Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?

lots of discussion of/if when Zherdev's contract is finalized (which it is now) then Philly is going to put Simon Gagne on waivers.  Will the Bruins chase after him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?

He's a gamer... I wouldnt mind seeing him in Boston!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

Even if Boston had the cap room (they don't), There are too many other teams that would put a claim on him.
    If more than one team claims a player on waivers, the team with the fewest points in the previous season, gets the player.
    Edmonton does not need another LW, so expect Toronto to pick him up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

I would say no to waiver plus Bruins cap space will not allow it. Stick with youth developement and give them a chance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

He's injured more often than he plays I hope they pass on him!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I never knew that a player with a NTC could be put on waivers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why on Earth would they put him on waivers?

That doesn't make any sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

he's not going on waivers...he has trade value.  some gm's will like the fact that he has only 1 yr left on his deal, because it means that there is not that much in bringing him in .  He's worth a 2nd and a 4th at least.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?:
    I never knew that a player with a NTC could be put on waivers.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

This is why many guys are asking for No Movement Clauses now.  The waiver wire is a nice back up if a team can't make a deal to shead salary.

As for picking him up...no way.  We have around one million in cap space to sign 3 guys.  Basically we need to move someone just to fit those guys in.  Who would go to fit in a 5.25 million cap hit?  If we could find TT a home then OK, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen so we need to concentrate on the guys we have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I think the confusion here is on the word "waive".  I've never seen anyone suggest Gagne would be put on waivers, but I have seen hundreds of lines devoted to whether or not he would waive his no trade clause.  I'd be very surprised to see the Flyers waive him rather than deal him to Boston, along with Boucher or Leighton, for Tim Thomas and something - a pick, a prospect, a Hunwick (which would work out the salaries).  Pick/prospect makes the most sense for the Flyers, though.  With Zherdev in the fold, they have 12 forwards not counting Carcillo and Asham who remain unemployed.  They're at least 7 deep in top 6 talent with Briere, Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, van Riemsdyk, and Zherdev.  You could throw Leino into that mix.  Put Laperriere or Betts on the third line and that's pretty solid right down to the pugilism line of Cote, Shelley, and Laperriere or Betts.  And some are already calling their D tops in the league with Timmonen, Pronger, Carle, Coburn, Mezaros and O'Donnel...well, 5/6.

#4 - That's the difference between a no trade and a no movement.  No trade means you can't be dealt, but you can still be exposed on waivers and sent to the minors.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Gagne has a big cap hit...if the Flyers don't find a taker via trade they will have to:
    a. trade someone else
    b. put Gagne or someone on waivers

The Flyers need cap space...they added a lot of payroll and didn't really get rid of anyone. 

I believe Gagne name was mentioned of hockeybuzz in re: to being placed on waivers...I read it as well but can't find the article.  It didn't say they were going to do it...but more that it could be an option.

And as far as the Bruins are concerned we couldn't even think about getting him unless we made some other large deal.  I could see Toronto landing him in some form of a 3 way with LA.

Kaberle- To LA
    Simmonds- To Philly (plus a pick)
    Gagne- To Toronto

Could make sense for all involved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I think the confusion here is on the word "waive".  I've never seen anyone suggest Gagne would be put on waivers, but I have seen hundreds of lines devoted to whether or not he would waive his no trade clause.  I'd be very surprised to see the Flyers waive him rather than deal him to Boston, along with Boucher or Leighton, for Tim Thomas and something- a pick, a prospect, a Hunwick (which would work out the salaries).  Pick/prospect makes the most sense for the Flyers, though.  With Zherdev in the fold, they have 12 forwards not counting Carcillo and Asham who remain unemployed.  They're at least 7 deep in top 6 talent with Briere, Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, van Riemsdyk, and Zherdev.  You could throw Leino into that mix.  Put Laperriere or Betts on the third line and that's pretty solid right down to the pugilism line of Cote, Shelley, and Laperriere or Betts.  And some are already calling their D tops in the league with Timmonen, Pronger, Carle, Coburn, Mezaros and O'Donnel...well, 5/6. #4 - That's the difference between a no trade and a no movement.  No trade means you can't be dealt, but you can still be exposed on waivers and sent to the minors.
    Posted by Bookboy007

and Voila !!  It's all here.  I didn't want to jinx it.
    I promise if Gagne comes to Boston I will invite some of you to games.  My buddy will take care of the seating.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

I think the confusion here is on the word "waive".  I've never seen anyone suggest Gagne would be put on waivers, but I have seen hundreds of lines devoted to whether or not he would waive his no trade clause.  I'd be very surprised to see the Flyers waive him rather than deal him to Boston, along with Boucher or Leighton, for Tim Thomas and something - a pick, a prospect, a Hunwick (which would work out the salaries).  Pick/prospect makes the most sense for the Flyers, though.  With Zherdev in the fold, they have 12 forwards not counting Carcillo and Asham who remain unemployed.  They're at least 7 deep in top 6 talent with Briere, Richards, Carter, Hartnell, Giroux, van Riemsdyk, and Zherdev.  You could throw Leino into that mix.  Put Laperriere or Betts on the third line and that's pretty solid right down to the pugilism line of Cote, Shelley, and Laperriere or Betts.  And some are already calling their D tops in the league with Timmonen, Pronger, Carle, Coburn, Mezaros and O'Donnel...well, 5/6. #4 - That's the difference between a no trade and a no movement.  No trade means you can't be dealt, but you can still be exposed on waivers and sent to the minors.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Darren Dreger DarrenDreger

Some NHL execs think Philly will place Gagne on waivers, if a trade isn't found very soon.

As for trading him to Boston for Thomas...they are looking to move him to sign their own RFAs.  They don't want salary in return.  I would love a TT for Gagne deal, but it's probably not going to happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

They don't have roster spots for their RFAs.  The only potential odd man out in that lineup above is Cote, and Powe or Carcillo won't push the envelope much more than Cote does. 

Thanks for finding the link - which also confirms that the notion of Gagne on waivers is the wishful thinking of rival GMs and not an option that the Flyers say they're considering.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Raskman - not that hes ever going to go on waivers, but if he was waived, and we picked him up, wouldn't we only be responsible for half his cap hit
    Posted by pbergeron37

No.  We only get a player at half price on re-entry waivers not if he's just put on waivers.  You take him now you are on the hook for all 5.25 million.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I was 99% sure that the point Raskman makes is correct, but you never know, so I checked the CBA.  Man, the CBA is none too clear on this subject.  Took a while to find it, but we're talking about 50.9(g)(ii).  Regular waivers and the standard transfer of an SPC via waiver claim are covered under article 13.  I won't bore you with the legalese because Raskman's correct: Claimed on Waivers = responsible for remaining contract dollars; claimed on re-entry waivers = claimed for 1/2 remaining contract collars with the waiving team paying the balance.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

I was 99% sure that the point Raskman makes is correct, but you never know, so I checked the CBA.  Man, the CBA is none too clear on this subject.  Took a while to find it, but we're talking about 50.9(g)(ii).  Regular waivers and the standard transfer of an SPC via waiver claim are covered under article 13.  I won't bore you with the legalese because Raskman's correct: Claimed on Waivers = responsible for remaining contract dollars; claimed on re-entry waivers = claimed for 1/2 remaining contract collars with the waiving team paying the balance.
    Posted by Bookboy007

So does that mean if someone claims Ryder if we try to send him to Providence, then we are responsible for $2 million?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : So does that mean if someone claims Ryder if we try to send him to Providence, then we are responsible for $2 million?
    Posted by BlackandGold24

No, but if we try to recall him he will be exposed on re-entry waivers and we would be on the hook for half if he is claimed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : No, but if we try to recall him he will be exposed on re-entry waivers and we would be on the hook for half if he is claimed.
    Posted by Raskman

That's what the Oilers did with Souray.  Since no one claimed him when he was at 5.4 million cap hit, they can send him down (eating all of it in minors in real dollars but not a cent in cap dollars) or they can send him down for a day, call him back up and see if someone wants him at 2.7 million. (With Edmonton being on the hook for the other 2.7).  In Souray's case if he shows he's healthy in camp I'm sure someone would take a flyer at 2.7 million.  In Gagne's case there are teams that have little/no offense and cap room that are probably waiting on him to go on waivers so that they don't have to give up an asset in trade to get him.

However IF he slid through waivers the same thing would apply and Philly could then put him on re-entry waivers with the Flyers having to eat 2.6 million and the claiming team only taking a cap hit of 2.6 million themselves.
    There's no doubt in my mind at all if they did that he'd be claimed immediately. At 5.25 million for the full hit, that might be more iffy. In any event unless the B's suffered an injury to a "big cap hit" player and put them on LTIR I don't see any way they could be players for him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : This is why many guys are asking for No Movement Clauses now.  The waiver wire is a nice back up if a team can't make a deal to shead salary. As for picking him up...no way.  We have around one million in cap space to sign 3 guys.  Basically we need to move someone just to fit those guys in.  Who would go to fit in a 5.25 million cap hit?  If we could find TT a home then OK, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen so we need to concentrate on the guys we have.
    Posted by Raskman

Once again you're talking about getting rid a goalie to leave the franchise to a goalie who so far as proven he collaspes after 40 games! You still don't know if your boy can do the job. So, I don't understand why everytime a discussion forum is started you have to always have to bring up a Trade TT scenerio. We have other avenues to go here. Why can't you just be happy that your team has 2 capable guys that maybe can do the job? What if your boy gets hurt? Where does that leave the Bruins? To a Curtis Sanford type.....? A Danny Sabourin? Seriously, we all have to look at worse case scenerios here. Leave the goaltending alone!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Once again you're talking about getting rid a goalie to leave the franchise to a goalie who so far as proven he collaspes after 40 games! You still don't know if your boy can do the job. So, I don't understand why everytime a discussion forum is started you have to always have to bring up a Trade TT scenerio. We have other avenues to go here. Why can't you just be happy that your team has 2 capable guys that maybe can do the job? What if your boy gets hurt? Where does that leave the Bruins? To a Curtis Sanford type.....? A Danny Sabourin? Seriously, we all have to look at worse case scenerios here. Leave the goaltending alone!
    Posted by nitemare-38

Take your TT love to another thread.  The topic is Gagne and the only way we can afford him is if TT's salary was moved.  We know that isn't happening because nobody wants him.  Don't bother responding because I've decided to ignore you and your one track mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Watching you guys argue is about the best thing I've seen on this board in a long time. The real story here is why is it that every time a player becomes available do fans from Toronto and Boston think that their team is going to get that guy? We can't even sign the guys we have or get rid of the ones we don't want. Boston needs to shed salary to sign the players we need in our system already, not go out and spend more money. I'm guessing that you people who think we should sign Gagne all have second mortgages and car loans and tonnes of credit card debt, because that's basically what you are asking PC to do with our team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosfan581. Show bosfan581's posts

Why on Earth would they put him on waivers? That doesn't make any sense.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Because the Flyers have just signed Nik Zherdev which puts the Flyers about 1.4 over the cap.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Because the Flyers have just signed Nik Zherdev which puts the Flyers about 1.4 over the cap.
    Posted by bosfan581

That explains why they might want to move him, but not why they'd throw him on the scrap heap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Just what we need, another high paid concussion problem.
    NO THANKS.

Sections
Shortcuts