From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall."

Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun sports writer and George Costanza look-a-like wondered if going to an Oiler team trumps going to an already made playoff lineup and possibly less pressure to perform immediately? 

I'm not a fan of Simmons but he does raise some food for thought.  Our club is a settled orgainization, with solid coaching, deep in goal, Chara on D, Bergeron, Krejci and even if Savard ends up elsewhere, strength at centre. 

He says the Oilers have been a "jumpy organization, making public gaffes on firings and lack clear vision and leadership.  Hall can help settle the future but in Edmonton, all eyes will be on him all the time with no escape." 

Simmons believes in Boston, "Seguin will be able to disappear as Boston is a Red Sox town, consumed by the Pats and Celtics.  The Bruins are a clear No. 4 in that market, the kind of market that gave Joe Thornton a chance to grow into himself.  A great place for a young star to develop." 

Is this an accurate assessment of the two situations especially regarding Seguin?  True, the Bruins are the superior team but I'd imagine there will still be expectations on Seguin to make some form of measureable impact in Boston, certainly not of the "burn up the league" variety but some kind of contribution especially with all the hype leading up to his selection.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall."

I think having such an elite prospect in Boston will increase publicity/popularity and t.v ratings and revenue in the Bruins favor. Just my opinion. They had a larger draft turnout than they usually do. I think Seguin will be a huge hit and thrive in Boston (merchandise baring his name will become an instant HIT...I can assure you, I'm heading over to Bob's to get a replica Seguin jersey as soon as they come in).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall."

Ugh.
    A much better statement would have been "A great place for a young star to shine."
    "A great place for a young star to develop" sounds like it ought to continue "so that he can succeed elsewhere."  Especially since the name Joe Thornton precedes it.
    Maybe I am reading too much into his word choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

In Response to Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall.":
    I think having such an elite prospect in Boston will increase publicity/popularity and t.v ratings and revenue in the Bruins favor. Just my opinion. They had a larger draft turnout than they usually do. I think Seguin will be a huge hit and thrive in Boston (merchandise baring his name will become an instant HIT...I can assure you, I'm heading over to Bob's to get a replica Seguin jersey as soon as they come in).
    Posted by Hockguy0818

Merchandise with Seguin on it will be selling like nothing else. My 11 year old daughter, who just turned 11 yesterday, told me she wants a poster of Seguin because "He's hot". LOL

Both players are in completely different situations. Tyler will bring more attention to the B's and he will have presure on him, without a doubt. But he won't have to strap the franchise to his back and carry it like Hall will. Seguin will have a strong supporting cast here in Boston and he'll be able to develop without being under the microscope as much. Hall definitely will have more pressure on him to succeed right out of the gate than Seguin will. The media in Edmonton will follow Hall like the paparazzi stalks celebs here in the states. If he passes gas in public they will report on it! Look at it this way, Hall is guaranteed to be in Edmonton's opening night's lineup. Seguin may be sent back to Plymouth if he can't get top 6 minutes.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall.":
    In Response to Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall." : Merchandise with Seguin on it will be selling like nothing else. My 11 year old daughter, who just turned 11 yesterday, told me she wants a poster of Seguin because "He's hot". LOL Both players are in completely different situations. Tyler will bring more attention to the B's and he will have presure on him, without a doubt. But he won't have to strap the franchise to his back and carry it like Hall will. Seguin will have a strong supporting cast here in Boston and he'll be able to develop without being under the microscope as much. Hall definitely will have more pressure on him to succeed right out of the gate than Seguin will. The media in Edmonton will follow Hall like the paparazzi stalks celebs here in the states. If he passes gas in public they will report on it! Look at it this way, Hall is guaranteed to be in Edmonton's opening night's lineup. Seguin may be sent back to Plymouth if he can't get top 6 minutes.  
    Posted by BruWingFan

LOL, I forgot about that. Seguin will certainly garner significant attention from the female Bruin fanbase. He seems like a great young man and is an elite prospect. I feel and hope that he'll thrive in Boston. He seems like a great fit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I would say there's less initial expectation on Seguin.  Most hockey fans here know he's a season behind Hall.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I really believe Hall is a much better player than Horton, yet, there is an eerie semblance in the comparison.  I do hope Hall does not have to endure a poor team for five years.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall.":
    Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun sports writer and George Costanza look-a-like wondered if going to an Oiler team trumps going to an already made playoff lineup and possibly less pressure to perform immediately?  I'm not a fan of Simmons but he does raise some food for thought.  Our club is a settled orgainization, with solid coaching, deep in goal, Chara on D, Bergeron, Krejci and even if Savard ends up elsewhere, strength at centre.  He says the Oilers have been a "jumpy organization, making public gaffes on firings and lack clear vision and leadership.  Hall can help settle the future but in Edmonton, all eyes will be on him all the time with no escape."  Simmons believes in Boston, "Seguin will be able to disappear as Boston is a Red Sox town, consumed by the Pats and Celtics.  The Bruins are a clear No. 4 in that market, the kind of market that gave Joe Thornton a chance to grow into himself.  A great place for a young star to develop."  Is this an accurate assessment of the two situations especially regarding Seguin?  True, the Bruins are the superior team but I'd imagine there will still be expectations on Seguin to make some form of measureable impact in Boston, certainly not of the "burn up the league" variety but some kind of contribution especially with all the hype leading up to his selection.
    Posted by RichmondHillOntario

I still don't know why the Bruins are a clear #4 in the Boston Market?  When the Celts (vs Lebron) went head to head with the Bruins (vs Philly), the Boston market proved that 2x+ as many people watched the Bruins compared to the Celtics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nmiller3. Show nmiller3's posts

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/columnists/steve_simmons/2010/06/26/14531581.html

link, in case anyone was interested. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think both have a great situation.  Boston does have a good core but the Oilers prospects are much better...The Oilers could be the new Blackhawks in a few yrs time.  I think we need to watch them play before we decide who has the better situation...b/c an injury or two can change a lot of things.  And the future of the Oilers looks a lot better if we are just looking at current prospects

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall." : Merchandise with Seguin on it will be selling like nothing else. My 11 year old daughter, who just turned 11 yesterday, told me she wants a poster of Seguin because "He's hot". LOL Both players are in completely different situations. Tyler will bring more attention to the B's and he will have presure on him, without a doubt. But he won't have to strap the franchise to his back and carry it like Hall will. Seguin will have a strong supporting cast here in Boston and he'll be able to develop without being under the microscope as much. Hall definitely will have more pressure on him to succeed right out of the gate than Seguin will. The media in Edmonton will follow Hall like the paparazzi stalks celebs here in the states. If he passes gas in public they will report on it! Look at it this way, Hall is guaranteed to be in Edmonton's opening night's lineup. Seguin may be sent back to Plymouth if he can't get top 6 minutes.  
    Posted by BruWingFan

Well said!  The term "cornerstone" was used liberally to describe both players regarding their potential but it is Hall who may be looked at to lead the Oilers out of the wilderness because he's joining a non-competitive team moreso than Seguin coming to the Bruins.  I still feel the expectations on both to perform are of equal measure because of their skills. 

We know Hall doesn't have the same complement of talent around him to help push the team towards success as Seguin will but I think he, too, will be looked upon to help make the Bruins a better team than they are right now. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall." : I still don't know why the Bruins are a clear #4 in the Boston Market?  When the Celts (vs Lebron) went head to head with the Bruins (vs Philly), the Boston market proved that 2x+ as many people watched the Bruins compared to the Celtics.
    Posted by bluefox70

right on. i don't care what anybody says, if all 4 teams in the New England area were equal in success,it would be Red Sox,BRUINS and who cares.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I really believe Hall is a much better player than Horton, yet, there is an eerie semblance in the comparison.  I do hope Hall does not have to endure a poor team for five years.  
    Posted by islamorada

Hall may have to play on a poor team, but at least he won't be playing in front of an indifferent fan base like Horton did in Florida.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall." : I still don't know why the Bruins are a clear #4 in the Boston Market?  When the Celts (vs Lebron) went head to head with the Bruins (vs Philly), the Boston market proved that 2x+ as many people watched the Bruins compared to the Celtics.
    Posted by bluefox70

That would be BEFORE the Bruins' historic collapse and the Celts' run to the Finals, correct?

Pretty sure the ratings would be different today.

I love the B's and I find basketball only surpassed in pure boredom by soccer, but let's face it... the B's fanbase is still iffy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

In Response to Re: From the Toronto Sun: "Seguin Probably has the winning situation, not Hall." : That would be BEFORE the Bruins' historic collapse and the Celts' run to the Finals, correct? Pretty sure the ratings would be different today. I love the B's and I find basketball only surpassed in pure boredom by soccer, but let's face it... the B's fanbase is still iffy.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

well at least ,we'll know the real fans from the phonies. it's always easy to be a fan of a winner.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't know if the environment is conducive for a quiet transition from Junior hockey or not,Seguin was clearly the best player in the OHL last season unfortunately for him his teammates weren't that good, Hall benefitted from being on a very good team. So we will see who is the better player in five years...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Posted by bluefox70

Those other 2 team did not even place, so I guess that meant the B's were number 1 with true fans.