Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him?:
    In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Because the Flyers have just signed Nik Zherdev which puts the Flyers about 1.4 over the cap.
    Posted by bosfan581

They have the option to trade him.  The deadline isn't for about eight months.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

he's not going on waivers...he has trade value.  some gm's will like the fact that he has only 1 yr left on his deal, because it means that there is not that much in bringing him in .  He's worth a 2nd and a 4th at least.
    Posted by Drewski5

Gagne has no trade value or he would have been traded already. Cap hit + oft injured means Philly will have to move someone they don't want too.

Holmgren still has not addressed there most glaring weakness. Turco, Leighton and Boucher are not the answers the Flyers will suffer for it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Gagne has no trade value or he would have been traded already. Cap hit + oft injured means Philly will have to move someone they don't want too. Holmgren still has not addressed there most glaring weakness. Turco, Leighton and Boucher are not the answers the Flyers will suffer for it.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It's been 11 days.  They have into September to find the right deal.  Health issues might cause a lower return, but guys who are close to a point per game when healthy have plenty of trade value.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : It's been 11 days.  They have into September to find the right deal.  Health issues might cause a lower return, but guys who are close to a point per game when healthy have plenty of trade value. Posted by Not-A-Shot

No GM is going to pay a very talented oft injured player to sit in the press box. Holmgren will have to move someone else. Gagne is never healthy and for that price he isn't going anywhere. You proved my point in bold, Thanks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : No GM is going to pay a very talented oft injured player to sit in the press box. Holmgren will have to move someone else. Gagne is never healthy and for that price he isn't going anywhere. You proved my point in bold, Thanks
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Your point will be proven when he goes on waivers.

I'll bookmark this thread, and when the outcome of Gagne is determined, we'll discuss it further.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Because the Flyers have just signed Nik Zherdev which puts the Flyers about 1.4 over the cap.
    Posted by bosfan581

I have a problem with this.   His injury last season was a broken bone and that can happen to anyone. Just plain bad luck.
    The Flyers are making a mistake in this trade off. Sure when and they will get rid of Gagne they'll have a bit more cap space but Zherdev ???  When this guy disappears during the season ..... the playoffs .....
    Without Gagne the Flyers don't beat the Bruins this past playoffs. 
    Trying to be the least bias as possible on this topic although this trade off will prove my point during the up coming season.
    Only thing now ,  the Flyers will lose negotiating powers. All the other GM's now know the Flyers are handicapped. I still don't think Gagne will be let go for nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

A few things that work in the Flyers' favour: this is the last year of Gagne's deal; we're about to get into the deperate season when teams realize their ideal team-building options aren't going to work out and they have to decide if they want to take a chance and how much risk they can accept; Gagne's salary is partially covered if he does go back on LTIR; the Flyers aren't likely to be looking for equivalent value for a player they need to move for cap reasons.

I wouldn't mind the Bruins taking a shot with Gagne - he's a big game player despite an underwhelming finals.  It would take some very fancy footwork to make that happen, though - definitely convincing the cryptkeeper to hide Ryder in the minors and dealing either Savard or Thomas somewhere other than Philly.  That starts to sound pretty high-risk.

On the subject of waivers: anyone know if you have to pass a player through waivers a second time if you don't transfer his contract?  I didn't see it when I looked for the re-entry waiver info above, but I may have just missed it.  I know some teams have exposed players to waivers then kept them on the NHL roster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

A few things that work in the Flyers' favour: this is the last year of Gagne's deal; we're about to get into the deperate season when teams realize their ideal team-building options aren't going to work out and they have to decide if they want to take a chance and how much risk they can accept; Gagne's salary is partially covered if he does go back on LTIR; the Flyers aren't likely to be looking for equivalent value for a player they need to move for cap reasons. I wouldn't mind the Bruins taking a shot with Gagne - he's a big game player despite an underwhelming finals.  It would take some very fancy footwork to make that happen, though - definitely convincing the cryptkeeper to hide Ryder in the minors and dealing either Savard or Thomas somewhere other than Philly.  That starts to sound pretty high-risk. On the subject of waivers: anyone know if you have to pass a player through waivers a second time if you don't transfer his contract?  I didn't see it when I looked for the re-entry waiver info above, but I may have just missed it.  I know some teams have exposed players to waivers then kept them on the NHL roster.
    Posted by Bookboy007

You can put them on waivers and not assign them to the minors.  It's your choice.

As for the LTIR giving you relief, it doesn't give you full value for the time missed.  Look at Savard last year.  He missed 41 games, half the season, yet we only got 33 days of LTIR relief.  That's 33 days of 193.  The math is not in the team's favor. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, not if you're expecting a total safety net, but the team has to assume some risk.  That's essentially my point in the first half of the post - who's out there and available for a reasonable price - both in terms of assets you'd have to give up and cash against the cap - who could make a significant impact?  If you're a team that feels it's a 30 goal scorer away from a real Cup run, you might take a shot at Gagne knowing that LTIR will at least give you the relief to cover a top prospect getting a shot if Simon goes down with another injury.  That might be your choice anyway - Gagne or that top prospect who might not really be ready.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Gagné may work as a plan B for the team that looses the Kovalchuk courtship.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

NO  Bruins won't sign him  they are up tight vs the cap if you did not notice they will resign campbell,wheels  and start season

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

NO  Bruins won't sign him  they are up tight vs the cap if you did not notice they will resign campbell,wheels  and start season
    Posted by mrbruin4

Seguin also needs a contract.  I don't see him going back to junior and we aren't wasting a year of his RFA status having him play in Providence.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Seguin also needs a contract.  I don't see him going back to junior and we aren't wasting a year of his RFA status having him play in Providence.
    Posted by Raskman

Raskman, it's been said a thousand times in the past 3 weeks that Seguin cannot play in Providence this season because of his age. If he does not make the Bruins he IS going back to Plymouth in the OHL. That's the only two options this year. Pay attention, your better than that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Raskman, it's been said a thousand times in the past 3 weeks that Seguin cannot play in Providence this season because of his age. If he does not make the Bruins he IS going back to Plymouth in the OHL. That's the only two options this year. Pay attention, your better than that.
    Posted by Reilly24

Actually he has to be offered to his junior club before he would be allowed to play in the minors.  Obviously they wouldn't say no to him returning.

8.7 Age 18 and 19 Players.

(a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft of an age 18 Player,

the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may Loan him.

Is that good enough for you?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Actually he has to be offered to his junior club before he would be allowed to play in the minors.  Obviously they wouldn't say no to him returning. 8.7 Age 18 and 19 Players. (a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft of an age 18 Player, the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may Loan him. Is that good enough for you?
    Posted by Raskman

The Bruins have said he's either playing in Boston or Plymouth. Seguin has said he's either playing in Boston or Plymouth. That is good enough for me. He will not play in Providence and that is a fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Actually he has to be offered to his junior club before he would be allowed to play in the minors.  Obviously they wouldn't say no to him returning. 8.7 Age 18 and 19 Players. (a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft of an age 18 Player, the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may Loan him. Is that good enough for you?
    Posted by Raskman

Where are you quoting this?  I've never heard of that provision.

As far as I know, and from everything I've read, if there's Junior eligibility left the player must return to the OHL and cannot play in the AHL (except at the end of the OHL season when the team is out of the playoffs.  This is NOT an AHL rule but a rule between the CHL and the NHL.

Seguin would have to go back to Plymouth if the Bruins elect not to keep him up with the team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : The Bruins have said he's either playing in Boston or Plymouth. Seguin has said he's either playing in Boston or Plymouth. That is good enough for me. He will not play in Providence and that is a fact.
    Posted by Reilly24

Well, I believe you said he couldn't play in Providence because of his age and then mocked my CBA knowledge.  I'm just proving my point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Where are you quoting this?  I've never heard of that provision. As far as I know, and from everything I've read, if there's Junior eligibility left the player must return to the OHL and cannot play in the AHL (except at the end of the OHL season when the team is out of the playoffs.  This is NOT an AHL rule but a rule between the CHL and the NHL. Seguin would have to go back to Plymouth if the Bruins elect not to keep him up with the team.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Copied and pasted right from the CBA.  Let's face facts, I can't see a situtation that the Whalers would say no to having him back so it's a moot point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm assuming Raskman is quoting the CBA, Article 8.7 covering loans of players to teams in other leagues (i.e. sending them  down), and specificially in this instance the loan of players 18 and 19 years of age.

You never hear it quoted in this fashion because no jr. team in its right mind would say thanks but no thanks.  If the kid is good enough to get drafted, he's probably good enough that, even if you don't want him, someone in your league will.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

I'm just telling you to stop mentioning the possibility of Seguin playing in the minors because it's not a possibility and everyone knows it except you.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

My original point that flew over most people's heads was that we wouldn't waste a year of him playing pro hockey and not be on the big club.  At his age he can only play 11 games and then it counts as a "pro" year of hockey and it puts him one year closer to UFA status. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm just telling you to stop mentioning the possibility of Seguin playing in the minors because it's not a possibility and everyone knows it except you.
    Posted by Reilly24

Actually, as shown in this thread, it is a possibility.  It's probability is low, but the possibility exists.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Actually, as shown in this thread, it is a possibility.  It's probability is low, but the possibility exists.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yah it's also possible that I will have sex with Megan Fox this year because we are both alive and we are both human. About the same odds NAS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : Copied and pasted right from the CBA.  Let's face facts, I can't see a situtation that the Whalers would say no to having him back so it's a moot point.
    Posted by Raskman

I stand corrected Raskman.  My apologies.....

Your quote from the CBA and it's implications are correct.

So I guess an 18 year old player could theortically go to the AHL instead of going back to their OHL club (if they decide not to take him back for whatever reason).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

In Response to Re: Gagne on waiver's soon...Will Bruins attempt to get him? : I stand corrected Raskman.  My apologies..... Your quote from the CBA and it's implications are correct. So I guess an 18 year old player could theortically go to the AHL instead of going back to their OHL club (if they decide not to take him back for whatever reason).
    Posted by LoveRealHockey

Even if you didn't have to give a player back to junior, what advantage is there in them playing in the minors?  None.  I'm not sure if I like Seguin going to the OHL for the whole season, but I'd love to see him get a chance to play in the World Juniors.  Bergy blossomed after playing there and I think Tyler should get the same opportunity.

This thread is way off topic.

Sections
Shortcuts