Hall going #1?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Hall going #1?

I am constantly searching the net for articles and updates on Seguin and Hall.  I have to say with all I have read it certainly seams that Edmonton was pushing the idea of drafting Seguin in to the publics mind.  The radio had been pushing the idea, articles in local papers, even the Oilers own site I thought favorably portrayed Seguin.  However, recently Hall's Spitfires came back from a 3-0 deficit to win their series and move on in the playoffs.  He has 28 points (14g 14a) in 15 games played.  With all his playoff history...stepping up in big moments...I just don't see the Oilers able to convince their fans even if Seguin is the guy to select.  My call is clearly Hall going #1 overall and Seguin to the B's.  In all honesty I think Seguin will have the better career.  Let's hope he develops into the Yzerman quality player he gets so often compared to.

If this turn out to be true we are left with a entirely new set of questions....Does he return to the OHL for one more year?  Does he play wing?  Do we move one of centers? (Krejci looks like the one who get packaged).  

I know it's playoff time and I'm as into as anyone.....I just like talking Bruins...so if you have any thoughts put them out there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Hall going #1?

Tuuka,

Edmonton will take the best available player...I have read numerous people posting that he wants Boston b/c he was an Orr fan...well he wasn't born when Orr was playing...does he admire the legend, sure...but the Oliers don't give a rats bum-bum who he admires...the Oilers are taking a player that can turn the franchise around...you don't think the fact that Gretzky and Messier were stars there doesnt attrack some...Hall will likely want to go #1 overall for bragging rights and money issues...all these kids wanna go #1 overall...Hall has played with Eberle...the Oilers know that the fan base will go ape$hit if they pass on Hall and he turns into a superstar...

I don't mind the homers on here giving every excuse in the world why he is coming here(here are some examples: the Oilers need centers, Hall loves the bruins, Hall will hate Edmonton, Hall loves Orr, Hall doesn't like Edmonton blah blah blah)...I would bet my paycheck with anyone on here that Hall is drafted by the Oilers...

Seguin is a nce young prospect and we will be lucky to have a chance to have him...the Pens are stacked down the middle and it sure doesnt hurt them...we have valuable chips of strength at center and in goal...this team has a chance to add a pure goal scoring winger via trade and will be loaded down the middle for yrs to come...we also have a top notch goalie who has turned everyone into believers...

I am very happy with the fact we have 4 1st round picks in 2 yrs...thats how all the good teams have turned their teams around(Pitt/Wash/Chi)...the Bruins already have a weath of young talent and now we are stocking up on some true keepers this year and next...

Its good to be a Bruins fan...the future is bright.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

does it really matter?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Hall going #1?:
    I am constantly searching the net for articles and updates on Seguin and Hall.  I have to say with all I have read it certainly seams that Edmonton was pushing the idea of drafting Seguin in to the publics mind.  The radio had been pushing the idea, articles in local papers, even the Oilers own site I thought favorably portrayed Seguin.  However, recently Hall's Spitfires came back from a 3-0 deficit to win their series and move on in the playoffs.  He has 28 points (14g 14a) in 15 games played.  With all his playoff history...stepping up in big moments...I just don't see the Oilers able to convince their fans even if Seguin is the guy to select.  My call is clearly Hall going #1 overall and Seguin to the B's.  In all honesty I think Seguin will have the better career.  Let's hope he develops into the Yzerman quality player he gets so often compared to. If this turn out to be true we are left with a entirely new set of questions....Does he return to the OHL for one more year?  Does he play wing?  Do we move one of centers? (Krejci looks like the one who get packaged).   I know it's playoff time and I'm as into as anyone.....I just like talking Bruins...so if you have any thoughts put them out there.
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Tuukka, just finished watching all 7 games of the Windsor - Kitchener series . Taylor Hall is just a phenom. This kid had the puck ( it seemed ) double the time of any player on the ice. Agree with you totally on Hall going to the Oilers. He is the better player and they would be stupid not to take him. He is ahead of Seguin at this point of their careers. Next up for Hall and Fowler is Alexander Burmistrov and the Barrie Colts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I think he still has to win it all again to even be considered the undisputed #1.  And the Colts have a fantastic team this year led by Cameron and Burmistrov, not to mention great goaltending, so it won't be easy.

Don't forget, Seguin single-handedly carried a team this year, played 1 less OHL season and scored more goals than Hall did.  So, even if Hall does win it all, Edmonton would still be hard-pressed to convince most people that Hall is the better choice, especially given their current situation at Center.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Hall:
    2007-08Windsor SpitfiresOHL634539842252352
    2008-09Windsor SpitfiresOHL63385290602016203612
    174 points

Seguin:
    2008-09Plymouth WhalersOHL612146672811511168
    2009-10Plymouth WhalersOHL63485810654
    173 points

And Seguin did it by himself, so it's pretty clear to me who the top dog is.  Scouts have it right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Hopefully, no matter who we get, they fight throughout their careers on who is better a la Crosby and Ov, they may not be that talented but hopefully you get my drift.

Both these players are considered a can't miss, yes you can bring up Daigle, neither is that type of a player(hopefully).

The B's will take who they get and be extremely happy, they just need to mould him to be the player he is and we can use, don't throw him on the 4th line with Thorn and Beg for 5-6 mins like we did to Joe T, put him out with talent and bring him along as the star he is going to be. Bring either along as a winger and leave our top notch centers where they are to, unless he proves himself better, then we go with the top players (nature of the beast).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Keep in mind that Hall was on a better team than Sequin. Sequin did more with less.

This will be 1 and 1a, not 1 and 2 in the draft

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice analysis all the way through, Bim do you have the correct years for Hall?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Those are the first 2 years for both players.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Hall's years are correct he is missing 2010 as he has an extra year of junior because he was born in 91 as opposed to 92 for Seguin.

Seguin is only a couple of months younger but he is a whole year by minor hockey standards, I like this kid.

Hall is better right now but he also has a propensity to placing himself in dangerous zones as he did today when they already had a lead in the game. He sat out for a bit but he did come back after a hip check to the head on the boards. He is always in position to be nailed, if he doesn't think a little better, his career could be shortened. Though his attitude is similar to that of Hall of Famer in sort of a no guts no glory effort.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Hall going #1?:
    I am constantly searching the net for articles and updates on Seguin and Hall.  I have to say with all I have read it certainly seams that Edmonton was pushing the idea of drafting Seguin in to the publics mind.  The radio had been pushing the idea, articles in local papers, even the Oilers own site I thought favorably portrayed Seguin.  However, recently Hall's Spitfires came back from a 3-0 deficit to win their series and move on in the playoffs.  He has 28 points (14g 14a) in 15 games played.  With all his playoff history...stepping up in big moments...I just don't see the Oilers able to convince their fans even if Seguin is the guy to select.  My call is clearly Hall going #1 overall and Seguin to the B's.  In all honesty I think Seguin will have the better career.  Let's hope he develops into the Yzerman quality player he gets so often compared to. If this turn out to be true we are left with a entirely new set of questions....Does he return to the OHL for one more year?  Does he play wing?  Do we move one of centers? (Krejci looks like the one who get packaged).   I know it's playoff time and I'm as into as anyone.....I just like talking Bruins...so if you have any thoughts put them out there.
    Posted by TuukkainNet

I still have a feeling that Boston will end up with Hall either way. Peter Chiarelli was not shy when interviewed about the possibility of moving up to #1. He let TSN, SPORTNET, CBC, NHL-LIVE and ESPN know that he will be aggressive to get the #1 pick if he feels the situation is right for the Bruins' franchise.

That's a pretty bold statement to make especially coming from a guy who is so conservative. What also caught my ears was the fact that he was so direct and genuine when he stated he "will" pick Hall or Seguin and that he had one of them ahead of the other. My guess, he wants Hall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

Hey xenimus, can you post a link to back up this statement please.

"He let TSN, SPORTNET, CBC, NHL-LIVE and ESPN know that he will be aggressive to get the #1 pick if he feels the situation is right for the Bruins' franchise."

I don't remember PC using the word aggressive. I thought he said it would be a short conversation. Anyways, I hope PC isn't going to give up too much to go from 2 to 1, because I still think it's a toss up on who will end up better. I'll gladly take either one of these guys and go from there. People are putting too much stock in Windsor's season to decide the outcome in the draft. 3 years ago Windsor was projected to win everything this year. It is no secret that they are a very stacked team. If anything they never should have lost three games to Kitchener.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Hall going #1?:
    Hey xenimus, can you post a link to back up this statement please. "He let TSN, SPORTNET, CBC, NHL-LIVE and ESPN know that he will be aggressive to get the #1 pick if he feels the situation is right for the Bruins' franchise." I don't remember PC using the word aggressive. I thought he said it would be a short conversation. Anyways, I hope PC isn't going to give up too much to go from 2 to 1, because I still think it's a toss up on who will end up better. I'll gladly take either one of these guys and go from there. People are putting too much stock in Windsor's season to decide the outcome in the draft. 3 years ago Windsor was projected to win everything this year. It is no secret that they are a very stacked team. If anything they never should have lost three games to Kitchener.
    Posted by Reilly24

I was paraphrasing, thats why i did not use "quotations". I think you can find the video on TSN, under NHL Draft segment or i believe it is still posted on NHL.com.

But yeah, i'm with you man. I think both kids can be special players. I do recognize the fact that Seguin did a lot with a lot less but "we" cannot overlook the monster numbers Hall is putting up in big games against the top competition. It may as well be a toss-up but i would love to get such a determined and energetic scorer such as Hall. Darren Pang had a great quote about Hall -- "Hall is a human highlight-reel".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Notex. Show Notex's posts

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Hockey+World/2949538/story.html

Not sure the level of truth to this story but most evidence I've seen so far - excluding opionions

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I've waivered back n forth on this debate.  First, I was convinced Edmonton would take Hall, now I'm convinced it's only common sense they take Seguin.  But, if Edmonton is smart, they'll go with the Center.

Their scouts may like the developed game of Hall now, but at the end of the day Seguin's ranked #1 in both Prelim's and Final, done more with less and is believed to become the better player by the world's best scouts.  What more convincing do they need?

I think they're just posturing in that article.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Hockey+World/2949538/story.html Not sure the level of truth to this story but most evidence I've seen so far - excluding opionions
    Posted by Notex

nice article notex....its funny how the article favoured seguin because of his center position & everyone here in boston favours hall cause of his wing position.....i dont think either team is goin to lose out here...interesting comparison on modono & linden

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

GOAT, you hit my concern with Hall right on the nose.  He is reckless with his body - that's one of the things you have to love about the way he plays.  But he gets just abused from time to time.  It's one thing to get abused in the OHL, and another when the abuser is 6'5" 230 of NHL nutrition and muscle.  Love watching him play, so I can't say I'd be disappointed if Boston does get him, but given the Bruins' history of injured stars, I'll be hoping Karma's in his favour.

And because I can't resist - The problem played 5 min a night as a rookie because he was lost.  Not fast enough, not engaged enough, not learning the system fast enough.  Lost.  He should have been in the Soo, but there wasn't much left for him to accomplish in Jr. and he was too lazy to really push himself to dominate.  He was soft then just as he's soft now, it if the Sharks didn't have Clowe and Pavelski and that "second line" group of players who sell out for their team, Jumbo No-Show would be golfing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

GOAT, you hit my concern with Hall right on the nose.  He is reckless with his body - that's one of the things you have to love about the way he plays.  But he gets just abused from time to time.  It's one thing to get abused in the OHL, and another when the abuser is 6'5" 230 of NHL nutrition and muscle.  Love watching him play, so I can't say I'd be disappointed if Boston does get him, but given the Bruins' history of injured stars, I'll be hoping Karma's in his favour. And because I can't resist - The problem played 5 min a night as a rookie because he was lost.  Not fast enough, not engaged enough, not learning the system fast enough.  Lost.  He should have been in the Soo, but there wasn't much left for him to accomplish in Jr. and he was too lazy to really push himself to dominate.  He was soft then just as he's soft now, it if the Sharks didn't have Clowe and Pavelski and that "second line" group of players who sell out for their team, Jumbo No-Show would be golfing.
    Posted by Bookboy007

bookboy , Hall is definitely that type of player ( reckless ) . But his fearless style of play combined with his awesome speed makes him the dominant player he is. His risk of getting injured is greater than most because of him playing this way. But what kind of player would a team rather have . A player that has an 'all out' style of play like a Bobby Orr or a perimeter player like a Joe Thornton. Sure Hall will get hurt down the road in the NHL because of playing this way but he knows no other way of playing ( all out ) . Don't care what statistics , projections for the future , who he has played with compared to with who Seguin has played with or needs for the team . You can tell by the comments on these boards of the posters who have seen both play . The ones who haven't seen these two play regularly bring up stats , projections and team needs. The ones who have watched these two play state the obvious Hall is the better player. Saying all of that I hope the Oilers agree with some of the rankings and certain posters on these boards because although both should have good careers I obviously prefer Hall over Seguin.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Tuuka, Hall not only admires Orr, but has him as an agent. That's something that could help us out in the end, but only makes it wishful thinking until Edmonton steps up to the podium and announces their pick.

With everything I've heard, and from all sides to the situation, I think Edmonton will take Seguin. They won't take him for a positional need, but because he could be that player that rises one of the most historic teams in the world from the ashes and returns them to the promise land of victory. Edmonton needs one player who can bring the best out of his teammates and turn them into a winner. Believe it or not, Edmonton has a very talented team, perhaps even more talented than a few of these playoff teams. Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner, Sam Gagner, Andrew Cogliano, Shawn Horcoff, Sheldon Souray, Tom Gilbert and formerly Dennis Grebeshkov are skilled players who are capable of playing on the top two lines of nearly any team in the league. Khabibulin is a good goaltender when healthy, but his injury is part of what tanked this team. If Edmonton can get Seguin and manage to draft one of the better defensemen in the draft then they'll have two leaders added onto their extensive list of quality prospects (in my opinion they have arguably the deepest prospect depth in the league). 

Edmonton needs two or three more players to become a playoff team, and Seguin is one of those pieces so dearly needed. With their offer to the Bruins to trade up, I believe it's a sign that they want Seguin but also know that we want Hall. Tambellini's poker face is strong, but easy to decipher. He knows what he wants, but unfortunately for him so does Chiarelli. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CanuckBruin. Show CanuckBruin's posts

Either way, we're good!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Agreed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Hall is going #1 the end. The guy has accomplished so much more than Seguin thus far. Whose to say Windsor has a better team vs that Hall has brought out the best from all of his team mates? Ovechkin has done the same thing for washington

Seguin had a nice year last year and his skills are notable but he hasn't raised any big throphies yet. He didn't even produce a shot on net in some games vs windsor in this years playoffs let alone score a single point. You think even if crosby , ovie or hall was in a terrible team they wouldn't even get a single point for their team?

Seguin pulled a Joe Thornton this past years playoffs. (no excuses)

For his skills i'd take him 2nd and for his heart and desire to win i'd take him with our 2nd first round pick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

You're kidding, right yaz? The only reason Plymouth had any business in the playoffs is because of Seguin. Think of Seguin as Crosby and Ovechkin in their rookie seasons, except the OHL is on a more even keel for competition. Seguin makes players around him better, and will be a dynamic player in the league. 

Try having the reigning Memorial Cup champs cover you like white on rice and see how you perform. One of Seguin's best assets is his acknowledgement of what he needs to improve on. He's the kind of player that will continue to elevate his game when it counts. I think we're in excellent hands with either player, but I do have to agree that Hall will probably go #1. I know I said Edmonton will probably take Seguin, but I misspoke. I should have said I think Edmonton should take Seguin. In the past few years whenever the top 2-3 have been close the longstanding consensus pick has always been #1. Tavares was always going to be #1, as was Stamkos and Kane. If you hold the hype long enough then any newcomers will end up drawing the proverbial short straw in the eyes of a prospective team.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

yaz, to answer this question...
    "Whose to say Windsor has a better team vs that Hall has brought out the best from all of his team mates?"
    Anyone and everyone who knows anything about the OHL says that Windsor is miles ahead of any other team in the OHL.