Ference vs Hunwick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Now I realize that Ference has only been back for a short time, but does anyone believe he's playing better than Hunwick? I was never much of a fan of Andrew Ference, I always thought he put himself out of defensive position too much and was too easily beaten. This season, however, he seemed to suddenly "get it" and I thought if he had not been injured he was on his way to the best season he's had yet.

Since being back from injury he looks like the Ference of old. He tries to do too much offensively and then has to chase on defense, rather than being positioned between the attacker and the goal. Even when he gets back in time he just seems like he's too easy to beat.

Someone please tell me I'm being unreasonable and that he's still getting back into game form. I really want to believe it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

I dunno, he looks fine to me. As I've noted before, unless a defenseman is an offensive force, you probably won't notice him unless he makes a mistake, and every defenseman does. It's impossible to play a game of hockey without making a few errors; nobody is perfect.

Ference's problems in the past have generally stemmed from injuries. Last year he played hurt most of the time (and to his credit, never, ever complained or used it as an excuse), leading a lot of fans to complain that he's not that good. Well, earlier this year we saw him healthy at last, and some folks finally realized that he IS good. He's a solid, non-flashy, smart defenseman who isn't going to overwhelm or score you a lot of points, but knows how to play the game.

As for "trying to do too much offensively," every defenseman under Julien's system is encouraged to jump up on the play when warranted, but part of the deal is that an offensive player has to be alert and cover for him. Once in a while this can go awry (part of the deal when you gamble), and unfortunately it has the consequence of making the defenseman look bad. As they say, it's a team game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

[Quote]I dunno, he looks fine to me. As I've noted before, unless a defenseman is an offensive force, you probably won't notice him unless he makes a mistake, and every defenseman does. It's impossible to play a game of hockey without making a few errors; nobody is perfect.

Ference's problems in the past have generally stemmed from injuries. Last year he played hurt most of the time (and to his credit, never, ever complained or used it as an excuse), leading a lot of fans to complain that he's not that good. Well, earlier this year we saw him healthy at last, and some folks finally realized that he IS good. He's a solid, non-flashy, smart defenseman who isn't going to overwhelm or score you a lot of points, but knows how to play the game.

As for "trying to do too much offensively," every defenseman under Julien's system is encouraged to jump up on the play when warranted, but part of the deal is that an offensive player has to be alert and cover for him. Once in a while this can go awry (part of the deal when you gamble), and unfortunately it has the consequence of making the defenseman look bad. As they say, it's a team game.
    [/Quote]

I know what you're saying about Julien's system, but I just don't see the other D-men getting caught so badly. If he's having trouble with the system maybe he should pick and choose his moments better. Not every d-man is made to play both ends like that. But the offensive contribution isn't even the concern I have, it's the fact that I think he's not looked great at the defensive end. Personally I don't care if he contributes much on the offensive end but he damn well needs to cover the defensive end and he just hasn't impressed much since coming back. I dunno,maybe I'm just expecting too much from someone coming back from injury. There were just so many times pre-injury that he really surprised me, and now I'm not seeing it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

I think your on drugs, Ference has been nothing short of spectacular since his return

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Why is the title of the thread Hunwick VS Ference? If Hunwick is not healthy enough or good enough to make the lineup ahead of Stuart and Hnidy then he clearly should not be playing ahead of Ference.

I find alot of fans are expecting our players to come back from injury and be playing at 100% right away. It does not work that way. It can takes weeks before these players are playing their best. That why there is a training camp at the beggining of the year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Ference is more experienced than Hunwick. He makes less (what are called) invisible mistakes. Invisible because most casual fans dont even notice them.

Hunwick is barely turned pro...give him 2-3 yrs to come into true form. Boston IS in serious playoff trouble though if they dont bring someone in over Hnidy/Hunwick/Stuart. In my opinion only.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Every serious playoff caliber team has a guy like Ference. A solid, reliable, #4 defenseman. He's an incredibly smooth skater and is still getting his timing, etc. down. He was sensational the year Calgary made a run at the Cup. Give him some more time and he'll be fine. Look around the league and see who other teams have as their #4 and you'll be happy we have him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

I started this thread a week ago, and I'm still waiting to see something out of Ference that convinces me that he is all everyone thinks he is. Stupid, stupid penalty that allowed the game-winning goal. Absolutely no excuse, he didn't have to rush the play like he did and ended up putting the Bs in a hole.
    I realize that he's not the only one that made bad plays tonight and against a 13th place team they should have rolled, but I just don't see what everyone else sees in this guy. As I said in my original post I thought he was playing outstanding hockey before being hurt, but since coming back ???? He's been back for 13 games now, how long before he's "back" from his injury?
    Coincidentally, the Bs are 1-5-1 since Hunwick's last game. Just an observation.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

[Quote]Why is the title of the thread Hunwick VS Ference? If Hunwick is not healthy enough or good enough to make the lineup ahead of Stuart and Hnidy then he clearly should not be playing ahead of Ference.

I find alot of fans are expecting our players to come back from injury and be playing at 100% right away. It does not work that way. It can takes weeks before these players are playing their best. That why there is a training camp at the beggining of the year.[/Quote]

Ference has now been back for a month (13 games). Still think he's coming back into form, or is this it?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

fERENCE IS A WEAK LINK NOW.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacobspleasesell. Show jacobspleasesell's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

[Quote]Ference is more experienced than Hunwick. He makes less (what are called) invisible mistakes. Invisible because most casual fans dont even notice them.

Hunwick is barely turned pro...give him 2-3 yrs to come into true form. Boston IS in serious playoff trouble though if they dont bring someone in over Hnidy/Hunwick/Stuart. In my opinion only.[/Quote]

You may very well be correct that they need more help, but in the mean time SOMEONE needs to step up (or someone needs to sit down). BTW, nothing invisible about that STUPID delay penalty today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from canubthatdumb. Show canubthatdumb's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

I dont agree on the stupid penalty. He was trying to clear the puck on the pk after a really stupid penalty on Krejci for interference. Ferrence also scored a goal. But in the end this loss lays squarly on the shoulders of Fernandez. 4 goals allowed on only 18 shots is plain terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMaskedAvenger. Show TheMaskedAvenger's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

What is amazing is you know its coming when he is out there..why can't Claude see that?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from epavao. Show epavao's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

there was period back in Dec in which Hunwick was their best behind Chara and Wideman. They need to get this guy back in the lineup

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Maybe they can talk Raymond out of retirement....at his age he likely can still outshine Ference or Hnigy!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Ference vs Hunwick

Forget Hunwick, he'll be on the team next year.
    Ference and Stuart will be battling for the final spot next month. The 6th defenseman will come at the deadline.