Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked:
    [QUOTE]There's no story here, and (god help me) I think this is a decent move by Tallon. They have Gudbranson's rights until July 1, 2012.  There's no pressure to move him before they lose him, so I wouldn't waste the cost of a long-distance call on making a Hunwick-based offer. Conventional wisdom right now is that defenseman don't develop as quickly as forwards - that's the usual explanation for why Fowler and Gormley dropped.  Tallon stepped up for the best of the three, but now he may be looking at players like Luke Schenn.  Schenn was a hero for a while, got ground down, lost confidence, and only started to look like a quality player again by the end of last year.  If you think that's the arc your player would take, maybe you aren't so concerned about playing him in the NHL as an 18yr old on team that will struggle.  As an added bonus, as the new guy (mike....) points out, the calendar on his EL contract will start when he's as much as two years older and more mature physically.  Maybe by then Florida won't be picking top 5 every year.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

All good points and I agree with the entry level contract strategy.  But given that he was drafted #3 overall I have to think that Tallon expected him to play right away.  Recent guys drafted in that area (Doughty, Bogosian, E. Johnson) were able to step right in pretty effectively.  I don't think the 5-6 years of development applies to top 5 overall picks.  All that leads me to optimistically hope that Tallon may be frustrated enough to take an NHL-ready defensemen (Hunwick), a good prospect, and another first round pick next year into consideration.  A long shot I know, but I'm reacting to my genuine surprise that Gudbranson would be sent down.  Seems very strange.  I can't imagine that this was really the plan when Tallon drafted him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked

In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked : All good points and I agree with the entry level contract strategy.  But given that he was drafted #3 overall I have to think that Tallon expected him to play right away.  Recent guys drafted in that area (Doughty, Bogosian, E. Johnson) were able to step right in pretty effectively.  I don't think the 5-6 years of development applies to top 5 overall picks.  All that leads me to optimistically hope that Tallon may be frustrated enough to take an NHL-ready defensemen (Hunwick), a good prospect, and another first round pick next year into consideration.  A long shot I know, but I'm reacting to my genuine surprise that Gudbranson would be sent down.  Seems very strange.  I can't imagine that this was really the plan when Tallon drafted him.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    It wouldn't bother me if PC offered Hunwick,Ryder and both of our first round picks(only because the Bruins are reasonably deep on the farm right now)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeguinMyTime. Show SeguinMyTime's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked : It wouldn't bother me if PC offered Hunwick,Ryder and both of our first round picks(only because the Bruins are reasonably deep on the farm right now)
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

2 Roster players, and 2 firsts(one thats likely a top10) for a single untested first who was just sent down? Sounds like a bit much too me.

Thank you guys for the compliments. But who's is McCraken or Oglethorp? Thats me in real life.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked : 2 Roster players, and 2 firsts(one thats likely a top10) for a single untested first who was just sent down? Sounds like a bit much too me. Thank you guys for the compliments. But who's is McCraken or Oglethorp? Thats me in real life.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]
    It is alot but there may not be a better D available next year,Ryder would be a salary dump,and Hunwick would be replaced by Gudbranson(tough as nails 2-way player).Let's win now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I dont see Tallon entertaining offers for him unless there outstanding, and then he will wait until at least xmas or January to see where his club is going, or for that matter where there not going. If the Bs did get in a position to deal for him, it would cost at least the Toronto 1st pick in the 2011 draft, likely there own pick and a prospect. Florida will not want a roster player unless there in it to make the playoffs and then that roster player or 2 comes in play.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I dont see Tallon entertaining offers for him unless there outstanding, and then he will wait until at least xmas or January to see where his club is going, or for that matter where there not going. If the Bs did get in a position to deal for him, it would cost at least the Toronto 1st pick in the 2011 draft, likely there own pick and a prospect. Florida will not want a roster player unless there in it to make the playoffs and then that roster player or 2 comes in play.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]
    Ryder,Hunwick and 2 first rounders would be a pretty outstanding offer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Gudbranson doesn't come to terms with Florida Panthers and returns to Kingston (OHL). I'm a bit shocked : 2 Roster players, and 2 firsts(one thats likely a top10) for a single untested first who was just sent down? Sounds like a bit much too me. Thank you guys for the compliments. But who's is McCraken or Oglethorp? Thats me in real life.
    Posted by SeguinMyTime[/QUOTE]

My bad...I went with you being a dead ringer for Ogie Oglethorpe but it's "Dr. Hook" McCracken you look like. Um....good lookin' dude. Yeah, uh, gotta go.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

For anyone who knows about hockey well, how long can Gudbranson hold out before he becomes a FA??

Does he becomes a RFA after three years (with the team signed or not)? then if nobody signs him in that year he becomes UFA the year after?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I would offer Bartowski (again as i don't think Tallon knew he was NHL calibre this soon), Kampfer, Hamill or Colborne and 2 first round picks next year

With Gudbranson i wouldn't resign Chara

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

[QUOTE]For anyone who knows about hockey well, how long can Gudbranson hold out before he becomes a FA?? Does he becomes a RFA after three years (with the team signed or not)? then if nobody signs him in that year he becomes UFA the year after?
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]
       With a junior player like Gudbranson, a team has 2 years to sign him.
    After that, the player would go back into the draft.
    Gudbranson isn't going anywhere. Tallon wants this team to get the #1 overall pick in next year's draft, and he doesn't want to waste an entry level contract year, on a team that's going nowhere.
    He will give him all the bonus money he wants, next year.