Gave up way too much

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mebackagin. Show mebackagin's posts

Gave up way too much

I hope there's plan B in place to replace that 15th pick with another 1st rounder Dennis for Horton and no 32 would have been sufficient but our 15th and a 3rd rounder next year too much. We're not talking about a 40 goal scorer here with blazing speed this is a bit of step up from what we have now I am really pissed about this!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Re: Gave up way too much

If people think that Wheeler can be a 30 goal scorer then they'll be in love with Horton.  He can finish.  It will be interesting to see him play in a system.  Florida has had 5 coaches in 5 years.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobby774. Show bobby774's posts

No Anything to get Wides out Im happy with it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Gave up way too much:
    I hope there's plan B in place to replace that 15th pick with another 1st rounder Dennis for Horton and no 32 would have been sufficient but our 15th and a 3rd rounder next year too much. We're not talking about a 40 goal scorer here with blazing speed this is a bit of step up from what we have now I am really pissed about this!
    Posted by mebackagin

Horton can excel in a hockey town with either Savard or Krejci to set him in motion.  No blazing speed but 25 years old and 6'2" and 230 lbs. on the right wing with 27, 28, and 31 goal seasons under his belt.  I know those aren't Neely numbers but I expect Cam had a lot to do with this decision - he was a big right winger with a big upside when he came from Vancouver, wasn't he.  I'm no expert but I think #15 would have given us an unproven talent - Horton's got proven talent and now he'll be in town where he'll be required to use it.  Wideman was finished here, after all the criticism (much deserved) from last year - I liked his compete level but not his $3.75M contract.  We can get another 3rd round pick if we really want one.  Good trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Gave up way too much:
    I still can't believe there is not more of an outrage over #15 for Greg Campbell. That's one fo the worst deals in recent memory.
    Posted by russgriswold

You can post this all day, in every thread we have hear.  It's won't make it any more clever, nor will it make it any more true. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

We did not give up too much.  Who cares about the 3rd rounder, we already have 2 1s and 2 2s next year.  The first rounder is tough, but would we find a Horton-level talent at #15?  Maybe, maybe not.  Our last 3 first rounders have seen exactly ONE GAME of NHL action.

Wideman was terrible all season until the playoffs where he had ONE (like the number after ZERO) GOAL and 11 assists.  Nice job, but he will not be missed. 

What was our biggest problem last year?  How about wingers who could put the puck in the net.   Horton and Seguin will address that concern.

Also, we couldn't keep Wideman, Boychuk AND Stuart - soooo, Wideman had to go. 

Nice move for the Bruins and let us remember that we will draft Seguin in less than 75 hours.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Agreed. You don't ditch a 27 year old D Man who was your leading scorer in the playoffs who needs to simply adjust his outlet passes.  What a dumb trade. Wideman's mistakes are very fixable. So many players underachieved last year, not just him.  Problem is, gifted D men with great vision, good transition offense and PP ability are very hard to find. 2 years ago he had 50 points and was a +32. You know why? Because Lucic, Wheeler, Kreicji and Savard all had much better years than this past year. Wideman tried to do too much.   Offense from the point won't happen with Stuart, Boychuk, Hunwick or any other young D Man in the system.  Heck, Wideman is better than Chara on the PP. This Horton character better turn into Cam Neely overnight to justify this. I still can't believe there is not more of an outrage over #15 for Greg Campbell. That's one fo the worst deals in recent memory.
    Posted by russgriswold

2 years ago was an anomoly look at the rest of widemen's career, and typical numbers.. If he gets back to those numbers consistanly good for him, hes young and can certainly improve, but the odds are against him.. its not like he was on a steady curve of improvement, he had one great season and earned a contract that was for a good defensemen when in reality he was just an ok defensemen..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

If Wideman gets back that form of 2008-2009 (from Oct08-Feb09) I might give the edge to Panthers . I just think his performance was tied in with the teams success and Chara having a Norris type year.
    It's the only way that 15th pick won't bother me anymore.
    Hey, who knows,  with the Leafs 2nd round pick and maybe another player we can move up in the draft ?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Ya thats putting a spin on it for sure. I dont think Wideman's issues are easily fixable. True he led the team in post-season scoring but he was too inconsistent to play top 4 minutes.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

Im sorry, but the people trashing this deal are nutz! This is HANDS DOWN a steal for the Bruins. We got WAY over value for Wideman, for the simple fact that there is a major shortage of puck moving defensemen on the market this year. And to those who say his issues are correctable, I just disagree totally. He does have a good skill set, but his hockey IQ is average at best. Combine that with his confidence issues and you have a player that will likely never be consistent.

As far as the pick, we dont need another 1st round draft pick that just sits in providence for the next 3-4 years only to come up and be a 13th forward.  Some of you guys need to understand while draft picks are important, acquiring talent in the market is equally and sometimes more important. We have plenty of draft picks over the next few years. Everyone knew our 15th overall was likely going for a player, this shouldnt be a surprise. We already have a solid group of prospects and a sick player coming through the draft this year. This is the type of move we needed to make, and my guess is there is one or two more coming within the next 48 hours.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

My biggest problem with Wideman which in my opinion is not fixable is his sub par skating ability.   This is a great deal and now watch Hunwick flourish into the player he was in his first year and even better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

PC has began putting the peices together, by additon and subtraction. He is not done yet, and so far he has addressed his needs in obtaining a w inger who can score goals, put him on with with krejci or savard and he will score 40 plus this year. Without mentiioning who else may be going, add carter to this mix, and look out.
    Im thrilled.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Gave up way too much : Horton can excel in a hockey town with either Savard or Krejci to set him in motion.  No blazing speed but 25 years old and 6'2" and 230 lbs. on the right wing with 27, 28, and 31 goal seasons under his belt.  I know those aren't Neely numbers but I expect Cam had a lot to do with this decision - he was a big right winger with a big upside when he came from Vancouver, wasn't he.  I'm no expert but I think #15 would have given us an unproven talent - Horton's got proven talent and now he'll be in town where he'll be required to use it.  Wideman was finished here, after all the criticism (much deserved) from last year - I liked his compete level but not his $3.75M contract.  We can get another 3rd round pick if we really want one.  Good trade.
    Posted by huscroft28

You are correct.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

In Response to Re: Gave up way too much : You are correct.
    Posted by Reilly24

I like the trade and I like Chiarelli doing something proactive.  Horton's already spoken about being a better player and how this move for him is going to be a good one.

"I want to be more physical and just all around be a better player," Horton said during a conference call. "I think I have more to give. I'll be working pretty hard this summer. I want to come in the best shape. I think I'm just excited for a change. It's going to be great. I think it's going to work out good."

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/06/horton_to_bruin.html

To me, that sounds pretty promising for the team.  Sign Boychuk, Stuart, and Hall/Seguin, and we're already a much improved team, in my opinion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wboi92287. Show wboi92287's posts

Agreed. You don't ditch a 27 year old D Man who was your leading scorer in the playoffs who needs to simply adjust his outlet passes.  What a dumb trade. Wideman's mistakes are very fixable. So many players underachieved last year, not just him.  Problem is, gifted D men with great vision, good transition offense and PP ability are very hard to find. 2 years ago he had 50 points and was a +32. You know why? Because Lucic, Wheeler, Kreicji and Savard all had much better years than this past year. Wideman tried to do too much.   Offense from the point won't happen with Stuart, Boychuk, Hunwick or any other young D Man in the system.  Heck, Wideman is better than Chara on the PP. This Horton character better turn into Cam Neely overnight to justify this. I still can't believe there is not more of an outrage over #15 for Greg Campbell. That's one fo the worst deals in recent memory.
    Posted by russgriswold

you sir are the dumb one, not only does his outlet passes have to improve but also his skating ability, his constant fumbling and bumbling of the puck in the defensive zone, and the inability to consistently hit the net.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I was originally concerned about the cost for Horton, but I am pleased with this deal.  While I am disappointed that we traded the #15 pick, moving Wideman's awful contract, inconsistent play, and total lack of grit is almost too-good-to-be-true.  This is a very good deal for the Bruins, PC deserves high marks for this one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

i love the fact we got horton,thinking he will love the hockey atmosphere here, talent around him,& turn into that big power forward that he was drafted as....the fact we gave up 15 in a strong draft is upsetting....id rather they gave florida next years 1st & enticed them to do so by giving 1 of this years 2nd,s.....oh well, its nice to have a scoring winger on the premises!....as far as wideman,his offense can be replaced by signing boychuk....remember he put in 22 goals for providence last year & if CJ can get off his love of vets, give him a chance at 1st PP he may do it for the B,s....that early signing of ference is all coming into play, ill have to call vinny & tony to pull back the dogs for now 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The #15 pick might have been leveraged to move up in the draft and acquire one of the blue chippers available this year.  Instead, it was swapped for another forward.  (The team will obviously get a great forward with their #2 pick...have some great prospects in Providence, as well.)

So, where are the big-boddied D-men going to come from?  I'm all for scoring more, but not entirely at the expense of a porous blue line.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

on a team void of rushing defensemen, the Bruins made sure they now have none.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

No, they signed Alexandrov.

Ohhh, you said rushing defenseman...my bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It boils down to B's gave up an all too often porous defenseman and a guy who'll help in 2012 for a guy who can score now, and add toughness....  I think they had better make sure Campbell is on the roster.  He can probably take Begin's spot without issue.

Rushing, by passing the puck?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jessup07. Show jessup07's posts

great trade, horton will be great, wideman had a great year 2 years ago when every bruin played over their head, people can say that he was a puck moving defenseman, but id bet any money he had 3x as many giveaways than he did assists.

the 15th overall is no big deal, alot of projected 15th overall guys end up getting drafted late first round or 2nd round and never pan out at all.  its a small price to pay for a guy that had 5 straight 20 goal seasons and is only 25 and big.  he will fit in nicely.

some bruin fans will never be happy with anything...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Don't be surpirsed to see us acquire the rights to Gonchar.  of course, the only way there's a chance of that happening is if we can unload Thomas or Ryder.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No, they signed Alexandrov. Ohhh, you said rushing defenseman...my bad.
    Posted by Crowls2424

Boooooooooo!  lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to Gave up way too much:
    Posted by mebackagin

Shouldn't we wait and see what HORTON  does as a BRUIN, and what else the gm has up his sleeve before saying that too much was given up?  Playing for florida could send any young player into a "funk".

Sections
Shortcuts