growing up with orr!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from orrcheevers-cup. Show orrcheevers-cup's posts

growing up with orr!

Only now do i realize how blessed i was to grow up watching orr espo cheevers and a cast of REAL HOCKEY PLAYERS bring home the CUP!!  TWICE!!  ID HATE TO HAVE THE CHILD HOOD MEMORIES THIS GROUP (NOT TEAM)  INSPIRES.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seadoggy. Show seadoggy's posts

Re: growing up with orr!

Totally agree orrcheevers-cup,

I was 11 when they won the 1st cup. Orr was the greatest to ever lace them up. I have an autographed picture of him when he was a rookie that I got when he came to Framingham for a clinic. He single handedly revolutionized the game he could score and then drop the gloves with the best of them.

Gerry Cheevers- The original roamer he was a forward in a goalie uniform. I raan into him in a bar, Piggy's in Provincetwon he was with Johnny "Pie" Mckenzie

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NU-Griff. Show NU-Griff's posts

Do us all a favor and just stop watching if all you can do is sit there and hold on to a different age/style/strategy as opposed to the way the game is now.   The Bruins lace their skates as tightly as any team in this league on any given night.  Why don't you go be old and bitter somewhere else and please dont stand and cheer when the team has success, no one wants to hear you anyways.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Turk16. Show Turk16's posts

In Response to Re: growing up with orr!:
    [QUOTE]Do us all a favor and just stop watching if all you can do is sit there and hold on to a different age/style/strategy as opposed to the way the game is now.   The Bruins lace their skates as tightly as any team in this league on any given night.  Why don't you go be old and bitter somewhere else and please dont stand and cheer when the team has success, no one wants to hear you anyways.
    Posted by NU-Griff[/QUOTE]

This is the most classless post I have ever read. I think most B's fans want everyones opinion, not just the garbage you spew! Go have your 2nd beer and tell everyone how drunk and tough you are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueChip99. Show BlueChip99's posts

In Response to Re: growing up with orr!:
    [QUOTE]Do us all a favor and just stop watching if all you can do is sit there and hold on to a different age/style/strategy as opposed to the way the game is now.   The Bruins lace their skates as tightly as any team in this league on any given night.  Why don't you go be old and bitter somewhere else and please dont stand and cheer when the team has success, no one wants to hear you anyways.
    Posted by NU-Griff[/QUOTE]
    I have a gift for you NU-Griff.
    "Nice Parachute, never Opened, used once. Slightly Stained"
    To sell ( Classified Ads )

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NU-Griff. Show NU-Griff's posts

Oh yes, calling a the bruins a group because you refuse to call them a team really screams class.  The idiot who made this post is the exact guy who says he has "given up on watching the Bruins and wont watch until Jacobs is gone", yet most likely clear his schedule and was glued to the TV during the playoffs last year.

I don't care what you think anyways Turk.  You probably wouldnt be able to finish your first.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from anthony3063. Show anthony3063's posts

I think this is a great post! Bobby Orr is the GREATEST hockey player EVER , and those were indeed very very special times that I will cherish forever!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

And I grew up watching Orr.

(good) Orr was the best player to have ever skated, #1 in my book far past whatsisname who played for Edmonton. 

(bad) The players were slower then, they were smaller.  The equipment weighed 4,000 lbs. when it got wet and consequently guys stood around pounding on one another, especially in the corners.

(good) Jacobs wasn't the owner.

(bad) coaching and studying the game was extremely rate around here in MA.  Neither my high school freshman nor my jv coach could skate.  The varsity coach played for U Lowell and dropped out.  It was disgraceful.

(good) you got every game for free thanks to wsbk channel 38.

(bad) they didn't invent the words "out of market game" back then.

And you know what?  I could go on and on and on like this forever.  There was good then.  There was bad then.  It wasn't all bad.  It wasn't all good.

Face it, all in all, all things work out the same.  True, we will never see another Bobby Orr, but we will never see Steve Kaspar or Dave Lewis coach this team again - and those are good things.

The "good old days" never existed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to growing up with orr!:
    [QUOTE]Only now do i realize how blessed i was to grow up watching orr espo cheevers and a cast of REAL HOCKEY PLAYERS bring home the CUP!!  TWICE!!  ID HATE TO HAVE THE CHILD HOOD MEMORIES THIS GROUP (NOT TEAM)  INSPIRES.
    Posted by orrcheevers-cup[/QUOTE]

This is pretty funny.

Orr was a great hockey player, the greatest no doubt, but if you think "real hockey players" existed then and not now, you're deluding yourself. Guys like Esposito and Sanderson would readily admit they would never be able to keep up with guys on the ice today. They used to come to training camp to "get in shape" - guys today take maybe two weeks off before they're back to working out like fiends. These are the best-conditioned athletes in the world. I just loved the picture of Fred Cusick interviewing some of the Bruins in the early '70s; they have bodies that look like beer leaguers. Heck, back then, they used to smoke in the locker room, and the only weights they lifted were 16 ounces at a time.

You should also bear in mind that Bobby Orr didn't come to Boston and deliver an instant Stanley Cup; it took him several years. The Bruins worked their way up from the basement to Stanley Cup winner over a three-four-year period as they added critical parts (most notably, Esposito, Hodge, Sanfield and Sanderson).

You can see a parellel in the Bruins today as they've gone from close to the cellar to contender in the space of three years, and added critical parts such as Krejci and Lucic to a foundation set up by Savard and Chara. The lone difference is that this team is relying more on youth than the team of the '70s, but in a salary cap world, that's the way the NHL is trending.  

Bottom line with this team is that it is rare in the extreme for a hockey team to go from out of the playoffs, to making the playoffs, to winning the Stanley Cup, in progressive years. Winning the Cup takes not only talent, hard work and good health; experience is critical, probably more than in any other sport. It's no coincidence that the Penguins capped their own slog from the bottom to the top by winning the Cup in their second trip to the finals.  

At any rate, I hate comparing the present to the past. This is a good team, a young team, and one that I enjoy watching. You can waste a lot of your life in the now by living in the then.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Ha, when as a kid I went to MSG to see the Rangers play ($2 ticket for SRO), I would hang around with my buddies to get autographs after the game, outside the locker room door.  The players would come out with a cig dangling , or taking a good deep drag as they signed our programs (picked up after the game...we would never buy one).