Franchises to do away with

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

Re: Franchises to do away with

I'll vote Nashville, simply because it's odd.

I went to a Nashville game last year. It was weird as hell. It was the same as if the crowd showed up to a wrestling match or a circus show. They had all the cheerleaders, giveaways, clowns, dogs, intermission shows, live bands, human hamster balls... they did pretty much anything they could think of immediately after each whistle until the next puck drop so people wouldnt walk out. It's like they took hockey and bastardized it into their own version of a sideshow, like a hockey game was something that went on inbetween t-shirt guns and donut giveaways.

The best was the kiss cam that went around the arena. They did a couple people who were a little embarassed, then it landed on this like 16 year old girl and this 46 year old man, and they started going at it immediately. Totally screwed up, totally redneck sh_t. Everyone was like, "oooooh, yeah!" That's when I new I was in a foreign land.

"Git'im ARNOTT! Kill'em!!!

All in all nice people, at least the ones I sat near. I had tickets from a large woman who was in special "handicapped seating". All they did was talk to one another the whole time. Since I had some of her tickets I had handicapped as well. Don't worry, the handicapped seating was full of non-handicaps. That's how they do in Nashville. If you ever see a game there, tell them you're handicapped. It's the perfect center ice view from a foldout chair.

It's an upbeat atmosphere, but for all the wrong reasons, like a nightmare vision of the future under Bettman's plan for American Sunbelt Hockey. I shudder to think what games in Atlanta are like. Florida & Tampa get a pass because there are so many transplants there. I don't know about Phoenix, but it looks like it s_cks also. From what I heard, they had a big celebration in Phoenix when Modano scored his all-time leading American point last year, even though he played for a rival team. Guess they need something to cheer about.

I love how the Globe's wordfilter doesn't allow s_ck but it allows FARTS

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp1957. Show ksp1957's posts

You left out the part where they ask each other if they all are going to the tractor pull after the game.Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I'm hardly a Bettman fan but 1) The owners are responsible for running the teams. 2) Canada has roughly the same population as California, there are three teams in Cali, and six teams in Canada spread out over about about ten or fifteen times the volume which means the population density is much,much, lower. For comparison for most New Englanders think of the population density of Boston as California and some place like Conway NH as the aggregate Canadian population. Aside from Tornto, none of the Canadian cities are all that large. Hell only two have more than a million people, and there's another 7 with more than half a million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_municipalities_in_Canada_by_population

In Response to Re: Franchises to do away with:
    [QUOTE]Down with Bettman, Bring back common sense.  Is it clear that Bettman has something against Canada?  He has not problem taking teams out of Canada, but there is no way a money losing franchise will be allowed to move back to their home and native land (oh Canada). To answer your question, Get rid of the tropical teams that don't make a profit and put them back in the Canadian Tundra where ice machines are not necessary.
    Posted by Dover26[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

[QUOTE]You left out the part where they ask each other if they all are going to the tractor pull after the game.
    Posted by ksp1957[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I ended up not going. Seriously... f__king weird event. They almost sell out every game, but it's like a joke, a sideshow....

"Yeahur, u dumbassses give us a hockey teem, so we's gunna go support it even tho we dun't no it kause that's what we doo in nashville!! IT'S OUR TEEM!!!WHOOO go TITANS!!!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Bangbleeder: Aside from Tornto, none of the Canadian cities are all that large. Hell only two have more than a million people, and there's another 7 with more than half a million.

You don't know much about Canada

Within about one hours drive of Toronto or Hamilton, there live about 13 million people. That's ONE hour, or sixty minutes.

Countless Fortune 500 companies call Southern Ontario home.

For those 13 million fans, most of whom love the game, there are only 20,000 NHL tickets to be had in Toronto - where every game is sold out and the waiting list for seasons tickets is years long. 

20,000 seats for 41 games divided amongst 13 million fans. You can do the math, right?

Ottawa is 5 hours from Toronto and have their own fan base.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

"Aside from Toronto, none of the Canadian cities are all that large"

How 'bout Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary,Edmonton, Quebec, Winnepeg and Mississigua are all larger than Boston.

Unless of course we count Lowell, Worcester and Brockton as Boston also.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And there are 3.5 million in greater Vancouver, 1.3 million each in greater Calgary , Ottawa and Edmonton, more than that in Hamilton, and almost a million in Winnipeg.
    The 'greater' equates to a contiguos city in most cases. The setup of most Canadian cities is odd compared to most American municipal boundaries but similar to Boston, in that in most states these 'greater' cities, would be considered one city. Stats only give you a small picture of it.
     Also, I'd have to do some research, but I think those wiki numbers are wrong to begin with.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Here, let this get your research started.  Don't take the media term, GTA (greater Toronto Area) too literally.

A few the cities within an hour or so of Toronto AND Hamilton: (each with their own mayor, school boards etc) and all connected by highways and paved roads - not dirtroads, canoe routes, grassy pathways or portages or anything else the poster boy for the US eduational system Mr. Kanes Donuts can think up.

South

Fort Erie
    Niagara Falls
    Welland
    St. Catharines
    Grimsby
    * * (Hamilton)
    Burlington
    Oakville
    Brampton
    Mississauga

East

Oshawa
    Scarborough
    Port Hope

North

Barrie
    Aurora

South West

Kitchener
    Guelph

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ogie. Show Ogie's posts

Turn the page on Canada getting another NHL franchise anytime soon.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Okay, someone has to say it - just to make this thread officially fit in with the rest of this board.

Clearly, the thing to do is move the Bruins to Hamilton, then move the Predators to Boston.
    And then let the two teams trade all of their players. Smile

I actually voted Florida.  The retirement commuinity, snowbirds, and whole "vacationland" thing argue in favor of having a team in the state - but two?  That seems excessive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CraigJeans. Show CraigJeans's posts

I think we should go back to the 21 team format. Just imagine how good the NHL would be then. As for teams that should be gone... Phoenix, Atlanta and Nashville should all be moved north. Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec. 

For the sake of everything that is holy - I'm sure Halifax, NS would make more money then Phoenix.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbene. Show jbene's posts

Why only drop just one?  I'm going for the jugular... Drop Tampa Bay, Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix, and toss LA (isn't one LA team is enough) to make it an even six.  Name me one of these teams this league would miss... attendance, city, media market, or otherwise. Less teams, less marginal players, more teams with better talent, better rilvaries, more exciting games, more exciting league.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Again. Those are seperate cities. Providence RI, and Hartford CT are less than two hours from Boston, as is Worcester, NYC to Boston is about 4 hours, and Philly is far beyond that.

Even in Canada not everyone is a hockey fan and there is no assurance a new team would draw enough warm bodies to keep it afloat. Hell, with the global economy the start up/movement costs of a franchise are beyond most people/companies resources.

[QUOTE]Bangbleeder: Aside from Tornto , none of the Canadian cities are all that large. Hell only two have more than a million people, and there's another 7 with more than half a million. You don't know much about Canada Within about one hours drive of Toronto or Hamilton, there live about 13 million people. That's ONE hour, or sixty minutes. Countless Fortune 500 companies call Southern Ontario home. For those 13 million fans, most of whom love the game, there are only 20,000 NHL tickets to be had in Toronto - where every game is sold out and the waiting list for seasons tickets is years long.  20,000 seats for 41 games divided amongst 13 million fans. You can do the math, right? Ottawa is 5 hours from Toronto and have their own fan base.
    Posted by Beer-League-Goalie[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

I just want to randomly add that I'm glad Thornton is gone LOL

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]Phoenix, Atlanta and Nashville should all be moved north. Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec.  For the sake of everything that is holy - I'm sure Halifax, NS would make more money then Phoenix.
    Posted by CraigJeans[/QUOTE]

My Grandmama is from Nova Scotia she lives in Tampa now (she laughs at hockey in the sunshine state) and would probably move back up there if Phoenix or Tampa went up there. I agree Halifax would probably draw more than Phoenix. I think Winnipeg and Quebec would work this time around.

I don't remember if Quebec or the Jets started it but I used to love when they did those white out home playoff games. Those fans were bummed when those teams split!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]I just want to randomly add that I'm glad Thornton is gone LOL
    Posted by BruinsUnite[/QUOTE]

ahh yup that's random...nice BU!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Ignorance about Canadian geography etc. on this board does not surprise me. Nor does your general lack of insight into the game of hockey. I've come to accept your xenophobia.

But when it's all said and done, the Coyotes will probably remain in Phoenix. And in a few years after the new Coyotes owner has lost enough money, both we and the NHL can have this exact same discussion. Won't that be fun?

In them meantime, I suggest some of you go to the library or go online and try and better yourselves by learning more about other places. There is more to the world around you than Quincey, Framingham, Lynn, Salem, Saugus, Marblehead or Newton. See, learning about other places is fun!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kanes-Donuts. Show Kanes-Donuts's posts

there is nothing we dont have right here that we need so why learn about other places espcially places like canada that have given losy beer and yo old winesocke what else has canada ever done for me or the boston bruins? Go B's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

easily the 'yotes. Biggest joke of a franchise this side of the Expos.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

*ignores KD and decides NOT to list off everything that Canada's done for the B's*

SanDog,
    It was actually Winnipeg that started the white-outs. The Jets and Canucks had a nasty rivalry back in the day, and the whiteout was created as a way to mock Van's coach at the time, Captain Video. It started right after he threw that white towel onto the ice, and all the Jets fans were encouraged to bring white towels to the next 'Nucks game, and it snowballed from there. I was at that very first whiteout game -the noise was unbelievable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFaninOntario. Show BruinsFaninOntario's posts

Put another team in Toronto, or move the Phoenix Shitstains to Hamilton. I live close enough to Hamilton that I could go see the Bruins there. The only way I get to see the Bruins is when they play the Leafs, but even then tix are hard to get and you get bent over royally. Bettman the d!ckbrain deserves what he gets...keep the team in Phoenix playing in front of 10,000 empty seats every night. Good idea, Gary.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Yes, It will only be a matter of time for- Florida, Tampa, Phoenix, Atlanta
    Will all be gone
    I read you can get a Panther ticket for $17.00 and receive $5.oo gas coupon,
    free parking and food
    I live in Toronto and i think I could fly down to a Panther game cheaper than
    paying a scalper for Leafs-Bruin tickets

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beer-League-Goalie. Show Beer-League-Goalie's posts

Fact - Hamilton has a ton of people to draw on and no shortage of big name sponsors to buy luxury boxes.

Heck, even a second team placed in Toronto would work. I think it's funny that some people here who have never even been to Canada (let alone Toronto) seem to think it wouldn't do well.

And why anyone would want to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix is amazing. Hockey doesn't work there, and new owners won't change that.

Fewer teams that are stronger make for a better product all around. But of course, Bettman, Jacobs and the rest of the BOG seem to want to see teams play in front of empty seats and lose millions and millions. 

Simply astounding that men who are so successful in their other business ventures develop brain cramps when the subject of hockey comes up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonwise. Show Bostonwise's posts

should definately be a NHL club in Seattle-thye have all major sports expcept NHL

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

Red75-  as a Winnipegger, I'm glad you clarified that Winnipeg started the white outs.  However, if I recall correctly, the whiteouts were a response to the Calgary "Sea of Red".  That may be an urban legend?

The white towel incident was when Canuck coach Roger Neilson threw a towel on the ice to surrender to the refs after so many bad calls.  Vancouver fans followed up by bringing towels to support their team in their Stanley Cup run in 1982.