Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?

My wife asked me this question and I couldn't answer...I could think of other sports crossover players...Bo Jackson, Danny Ainge...Tommy Glavine pitched for the Braves and I believe drafted by an NHL team if I remember correctly. But I couldn't think of one...so I turn to you guys and gals! Thx

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?

I think the Kings drafted Glavine.

I have a Lindros Blue Jays card, but I don't think he was drafted by them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?:
    [QUOTE]My wife asked me this question and I couldn't answer...I could think of other sports crossover players...Bo Jackson, Danny Ainge...Tommy Glavine pitched for the Braves and I believe drafted by an NHL team if I remember correctly. But I couldn't think of one...so I turn to you guys and gals! Thx
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

I am going to go with a glavine probably being the closest, I think a lot of guys played other sports I mean many are documented as lacrosse or soccer players, but on a professional level I would think hockey is just too physically demanding to play a second sport at the professional level as well..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?:
    [QUOTE]I think the Kings drafted Glavine. I have a Lindros Blue Jays card, but I don't think he was drafted by them.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Good thing they were able to snag that onther guy in the 9th round

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I know this wasn't the bigs but Clark Gillies played professionally in the Houston Astros farm system before going on to play for the Isles. Interesting stuff ! I never knew this.

Clark Gillies

Clark Gillies was born and grew up in Moose Jaw which at that time had a population of approximately 36,000. His dad was a department store salesman and Clark had an easy childhood. In the summer he played baseball and in the winter hockey.

Clark was actually so good at baseball that he played three seasons of minor-league baseball with the Houston Astros' farm team in Covington, West Virginia, where his season-high batting average was .257. Later on he once impressed the New York Mets as a power hitter when he took informal batting practice at Shea Stadium. But luckily enough for all hockey fans Clark decided to pursue a hockey career instead.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chris Drury won a Little League World Series.

Getzlaf's brother plays for Saskatchewan in the CFL - and I think Ryan played a bit.

I don't think it's the physical demands of hockey that keep great hockey players from excelling in complimentary sports - I think it's Canada on the one hand and the small population/financial demands of playing hockey in the USA.  Much like soccer in North America, the lack of scouting infrastructure in much of Canada is connected to a lack of investment in high-end, pro development coaching in many areas.  BC and Ontario are probably the exceptions, with guys like Larry Walker having played to a certain level. Not sure about other Canadian MLB players like Morneau or Votto.

"Bo knows hockey?"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Pierre Turgeon played for team canada in the LLWS...

Grant Fuhr was offered a contract by the Pirates...

Not a lot of options though...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stanleycomehome. Show Stanleycomehome's posts

I thought I remember hearing peter zezel played professional soccer for a short time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?:
    [QUOTE]My wife asked me this question and I couldn't answer...I could think of other sports crossover players...Bo Jackson, Danny Ainge...Tommy Glavine pitched for the Braves and I believe drafted by an NHL team if I remember correctly. But I couldn't think of one...so I turn to you guys and gals! Thx
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]
    Lionel Conacher played in the CFL and even won a Grey Cup in 1921.He went on to be named Canada's athlete of the half century as he excelled in hockey,football,lacrosse,soccer,baseball and boxing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Patrice Brisebois went from the NHL to being a NASCAR driver. And yes, being a NASCAR driver is being an athlete .... see 2009 when the AP Male Athlete Of The Year was NASCAR driver Jimmy Johnson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]Pierre Turgeon played for team canada in the LLWS... Grant Fuhr was offered a contract by the Pirates... Not a lot of options though...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]
    Grant Fuhr was a very good golfer also.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Grant Fuhr was a very good golfer also.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]
    Mario Lemieux also a fine golfer.I believe he eventually plans to play on the senior PGA tour.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I didn't even think of that...I bet there are a lot of ex NHL players that could play big boy golf...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Patrice Brisebois went from the NHL to being a NASCAR driver. And yes, being a NASCAR driver is being an athlete .... see 2009 when the AP Male Athlete Of The Year was NASCAR driver Jimmy Johnson.

I don't care what the AP says.  Driving cars is not a sport.  Cheerleading is not a sport.  Syncronized swimming is not a sport.  Ice Dancing is not a sport.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : I don't care what the AP says.  Driving cars is not a sport.  Cheerleading is not a sport.  Syncronized swimming is not a sport.  Ice Dancing is not a sport.
    I suppose next you're going to say darts isn't a sport.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : I don't care what the AP says.  Driving cars is not a sport.  Cheerleading is not a sport.  Syncronized swimming is not a sport.  Ice Dancing is not a sport.
    Yes it is, just like riding horses. See 1977 when jockey Steve Cauthen won that AP award. Also last year a horse came in second place for AP Female Athlete Of The Year (Zenyatta). Poker however, should never be considered a sport.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stanleycomehome. Show Stanleycomehome's posts

I believe dan quinn is a pro golfer as well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Figure skating is not a sport? Because that's what ice dancing is - there's only a slight differernce in the moves you can/can't make on the ice. Try strapping on a pair of skates and doing an ice dancing routine sometime. And if synchronized swimming isn't a sport, what's diving? Obviously not a sport - all they do is fall off a diving board and make twisty moves. Big deal.

How about golf? Fat men walking around in funny pants. Cycling - they use a machine! Jockeys aren't athletes, right? Everybody knows the horse does all the work.

I hate NASCAR, but driving in a race isn't a Sunday drive by the shore. It takes astounding strength, endurance and hand-eye coordination.

But the only "real sports" are hockey, baseball, basketball and football, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Yes it is, just like riding horses. See 1977 when jockey Steve Cauthen won that AP award. Also last year a horse came in second place for AP Female Athlete Of The Year (Zenyatta). Poker however, should never be considered a sport.
    As soon as people start buying the jockey's sperm instead of the horse's I'll admit they are athletes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : As soon as people start buying the jockey's sperm instead of the horse's I'll admit they are athletes.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Very clever, but if you ever tried to control a thousand pounds of flying horseflesh surrounded by 10 other horses careening down a dirt track at 30+ mph you might be singing a different tune.

Pick up "Seabiscuit" sometime and you might learn something about what it takes to be a jockey.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Very clever, but if you ever tried to control a thousand pounds of flying horseflesh surrounded by 10 other horses careening down a dirt track at 30+ mph you might be singing a different tune. Pick up "Seabiscuit" sometime and you might learn something about what it takes to be a jockey.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    I was just kidding.I went trail riding for 4 hours one time and was sore for days.That was without the horse going fast so I can only imagine the training involved to ride one at full speed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from east-westBsfan. Show east-westBsfan's posts

Years and years ago when in i was in 3rd grade , my  teacher's nephew was Richie Hebner who played for the pirates and i think was also drafted by an nhl team. Like i said, ages ago and i might be wrong.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Many of the Flyers Dive DURING the season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Kirk Edward McCaskill (born April 9, 1961, in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada) is a retired Major League Baseball pitcher and a retired professional hockey player.

McCaskill played for two different ballclubs during his career: the California Angels (1985-91), and Chicago White Sox (1992-96). He made his Major League Baseball debut on May 1, 1985, and played his final game on July 20, 1996. He also played professional hockey for the Sherbrooke Jets of the American Hockey League, a farm team for the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets.[1]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : I was just kidding.I went trail riding for 4 hours one time and was sore for days.That was without the horse going fast so I can only imagine the training involved to ride one at full speed.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Sorry, didn't mean to jump on you, but the whole "not a sport/not an athlete" argument is one of my pet peeves. Especially regarding jockeys, who are astounding athletes (and who also have the highest insurance rates of any professional athete; if you're a jockey, count on getting injured).

Anyway, speaking of which, has anyone ever checked to make sure that Marty St. Louis was never a jockey? ;-)

Sections
Shortcuts