Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev

Got to watch these three draft prospects last night in the Moncton - St John's game. Came away very impressed with Gormley and Kabanov. Galiev showed glimpses of his ability but was not as impressive as the other two. Gormley looks ready to step in now and has a good two way game . Also looks strong. Kabanov has great skills and was involved physically trying to retrieve the puck. His skating style is more upright (like a Jeff Carter) but just when it looks like he's not skating very fast he blows by someone. Galiev's a little smaller than the other two but with good puck skills and a speedster. Overall wouldn't be surprised to see Gormley go any where between 4-6 and Kabanov top 10. Galiev mid to late first. Just my couch potato opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Re: Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev

I'll have to check that game out today, thanks dusty.  Yea, Kirill's got elusive speed.  I thought his stride looked alot like Jagr's and his hands like Kovalchuk.  Galiev could be another Parise.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

In Response to Re: Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev:
    I'll have to check that game out today, thanks dusty.  Yea, Kirill's got elusive speed.  I thought his stride looked alot like Jagr's and his hands like Kovalchuk.  Galiev could be another Parise.
    Posted by bim09

Kabanov also plays with emotion which was nice to see. Liked him quite a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the 3rd or 4th forward taken in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev : Kabanov also plays with emotion which was nice to see. Liked him quite a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the 3rd or 4th forward taken in the draft.
    Posted by dustyisacat

Although skilled, Kabanov appears to have a bit of an attitiude... been in the dog house a bit.(late for practice, missing team bus)
    Think he'll be a bit of a project.  Feel there's a fair bit of fall off after those top 3 picks.
    Nice to see the Islanders win yesterday. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Bruins draft
    Kabanov Galiev and Burmistrov and form the Russian KGB line only to see them play in the KHL.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

No4BobbyOrr. That's the best joke I've seen in a long time. And it's not that far fetched.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notex. Show Notex's posts

In Response to Re: Gormley, Kabanov and Galiev : Although skilled, Kabanov appears to have a bit of an attitiude... been in the dog house a bit.(late for practice, missing team bus) Think he'll be a bit of a project.  Feel there's a fair bit of fall off after those top 3 picks. Nice to see the Islanders win yesterday. 
    Posted by stevegm

No thanks on Kabanov...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

I highly doubt Kabanov goes back to Russia any time soon. He's not a typical Russian in it for the money, and he ruffled a lot of feathers in order to come over here. 
    In his first two pro contracts he put in an escape clause for when he wanted to go to the NHL. On the second contract they revoked his right and sold his rights to another team. That team wouldn't allow him to put the clause in, so he left for America. After fighting with the KHL and presenting his cause to the International Ice Hockey Federation he was allowed to play for Moncton. 
    Doesn't sound like a guy who's going to play in the KHL any time soon.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Oh and as for the game yesterday I agree with dusty, Gormley and Kabanov played quite well yesterday. Kabanov made a great scoring chance after making a sick deke and completely burning a Saint Johns player. If Toronto keeps winning and we end up with the 4th or 5th pick I wouldn't mind choosing Gormley, and if he's around at our first rounder I'd take Kabanov, maybe even willing to trade up a pick or two to draft him. If Kabanov isn't available at our pick I wouldn't mind us taking John Macfarland, depending on who else is available. I'd like to get Etem or Skinner but they may go before us if we do well enough. Macfarland has huge potential, if he reached his potential he could end up being the best player from the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    Bruins draft Kabanov Galiev and Burmistrov and form the Russian KGB line only to see them play in the KHL.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Your punchline would have more punch if all 3 were playing in Russia, currently.  See, the thing is, there hasn't been a Russian 1st rounder, drafted from NA, to ever play in the KHL since Alexeev (TBL) was drafted in 2000.
    Ivan Vishnevskiy
    Dmitry Kulikov

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Your punchline would have more punch if all 3 were playing in Russia, currently.  See, the thing is, there hasn't been a Russian 1st rounder, drafted in NA, to ever play in the KHL since Alexeev (TBL) was drafted in 2000. Ivan Vishnevskiy Dmitry Kulikov
    Posted by bim09

But since the lack of a transfer agreement there have been very few russians drafted in the first round, and Chereponov was indeed playing in the KHL.. If they are NHL ready I don't think you will see a problem, its getting the kids to come over, to play for less in the AHL that teams are worried about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Filitov went back to the KHL as well...and there wasn't a single russian drafted in the first round last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Kulikov was,but the point is valid regardless. Russians are a bit of a question mark but guys like Kabanov are trying to shed that stereotype.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Yeah, I saw that, over looked it since he was already playing in the QMJHL at the time.

I still think it falls down to are the guys going to be nhl ready??  Cause if they aren't I think the AHL verse the KHL is where that temptation slips in..Filitov for instance scares me as his reasoning for heading the the KHL is a defactor for exactly why Julien would be a bad coach for a kid in a similar position.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Yeah, I saw that, over looked it since he was already playing in the QMJHL at the time. I still think it falls down to are the guys going to be nhl ready??  Cause if they aren't I think the AHL verse the KHL is where that temptation slips in..Filitov for instance scares me as his reasoning for heading the the KHL is a defactor for exactly why Julien would be a bad coach for a kid in a similar position.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

well put.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Filitov for instance scares me as his reasoning for heading the the KHL is a defactor for exactly why Julien would be a bad coach for a kid in a similar position.
    Posted by rolerhoky19

A kid in a $imilar po$ition would currently be playing in the KHL.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Bim,
    Just thinking, hitchcock is defense first, I think Filitov is a top 6 forward on alot of teams, he was playing 3/4 line 8 minutes a game in columbus, if he was in boston we'd be looking at the same thing..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I think Filitov figured, why play 10 min a game for penny's, when I used to get 5x that in Russia and play top-6 minutes.

Kabanov lives in Canada, plays the NA game and will be drafted a NA player.  Filitov took the ea$y road in, and the ea$y road out.  The only thing these 2 have in common is birthplace.

Kabanov is, no doubt, a 3rd-4th liner in the NHL, but I'd put him out there over any of our players for the PP.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I think Filitov figured, why play 10 min a game for penny's, when I used to get 5x that in Russia and play top-6 minutes. Kabanov lives in Canada, plays the NA game and will be drafted a NA player.  Filitov took the ea$y road in, and the ea$y road out.  The only thing they have in common is birthplace. Kabanov is, no doubt, a 3rd-4th liner in the NHL, but I'd put him out there over any of our players for the PP.
    Posted by bim09

I am thinking it was the 10 minutes, not the money.. Which is what i am questioning, I mean kessel played 12? for the bruins plays 20 for toronto etc..I think sobotka might show more with more minutes, etc..

I am not knocking the kid or saying not to take him, just wondering if any young offense first guys wil get minutes and be happy under julien..

Sections
Shortcuts