Good thing they traded Kessel

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Good thing they traded Kessel

Thank God they traded Kessel, this team has plenty of offensive punch.

Oh, by the way, where are all the people laughing at Kessel now that he has a 6 game point streak going?  Look, he would be second on the Bruins in points now, and in less games played.  Its funny now that the Bruins stink again, no one is laughing at how good the trade was for Boston.  Did you people ever think that even though Kessel is soft, he is a major threat that other teams defenses have to key on? Now that he is gone, it makes the rest of that line ineffective.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodtick7. Show woodtick7's posts

Re: Good thing they traded Kessel

Yea slick he would be the difference on this horrid under acheiving team just like he is in Toronto. He is performing at 2.2 mill a year prorated rate. He is real bargain. He may have scored a few goals but the way the d moves the puck and the way the other players have performed i highly doubt 1 person like Kessel would have made much of a difference. He may excite the fans a liitle but the bottom line is he also can be a coach killer, just ask Ron Wilson. Where we his goals in the 2-0 shutout by the Panthers. Plus his 6 game point you point out how many were goals.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Wait......earlier the knock on him by Bruins fans was that he didnt pass the puck enough....now that he passes the puck and has more assists, you ask where the goals are?  I cant stand fanboys....I am a Bruins fan, the difference is I am a realist as well.  Would he make the D do bettet? No, probably not.  However alot of dynamics change when you have a guy who causes every defender to pay attention to him, the bottom line is the Bruins dont have ANYONE who is like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

And his goals in the 2-0 game against the Panthers were int he same place that the goals were in the Bruins 5-1 loss to CAROLINA!
    Everyone knew this team would be challenged to score goals, so what do they do? let the best goal scorer they have had in 10 years walk for a draft pick.  As you well know, the Bruins havent drafted anyone worth anything other than Kessel n the first round since Thornton.....and they let him go too. You can get defensive if you want, the bottom line is this management and ownership make stupid moves and because of this I will not pay for another ticket to see a game.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Where are you getting your numbers from?
    He has 15 goals and 15 assists....you cant just put the numbers in that you want, while excluding the rest?
    Jacobite

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I dont know....in the last ten games he had more points than ANY Bruin player did....I wouldnt exactly call that a fizzle.
    Do you think he has fizzled lately as much as Krejci has?
    let me guess, you will say that Krejci is still dealing with off season hip surgery...dont go there....Kessel had off season shoulder surgery too.....try again

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Take it from a Leaf fan that has seen most of the games this year.

Kessel is a triggerman in need of a good center (like he had with Savard).  Despite that he has 30 points this season on a team void of much offensive talent.  He's a good piece that will be more important once the Leafs surround him better.  Kadri, their first pick from last year could fill that void next year.  Kessel has surprised me with some of his setups given most teams focus only on him as there is no one on the Leafs nearly as dangerous, especially off the shot.

Kessel at this point is NOT worth $5 million or the (2) 1st round draft picks that the Bruins acquired in the deal.  He is no where near the same tier as impact players like Crosby or Malkin.  He's only 22 so the Leafs are banking on him for the next 5 years but clearly they overpaid for him on a team that doesn't have the talent to fully utilize what kessel brings to the table.  Leafs were better off waiting this one out more after making the initial offer and forcing PC's hand.  Since Burke jumped the gun, PC wins this deal if they get a top 3 pick this year (regardless of what they get next year).

Bruins got a great deal for Kessel; depending on how well they draft and who they acquire.  However; what the Bruins underestimated was the lack of scoring that the team would endure without a pure triggerman.  Savard (even before the latest injury) was struggling because no one on this team can finish.  Kessel with Savard would have continued to produce ever increasing numbers and a legitimate 1st line which they do NOT have now. 

Having said all that; Kessel did not want to play for CJ for reasons that many on this forum have offered i.e. did not like back-checking; didn't like CJ"s defensive system.  Whatever the reason, he wanted out.

Can't blame PC for Kessel wanting to leave and you have to credit him with making a good deal for Kessel.  What you can blame PC for is NOT finding a replacement or partial replacement for the production that Kessel would have provided playing alongside Savard.  Bruins are suffering as a result.

Bruins lose on the deal for 2009-2010, but will come out ahead based on what the Leafs gave up and provided they draft well.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

LoveRealHockey Nice analysis!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

SlickSteve please shut up we will get 2 or 3 better players than Kessel with the draft picks we got from Toronto

Kiss him good bye ..Kessel is no longer a BRUINS therefore we dont give a f...about him

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deangee. Show deangee's posts

Chiarelli has made the following mistakes that will define his tenure here:
    1) Trading Chris Veestig to Chicago for a player i cannot remember, who is since gone.
    2) Trading for a 40+ year old in Recchi at the deadline last year and then resigning him for this year.
    3) Signing a 35 year old goaltender (Thomas) to a five year contract...ridiculous....he is a mediocre goalie....watch the tapes of the playoffs when the games mattered most.
    4) Trading Chuck Kobasow away for a prospect...who ?....ridiculous...why ?
    5) Signing Marc Savard (a streaky player) to a long term contract....Now we are stuck with this guy and his contract. Again watch the tapes of the playoffs when the games mattered most.
    6) Re-signing Sturm...he is always injured....and when he plays he disappears for stretches of time.

Chiarelli may make up for it with the draft picks from Toronto, if he as the chance to do so.
    But I question Chiarelli's talent evaluating.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

I love when the Die-Hards act like jilted lovers when it comes to former good Bruins players that were traded, believe me.  Having said that....CAN WE MOVE ON FROM THIS KESSEL NONSENSE???!!!! OH MY GOODNESS...PLEASE MOVE ON!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

StanleyCupNOTtotheBruins:
    Draft picks.......how have the Bruins done in the first round of the draft in the last decade?
    The Thornton and Kessel picks were good ones......where are they now?
    So you want draft picks that the team will turn around and trade in 3 years when the player wants to be paid like anyone else in the league?
    Keep drinking that Jacobs Kool Aid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

jtassinarisoccer Absolutely correct... Kessel is history. Now Chiarelli needs to reassess the future.  Someone on this forum stated that under the cap a team has roughly three years to rise to the top.  The Bruins seemed to be doing that most of last year.  Now the real issue is whether or not the team is built for the Stanley Cup or complete rebuilding.  Chiarelli is going to realize his tenure is fixed to those short term results. 

Sections
Shortcuts