrence will be hurt for more then half the games anyway.
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

I know we've only played 2 games this year, but what about the 82 games last year where he looked lost??

Yeah, he's a good skater, who always gets beat by other good skaters...

I've tried to be patient with the guy, but I was done after last season.  Brian Boitano is a really good skater too.