FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS

Sav was picked 91st in 95 draft. 4 Players drafted above him have been on cup winners.

Picked   Player   Tm   yr won  Winner   CupGP  G  A Pt
    53       Larsen   Ott    2001     Col           21    1  1  2
    18       Sykora   NJ     2000     NJ            23    9  8  17
    13       Giguere  Har    2007     ANA        Goalie
    6         Kelly     Edm    2000    NJ            10    0  0  0 played 1 reg season game with NJ

Draftees include Doan, Iginla, Redden, Berard, Langkow, McLaren, McKee, Biron, Hlavac, Hecht, Shafer and Schaefer, Isbister, Kapanen and oh yeah my fave George Laraques were all picked over Sav who was a scoring phenom in junior but was considered too slow, too small, no def etc etc etc.

He has continued to defy the nay sayers and is still producing, he has not won anything, but that does not mean he is not a winner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS:
    In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : fine bourque never lead a team to a cup 21 seasons in boston, you going to blame him? one of the best captains in the history of the sport.. he won a cup yes, but he never lead a team there, got traded in his twilight to a team with a better chance
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Cam Neely never led the Bruins to a Stanley Cup either. OBVIOUSLY NOT A LEADER.

Anyway, here's a list of PPG players, past and present (with their totals), who never won a Cup:

Gil Perreault 1.113
    Marcel Dionne 1.314
    Adam Oates 1.062
    Dale Hawerchuk 1.186
    Mats Sundin 1.002
    Pierre Turgeon 1.026
    Peter Stastny 1.268
    Bernie Nicholls 1.073
    Michel Goulet 1.058
    Bernie Federko 1.130
    Darryl Sittler 1.023
    Eric Lindros 1.138
    Pavel Bure 1.110
    Ziggy Palffy 1.042
    Alex Ovechkin 1.336
    Dany Heatley 1.061
    Ilya Kovalchuk 1.034
    Joe Thornton 1.018
    Paul Kariya 1.000
    Tim Kerr 1.029
    Rick Martin 1.023
    Pat LaFontaine 1.171
    Mike Rogers 1.072

I think Savvy ran over Wheatskins' dog. It's the only rational explanation.

Look, he's sorry! Keep your dog on a leash and it won't happen again!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mish11133. Show Mish11133's posts

I don't usually post but I nearly read these post all the time.  To frame Savard as some kind of player that cannot lead is irrelevant.  A team is composed of many movng parts.   Why so much energy wasted in discussing this?  Savard is a valuable piece of the puzzle, IMO. 

And, I think since he's been a part of the Bruin's organization, he's matured and learned to be a team player.  You know why I think Overchin and Kolvechuk didn't matter in the playoffs, let alone, the 2010 Winter Olympics, well they didn't know how to be team players - I was disappointed in both of their performances.  It made me grateful that players like Savard, along with the Bruins coaches, was able turn around a talented player like Savard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

I don't usually post but I nearly read these post all the time.  To frame Savard as some kind of player that cannot lead is irrelevant.  A team is composed of many movng parts.   Why so much energy wasted in discussing this?  Savard is a valuable piece of the puzzle, IMO.  And, I think since he's been a part of the Bruin's organization, he's matured and learned to be a team player.  You know why I think Overchin and Kolvechuk didn't matter in the playoffs, let alone, the 2010 Winter Olympics, well they didn't know how to be team players - I was disappointed in both of their performances.  It made me grateful that players like Savard, along with the Bruins coaches, was able turn around a talented player like Savard.
    Posted by Mish11133

Good post, and very well said.

I don't think Ovechkin for one can be blamed for his team's playoff performances -- he's done his job for the most part. Washington's problem is that it's not a team built for the playoffs, but for the regular season. They're a run-and-gun team, and running into a hot goalie (Hello Jaro) brings them to a screeching halt. I'd fix more blame on Ovechkin if he were a defenseman, or if Boudreau preached a defense-first game and Ovechkin deviated from it (he doesn't, and he didn't).

And the New Jersey Devils had (and have) more problems than are going to be fixed by Ilya Kovalchuk.

Anyway, most Bruins fans love and appreciate Marc Savard, and get irritated when somebody disses him for such an irrational "reason." Nonsensical posts tend to get people riled up. I suppose it's like getting angry at someone for stating that the sky is green. Instead of trying to prove to him that the sky is blue, we probably should just say, "yeah, OK, it's green, whatever you say" and  move on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : 1. A list of point-a-game players without a Stanley Cup would be very short. That will be a good exercise for another day. 2. I don't expect Savard to lead us to a Cup. He's never done it before, and at 33, he will never do it. No-one should expect that - not even Bruin fans. So why are all of you bringing up - he's a point-a-game player, a good power-play guy, and good in the room, and he's our only #1 Centre. I'm sure it was the same for him in Calgary and Atlanta, but the only thing it got him was a fat contract from the Bruins. Savard will win a Stanley Cup only if he is the 2nd or 3rd line Centre. The same goes for Joey Thornton.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Let me guess! Adam Oates sucked as well eh? You're a joke!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Cam Neely never led the Bruins to a Stanley Cup either. OBVIOUSLY NOT A LEADER. Anyway, here's a list of PPG players, past and present (with their totals), who never won a Cup: Gil Perreault 1.113 Marcel Dionne 1.314 Adam Oates 1.062 Dale Hawerchuk 1.186 Mats Sundin 1.002 Pierre Turgeon 1.026 Peter Stastny 1.268 Bernie Nicholls 1.073 Michel Goulet 1.058 Bernie Federko 1.130 Darryl Sittler 1.023 Eric Lindros 1.138 Pavel Bure 1.110 Ziggy Palffy 1.042 Alex Ovechkin 1.336 Dany Heatley 1.061 Ilya Kovalchuk 1.034 Joe Thornton 1.018 Paul Kariya 1.000 Tim Kerr 1.029 Rick Martin 1.023 Pat LaFontaine 1.171 Mike Rogers 1.072 I think Savvy ran over Wheatskins' dog. It's the only rational explanation. Look, he's sorry! Keep your dog on a leash and it won't happen again!
    Posted by duinne

Good work, Duinne! The List doesn't look that long to me.

Now, cross off all those that did not, or have not, played at least 11 years in the NHL and see how much shorter the list gets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

IGNORE

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Good work, Duinne! The List doesn't look that long to me. Now, cross off all those that did not, or have not, played at least 11 years in the NHL and see how much shorter the list gets.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Wow! You just made the idiot list! Btw- your village called. They're missing you, Newfiebullet, SoxfaninIL & RMiller!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Wow! You just made the idiot list! Btw- your village called. They're missing you, Newfiebullet, SoxfaninIL & RMiller!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Funny that they would call you.
    Are you sure they are look for us and not you.

Enjoy the game tonight!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Funny that they would call you. Are you sure they are look for us and not you. Enjoy the game tonight!
    Posted by Wheatskins

Hey, you got your wish, Savard is out.  Have fun watching the powerplay bumble around like they did last year without Savard...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Good work, Duinne! The List doesn't look that long to me. Now, cross off all those that did not, or have not, played at least 11 years in the NHL and see how much shorter the list gets.
    Posted by Wheatskins

The list doesn't look that long? My God, are you really that dumb, or do you work at it?

There are very, very few players who are PPG players period. There are several more who are on Stanley Cup winning teams because (duh) they had good teammates who could capitalize on their chances. Emphasizing once again that hockey is a team game.

Cripes, if you are indeed coaching, I sure as hell hope you're not coaching kids, because you are frighteningly ignorant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Guys, it's just the Bergeron cult looking to get rid of everyone standing in Bergeron's way of being the top center on this team.  They've been on the hunt ever since Savard started producing and Bergeron got hurt.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS :

The list doesn't look that long? My God, are you really that dumb, or do you work at it?

There are very, very few players who are PPG players period . There are several more who are on Stanley Cup winning teams because (duh) they had good teammates who could capitalize on their chances. Emphasizing once again that hockey is a team game . Cripes, if you are indeed coaching, I sure as hell hope you're not coaching kids, because you are frighteningly ignorant.
    Posted by duinne

Read the two sentences I highlighted, SMART ONE. Does it make sense to you? You wrote it.

Is the list long, or it isn't long? In the the second paragraph you are admitting it is not long. Do you know what you are talking about? And why do you always answer questions with another question?

And please, for the last time - stop the insinuations, name calling, and assumptions to people's character.  I do not appreciate it and I will not put up with it again. I don't do this to you or any other posters and expect the same in return.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Read the two sentences I highlighted, SMART ONE. Does it make sense to you? You wrote it. Is the list long, or it isn't long? In the the second paragraph you are admitting it is not long. Do you know what you are talking about? And why do you always answer questions with another question? And please, for the last time - stop the insinuations, name calling, and assumptions to people's character.  I do not appreciate it and I will not put up with it again. I don't do this to you or any other posters and expect the same in return.
    Posted by Wheatskins

Well the old cliche' is "if the shoe fits."

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnnyV219. Show JohnnyV219's posts

In Response to FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS:
    Savard enters NHL in 1998 with Rangers. 1998-99 NY Rangers  out of playoffs 1999-03 Calgary Flames  out of playoffs 2003-04 Calgary Flames without Savard go to Cup Final 2003-06 Atlanta Thrashers out of playoffs 2005-06 Atlanta Thrashers make playoffs without Savard 2005-10 Boston Bruins miss playoff 2005-06, make playoffs 3 straight thereafter. Years in league - 11.  Years in playoffs - 3. Total playoff series played by Savard - 4. Total Series won - 1. No comment.  
    Posted by Wheatskins

Plain and simple..this is just kickin a guy when hes down...good timing..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Savard is by FAR the best and most consistent offensive player the Bruins have on their roster. So, if what wheaties is saying is true, don't expect the B's to advanced too far in the playoffs until they get an offensive player better than Savvy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS:
    Savard enters NHL in 1998 with Rangers. 1998-99 NY Rangers  out of playoffs 1999-03 Calgary Flames  out of playoffs 2003-04 Calgary Flames without Savard go to Cup Final 2003-06 Atlanta Thrashers out of playoffs 2005-06 Atlanta Thrashers make playoffs without Savard 2005-10 Boston Bruins miss playoff 2005-06, make playoffs 3 straight thereafter. Years in league - 11.  Years in playoffs - 3. Total playoff series played by Savard - 4. Total Series won - 1. No comment.  
    Posted by Wheatskins

Someone needs to learn the difference between "correlation" and "causation".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Someone needs to learn the difference between "correlation" and "causation".
    Posted by Kennedy97

You mean just because B follows A, that A didn't actually cause B? ;-)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelieveINBoston9. Show BelieveINBoston9's posts

This is the most rediculous argument ive seen yet.....HOW ABOUT you spend the rest of the week looking up ALL of the current Bruins Playoff success and then repost this weekend......

AND THEN we all still wont care.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Someone needs to learn the difference between "correlation" and "causation".
    Posted by Kennedy97

LOL! Good one!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: FOR THE SAVARD LOVERS : Read the two sentences I highlighted, SMART ONE. Does it make sense to you? You wrote it. Is the list long, or it isn't long? In the the second paragraph you are admitting it is not long. Do you know what you are talking about? And why do you always answer questions with another question? And please, for the last time - stop the insinuations, name calling, and assumptions to people's character.  I do not appreciate it and I will not put up with it again. I don't do this to you or any other posters and expect the same in return.
    Posted by Wheatskins

I agree with you on the stop the name callings/etc.. but at the same time why play the dumb card if you don't want to be called on it..

Duinnes post suggest that is a long list of ppg players to not win a stanley cup, in regards to the fact that the "ppg" players is not that long..

if there were only 10 ppg players in the nhl and 8 of them never won a cup, that would be a long list when compared to your perspective pool...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I keep wanting to put this in and have so far resisted - but here it is.

Mario Lemieux was a much, much better player than Marc Savard will ever be.  Mario Lemieux missed the playoffs for 5 of the first 6 years of his career.  Marion Lemieux played all or part of 17 NHL seasons and his teams missed the playoffs in 9 of those 17 years - more than half of his career.

Guess the guy was a bum.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

How can ya not love Savard ? I mean really ?  I will really miss seeing him at the start of this season and wish him the speediest of returns. Go B's Go !!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts