Gilles Gilbert

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Oreilly24. Show Oreilly24's posts

Gilles Gilbert

I agree. When Gerry Cheevers joined the WHA in the early 70s Gilles Gilbert certainly made the team competetive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThePhantomGourmet. Show ThePhantomGourmet's posts

Gilles Gilbert

Add Gilles Gilbert to the list of Bruins goalies who are BETTER than Tim Thomas the floptender, floppy, flopping, flipper like trout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rlprentiss. Show rlprentiss's posts

Gilles Gilbert

What about Frank Brimsek

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

Gilles Gilbert

Another good quebecer !!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BatmanJWO. Show BatmanJWO's posts

Gilles Gilbert

Gilbert and Moog are forgotten as greats because they never won the big one. Andy Moog was an incredible goaltender. Gilbert always seems to be remembered for the Game 7 against Montreal. On one of his videos, Don Cherry says, "Poor Gilly. He was playing his heart out!" (This immediately after the tying goal.)

Also, people have forgotten Rick Middleton. He was a superstar. With his skills, he would be the NHL poster boy today. However, he played when Gretzky played.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

Gilles Gilbert

GEEEZZ, WHO,S NEXT............... BOBBY LALOND??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Gilles Gilbert

What..do you have to be 50 or older to join this thread?

I say Moog was the greatest B's goaltender ever. But without a cup ring...you aint squat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Gilles Gilbert

Gilles Gilbert was my favorite Bruins goalie.

There were nights when he was just awesome.
    I think Reggie Lemelin and Andy Moog were a great tandem and that Gerry Cheevers was a great innovator. Cheevers is responsible for many of the rules that restrict goalies from shooting pucks into the crowd or covering the puck to get a faceoff. Cheevers knew that Bobby Orr and Phill Esposito logged alot of ice time and in order to get them a chance to catch their breath he would create a stoppage in play, anyway he could.

Another Bruins goalie from the 70's that played some great hockey was Ross Brooks. He really was a minor league goalie , but I remember him playing his heart out for the B's.

It should be mentioned that if not for expansion, a young goalie named Dan Bouchard probably would have been the B's #1 goalie from about 1974- 83 or so. Unfortunately we lost him in the expansion draft to the Atlanta Flames...he then went on to star for the Quebec Nordiques. If Bouchard had not been lost , they most likely never would have made the trade for Gilbert.

Sections
Shortcuts