Goodbye Lehtonen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Goodbye Lehtonen

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen:
    It is a proven fact, canadian  blood wins cups. If you dare to argue this FACT, bring it on.
    Posted by pauly1

Mmm kay.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=26215

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Mmm kay. http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=26215
    Posted by duinne
    I know....... way to bold. But it is what it is.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It is a proven fact, canadian  blood wins cups. If you dare to argue this FACT, bring it on.
    Posted by pauly1

It's also a proven fact that Canadian blood loses Cups, therefore the statement is nullified.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : It's also a proven fact that Canadian blood loses Cups, therefore the statement is nullified.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    Do the research, canadians dominate the league YES. But the teams that almost always win the cup are above the league average with canadian blood.
    Don't let this bother you, you still have your (swing and a miss)...... exciting stuff.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Do the research, canadians dominate the league YES. But the teams that almost always win the cup are above the league average with canadian blood. Don't let this bother you, still have your (swing and a miss)...... exciting stuff.
    Posted by pauly1

The league has more Canadians than any other nationality, so of course a team with a lot of Canadians is going to win the Cup.  But what about the other 29 teams, that also have more Canadians than other nationalities?

Seems to me, if one wins and 29 lose, then the theory (which is terribly flawed to being with) shows that teams with Canadian blood lose more often than they win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : The league has more Canadians than any other nationality, so of course a team with a lot of Canadians is going to win the Cup.  But what about the other 29 teams, that also have more Canadians than other nationalities? Seems to me, if one wins and 29 lose, then the theory (which is terribly flawed to being with) shows that teams with Canadian blood lose more often than they win.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot
    Read my last post a little closer. (take the blinders off}.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : A conditional pick is better than nothing. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

A prospect whose rights you continue to hold while he looks to improve his game in Russia is roughly as valuable as a conditional 6th round pick.  If anyone says they're interested, you can still trade his rights. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : Read my last post a little closer. (take the blinders off}.
    Posted by pauly1

You want to find some statistic to back that up? something thats going to show that the last 3 cup winners have had 90% canadien players whil league average is at 65%?  If not maybe you should as well, lots of important players on that chicago team who were not canadian..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

Canada is the best at hockey, everyone here knows it. unless they're french of course.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

There are more canadians playing hockey, that makes it a bigger pool.. Also doesn't really relate to the fact that the comment made was that stanely cups teams have higher then the nhl normal of canadian players on the team.

looking at chicago (i doubt they have an above average amount of canadian players)

Pittsburg and detriot.. Looks like that would be a really hard stat to back up...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

there are actually more americans and russians enrolled in minor hockey these days. and finland has about the same amount of kids playing as canada which is surprising because it is such a small country. Russia is the only other country in the hockey domination conversation and look what canada did to them in the olympics. None of this nonsense really belongs in this thread, i was just having a bit of fun with the "chicken swede" stuff and everyone got all bent outta shape.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Y'know, just when you're loving the fact that the NHL features more players from more countries than any other sports league in the world, along comes a xenophobic moron making stupid comments.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up the nationalities of players on the Red Wings roster when they won their last Stanley Cup (40 or more GP):

Six Swedes
    Six Canadians
    Three Americans
    Three Czechs
    One Finn
    One Russian

Playoff scoring leaders: 1. Zetterberg; 2. Datsyuk; 3. Franzen; 4. Kronwall; 5. Hudler; 6. Rafalski; 7. Samuelsson; 8. Lidstrom; 9. Holmstrom; 10. Filppula.

As a country, Canada undoubtedly can ice the best teams, because of the sheer number of people who grow up playing hockey. But individually, the brightest stars in the game are an extremely diverse bunch. The NHL would be a much poorer league if it didn't have players like Datsyuk, Ovechkin, the Sedins, Kane, Chara, Krejci or Rask in its ranks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

there are actually more americans and russians enrolled in minor hockey these days. and finland has about the same amount of kids playing as canada which is surprising because it is such a small country. Russia is the only other country in the hockey domination conversation and look what canada did to them in the olympics. None of this nonsense really belongs in this thread, i was just having a bit of fun with the "chicken swede" stuff and everyone got all bent outta shape.
    Posted by TheMightyJulien

I would still love to see even those facts but i will take your word, and no it wasn't that comment as much as the Canadien blood wins more cup proven fact, love to see you dispute it from someone else..

And det.. Case in point, is less then 50% of the players are canadian, while the league is still composed of over 50% canadian players.

Also You wouldn't through the USA in that mix? I mean know millar stood on his head, but they were in the game..

As far as the dismantling of russia, that wasnt a talent standpoint that canada won on, though defensively and goaltending they were better then russia, it was a systems and playing style that beat them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : I would still love to see even those facts but i will take your word, and no it wasn't that comment as much as the Canadien blood wins more cup proven fact, love to see you dispute it from someone else.. And det.. Case in point, is less then 50% of the players are canadian, while the league is still composed of over 50% canadian players. Also You wouldn't through the USA in that mix? I mean know millar stood on his head, but they were in the game.. As far as the dismantling of russia, that wasnt a talent standpoint that canada won on, though defensively and goaltending they were better then russia, it was a systems and playing style that beat them.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Why take his word? Google is a wonderful tool.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_ice_hoc_num_of_reg_pla_pla-ice-hockey-number-registered-players

And for another thing, Canada has a population of 33 million. Finland's is 5 million. To assert they have the same number of kids playing hockey is patently absurd.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

nice job picking out the freak year.

06/07 Anaheim
         18 North Americans Vs. 3 Euro
    08/09 Pittsburgh
         15 North Americans Vs. 5 Euro
    09/10 Chicago
         18 North Americans Vs. 4 Euro

these are players playing at least 40 games for the cup champ. i even included gonchar for the penguins even though he only played 25 games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ed-PBruins-Fan. Show Ed-PBruins-Fan's posts

No great loss losing Lehtonen. As a P-B's season ticket holder, seen enough of him and the first thing that comes to mind is when he is trying to rush, no matter what attempt of a move he makes, the D-men on the other team always take the puck off him. He's got no moves. He can score if he's in the right spot and someone can get him the puck but in my opinion, time to let go.....they all don't work out. All you Zach Hamiil fans, wish Mikko had taken him with him. There's another bust but we'll save that for another post

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Julien,
    do some home work..the freak year? Detriot?? They have always been a european team, its not like they one one cup and it was a freak chance.. seriously

also again.. north american verses canadian for these teams, verse the rest of the league..

what was the league average of canadiam players that year?  I mean chicago won this year, with mostly canadians, and Edmonton had the worst record in the league, also with mostly canadians.. see a trend?

The quote was that to win a cup you need an above average number of canadien players..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheMightyJulien. Show TheMightyJulien's posts

detroit won all the other cups with that great european captain Steve Yzerman and his russian pal Brendan Shanahan leading the way.I think you almost always need strong canadian leadership to win a cup but only because the stanley cup is more important to canadian players and International events usually mean more to European players. I don't hate all european players, i just prefer an agressive bruins team as opposed to a finesse one, that's why i'm not upset to see Lehtonen ( a guy who is known to die in the AHL playoffs) go. let's drop this foolishness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

detroit won all the other cups with that great european captain Steve Yzerman and his russian pal Brendan Shanahan leading the way.I think you almost always need strong canadian leadership to win a cup but only because the stanley cup is more important to canadian players and International events usually mean more to European players. I don't hate all european players, i just prefer an agressive bruins team as opposed to a finesse one, that's why i'm not upset to see Lehtonen ( a guy who is known to die in the AHL playoffs) go. let's drop this foolishness.

Some might say Lidstrom and Hasek were slightly important to a Detroit Cup at one time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

so federov, larionov, linstrom, fetisov, konstantinov, holmstrom, kozlov, zetterberg dyatsuk??

Yzerman is my favorite player, but he hardly did it alone.. and again, these teams are not made of an above average amount of canadian born players, your not even arguing the right points, it comes across stupid..

The point made by another poster was to win cups you need an above average amount of canadian players.. unless you are going to counter that with something intelligent just stop.. I havent said most players weren't canadian, or canadian players weren't good.. provide a stat that says most nhl teams have a roster made up of 50% canadian players but your typical cup team has 75% of canadian players, or just stop cause you have yet to prove anything other then being wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Goodbye Lehtonen : so federov, larionov, linstrom, fetisov, konstantinov, holmstrom, kozlov, zetterberg dyatsuk?? Yzerman is my favorite player, but he hardly did it alone.. and again, these teams are not made of an above average amount of canadian born players, your not even arguing the right points, it comes across stupid.. The point made by another poster was to win cups you need an above average amount of canadian players.. unless you are going to counter that with something intelligent just stop.. I havent said most players weren't canadian, or canadian players weren't good.. provide a stat that says most nhl teams have a roster made up of 50% canadian players but your typical cup team has 75% of canadian players, or just stop cause you have yet to prove anything other then being wrong.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

Meh, we're arguing with a guy who doesn't know the difference between a Finn and a Swede and says Finland and Canada have the same number of kids playing hockey. He's right, might as well drop the discussion.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Chowdahkid.......OH MY GOD . ! ! ! I didnt need such a bad news today .....really sad...this guy will eventually come back in the NHL no question about it ...

Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Chowdahkid.......OH MY GOD . ! ! ! I didnt need such a bad news today .....really sad...this guy will eventually come back in the NHL no question about it ... Stanley Cup to the Bruins in 2011-2012-2013 (only if Big Wheel stays)
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Stanley, now you're going to have to buy a KHL team sweater with Lehtonen on the back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, let's pause for a moment before this goes all Predators.  It is deep in the heart of summer when the release of a 2005 third round pick, a player whose game is supposed to be goal-scoring but who couldn't get a call up to the lowest scoring team in the league, invokes 50+ threads and the use of the word xenophobia.

It's worth remembering that the Bruins retain his rights, but it's even more important to remember that the last few times the Bruins have traded the leading scorer in Providence, all they've gotten back has been another AHL scorer who cannot contribute in the NHL (think Pelletier for St. Pierre, for example).  You don't get picks back for an AHL 20-30 goal scorer, you get other people's AHL projects.  At best.  So sometimes you cut bait, right?  Sometimes you say "I only have 6 AHL roster spots for legitimate offensive prospects, and rather than stick Lehtonen or someone like Lehtonen there, let him play in the K.  If he finds himself and wants to come back, great.  If not, bye."

NAS brought up the example of Versteeg, but that's a little different.  Chiarelli was shopping for a specific asset having seen Bochenski score 8 goals in the preseason with the Senators the year before.  He was taking a flyer that Bochenski could show that form again - bad bet.  He paid what he thought would be a fair price in terms of risk reward. Unlike Lehtonen, Versteeg didn't have three or four seasons of AHL experience at the time.  Different transaction entirely.

A last thought - you can only have 50 contracts.  I'm not sure I'd waste one on Lehtonen at the moment.  The K might be a favour in that he remains Bruin "property" but he doesn't have a contract, and he's playing hockey above the Central Hockey League.

Which reminds me - anyone else catch Fluto's truly amateurish mistake in calling the CHL - the national governing body for Major Junior Hockey in Canada - the Central Hockey League?  Brutal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Okay, let's pause for a moment before this goes all Predators .  It is deep in the heart of summer when the release of a 2005 third round pick, a player whose game is supposed to be goal-scoring but who couldn't get a call up to the lowest scoring team in the league, invokes 50+ threads and the use of the word xenophobia. It's worth remembering that the Bruins retain his rights, but it's even more important to remember that the last few times the Bruins have traded the leading scorer in Providence, all they've gotten back has been another AHL scorer who cannot contribute in the NHL (think Pelletier for St. Pierre, for example).  You don't get picks back for an AHL 20-30 goal scorer, you get other people's AHL projects.  At best.  So sometimes you cut bait, right?  Sometimes you say "I only have 6 AHL roster spots for legitimate offensive prospects, and rather than stick Lehtonen or someone like Lehtonen there, let him play in the K.  If he finds himself and wants to come back, great.  If not, bye." NAS brought up the example of Versteeg, but that's a little different.  Chiarelli was shopping for a specific asset having seen Bochenski score 8 goals in the preseason with the Senators the year before.  He was taking a flyer that Bochenski could show that form again - bad bet.  He paid what he thought would be a fair price in terms of risk reward. Unlike Lehtonen, Versteeg didn't have three or four seasons of AHL experience at the time.  Different transaction entirely. A last thought - you can only have 50 contracts.  I'm not sure I'd waste one on Lehtonen at the moment.  The K might be a favour in that he remains Bruin "property" but he doesn't have a contract, and he's playing hockey above the Central Hockey League. Which reminds me - anyone else catch Fluto's truly amateurish mistake in calling the CHL - the national governing body for Major Junior Hockey in Canada - the Central Hockey League?  Brutal.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Some people just have an agenda to condemn PC and that's that.

People mention the Versteeg thing like it was the worst trade in history, but facts is facts.  AT THE TIME - that 6 months after the trade it looked like a steal for the Bruins, Bochenski had 11 goals and 11 assists in 31 games - that projects out to nearly a 30 goal scorer if it were 82 games for him.  And Versteeg had not even played 1 NHL game in that time.  Versteeg has had 22 goals as his career high. 

Then they felt that Bochenski needed to bulk up and he went on a weight training program that put something like 15 lbs. on him.  That slowed him down to snail's pace and that ruined him.  That's when things went south - and bad.

You can condemn PC for all kinds of things, but the Bochenski trade was just one of those things that happened.  And how many of you have seen Lehtonen play?  He's a total stiff, he's got cement blocks for hands.  Way way more worth it to gamble and sign some guy who might have potential than to sign a guy you KNOW who doesn't have it.

Get real.  There are legit complaints, lots of them, hang your hat on the TT and Ference contracts for example, this "move" (and its not even a "move") isn't one of them. 

Sections
Shortcuts