Goaltending: God forbid we're happy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy

God forbid you disagree with NAS and his worshipers on thread #1001 about this topic.

$5 million for a 35-39 year old backup is a cap nightmare and two goalie systems are over rated imo.  Loved the goalie but now hate his contract as it prevents the team I still love from improving.  So negative I will remain.  Next topic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151040/

People who say Thomas is preventing the Bruins from improving = Underpants Gnomes.

Step 1 - ditch TT
    Step 2 - uuuunnhn
    Step 3 - 40 goal winger!

The following players scored 37+ goals last year:
    Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Marleau, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Semin, Heatley, Parise.

The first three?  Not available.  Marleau?  Shedding Tim Thomas would leave you about just under $2M short to pay him - not including the cost of a back up goaltender.  Gaborik? You're short $2.5M and that's for a guy who's as likely to spend the year on injured reserve as score 40 again.  I think we can scratch the idea of paying Kovalchuk's dime.  Semin?  Might be available, but he's alread $1M more than TT, and he's a UFA next year so if he scores 40 again, he won't be looking for a pay cut. That leaves Parise - a guy still on RFA after this contract.  Think he's available, fine, maybe Kovalchuk makes him a luxury - but what do you think Lou's asking for him?  Here's a hint, his initials are TS, and that's not the end of the conversation.  This symbol would appear frequently: "&".

Add Nash, Staal, Vanek, Hossa, Jeff Carter, and Cammalieri from two years ago and you're no closer to a legit 40 goal range winger who you could get by shedding Thomas's cap space.

In other words, to date, Thomas's contract has not cost the Bruins the scoring winger underpants gnomes crave.  And there's not much likelihood of that changing unless a) the Bruins walk away from a crazy contract for Wheeler and b) Wheeler scores 40 goals next year.  I ain't losing sleep.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Alright, what happened to the Not-A-Shot that we all know?  Somebody with a somewhat positive outlook on life must have kidnapped him and is posting under his username.  Call the police! 

Hopefully that comes off as the good natured ribbing that it was intended to be.

NAS, I agree wholeheartedly.  While neither goalie has shown to be perfect, they are a damn good tandem.  I think that Thomas got the sh!t end of the stick last season, with defensive errors costing him several goals against.  He stupidly and unprofessionally let his temper get the best of him, punching a wall after a loss and breaking his hand, paving the way for Rask to take over.  I hope that he learned a lesson about composure and anger management from the ordeal.  He would be a fool not to have learned from it, because it nearly cost him his career.

I think that he will come back and prove a lot of haters wrong this season.  He has made a career out of proving his detractors wrong, and there is no reason to believe that he can't do it again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy:
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/151040/ People who say Thomas is preventing the Bruins from improving = Underpants Gnomes. Step 1 - ditch TT Step 2 - uuuunnhn Step 3 - 40 goal winger! The following players scored 37+ goals last year: Crosby, Stamkos, Ovechkin, Marleau, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Semin, Heatley, Parise. The first three?  Not available.  Marleau?  Shedding Tim Thomas would leave you about just under $2M short to pay him - not including the cost of a back up goaltender.  Gaborik? You're short $2.5M and that's for a guy who's as likely to spend the year on injured reserve as score 40 again.  I think we can scratch the idea of paying Kovalchuk's dime.  Semin?  Might be available, but he's alread $1M more than TT, and he's a UFA next year so if he scores 40 again, he won't be looking for a pay cut. That leaves Parise - a guy still on RFA after this contract.  Think he's available, fine, maybe Kovalchuk makes him a luxury - but what do you think Lou's asking for him?  Here's a hint, his initials are TS, and that's not the end of the conversation.  This symbol would appear frequently: "&". Add Nash, Staal, Vanek, Hossa, Jeff Carter, and Cammalieri from two years ago and you're no closer to a legit 40 goal range winger who you could get by shedding Thomas's cap space. In other words, to date, Thomas's contract has not cost the Bruins the scoring winger underpants gnomes crave.  And there's not much likelihood of that changing unless a) the Bruins walk away from a crazy contract for Wheeler and b) Wheeler scores 40 goals next year.  I ain't losing sleep.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Your forgetting 2 other very common threads.. Kessel is a perennial 40 goal man with 50 goal potential..

And wheelers all but gauranteed to be top 10 in scoring for the next decade (though its only one poster posting that one again and again)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Perhaps improving was the wrong word.  How about maintaing the roster.  Still got two players to sign and there appears to be very little $ left to do it.  Talk about dumping guys in the minors, trading a quality centre or walking away from Wheelers arbitration (which I would do if the # was too high)...Does it not make more sense to look at the backup goalie's contract and try to unload it considering he is mkaing starters money?  

I didn't say get a 40 goal scorer with that money but if making crap up makes your arguement work...have at er.  But name calling?  Really Bboy?  Did I get diverted to the youth at risk section of the Bruins discussion board?  Too much! 

Anyway, I would rather use the room to hold on to what we have and improve slightly in any area as apposed to eat up $5 million on a back at the age of 35-39.  Just saying.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Perhaps improving was the wrong word.  How about maintaing the roster.  Still got two players to sign and there appears to be very little $ left to do it.  Talk about dumping guys in the minors, trading a quality centre or walking away from Wheelers arbitration (which I would do if the # was too high)...Does it not make more sense to look at the backup goalie's contract and try to unload it considering he is mkaing starters money?   I didn't say get a 40 goal scorer with that money but if making crap up makes your arguement work...have at er.  But name calling?  Really Bboy?  Did I get diverted to the youth at risk section of the Bruins discussion board?  Too much!  Anyway, I would rather use the room to hold on to what we have and improve slightly in any area as apposed to eat up $5 million on a back at the age of 35-39.  Just saying.
    Posted by misterpaulo

You don't think its a little premature to harp on thomas as a back up at this point..
    Rask clearly did not take the starting job over at the start of the season, and thomas finished the season up and had surgery so I am guessing the 2 are in a direct relation with each other...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

Not premature at all.  Rask didn't take the job at the start because the intention was for him was to back up and not challenge the Vezina winner for his job.  It wasn't his role to be a starter in Oct and it does take some time to take a vets job away.  After seeing the two play a fair amount of games and considering what each gets paid, CJ still could not continue to use Thomas as the starter and keep a straight face or keep his job.  Rask could be unproven and might be the next Blaine Lacher but I don't think this will happen. 

But who cares what I think?  The head coach of the team and I assume management (or they would have fired CJ) feels Rask is the #1.  Not 1A.  Not part of a duo.  If this was the case, Thomas would have been given another chance because there were times (very few mind you) where you could have argued it's time to give TT another look.  Bit it never happened and the coach road Rask.  The 2009-2010 season unfolded and ended with a new #1 goalie.  The goalie the organization knew was going to eventually take the reigns.  Rask has just done it sooner than later creating an issue with overpaying....yes, the backup. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mquig94. Show mquig94's posts

Couldnt agree more. I am a Thomas fan myself and only dislike rask because he took over Thomas' startimng job

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : I respect your opinion on this , just not sold yet on the idea. I've said on a number of occasions if a trade for a bonnified,  high 30's - 40 goal scorer  (depending on the player) , I would not be disappointed. Of course this would mean another keeper would be coming to the Bruins.Posted by BsLegion

PC won't just dump Thomas that is for sure it will be interesting to see what Tim fetches. It's going to take awhile for things to shake out me thinks. Timmah is a good man and a solid goalie I just want the money because I like PC didn't think Rask would be this good this fast.

His first 3 or 4 starts will say allot...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

No need to dislike either goalie.  I'm a Thomas fan as well, but he did open the door for Rask by breaking his hand in a temper tantrum.  I agree with others who think that Rask looked like he needed a rest after game 4 of the Flyers series, but given that Timmy had hip surgery right after the playoffs, he was probably not a great option at that point.

The beauty of the Bruins' situation is that if either goalie falters, the other one is more than capable of racking up a bunch of wins.  As others have stated, it's a good problem to have.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm reporting this to BruinFanInPensCountry - I like to help people with research.  Tag this one: assuming he's being addressed directly (interpellative fallacy).

mrpaulo:
    You
    didn't say 40 goal winger, but if you've been following the moaning about Thomas's contract, that's the connection many people imply.  On this thread alone, BsLegion (sorry Legion) mentions being willing to deal Thomas if it meant a legit 40 goal winger.  If you'd prefer I drop the tongue in cheek name calling, fine, I'll make the point without it: to date, the Thomas contract has not prevented the Bruins from signing anyone, and the only players it's led them to deal are Morris, who played OK hockey in Boston but was never a good fit, and Kobasew who looks like he's not physically able to be the player he was two and three years ago.  You might bring up Phil K., but that deal was ridiculous and Chiarelli would have been a fool to match an offer of that magnitude.

I think NAS's point from the start here, though, is that you'd have to add a pretty significant piece in place of Thomas to off-set the security he provides whether he splits time with Rask or plays a back-up's 25 games.  If Thomas plays like a starter when he's in, then that's a heck of an advantage over teams going with Johan Hedberg or Patrick Lalime for 1/4 to 1/3 of their season.

Perhaps improving was the wrong word.  How about maintaing the roster.  Still got two players to sign and there appears to be very little $ left to do it.  Talk about dumping guys in the minors, trading a quality centre or walking away from Wheelers arbitration (which I would do if the # was too high)...Does it not make more sense to look at the backup goalie's contract and try to unload it considering he is mkaing starters money?   I didn't say get a 40 goal scorer with that money but if making crap up makes your arguement work...have at er.  But name calling?  Really Bboy?  Did I get diverted to the youth at risk section of the Bruins discussion board?  Too much!  Anyway, I would rather use the room to hold on to what we have and improve slightly in any area as apposed to eat up $5 million on a back at the age of 35-39.  Just saying.
    Posted by misterpaulo

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...okay, I should have verified that Legion said 30-40 goal scorer.  I stand by the point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Not premature at all.  Rask didn't take the job at the start because the intention was for him was to back up and not challenge the Vezina winner for his job.  It wasn't his role to be a starter in Oct and it does take some time to take a vets job away.  After seeing the two play a fair amount of games and considering what each gets paid, CJ still could not continue to use Thomas as the starter and keep a straight face or keep his job.  Rask could be unproven and might be the next Blaine Lacher but I don't think this will happen.  But who cares what I think?  The head coach of the team and I assume management (or they would have fired CJ) feels Rask is the #1.  Not 1A.  Not part of a duo.  If this was the case, Thomas would have been given another chance because there were times (very few mind you) where you could have argued it's time to give TT another look.  Bit it never happened and the coach road Rask.  The 2009-2010 season unfolded and ended with a new #1 goalie.  The goalie the organization knew was going to eventually take the reigns.  Rask has just done it sooner than later creating an issue with overpaying....yes, the backup. 
    Posted by misterpaulo[/QUOTE]

Rask took over pressumably after thomas was hurt, he played 45 regular season games a majority going into and after the olympics, thomas had an injury very similar to krejci's, meaning he could play on it with out further damaging it. I would assume with being named to the olympics, still feeling he could play, and the bruins having no insurance/back up goalie they decided to play it out.

I have not seen one published comment to suggest rask would start the season as number one, or that he was now the #1 goalie and the bruins would not be platooning the two, or making the decision during training camp. So again, still premature to assert that rask is now the starting goalie and thomas it eh back up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : I am so sorry that I can not be a blind pom pom waiving fool and felt the right to post what I feel about our goaltending situation.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

No but you could be a decent human being & just shut-up & do what the poster asked. If you can't do that then be civil enough to start you're own forum & be pessimis in that! Can I ask you to change your name because you're tarnishing the greatest player who ever lived with your attitude & drivel!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : There must be 1,000 threads dedicated to complaining about the goaltending.  Thanks for honoring my request to keep this one positive. Honestly, was it really that difficult?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

NAS- Thanks for this. I & few others have tried simular approaches, but this type of forum seems to attract the idiots & the morons. Even when asked nicely they still need to say their garbage. Lucoo,SOXFANinIL,PBergeron,Xemius,OrrtheBest & all the rest of the clan will have their say before this is done! They have to because they think they're better than anyone else, they think they're smarter & they ARE ALL LEGENDS!- Too bad it's all in their own mind, but they will feel the need to do the opposite of what you ask?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

NAS- I am a TT fan, but I am a Bruins fan first. I have said before we should be happy with the goalie situation. Not since Moog/Lemelin has it been this strong & this one is even better. I think Rask has what it takes to be a bonafide starter, but I also think he has a lot to learn & I think TT's comepete level will help the kid. I also think that giving the reigns to a goalie at such a young age is asking for trouble. Especailly for a franchise that hasnt had a championship for almost 40 yrs. That's a lot to put on anyone. He needs more experience & he needs a TT to help him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

[QUOTE]Thomas does not inspire confidence.
    Posted by bim09[/QUOTE]

Oh? Who on the Bruins or in management have you heard say he doesn't? I can tell you lots of Bruins that have said he does. And you obviously can't read, or have poor reading comprehension. I believe NAS said positive feedback, or refrain from posting.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neelybestallaround. Show Neelybestallaround's posts

Great post NAS! Thank You. I think we should be happy about our goalie situation.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : Oh? Who on the Bruins or in management have you heard say he doesn't? I can tell you lots of Bruins that have said he does. And you obviously can't read, or have poor reading comprehension. I believe NAS said positive feedback, or refrain from posting.Posted by Neelybestallaround

nASS your drill sargent Neely ? Yes sir says "beastallaround" I'm your kool aid carrier! OK show me some links or quotes were Bruins players said Thomas instills confidence during the 10' season not the 09' season ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Goaltending: God forbid we're happy:
    I was just reading a thread that had a Rask guy vs. a Thomas guy and both are accusing other of making excuses and whatever else.  It got me thinking:  What's the problem?  Each goalie has his pros and cons, but as Bruins fans, we have a Vezina winning veteran who gives 100% every second he's on the ice and a young, exciting up and coming who looks like he could be the key to the next ten years.  Shouldn't that make both sides happy? About Thomas, the Negative Nancys say:  He's too expensive.  He's unpredictable.  He doesn't inspire confidence (I hate that one), he's on the downslope.  He still hasn't proven anything.  About Rask, the Negative Nancys say:  He hasn't proven anything.  He goes down way too fast (that's me).  He choked in the Philly series.  His bonuses cost the B's cap space this year.  How about this: As a Bruins fan, I say:  Wow, how lucky are we?  Our favorite team has only $6.5M locked up in goaltending and both are pretty solid.  Not only do they have a guy  who was goaltender of the year just one season removed, but they also have this young guy who looks like a brick wall!  Sure, I wish Thomas made less money and I wish Rask had more experience, but there isn't anything I can do about either of those.  Instead, I think back to all of the years with putrid goaltending, and I will look at other teams with putrid goaltending, and I will smile and say, "This season, stopping the puck will be no problem for my favorite team." I'm sure someone will take this thread and try to turn it into Thomas stinks or Rask stinks, but try not to do it.  I dare the Anti-Thomas faction to post positive things about him, and I dare the Anti-Rask faction to post positive things about him. As I see the goaltending situation, the B's are sitting pretty.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

So because Nathan Horton only makes 4 million, Mark Recchi only makes 1 million & Shawn Thornton only makes 850,000 is it okay to be paying Micheal Ryder 4 million? Hey we are only paying our Right Wingers 10 million. 

I am sorry but that is a way to simply attempt to justify a ridiculous Thomas contract. Tim Thomas let this team down last year & deserves to be called out. The team gave him a ridiculous 4 yr deal worth 5 million per & he regressed to the point where the Bs were forced to use a 22 yr old who was able to attain his bonuses due to his great play. Now the Bs are being penalized on this years cap because of Rask achieving most of his bonuses.

I am sorry but Thomas' inconsistentcies hugely attributed to that. He got the money & thus far hasn't kept up his end of the bargain. To have a 5 million dollar backup goalie opening the bench door in the playoffs is a disaster of a contract no matter how people try to spin it. The terms were terrible at the time & look even worse now. Chia panicked & the Bs are paying for it. The fact that the deal was considered a 35+ deal & Chia apparently didn't realize is even more reason for fans to be upset. He has 3 years left yet & no matter what happens he will be counted against the cap.

The only positive thing I can say about Thomas now is as a Bruins fan I really hope he can rebound & build back some of that value so some desperate team may take a shot at him. Right now the Bs can't give him away & if he continues to regress the Bs will be stuck icing a team with 5 million less on there cap then other teams. Monumental mistake from Chia & he & THomas should be held accountable.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

As bad as TT's contract may be, it is largely offset by Rask's contract being way below market value. The net result is that we're in the same neighborhood as about 18 other NHL clubs in terms of goaltending costs. Not that big a deal.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

It is a big deal when the team is desperate right now to get below the cap & still have not added a puckmoving Dman they desperately need.

When you are lucky enough to have your number 1 making 1.25 million you have to take advantage of that in a capworld. Not have the backup making 5 million while you have other major holes to fill. I am sorry but spin regarding the 6.25 for goaltending does not work. Thomas is an albatross on this team now & everyone league wise knows it except the Thomas lovers who refuse to admit it & probably always will.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : So because Nathan Horton only makes 4 million, Mark Recchi only makes 1 million & Shawn Thornton only makes 850,000 is it okay to be paying Micheal Ryder 4 million? Hey we are only paying our Right Wingers 10 million.  I am sorry but that is a way to simply attempt to justify a ridiculous Thomas contract. Tim Thomas let this team down last year & deserves to be called out. The team gave him a ridiculous 4 yr deal worth 5 million per & he regressed to the point where the Bs were forced to use a 22 yr old who was able to attain his bonuses due to his great play. Now the Bs are being penalized on this years cap because of Rask achieving most of his bonuses. I am sorry but Thomas' inconsistentcies hugely attributed to that. He got the money & thus far hasn't kept up his end of the bargain. To have a 5 million dollar backup goalie opening the bench door in the playoffs is a disaster of a contract no matter how people try to spin it. The terms were terrible at the time & look even worse now. Chia panicked & the Bs are paying for it. The fact that the deal was considered a 35+ deal & Chia apparently didn't realize is even more reason for fans to be upset. He has 3 years left yet & no matter what happens he will be counted against the cap. The only positive thing I can say about Thomas now is as a Bruins fan I really hope he can rebound & build back some of that value so some desperate team may take a shot at him. Right now the Bs can't give him away & if he continues to regress the Bs will be stuck icing a team with 5 million less on there cap then other teams. Monumental mistake from Chia & he & THomas should be held accountable.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Thomas should be held accountable for his play, nothing else..
    As far as it being a monumental mistake?  wow really?

I posted something hear, or on another thread, there are 13 goalies who earn more then thomas, there are abother 3 goalies who all make with in a million dollars, and then there are a small handful of guys making about 3.5m.  All of the guys making 3.5 are in there 2nd contract at this point, many of them are stil questionable as a starter.   

Thomas also signed his deal coming off a vezina. Go look at some numbers and come back with a figure on how many established starters are making less then thomas.  As far as the idea of letting thomas walk to go with an untested rookie, that is rediculous, and equally as bad is the idea that he could walk and we could sign some journey back and between the two filled the role that way. Because Philly and chicago had success with that this year does not make it the key to success.  Over the history of the league strong franchises are usually build on goal tending.

The the bruins aren't tight to the cap because of 1 or 2 single contracts, there is no one on this team who is "outrageously" over paid. If you have a good team you are going to be tight to the cap, plain and simple no way around it.  If you get lucky, you have a core of good young guys still on EL deals (like chicago's guys all just came off).  
       Problem is the bruins haven't gone through a complete rebuilding phase, we have a young roster, but its not loaded with 20 year old rookies built for winning tomorrow. And keep in mind you need to take into account who was available at the time of the signing, as well as needs of other teams, and what was the market at that time.. Huet took a deal for more then thomas from chicago with far less on his resume..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Really happy having two quality goalies. Can't think of too many more goalie combos that I've felt more comfortable with. Lemelin-Moog and Cheevers-Gilbert are two that come to mind . Just remember all the bad goalie combinations the B's have had before wanting to break up this duo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : Thomas should be held accountable for his play, nothing else.. As far as it being a monumental mistake?  wow really? I posted something hear, or on another thread, there are 13 goalies who earn more then thomas, there are abother 3 goalies who all make with in a million dollars, and then there are a small handful of guys making about 3.5m.  All of the guys making 3.5 are in there 2nd contract at this point, many of them are stil questionable as a starter.    Thomas also signed his deal coming off a vezina. Go look at some numbers and come back with a figure on how many established starters are making less then thomas.  As far as the idea of letting thomas walk to go with an untested rookie, that is rediculous, and equally as bad is the idea that he could walk and we could sign some journey back and between the two filled the role that way. Because Philly and chicago had success with that this year does not make it the key to success.  Over the history of the league strong franchises are usually build on goal tending. The the bruins aren't tight to the cap because of 1 or 2 single contracts, there is no one on this team who is "outrageously" over paid. If you have a good team you are going to be tight to the cap, plain and simple no way around it.  If you get lucky, you have a core of good young guys still on EL deals (like chicago's guys all just came off).      Problem is the bruins haven't gone through a complete rebuilding phase, we have a young roster, but its not loaded with 20 year old rookies built for winning tomorrow. And keep in mind you need to take into account who was available at the time of the signing, as well as needs of other teams, and what was the market at that time.. Huet took a deal for more then thomas from chicago with far less on his resume..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

I am sorry but when you are in the 1st year of a multi year deal & you are replaced by by a 22 yr old & you are sitting on the bench with your biggest contribution for the stretch run & playoffs is opening a gate while making 5 million in a cap league then that is a monumental mistake.

To be fair I had no problem with Thomas making 5 million on a shortterm deal. My problem was & is the terms & the fact that he has a NMC & is considered a 35+ contract which has backed the Bruins into a corner. How many of them goalies you are comparing to Thomas spent the playoffs as a backup? How many of them had one of the top goalie prospects in the world ready to step in within a couple of years of signing there contract?

As for coming off the Vezina. I believe Thomas was actually signed before it was announced that he won the Vezina.

Also, I admit I have never been a fan of Thomas or his style. Jim Carey won a Vezina as well. But I really feel that both Thomas, Rask & even Fernandez when healthy have taken advantage of a great goalie system where a lot of the shots are from the perimeter. The difference is Rask is 22 yrs old & is sound technically while Thomas tends to flop & rely on instincts.

As for the Thomas contract or the Bs been pressured into signing him. Do you really believe that another team would have given Thomas a 4 yr deal at that money & a NMC given the fact that he was a 35+ contract? I don't believe so. He would have got the money but the term & perks that came with the contract would have been dangerous for any team. Chia lost in every aspect of that deal.

To this point I have yet to see any writer question Chia on these contracts & have him verify he made a mistake about the 35+ part of the contract. If it is true that he didn't realize Thomas would be a 35+ contract when he signed the deal then Chia should be held accountable for that. But it appears the writers in Boston would rather write fluff pieces about there "sources" then actually hold Chia & the overvalued players accountable.

This is what is wrong with this team right now. No accountability from the management team or the players. Until that changes this team will continue to be a dissapointment in the playoffs. If Chia made this mistake in Toronto he would be blasted by the media. In Boston the writers (especially on this site) & reporters appear to be scared to ask the tough questions.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goaltending: God forbid we're happy : I am sorry but when you are in the 1st year of a multi year deal & you are replaced by by a 22 yr old & you are sitting on the bench with your biggest contribution for the stretch run & playoffs is opening a gate while making 5 million in a cap league then that is a monumental mistake. To be fair I had no problem with Thomas making 5 million on a shortterm deal. My problem was & is the terms & the fact that he has a NMC & is considered a 35+ contract which has backed the Bruins into a corner. How many of them goalies you are comparing to Thomas spent the playoffs as a backup? How many of them had one of the top goalie prospects in the world ready to step in within a couple of years of signing there contract? As for coming off the Vezina. I believe Thomas was actually signed before it was announced that he won the Vezina. Also, I admit I have never been a fan of Thomas or his style. Jim Carey won a Vezina as well. But I really feel that both Thomas, Rask & even Fernandez when healthy have taken advantage of a great goalie system where a lot of the shots are from the perimeter. The difference is Rask is 22 yrs old & is sound technically while Thomas tends to flop & rely on instincts. As for the Thomas contract or the Bs been pressured into signing him. Do you really believe that another team would have given Thomas a 4 yr deal at that money & a NMC given the fact that he was a 35+ contract? I don't believe so. He would have got the money but the term & perks that came with the contract would have been dangerous for any team. Chia lost in every aspect of that deal. To this point I have yet to see any writer question Chia on these contracts & have him verify he made a mistake about the 35+ part of the contract. If it is true that he didn't realize Thomas would be a 35+ contract when he signed the deal then Chia should be held accountable for that. But it appears the writers in Boston would rather write fluff pieces about there "sources" then actually hold Chia & the overvalued players accountable. This is what is wrong with this team right now. No accountability from the management team or the players. Until that changes this team will continue to be a dissapointment in the playoffs. If Chia made this mistake in Toronto he would be blasted by the media. In Boston the writers (especially on this site) & reporters appear to be scared to ask the tough questions.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

Thomas was replaced, as well as injured, and even then if thomas was replaced it was mid season, he was not signed with the intent of being the back up.  As far as the 35 plus, some one said PC was on the radio talking about "doing the deal in time to not be a 35 plus"  I have never seen that but the speculation has always been that is why he signed him when he did.  But even if that is the case, that he did mis interpet things, I don't think it would have lead to his dismisal.  He resigned his starting goalie to a (at the time) cap friendly deal while the guy was in the middle of a vezina run, for a team running away in the standings.

Thomas's play was down last year, but he still finished 15th and 17th in the league in svs% and g.a.a.  So being paid 13th and posting those numbers is not grossly over paid.. He is being paid to be the starter, but also to provide insurance.. Goal tending was a revolving door here for a while and even if your not a thomas fan you have to appreciate that he did solidify that position. I believe management was trying to find another goalie the whole time he has been the starter and he always managed to hold on to that position and be the last guy here when the dust settles.. agreed?  I have stated I am not a thomas fan, but he gets a lot of criticism he does not deserve, he is has been a solid keep through out his tenure with boston and signing him was certainly better then any scenario I have seen so far.. (any scenario where rask comes in as the starter and we sign auld etc as a back up is just rediculous) he had played like 5 nhl games.

I do think thomas would have gotten his money else where, when you ask about a 4 year deal, I think teams with more room would have been ok shelling out 6 m for 3, but we didnt have that luxury, we eat one year, he gets paid the same..thats a manuevering piece, not really an issue there either.

Sections
Shortcuts