Goodbye Lehtonen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Goodbye Lehtonen

Sorry Stanley, there goes one of your so called power forwards.

http://www.projo.com/pbruins/content/PBruins_Lehtonen_07-13-10_4TJ6DJ7_v2.12363f2.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Goodbye Lehtonen

The number of people responding to this thread speaks volumes about Lehtonen.

Bet there would be a lot more if Riendeau were let go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm tempted to pile on, but I'll be interested to check out his stats periodically and see if he's showing any kind of progress wherever he signs .  My guess is Chiarelli's not upset by Mikko's decision even if they did extend him a contract to keep his rights.  I'm sure PC will send a handbook to Murray saying how he wants the players deployed.

Lehtonen is pretty much expendable unless he can find a way to elevate his game, and you can probably assume that wasn't going to happen in Providence.  Besides, you know these guys will be given offensive roles if/when they're in Prov.:  Colborne, Sauve, Caron, Hamill, Marchand, and maybe Jamie Arniel.

You also know that Reich and Whitfield will get their fair share of ice because they've been successful two-way players in the AHL, and their presences will help stabilize the prospects.  That's 8 of your top 9 forwards, and I'm guessing LoVecchio and Knackstedt - 15 and 14 goals respectively last year - have the inside track on that other spot.  That leaves one of those two on the 4th line with Lane McDermid and Guilliaume Lefebvre (if he's back...is he back?).  This is the AHL, after all, so you will need someone there who can keep people from taking liberties with the kids.

Everyone's darling Riendeau will be back in the ECHL.  This is probably the end of Drew Larman and Levi Nelson.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, also noteworthy in this is that you can check off the final member of the Bruins' 2005 draft class.  Every last pick is now out of the organization one way or another.  Farther down on that story, you'll see more evidence of how poor the 2007 class has been as Goulet joins Reul and Ostracil on the scrap heap.  The Bruins drafted four defensemen in a row that year.  They've only drafted 3 D since, none in 2008, and only 1 higher than the 7th round.  If 2007 is any barometer, they should stick to trading for other team's slow-to-develop second rounders like Boychuk and McQuaid!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

More poor asset management by Chiarelli.  The player leads the minor league team in goal scoring for two seasons straight and Chiarelli fails to acquire anything for him.  A better GM might have had open lines of communication with his agent, matched the KHL offer and dealt the player for something/anything.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen:
    More poor asset management by Chiarelli.  The player leads the minor league team in goal scoring for two seasons straight and Chiarelli fails to acquire anything for him.  A better GM might have had open lines of communication with his agent, matched the KHL offer and dealt the player for something/anything.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Could also be the fact that he wanted to play in Russia. The whole story really wasn't given so who knows what his reasons were . In your scenario yes maybe PC could have gotten something for him but is the book closed on this guy playing for the B's or in the NHL further down the road ? I'm not familiar with how long they would own his rights for .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot

Dealt him for what? No NHL GM is going to surrender anything of worth of Lehtonen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Could also be the fact that he wanted to play in Russia. The whole story really wasn't given so who knows what his reasons were . In your scenario yes maybe PC could have gotten something for him but is the book closed on this guy playing for the B's or in the NHL further down the road ? I'm not familiar with how long they would own his rights for .
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Not to speak for Lehtonen, but his skill set and lack of physicality is much better suited for the KHL, it's closer to home, and he's most probably getting paid better. I don't blame him for going there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonfan4ever2010. Show Bostonfan4ever2010's posts

Oh, also noteworthy in this is that you can check off the final member of the Bruins' 2005 draft class.  Every last pick is now out of the organization one way or another.  Farther down on that story, you'll see more evidence of how poor the 2007 class has been as Goulet joins Reul and Ostracil on the scrap heap.  The Bruins drafted four defensemen in a row that year.  They've only drafted 3 D since, none in 2008, and only 1 higher than the 7th round.  If 2007 is any barometer, they should stick to trading for other team's slow-to-develop second rounders like Boychuk and McQuaid!
    Posted by Bookboy007

In watching the NHL draft the last couple of years it seems that there is a school of thought that it takes longer for D to develop and by the time they are NHL ready in a lot of cases they go to other teams.  Rutherford in Carolina for one openly espouses his thoughts on the subject.  This theory explains the drop of Fowler/Gormley and perhaps Chia's affinity for forwards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Dealt him for what? No NHL GM is going to surrender anything of worth of Lehtonen.
    Posted by duinne

That's probably exactly what PC was thinking when he sent a high scoring Providence player to Chicago for Bochenski.

It's not as if they'd be trying to swap Reich for an asset.  This kid can score, and has proven it.  There is no telling what another team's GM might give up for him.  A good GM gets returns.  A bad GM does not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

NAS,
    I wouldn't call it poor asset management, the bruins extended the Qualifying offer. They will retain lehtonens rights should he decide to return to the NHL at some point.  I believe if he goes over, he has to stay more then 2 years (to qualify as a defected player?) and if he does he can return as a UFA.  If he doesnt, I believe we have a 14 day period to again qualify him, and then retain his rights for another season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NAS, I wouldn't call it poor asset management, the bruins extended the Qualifying offer. They will retain lehtonens rights should he decide to return to the NHL at some point.  I believe if he goes over, he has to stay more then 2 years (to qualify as a defected player?) and if he does he can return as a UFA.  If he doesnt, I believe we have a 14 day period to again qualify him, and then retain his rights for another season.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

A player that has lead your minor league team in goal scoring for two years has left the country.  It's unknown why, but my best guess would be a lack of opportunity.  If I were him, I'd be thinking, "Seriously, what else do I have to do to earn a shot?"  Then the B's stick him with the qualifying offer, gluing him to Providence for at least the next year.

This player should have been traded.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Posted by Not-A-Shot
    I must agree NAS....... this is a horrible move and could set the bruins back years, LOL.
    And by the way, how do you know about there lines of communication???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : A player that has lead your minor league team in goal scoring for two years has left the country.  It's unknown why, but my best guess would be a lack of opportunity.  If I were him, I'd be thinking, "Seriously, what else do I have to do to earn a shot?"  Then the B's stick him with the qualifying offer, gluing him to Providence for at least the next year. This player should have been traded.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

While I can agree if he was not in the plans he should be moved, not sure they can protect against players fleeing to the KHL.. I mean, the bruins were thin at wing, and he was unable to crack the line up, what kind of return could they have gotten?  A conditional pick, with him signing a deal with his new team.. I believe they intended to sign him, but clearly at this point his interest was not as much about playing in the NHL as it should have been.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : A player that has lead your minor league team in goal scoring for two years has left the country.  It's unknown why, but my best guess would be a lack of opportunity.  If I were him, I'd be thinking, "Seriously, what else do I have to do to earn a shot?"  Then the B's stick him with the qualifying offer, gluing him to Providence for at least the next year. This player should have been traded.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

A player who leads a non-playoff AHL team, actually the 4th worst AHL team in scoring isn't exactly a prize NHL GM's are drooling over.  And watch the guy, he's a stiff.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

This just opens a spot (for a player) who actually has a chance at making the NHL

If they are not from canada first, or USA second,  they become a long shot.

Not always, but usually.

When it comes to hockey, North American is blood and guts. Eveybody after that comes with an if an and a maybe.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : While I can agree if he was not in the plans he should be moved, not sure they can protect against players fleeing to the KHL.. I mean, the bruins were thin at wing, and he was unable to crack the line up, what kind of return could they have gotten?  A conditional pick, with him signing a deal with his new team.. I believe they intended to sign him, but clearly at this point his interest was not as much about playing in the NHL as it should have been.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

A conditional pick is better than nothing. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : A conditional pick is better than nothing. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

But, assuming they had the intention of resigning him, and he was still potentially in their plans (have a good season and next year when ryder and sturm leave you can earn a spot if not we will look to move you some place where you will have that opportunity) what could they have done? 

Being extended a qualifying offer isnt a slap in the face, its a place holder that allows a team to maintain negoiating rights, on a player you still see value in, they did the same thing with stuart and he certainly is at a point where he is a known commodity by now.

He jumped ship, you can't really point that at PC.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

There's no question he should've been dealt for a late round pick or even an AHL tough guy we could bring up for emergencies like Matt Cooke. On the bright side it will open up some room for the young guys we're all sooo keen to get a look at and we just lost a chicken swede who dies in the playoffs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

I have been at the last few Bruins rookie camps and based on what I saw this time around, Mikko would have had a tough time cracking this (Bs) lineup. The B's have lots of depth at forward now and if the kid is "soft" he is going nowhere fast. At least they didnt just release him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

There's no question he should've been dealt for a late round pick or even an AHL tough guy we could bring up for emergencies like Matt Cooke. On the bright side it will open up some room for the young guys we're all sooo keen to get a look at and we just lost a chicken swede who dies in the playoffs.
    Posted by TheMightyJulien

Oooh, a chicken swede, you mean, like those stiffs Franzen, Holmstrom and Lidstrom? I'd give anything for a "chicken swede" like those guys.

And Lehtonen is Finnish, fyi. Guess you could call him a "chicken Finn" like Tuukka Rask, huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I just love that these comments are all in hindsight... And aside from stanley who hasnt posted, there are few who were arguing for Lehtonen to crack the line up with the big club....

If he had sign his QA, no one says anything.. He cut ties with the B's not the other way around.. This is a guy who probably wont amount to much as a pro, I understand protecting your assets, but he only has value if someone else wants him.. If there were teams looking for his services I am sure PC would have heard something at some point..

Chances are he could have been moved, but I believe the bruins intended to keep him and in doing so they following the normal proceedure.. Playing in the NHL or having a chance to was not important enough to him at this point. He and his agent could have easily expressed to the bruins that they would not sign the QA and request the team moved him if that was of any importance.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Oooh, a chicken swede, you mean, like those stiffs Franzen, Holmstrom and Lidstrom? I'd give anything for a "chicken swede" like those guys. And Lehtonen is Finnish, fyi. Guess you could call him a "chicken Finn" like Tuukka Rask, huh?
    Posted by duinne

there are a few good swedes around, but for the most part you can have em. and sorry about the finnish i get the two mixed up some time. and tuk is a goalie he doesn't count. Holmstrom is cashing in on the new NHL where any chicken swede can go right ahead and park himself in the slot without any repercussions. you can have him too.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

It is a proven fact, canadian  blood wins cups.

If you dare to argue this FACT, bring it on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : there are a few good swedes around, but for the most part you can have em. and sorry about the finnish i get the two mixed up some time. and tuk is a goalie he doesn't count. Holmstrom is cashing in on the new NHL where any chicken swede can go right ahead and park himself in the slot without any repercussions. you can have him too.
    Posted by TheMightyJulien

Um, OK.

ROFLMAO.

Sections
Shortcuts