Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

Here is the link:
    http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2787212

Not sure how this might affect his status going into next year, but my guess is that Florida will flinch and pony up eventually.

Can't let a blue-chip like Gudbranson get away.

On the other hand, not sure this was a bright move for Gudbranson either as it came down to performance bonus money.

Interesting to watch this play out....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

But... but... Dale Tallon is a genius!!! Isn't he?

McKenzie tweeted about this yesterday and said it was because of the bonus money, which seems exceedingly odd considering the kid's had a good camp,  was the #3 pick, and the Panthers aren't exactly having cap trouble (they're $9.7 million under, according to capgeek). Not to say that they can't use him either. 

I can't blame Gudbranson for not signing if they denied him the bonus money. There appears to be no reason for doing so, and for him (as opposed to the club), that's a decent amount of money.

He won't get away, though. They still own his rights for a couple more years. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

"But... but... Dale Tallon is a genius!!! Isn't he?" Miller where are you LoL!

Well Tallon has to toe the small market, small budget team payroll doesn't he ? It opens it up for PC doesn't it but something tells me that all the teams that passed on Wheeler won't pass on Gudbranson if he remains unsigned. PC even readily admits that when other teams passed on Blake he couldn't believe it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

But... but... Dale Tallon is a genius!!! Isn't he?

What the ...   I really don't get why they didn't sign him.  Are they trying to be the worst team in the league so that theyget a high pick? 

And - since the bonuses were the issue, it says to me that they were afraid that he was going to hit all his bonuses.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Here, let me get it started....
    RYDER FOR GUDBRANSON!
    RYDER FOR GUDBRANSON!
    :P

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked:
    Here, let me get it started.... RYDER FOR GUDBRANSON! RYDER FOR GUDBRANSON! :P
    Posted by WalkTheLine

How about Ryder,Hunwick and Bartkowski?I'd make this deal in a heartbeat.Unfortunately Florida likely wouldn't.I'd even switch Bartkowski for Leaf #1 next year.Make it happen PC.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I totally agree with concept of floating Hunwick in a package for Gudbranson.  It's worth a shot.  I can't believe he didn't make the team and don't know what Tallon is thinking.  I thought he looked terrific in the preseason, but if Tallon sent him to junior than you would think they don't value him quite so highly and perhaps a trade is possible... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Thanks LRH for this article.
    I saw Gudbranson play a couple of games and he is NHL ready. There are two sides of a coin and I'm sure this is not the last we've heard of this story but if fingers point in the direction of Tallon not wanting to give bonus dollars... ouch !
    Gudbranson will be a very good D for years to come.  Tallon will start getting offers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

How about the Bruins #1 in 2011 and Hunwick for Gudbranson?  I'd rather keep the Leafs #1 than the Bruins...

Leave Ryder out of it.  If they wouldn't pay Gudbranson bonuses, they sure as heck won't want Ryder's 4 million.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Bruins #1 in 2011, Hunwick and Hamel.

(<--ducks as the tomatos start hurling his way..).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mike6724. Show mike6724's posts

Perhaps since he knows the team is going to be awful he doesnt want to waste one of entry level years when there is no chance they will do anything anyways.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

They would want Spooner.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked:
    They would want Spooner.
    Posted by bim09

Why would Spooner be the target?  A 3rd round pick for #3 overall?  I'm guessing they want a lot more than that.  I'd give them Spooner for Gudbranson in a heartbeat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I was being facetious....Gudbranson is NOT coming to Boston! Sheeesh!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I was being facetious....Gudbranson is NOT coming to Boston! Sheeesh!
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Well obviously not for Ryder, but you don't think there is any chance Florida would trade him (given that they cannot agree on terms and he's going back to junior)?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

Wow big mis-step by the Florida management here. Gudbranson must be looking at Hall and Seguin and going "WT.F fck you florida". Id say it wouldnt be completely ridiculous to offer up Hunwick/Prospect/high Pick for him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked : Well obviously not for Ryder, but you don't think there is any chance Florida would trade him (given that they cannot agree on terms and he's going back to junior)?
    Posted by Fletcher1

I suppose there is a remote possibility but only if FLA was willing to trade him which I don't think they are.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I would love for PC to go after Gudbranson. We'd be in incredible shape long-term if he came into the fold. That being said, I doubt even with this contract negotiation that FLA will let him go. But, for fun, I'd offer BOS 1st, Hunwick, Sauve, and Hamill.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree it's a remote possibility, but man, I hope Chia is at least making the offers.  I'd love to have that kid come here and would offer Hunwick, Knight, and a #1 to make it happen...

SeguinMyTime, I'd like to congratulate you on the coolest profile pic I have seen yet, hands down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I agree it's a remote possibility, but man, I hope Chia is at least making the offers.  I'd love to have that kid come here and would offer Hunwick, Knight, and a #1 to make it happen... SeguinMyTime, I'd like to congratulate you on the coolest profile pic I have seen yet, hands down.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I don't know what it would take but PC should have already made that call.

And SeguinMyTime does have a great profile pic. Oglethorpe!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

SeguinMyTime is changing his pic to an active "DR. Hook"  Michael Cammalleri. Wink
    Just joking just joking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

There's no story here, and (god help me) I think this is a decent move by Tallon.

They have Gudbranson's rights until July 1, 2012.  There's no pressure to move him before they lose him, so I wouldn't waste the cost of a long-distance call on making a Hunwick-based offer.

Conventional wisdom right now is that defenseman don't develop as quickly as forwards - that's the usual explanation for why Fowler and Gormley dropped.  Tallon stepped up for the best of the three, but now he may be looking at players like Luke Schenn.  Schenn was a hero for a while, got ground down, lost confidence, and only started to look like a quality player again by the end of last year.  If you think that's the arc your player would take, maybe you aren't so concerned about playing him in the NHL as an 18yr old on team that will struggle.  As an added bonus, as the new guy (mike....) points out, the calendar on his EL contract will start when he's as much as two years older and more mature physically.  Maybe by then Florida won't be picking top 5 every year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

There's no story here, and (god help me) I think this is a decent move by Tallon. They have Gudbranson's rights until July 1, 2012.  There's no pressure to move him before they lose him, so I wouldn't waste the cost of a long-distance call on making a Hunwick-based offer. Conventional wisdom right now is that defenseman don't develop as quickly as forwards - that's the usual explanation for why Fowler and Gormley dropped.  Tallon stepped up for the best of the three, but now he may be looking at players like Luke Schenn.  Schenn was a hero for a while, got ground down, lost confidence, and only started to look like a quality player again by the end of last year.  If you think that's the arc your player would take, maybe you aren't so concerned about playing him in the NHL as an 18yr old on team that will struggle.  As an added bonus, as the new guy (mike....) points out, the calendar on his EL contract will start when he's as much as two years older and more mature physically.  Maybe by then Florida won't be picking top 5 every year.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Very good points Book. As usual.

But if I'm PC, I make the call anyway. It doesn't hurt to have a conversation with a fellow GM.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

SeguinMyTime is changing his pic to an active "DR. Hook"  Michael Cammalleri. Just joking just joking.
    Posted by BsLegion

Tempting the wrath of the mighty RMiller IQ87? You, my friend, are a brave, brave man! lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Conventional wisdom right now is that defenseman don't develop as quickly as forwards - that's the usual explanation for why Fowler and Gormley dropped. 
    Posted by Bookboy007

That reminds me of an interview with Bourque I heard a few years back.  He said it can take up to six years for a young defenseman to fully reach their potential.

Sections
Shortcuts