Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage

Yeah, I know this sounds like an advertisement but ... I really am wondering who the regulars here prefer. Dupes and Flute or the Steves (Harris and Conroy)? Is there a difference? Do some of you who post here also post over at the Herald's Bruins site?

I for one am a Globe guy. Like Wideman most nights, KPD may have his occasional misfires but his Sunday hockey notes column is positively the best in the business (better than even the Lords of the Great White North).

And as an out of stater, I am wondering what you locals think of the papers in general? Is one more thorough and responsible than the other?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Re: Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage

Globe definitely more thorough and responsible than the Herald. I disagree about KPD though, can't stand him and his original 30 writings.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The Herald?  If I buy the Herald I also buy smut magazines and hide the Herald inside of them so I won't be embarassed being seen with it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

In Response to Re: Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage:
    The Herald?  If I buy the Herald I also buy smut magazines and hide the Herald inside of them so I won't be embarassed being seen with it.
    Posted by BadHabitude

LMFAO

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Thank you Badhabitude. Enough said about the Herald.

Dupes may be a little screwy (and he kind of disappeared around the trade deadline) but you can't beat his sourcing across the league and his ability to really break down the team. I loved how he went after Kessel-- and pointed out that player's genuine flaws. I just hope the Globe doesn't follow its parent company (NY Times) and start charging for content. If that happens, suddenly the Herald won't seem that bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

The Globe is just way too "leftist" for me. I never nake it beyond their sports pages. The Herald is a better read for everything else.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Wait, the Globe covers hockey?  Herald all the way, the Globe could care less about the Bruins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

????  98.5 !!   save the buck
    Posted by pissttt

I cringe when they talk hockey.  There are at least 5 people on this board that I can think of off the top of my head that know hockey better than those clowns.  If I were to dig into the threads around here I bet I could find more than 5 people who know more than they do. 

They are very obviously not hockey guys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

The Globe is just way too "leftist" for me. I never nake it beyond their sports pages. The Herald is a better read for everything else.
    Posted by bridgemanusa

Leftist?  The Left is right and right is wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

Well, if we're talking current announcers (to say nothing of the late, great Fred Cusick), then Doc Emmerick, hands down is the best. Doc turns ordinary nouns into verbs of splendor and when he gets going ... no one better.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJBruinswin. Show KJBruinswin's posts

The Herald has Bruins coverage? Did'nt know it but I do read that newspaper sometimes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

As long as Tomase is employed by the herald, I won't read a thing they produce

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Globe definitely more thorough and responsible than the Herald. I disagree about KPD though, can't stand him and his original 30 writings.
    Posted by mattymcgee55

Well said!  KPD is an arrogant, self-serving fool.  He's the Bud Collins of hockey reporting.  Worse than Dick Enberg, Bob Costas, and Bob Neumeier combined but with a bigger ego than all three together.

I still read the Globe, though.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MILANlucic17. Show MILANlucic17's posts

I herald might as well be called it BISH'S BLOG the way harris kisses everyones behinds in the bruins organization.

Globe any day...........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage : Yah, im just having a hard time to think of really good Hockey writers, especially in Boston, just not a fan of any of the writing, so i went to TV Announcers since they are much more informative and guys like Brick know the game, played the game. I read the Hockey News which is decent.  If you want a good reading, im reading this book from 1969 called "Bobby Orr and the Big, Bad Bruins" by Stan Fischler....its a great book about the early Orr years, from growing up in Canada to his early years in Boston...
    Posted by morphosis1974

Thanks for the tip Morph. That will be at the top of my fun reading list once my semester ends. You can't go wrong with Fischler and Larry Brooks is always good for a chuckle. Bruce Garrioch is the Canadian equivalent of KPD... great reporter, definitely opinionated, and I think deep down both root for their home teams.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I read an article that dupont wrote about the eastern conference about 3 weeks before they began the campaign that saw them with the eastern conference. I wrote him an email and explained that I thought Kessel was ready for a breakout year in terms of goal scoring because of what he did in international play and whatnot, that David Krejci was ready for a monster season, giving the Bs a lot of power up the middle, and all that jazz and i thought they were going to do well, he laughed and said that I was looking at the team through a fans eyes, and he would be SHOCKED absolutely SHOCKED if they made the playoffs....the guy doesn't know hockey
    Posted by pbergeron37

KPD seems a little schizo to me, maybe its male menopause or something.  Sometimes he's coherent and sometimes it seems he  just loses it.  I think he was a guest on the instigators once and said that PC MUST make a big move at the trade deadline or that would be the end of PC & etc. and was strongly suggesting that they do anything possible to get Kovalchuk, then Fluto had an article that sobered things up saying 'hey, there really ain't much out there' and then KPD seemed to calm down.  Or maybe he's just getting old and cranky and you caught him before his nap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

I hate liberals the Globe is way left so I wont waste my money on it. I listen to 98.5 Felger and Maz are on from 2pm - 6pm great hockey talk .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The Boston Herald is not thorough enough in coverage... ie. check the summer time or off season coverage, nothing for weeks.  Fluto does a nice job.  KDP was in the hockey circles a long time ago, his layman lingo attempts are 70s and lame now.  He is a product of reaction not information. The Herald blog is stupid, the chick from Minnesota and her retractors are boring to say the least.  There are several blogers here who have a vast amount of information on the Bruins that is interesting and engaging. Overall, I do find more insightful information on the Globe.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2010/04/video_dupont_sh.html

Fluto looks like he doesn't even want to be next to KPD. The Sunday notes are good but the problem is that KPD doesn't do his research allot of the times just mails it in (above video refers to Loungo as "that other guy"). Can't wait for Fluto to take over as the Bs senior writer.

The only time I read the Herald was for the Cetics coverage but now that Jackie MacMullan writes for the Globe see yah Herald! Money mouth

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

SanDog - is KDP referring to Luongo as "that other guy" the typical sarcastic way, as in referring to "some guy named Ovechkin" when talking about Washington?  As in, "we all know who we're talking about?"

Sorry, didn't watch the vid - but that's a typical "clever" reference employed by media-types...

KDP is pretty knowledgeable, overall.  I agree that he sometimes overdoes it on the alliteration and the out-of-date references... however, I can't fault him for his reverence for the sport of hockey, itself.  It has been a much maligned sport in these parts the past decade-plus.  So, I'm grateful to have him actually sticking it out and making an effort to keep the team - and the sport - relevant for those that care.

Could he use a primer?  An update?  Sure.  But I'd rather have some hockey writing to go to every day than none at all...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

The Boston Herald is not thorough enough in coverage... ie. check the summer time or off season coverage, nothing for weeks.  Fluto does a nice job.  KDP was in the hockey circles a long time ago, his layman lingo attempts are 70s and lame now.  He is a product of reaction not information. The Herald blog is stupid, the chick from Minnesota and her retractors are boring to say the least.  There are several blogers here who have a vast amount of information on the Bruins that is interesting and engaging. Overall, I do find more insightful information on the Globe.  
    Posted by islamorada

i agree completely.  someone earlier mentioned that the "globe doesn't care about the b's so herald all the way!"  or something like that.  and i think the points you make prove the contrary.  i, too, felt it was absurd how infrequently they updated their blog on the b's.  they wouldn't have something up for weeks while fluto was still doing AT LEAST one post daily during the 'offseason'.  kudos to fluto!!  kpd knows his sh#t but can't help himself when it comes to forcing his opinions on player (thornton, kessel, etc.).  and it's gotten old.  that said...it's still globe all the way for bruins coverage. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

"Hating liberals"

this tea party movement seems to perpetuate hatred for your countrymen... it's a disgusting new social norm

people think its acceptalbe to just come into a thread and say they hate 50% of the people in it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

too bad Jackie doesn't know a thing about hockey, she still insists that the Bs won't pay to bring players here, despite the fact that they spend to the cap every year. I think she still doesn't realize that there is a cap
    Posted by pbergeron37

Yeah, I like when jackie talks baseball. Thats about it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Globe or Herald-- Your choice for Bruins coverage
    yah jackie is amazing...i need to read her Bird/Magic book....i love when shes on WEEI...shes better than any of the regulars hosts on that show....
    Posted by morphosis1974

She does very well for being in a mans world. If saw her talking about hockey or baseball I would quite simply turn the dial or grab the remote. Like when Massarotti tries his hand at the Bruins ahh no!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

"Hating liberals" this tea party movement seems to perpetuate hatred for your countrymen... Posted by OlsonicCreations

I dodn't say I "hated" anyone. Just that the Globe spews a clear leftist bias. Can you dispute that? And sorry to burst your bubble, but the Tea party Movement is anti-big-government, not anti-liberal. Being "liberal" is not the problem, it's the "progressive big government control" that Tea party members are fighting against.
    I digress..

Either way, the Globe still has a better sports section than the Herald.

Sections
Shortcuts