Flyers & Bruins: "Let's make a deal?"...Why it works.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Flyers & Bruins: "Let's make a deal?"...Why it works.

To Boston:
    *Claude Giroux (1st round pick #22, 2006) QMJHL

-Absolutely owned the QMJHL competetion.

*James Van Riemsdyk (1st Round pick #2, 2007) USNTDP / WJC

-NHL ready, whose size and skills overpowered the WJC tournament

To Philadelphia:
    *Phil Kessel
    *1st round pick 2010

After paying a mammoth price in resources for Pronger the Flyers will look to re-stock their draft picks soon. Claude Giroux is a young player they like and who impressed them this season but needs a little more time to develop into a complete player. They would love to add a game-breaker like Kessel who can be the go to guy and line-up with Jeff Carter and Scott Hartnell. There have been speculation of the Flyers wanting to unload Daniel Breirre for quite a long time. Getting Kessel may open the possibility of trading Brierre for more picks and high end prospects. Dumping Brierre will allow the Flyers to sign Kessel to a long term deal.

The Bruins will obtain a highly talented and skilled player in Giroux, who excelled in the QMJHL and whio showed flashes of a dynamic scorer and point producer as a late call-up. Giroux had 27 points in 42 games this pass season with the Flyers where he scored 9 goals and registered 18 assists. He also had a great playoff showing, posting (2g,3a) in 6 games. The Bruins will also get highly touted Van Riemsdyk, who is considered a power-forward with high-end skills. Van Riemsdyk is projected as being a top line forward and possible franchise player.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

Re: Flyers & Bruins: "Let's make a deal?"...Why it works.

the trade doesnt work for philly they have 18 players signed and only 4.2 mil left on the cap.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0910

would you do danny briere for kessel?  they probably would do that.  I would rather keep kessel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers & Bruins: "Let's make a deal?"...Why it works.:
    [QUOTE]the trade doesnt work for philly they have 18 players signed and only 4.2 mil left on the cap. http://www.nhlnumbers.com/compare.php?season=0910 would you do danny briere for kessel?  they probably would do that.  I would rather keep kessel.
    Posted by ocram[/QUOTE]

Yea, i completely understand their cap-space thats why i brought up the assumption that the Flyers would just turn around and trade Brierre to free up the space for Kessel.

I'm with you, Kessel is the better player. I don't want Brierre, i think he is over-rated a bit and his small frame scares me. Good player but not for my liking. I think the Flyers would actually put some thought into that trade to be honest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

I'm not so sure about this one. Quite frankly Riemsdyk hasn't played in Hockey East like a 2nd overall pick should. Hes not always the best player on the ice. As for the other guy I don't know a lot about him, but we want someone who is going to be able to play, and contribute now, this is our window. Giroux does interest me, but I don't think he is a lock to be a successful NHL forward yet. If we are going to trade Kessel it should be for a puck moving D man, keep in mind we had 7 20 goal scorers last year, and we have a sure thing twenty goal scorer added to the roster this year (Sturm), offense is not a hole the team needs filled. I like the idea of moving Kessel for an up and comer and a prospect, but I think the young NHL ready guy should be a defensemen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Flyers & Bruins: "Let's make a deal?"...Why it works.:
    [QUOTE]I'm not so sure about this one. Quite frankly Riemsdyk hasn't played in Hockey East like a 2nd overall pick should. Hes not always the best player on the ice. As for the other guy I don't know a lot about him, but we want someone who is going to be able to play, and contribute now, this is our window. Giroux does interest me, but I don't think he is a lock to be a successful NHL forward yet. If we are going to trade Kessel it should be for a puck moving D man, keep in mind we had 7 20 goal scorers last year, and we have a sure thing twenty goal scorer added to the roster this year (Sturm), offense is not a hole the team needs filled. I like the idea of moving Kessel for an up and comer and a prospect, but I think the young NHL ready guy should be a defensemen
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

I agree with your point of a Defensemen and its a valid one. But this deal gives the Bruins the chance to not only get some young talent back but also the felxibility to spend $3-$4mill else where, let's say a defensemen?... So in the end it will actually turnout. Don't you think?...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

If we're going to deal Kessel for an up and coming defenseman I vote Alex Pietrangelo from the St. Louis Blues. He was the #4 overall pick in the 08' draft, is 6'3, is a right handed shot and has powerplay quarterbacking abilities. St. Louis could use a good goal scorer, and has an abundane of NHL caliber prospects on defense. Rather than taking on salary for a veteran or taking two less hyped prospects and perhaps a pick I'd like Pietrangelo. He could compete for a spot on the roster in the fall, if not could use a season to mature and develop in Providence. This kid's talent is good already, and if he reached his potential he could be called the best defenseman in the 2008 draft, over players like Drew Doughty, Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn.
    This deal wouldn't be done this week, it would have to wait till later in the offseason, after all the big signings are done and the goal scorers are already signed. When this happens Kessel's value will skyrocket, as a desperate team could either give up a bounty in a trade or an unattainable offer sheet. This of course would be the backup plan to not getting Kessel signed.
    As for the deal with Philly, on paper it looks like a great deal straight up. However like it has been mentioned before Philidelphia does not have the cap room for Kessel. While Philly is trying to deal Briere their only suitor is Montreal, who has enough money to make a signing or two. In the end it all depends on what Montreal wants and what they would have to give up, being a cap dump the price would be considerably low. Also with Briere being from Quebec Montreal fans would love to have him, and as everybody's seen now the fans want French Canadiens on their team.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

This deal will never happen. The Flyers won't trade Giroux. I live in Pennsylvania (stuck with annoying Flyers & Penguins fans) and the Flyers value Giroux very highly. They project him to be a superstar. Heading into the off-season, he was one of 4 complete untouchables listed on the Flyers roster on a Philly station and the Flyers GM has said that teams have inquired about Giroux, but he told them that he not available under any circumstances. The feel he will be a better player than Kessel will ever be.

I want no part of Van Riemsdyk. He is soft. He takes one big hit and he disappears. I watched him in the World Juniors and I saw him in the AHL late this season and I wasn't impressed with him at all. He is a big guy, but isn't very physical. He gets hit hard once and he disappears.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bhsreddevil12. Show bhsreddevil12's posts

Although I like the idea of these two young prospects, we have alot of young offensive talent in providence already (it nevers hurts to have too much) and I think if we move kessel its for a young, high potential puck moving D man and either a pick/ F prospect.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

I agree with Joeschmo25 on Pietrangelo. Big puck moving defenseman would be awesome as part of the second pairing. I think Drew Doughty will be the stud of that draft in the end but Pietrangelo won't be far behind. St. Louis likes Kessel, though I think Andy Murray won't be as patient with his defensive limitations as Julien, it'd be a great deal for both teams.
    I also agree with Lordy4, somethings up with Van Riemsdyk. every time the Flyers talk about him they sound a bit tepid. It sounds as though they feel his development has stalled and he isn't going to get much better. I'd go Kessel for Giroux if they'd do it. The hope here is that  they get something serviceable in return for Kessel. I love draft picks, but next year is supposed to be a lean draft. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I think if St. Louis wants Kessel they may offer players like Lars Eller and Ian Cole in a package. As much as I'd love for Pietrangelo to come here I think he may be one of their untouchables, along with Erik Johnson and TJ Oshie. If you're trading for a 2010 first rounder you want to aim high, while that may seem difficut if you're dealing a 36 goal scorer to that team, it's not quite impossible. However currently at the top of the 2010 first round is Taylor Hall from the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL. Hall lit up the OHL last year, and is an all around talented center, like Steven Stamkos was for Sarnia when he played in the OHL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessup07. Show jessup07's posts

wow, that doesnt work at all, giroux and vanr make nothing and kessel will add 4-5 million to their roster, with the pronger trade they already are talking about trading gagne or hartnell to make cap space and this trade is all about raising phillys cap, never going to happen, dont forget, nobody is going to take on briere with his injury problems and the fact that he was a one year wonder with a retarded contract, check your head buddy, id sooner go for kessel for hartnell myself...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davidorr. Show Davidorr's posts

You're probably right. and the amount they sign him for will dictate the number of draft choices. (we got 3 first rounders from Carolina for Welsley) My fear would be they are a playoff team, so the pick won't be a lottery pick. I've heard good things about Taylor Hall also, but don;t think the Bruins will get anywhere near him if it's a St. Louis deal. It would probably be best if Atlanta took a flier on him. They were interested two trade deadlines ago and may be losing Ilya Kovalchuck after this season. They're a guaranteed lottery pick for at least another two years. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonsportsfan2217. Show bostonsportsfan2217's posts

no way

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

That works for everyone but the Flyers. They wouldn't sign off on that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

You want the Bruins to GIVE UP a 1rst round pick as well??

Your crazy!!

Sections
Shortcuts