Goaltending: God forbid we're happy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Goaltending: God forbid we're happy

I was just reading a thread that had a Rask guy vs. a Thomas guy and both are accusing other of making excuses and whatever else.  It got me thinking:  What's the problem?  Each goalie has his pros and cons, but as Bruins fans, we have a Vezina winning veteran who gives 100% every second he's on the ice and a young, exciting up and coming who looks like he could be the key to the next ten years.  Shouldn't that make both sides happy?

About Thomas, the Negative Nancys say:  He's too expensive.  He's unpredictable.  He doesn't inspire confidence (I hate that one), he's on the downslope.  He still hasn't proven anything. 

About Rask, the Negative Nancys say:  He hasn't proven anything.  He goes down way too fast (that's me).  He choked in the Philly series.  His bonuses cost the B's cap space this year. 

How about this:

As a Bruins fan, I say:  Wow, how lucky are we?  Our favorite team has only $6.5M locked up in goaltending and both are pretty solid.  Not only do they have a guy  who was goaltender of the year just one season removed, but they also have this young guy who looks like a brick wall!  Sure, I wish Thomas made less money and I wish Rask had more experience, but there isn't anything I can do about either of those.  Instead, I think back to all of the years with putrid goaltending, and I will look at other teams with putrid goaltending, and I will smile and say, "This season, stopping the puck will be no problem for my favorite team."

I'm sure someone will take this thread and try to turn it into Thomas stinks or Rask stinks, but try not to do it.  I dare the Anti-Thomas faction to post positive things about him, and I dare the Anti-Rask faction to post positive things about him.

As I see the goaltending situation, the B's are sitting pretty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy

Thomas does not inspire confidence.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

I support this thread.

- two solid goalies is a good thing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I agree! Let's put goaltending discussions to rest.

Some people think out loud, their thoughts are best kept inside their own heads. Everyone will be better off and we can discus items of importantance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy:
    Thomas does not inspire confidence.
    Posted by bim09

he seemed to inspire enough to warrant a 4 year deal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Can't find any bashing of Thomas on my threads but having Turco as the backup at say 2Mil instead of Thomas at 6Mil that would free up money for a trade of a puck moving defenseman or a Left Winger. I'm still concerned about the Bruins scoring as I am not troubled with allot of easy look shots getting through too the Boston's goalies because of the Bruins stingy defense.

You are correct PC is well within his goalie budget real good job there but another sniper is needed TT just might be a cap casualty because Ryder and Sturm were signed 1 year too long for a little to much. Thomas won't make it past the trade deadline.

Getting a good LW means trading some talent to get it (no trash for treasure). Talent + Cap Space = Sniper IMO. PC could always dangle Hamill ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I can't wait to see Thomas compete this season and Rask mature .
    This issue is the biggest virus around.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canbostondoit. Show Canbostondoit's posts

Rask and Thomas combo is the best in the league Rask can still start and get mature and let thomas play  25 to 30% of the games why burn out a young goalie.
    "For those who wait good things happen."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

As bad as TT's contract may be, it is largely offset by Rask's contract being way below market value. The net result is that we're in the same neighborhood as about 18 other NHL clubs in terms of goaltending costs. Not that big a deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Can't find any bashing of Thomas on my threads but having Turco as the backup at say 2Mil instead of Thomas at 6Mil that would free up money for a trade of a puck moving defenseman or a Left Winger. I'm still concerned about the Bruins scoring as I am not troubled with allot of easy look shots getting through too the Boston's goalies because of the Bruins stingy defense. You are correct PC is well within his goalie budget real good job there but another sniper is needed TT just might be a cap casualty because Ryder and Sturm were signed 1 year too long for a little to much. Thomas won't make it past the trade deadline. Getting a good LW means trading some talent to get it (no trash for treasure). Talent + Cap Space = Sniper IMO. PC could always dangle Hamill ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

I respect your opinion on this , just not sold yet on the idea.
    I've said on a number of occasions if a trade for a bonnified,  high 30's - 40 goal scorer  (depending on the player) , I would not be disappointed.
    Of course this would mean another keeper would be coming to the Bruins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I have nothing bad to say about either goalie, at least nothing that hasn't happened to any other goaltender in the NHL.

RIP Goaltending virus and don't return until the next offseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

NAS, it is not often I agree with you, but you nailed this one. There is no keeping some people happy.

Remember folks, for the last 2 years, the Bruins have been at or near the top in goals against, so what is the problem?

I really think TT should get at least 33% of the starts. Rask appears to be the One, but there is no hurry when you have that level of talent on the bench.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

The only advantage i see is Rask will continue to improve because he has TT to battle for that #1 position and TT will battle even harder to get his #1 spot back. If rask continues to win games, it will keep TT on the bench and he wont like that for too long. They will likely get TT a few games more than Rask early so they can evaluate whether or not to trade TT in the near future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Goaltending: God forbid we're happy:
    I was just reading a thread that had a Rask guy vs. a Thomas guy and both are accusing other of making excuses and whatever else.  It got me thinking:  What's the problem?  Each goalie has his pros and cons, but as Bruins fans, we have a Vezina winning veteran who gives 100% every second he's on the ice and a young, exciting up and coming who looks like he could be the key to the next ten years.  Shouldn't that make both sides happy? About Thomas, the Negative Nancys say:  He's too expensive.  He's unpredictable.  He doesn't inspire confidence (I hate that one), he's on the downslope.  He still hasn't proven anything.  About Rask, the Negative Nancys say:  He hasn't proven anything.  He goes down way too fast (that's me).  He choked in the Philly series.  His bonuses cost the B's cap space this year.  How about this: As a Bruins fan, I say:  Wow, how lucky are we?  Our favorite team has only $6.5M locked up in goaltending and both are pretty solid.  Not only do they have a guy  who was goaltender of the year just one season removed, but they also have this young guy who looks like a brick wall!  Sure, I wish Thomas made less money and I wish Rask had more experience, but there isn't anything I can do about either of those.  Instead, I think back to all of the years with putrid goaltending, and I will look at other teams with putrid goaltending, and I will smile and say, "This season, stopping the puck will be no problem for my favorite team." I'm sure someone will take this thread and try to turn it into Thomas stinks or Rask stinks, but try not to do it.  I dare the Anti-Thomas faction to post positive things about him, and I dare the Anti-Rask faction to post positive things about him. As I see the goaltending situation, the B's are sitting pretty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Dang it...just when I'm ready to write you off as a constant provoker and unnecessarily sarcastic pusher of other peoples' buttons for no other reason than to make web forums an even unhappier place than they already are, you go ahead and reflect one of my own exact feelings regarding this exas[erating hockey team we're all dedicated to following.

It's been driving me crazy to hear all the idiotic bickering about the ONE AREA in which the Bruins actually DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM: goaltending.

I've expressed amazement at the totally futility and meaninglessness of the Rask v. Thomas debate before, but you summed it up here nicely.

As soon as PC trades away Savard fans will really have something to worry about and then the long knives will come out for real...but this goalie thing is a non-issue...it's like blaming the break-down of a car on the color of the paint job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from twentyfour. Show twentyfour's posts

Excellent post, NAS...I agree totally.  As a team, I think the B's are in a good spot.  A tweak here or there, but it's not like they need to gut the roster and start all over again.  If it's true that good teams are built from the goal out, then we have NOTHING to complain about.

Of course that's not going to stop some people from complaining anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

The only goaltending problem I see in the near future is if CJ can figure out how to split the time properly between these two. He needs to learn that he's not going to hurt the feelings of Goalie A if he is pulled in favor of goalie B even though goalie A isn't showing signs of fatigue.

The worst thing you can do to a goalie like TT is leave him on the bench for a month and then expect him to carry the team on his first game back. Except in the case of injury, the work load should be split 50/50. 41 games for Rask and 41 games for Thomas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

NAS you are absolutely right on this one. TT is a very recent Vezina winner, and hates to lose in anything. Where were the bashers when he won the Vezina? Do they think he won because he is a nice guy?? He won on talent and performance. PC honored his Vezina with a solid contract, and the read on Rask was ' not quite there yet". Well, Rask improved. He has a clasic style; he added some weight and focus; and he earned the starting job by performance. TT did not lose, Tuuka won. Now the B's have ,as noted, the best tandem in the league. PC is still tinkering with the forwards, and is not finished with the defense, but goalie is good to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from degolds. Show degolds's posts

[QUOTE]I was just reading a thread that had a Rask guy vs. a Thomas guy and both are accusing other of making excuses and whatever else.  It got me thinking:  What's the problem?  Each goalie has his pros and cons, but as Bruins fans, we have a Vezina winning veteran who gives 100% every second he's on the ice and a young, exciting up and coming who looks like he could be the key to the next ten years.  Shouldn't that make both sides happy? About Thomas, the Negative Nancys say:  He's too expensive.  He's unpredictable.  He doesn't inspire confidence (I hate that one), he's on the downslope.  He still hasn't proven anything.  About Rask, the Negative Nancys say:  He hasn't proven anything.  He goes down way too fast (that's me).  He choked in the Philly series.  His bonuses cost the B's cap space this year.  How about this: As a Bruins fan, I say:  Wow, how lucky are we?  Our favorite team has only $6.5M locked up in goaltending and both are pretty solid.  Not only do they have a guy  who was goaltender of the year just one season removed, but they also have this young guy who looks like a brick wall!  Sure, I wish Thomas made less money and I wish Rask had more experience, but there isn't anything I can do about either of those.  Instead, I think back to all of the years with putrid goaltending, and I will look at other teams with putrid goaltending, and I will smile and say, "This season, stopping the puck will be no problem for my favorite team." I'm sure someone will take this thread and try to turn it into Thomas stinks or Rask stinks, but try not to do it.  I dare the Anti-Thomas faction to post positive things about him, and I dare the Anti-Rask faction to post positive things about him. As I see the goaltending situation, the B's are sitting pretty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    I think you are wrong about Thomas giving 100% every second he is on the ice, I have seen him let pucks in that my mother could stop. After her got the nice contract that he earned he was not the same goalie maybe thinking to much about (I FINALLY MADE IT). He may bounce back and i hope he does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Having 2 good goalies is about the best problem a team can have.

I also think you will see a fairly evenish split between the two to show TT's value and health, tradewise. The questions are, how bad does TT want to be a #1? Will he be happy in more of a backup role? Watching him on the bench last year, he looked like someone just pissed in his cheerios. Not too sure he has it in him to accept a backup role if need be. And quite honestly I feel the team could have a bigger upside with using his 5 mil for a talented forward. Pinning alot of our hope of regaining our scoring touch on a super talented rookie and a player who has always had his motivation questioned might be dissapointing, don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see (and for) these guy's, but is it enough?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I remember we once had another Vezina goalie Jim Carrey.  Tim Thomas = Jim Carrey.  They both were not true NHL starting goalies who won a Vezina based on having a great defence in front of them.  When Manny Fernandez was healthy and playing in front of our defence his goals against (about .5 per game) and SV% were much better than his career numbers.  Tuuukka Rask managed to lead the NHL in goal against and SV% as a rookie in front of this defence.  This leads me to believe it is our defence that is good and not the goalies.  I still have hope for Rask to develope. But Thomas is clearly on the down slope of his carreer and we need to rid ourselve of his cap hit at all reasonable costs (I would be more than willing to throw our first next year plus TT for a 7th round pick).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I remember we once had another Vezina goalie Jim Carrey.  Tim Thomas = Jim Carrey.  They both were not true NHL starting goalies who won a Vezina based on having a great defence in front of them.  When Manny Fernandez was healthy and playing in front of our defence his goals against (about .5 per game) and SV% were much better than his career numbers.  Tuuukka Rask managed to lead the NHL in goal against and SV% as a rookie in front of this defence.  This leads me to believe it is our defence that is good and not the goalies.  I still have hope for Rask to develope. But Thomas is clearly on the down slope of his carreer and we need to rid ourselve of his cap hit at all reasonable costs (I would be more than willing to throw our first next year plus TT for a 7th round pick).
    Posted by Orrthebest

There must be 1,000 threads dedicated to complaining about the goaltending.  Thanks for honoring my request to keep this one positive.

Honestly, was it really that difficult?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

For the record for all those who suggest this is an "awful contract" there are 11 goalies making more then Thomas tied for 11th, 3 earning within a million dollars who earn less acrossed 15 teams.  

Other teams are giong with guys that are still on their entry level deal, are going to try to platoon 2 mediocre goalies or have taken a chance with a guy who is hoping to resurect his career.

There are a small handful of guys on decent deals coming off their entry level contracts but these are all still younger guys who are much less proven and for the most part were able to walk away or dealt while still RFA (think Leclaire, lehtonen and Rinne, probably price)

Not a bad value for a guy having come off a vezina season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peanator. Show Peanator's posts

I was just reading a thread that had a Rask guy vs. a Thomas guy and both are accusing other of making excuses and whatever else.  It got me thinking:  What's the problem?  Each goalie has his pros and cons, but as Bruins fans, we have a Vezina winning veteran who gives 100% every second he's on the ice and a young, exciting up and coming who looks like he could be the key to the next ten years.  Shouldn't that make both sides happy? About Thomas, the Negative Nancys say:  He's too expensive.  He's unpredictable.  He doesn't inspire confidence (I hate that one), he's on the downslope.  He still hasn't proven anything.  About Rask, the Negative Nancys say:  He hasn't proven anything.  He goes down way too fast (that's me).  He choked in the Philly series.  His bonuses cost the B's cap space this year.  How about this: As a Bruins fan, I say:  Wow, how lucky are we?  Our favorite team has only $6.5M locked up in goaltending and both are pretty solid.  Not only do they have a guy  who was goaltender of the year just one season removed, but they also have this young guy who looks like a brick wall!  Sure, I wish Thomas made less money and I wish Rask had more experience, but there isn't anything I can do about either of those.  Instead, I think back to all of the years with putrid goaltending, and I will look at other teams with putrid goaltending, and I will smile and say, "This season, stopping the puck will be no problem for my favorite team." I'm sure someone will take this thread and try to turn it into Thomas stinks or Rask stinks, but try not to do it.  I dare the Anti-Thomas faction to post positive things about him, and I dare the Anti-Rask faction to post positive things about him. As I see the goaltending situation, the B's are sitting pretty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

great great post NAS !

We're pretty lucky to have 2 solid keepers ! It's sad that is not everybody who know this !

For me, you are a reference on this forum !

You put facts and your opinion are always smart without bashing !

Congrats !
    I Wish others to take example on you !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Rask has the potential to be in the league's elite. Thomas has been there, and wants to be there again. Both goalies give the B's arguably the best 1-1A punch in the league. There are positives and negatives about both goalies. But overall there is no better tandem in the NHL. I would not be surprised, or opposed, to see a 50/50 split between them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : There must be 1,000 threads dedicated to complaining about the goaltending.  Thanks for honoring my request to keep this one positive. Honestly, was it really that difficult?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I am so sorry that I can not be a blind pom pom waiving fool and felt the right to post what I feel about our goaltending situation.

Sections
Shortcuts