Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face?

Both surprise teams to make it to the semis . Who do you like ? Slovakia is my choice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face?

I don't think Finland is that much of a surprise and when you see Slovakias roster (Gaborik,Chara,Hossa...etc..), they aren't much of a surpsrise either. But, who am I to say, I didn't know anybody on the Swiss roster, but their goalie and they were very good again in this tournament.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

Even.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[With apologies to Eric Idle...]

Finland, Finland Finland,
    That's who I don't want to see
    If my name's Mike Babcock
    Or Sidney Crosby

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

First thought when I saw last night's results laid out - Canada 3 Finland 2 for the Gold.  Finns will be a tough out for a US team that hasn't had much offensive spark outside of potting mistakes by Marty Brodeur.  Kessel, Kane, Ryan, Brown - none of them has more than 2 points, and Brown has a big 0.  Rafalski's the leading scorer.

Finns have Kipper in net, and while I'm tempted to say he won't make things easier, he's capable of the brain cramps Brodeur had.  But the Finns have a great powerplay, great chemistry, great team play.  They're quick if not as fast as the US.  Tough out for anyone.  I think Canada has the depth of attack to take them in a close game, but I'm predicting the Finns to be the US.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

In Response to Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face?:
    I don't think Finland is that much of a surprise and when you see Slovakias roster (Gaborik,Chara,Hossa...etc..), they aren't much of a surpsrise either. But, who am I to say, I didn't know anybody on the Swiss roster, but their goalie and they were very good again in this tournament.
    Posted by bluefox70

I think when neither the Russian nor the Swedes aren't in the semis that anybody else would be a surprise. Although the Finns and Slovaks are well deserving of being there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

This is what makes the Olympics so great! In any given game there are so many variables. Canada & USA have no sure path to the GOLD!!!!!!! Right now it's a crap shoot for any team. Canada is deep but in 1 game??????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

First thought when I saw last night's results laid out - Canada 3 Finland 2 for the Gold.  Finns will be a tough out for a US team that hasn't had much offensive spark outside of potting mistakes by Marty Brodeur.  Kessel, Kane, Ryan, Brown - none of them has more than 2 points, and Brown has a big 0.  Rafalski's the leading scorer. Finns have Kipper in net, and while I'm tempted to say he won't make things easier, he's capable of the brain cramps Brodeur had.  But the Finns have a great powerplay, great chemistry, great team play.  They're quick if not as fast as the US.  Tough out for anyone.  I think Canada has the depth of attack to take them in a close game, but I'm predicting the Finns to be the US. Posted by Bookboy007

Keep making excuses for why Canada got smoked by the US all you want. Smells like fear to me. Canada probably doesn't want to see a faster tighter checking team like the US again. I would want the Finns to win if I were a Canadian too!

Slovakia has gained confidence with the win last night. Canada is not going to walk over Slovakia like they did over Russia not going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face?:
    Both surprise teams to make it to the semis . Who do you like ? Slovakia is my choice.
    Posted by dustyisacat

Slovakia

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan. Show chrisbruinsfan's posts

I think Finland is a bit faster and a little more depth than Slovakia but its closed.

I honestly liked Sweden a lot and thought they were really going to make a run.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisbruinsfan. Show chrisbruinsfan's posts

Lundqvist 14 shots, 10 saves last night...yikes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

The Fins are the most underrated team in this years olympics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face? : Keep making excuses for why Canada got smoked by the US all you want. Smells like fear to me. Canada probably doesn't want to see a faster tighter checking team like the US again. I would want the Finns to win if I were a Canadian too! Slovakia has gained confidence with the win last night. Canada is not going to walk over Slovakia like they did over Russia not going to happen.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

"Smoked"?  Wow.  Now who sounds like he's whistling past the graveyard?  I'm not seeing where I was making excuses for Canada.  How is saying Brodeur made some ridiculous decisions that made a huge difference in a one-goal game (EN doesn't count) making excuses?  Fact is, the American offense hasn't looked good.  That's got nothing to do with making excuses for Canada. The rest of my argument has more to do with respecting Finland.  But if you want to read that as making excuses for Canada, well...go ahead.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face? : Keep making excuses for why Canada got smoked by the US all you want. Smells like fear to me. Canada probably doesn't want to see a faster tighter checking team like the US again. I would want the Finns to win if I were a Canadian too! Slovakia has gained confidence with the win last night. Canada is not going to walk over Slovakia like they did over Russia not going to happen.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

As a Canadian I obviously want them to win.But as I stated before the Olympics,there were going to be at least 5-6 teams with the talent to win in this tournament format.In a 1 game playoff there is very little to separate these 4 teams.I would like to think Canada's depth will make the difference but as the USA game showed us,we will be in tough.The 4 teams all have top-notch goaltending and that is the key to winning games.I expect both semi-final games to be close with the Gold medal still up in the air.No CLEAR favourites.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The amazing thing with either team is that both have smaller populations than Massachusetts.  Could you imagine an all-Ma team finding itself in the same category as the whole US and Canada?  Impressive.
    I'll be pulling for Slovakia; both so that Chara returns from the break totally stoked, and so that when my father-in-law calls after midnight (6 am his time, and I am sure he will be totally drunk) it will be a happy call rather than an upset one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face? : I would like to think Canada's depth will make the difference but as the USA game showed us,we will be in tough.The 4 teams all have top-notch goaltending and that is the key to winning games.I expect both semi-final games to be close with the Gold medal still up in the air.No CLEAR favourites. Posted by dezaruchi

I would say that Canada has been and still are the favorites. Just tired hearing and reading excuses "Miller won the game not the US team."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Finland or Slovakia : Who is the tougher team to face? : "Smoked"?  Wow.  Now who sounds like he's whistling past the graveyard?  I'm not seeing where I was making excuses for Canada.  How is saying Brodeur made some ridiculous decisions that made a huge difference in a one-goal game (EN doesn't count) making excuses?  Fact is, the American offense hasn't looked good.  That's got nothing to do with making excuses for Canada. The rest of my argument has more to do with respecting Finland.  But if you want to read that as making excuses for Canada, well...go ahead.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Come on the US offense hasnt looked good? they scored 16 through 4 games, and the 2-0 game they were dominant aside from hiller, through the first 3 USA 14, Canada 14, (including the shoot out)..

pretty even?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The Canadian offense didn't look good either, so yeah, tied in goals with Canada isn't impressive, especially when 5 of those goals came against a very shaky Marty Brodeur and 3 of Canada's came against a very good Ryan Miller.  My point had less to do with the total number of goals than the guys Burke dubbed his top 6.  They hadn't done much.  Today...well, that's what the US offense looks like when it's good.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//First thought when I saw last night's results laid out - Canada 3 Finland 2 for the Gold./

Finland! Finland! Finland!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

//First thought when I saw last night's results laid out - Canada 3 Finland 2 for the Gold./ Finland! Finland! Finland!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Check the "usa usa" thread, 'dog, where I've already stepped in to eat my share of herring-pickled crow.

-Buukbuoii007

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbone77. Show tbone77's posts

Wow U.S.A looks today. I hope there is a rematch cause team Canada is starting to click and it would be one hell of a game. Hey Sandog to say that Canada got smoked by the States is laughable did you even watch the game? Go Canada and if they don't do it tonight then I'll be rooting for the states.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

It doesn't matter now they are both playing for Bronze. I think the gold medal game will be a good one. but if Canada brings that fire it had against the Russians its going to be along game for Miller and the US. the US has had alot of lucky bounces in this tournament, look @ the first goal against the Swiss it was like the net and puck had magnetic energy. look for physical play to be the key in this game. Which team wants it more?? should be a great game good luck to both teams. Can we just say that North American hockey is the best in the World.

Just my opinion the US won the battle but Canada wins the war.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

//look @ the first goal against the Swiss it was like the net and puck had magnetic energy./

The first goal against the Swiss happened because of cycling and hustle. By the way Swizterland took da Canucks to a shootout the US beat them twice in regulation. Swiss would have won if they played the Canadians a second time.

Canada got lucky that Pavel Demitra pulled a Glen Wesley last night. Canada is the one that escaped 2 losses!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

And they will still win Gold. just my opinion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbone77. Show tbone77's posts

//look @ the first goal against the Swiss it was like the net and puck had magnetic energy./ The first goal against the Swiss happened because of cycling and hustle. By the way Swizterland took da Canucks to a shootout the US beat them twice in regulation. Swiss would have won if they played the Canadians a second time. Canada got lucky that Pavel Demitra pulled a Glen Wesley last night. Canada is the one that escaped 2 losses!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

"Canada got lucky" Ok  so you feel its ok to make excuses to why Canada won but you cant stand when people say the only reason the states beat Canada was because of miller? Now I'm not saying anything about miller cause the team with the most goals win so a goaltender is part of the team And Miller stood on his head. You just sound Like the rest of them making excuses. By the way the states squeaked out a win and if it wasnt  for a bad break for the swiss( the shot that went post to post and hung on the goal-line) That game could of easily went in to o.t. What i'm saying is good teams find a way to win and get lucky breaks. Both teams have had their lucky breaks. Good luck tomorrow its gonna be a hell of a game. Win or lose for either side their should be no more excuses but we all know there will be.