Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?

Nyjer Morgan made it as far as the Regina Pats of the WHL before turning to a pro career in baseball. 

Joe Niewendyke (sp?) and Gary Roberts played pro lacrosse.  Roberts was probably cheap SOB in lacrosse as well. 

Marty St. Louis was not a jockey; however, Zdeno Chara has been seen in a few stables before. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from no1bruinsfan. Show no1bruinsfan's posts

Peter Zezel played some soccer for the Toronto Blizzard and North York Rockets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 77ray77. Show 77ray77's posts

Don Cherry as you all know played for the bruins, but he mentioned one night on coaches corner that he was offered a tryout with i believe the Dodgers organization back in the 50s 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports?:
    I think the Kings drafted Glavine. I have a Lindros Blue Jays card, but I don't think he was drafted by them.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yeah, he was drafted in the 4th Round, 69th Overall, in the 84 draft by LA.  Wasn't hard for me to find out.  Just asked him, he remembered it clearly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Yeah, he was drafted in the 4th Round, 69th Overall, in the 84 draft by LA.  Wasn't hard for me to find out.  Just asked him, he remembered it clearly.
    Posted by beantowngm15

Wow, thats impressive, cause you know what would have taken less effort and gotten a faster answer, google..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Wow, thats impressive, cause you know what would have taken less effort and gotten a faster answer, google..
    Posted by rolerhoky19

No, calling him took me less effort.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Gene Conley -  Basketball (Celtics) and Baseball (Red Sox).  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

I think the Kings drafted Glavine. I have a Lindros Blue Jays card, but I don't think he was drafted by them.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

You're right.  The Jays didn't draft Lindros.  He'd take BP with them once in a while.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Micheal Jordan (Basketball & Baseball). I believe Lucic is very good at Rugby and was offered to a chance to play for Canada's International team. I will try to find the artical.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

article LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Larry Robinson played polo (some sport you play on horses).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Brendan Shanahan, Joe Nieuwendyk, and Gary Roberts all played Lacrose.  Canada's other national sport.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Figure skating is not a sport? Because that's what ice dancing is - there's only a slight differernce in the moves you can/can't make on the ice. Try strapping on a pair of skates and doing an ice dancing routine sometime. And if synchronized swimming isn't a sport, what's diving? Obviously not a sport - all they do is fall off a diving board and make twisty moves. Big deal. How about golf? Fat men walking around in funny pants. Cycling - they use a machine! Jockeys aren't athletes, right? Everybody knows the horse does all the work. I hate NASCAR, but driving in a race isn't a Sunday drive by the shore. It takes astounding strength, endurance and hand-eye coordination. But the only "real sports" are hockey, baseball, basketball and football, right?
    Posted by duinne

" I hate NASCAR, but driving in a race isn't a Sunday drive by the shore. It takes astounding strength, endurance and hand-eye coordination."

Not to mention brass cojones to go fender-to-fender at speeds the rest of us experience only on airplanes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

I didn't even think of that...I bet there are a lot of ex NHL players that could play big boy golf...
    Posted by mannyortez3424

I remember hearing that Gordie Howe had the long drive record for many years, until technology gaught up with golf clubs and balls. My brother has seen Cam Neely "spank the ball" long and straight. Golf is a natural progression from hockey. You just gotta play "no check".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

On Gordie howe holding the "long drive" record, he has an award for the longest drive, in a tournament 316 years.. good, but definitely never head a record anywhere with that..

I think most people are missing the key point was "professional athlete", chris drury being a llws hero doesnt really qualify as an answer..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Marc Savard is very good at golf also. He got pointers from golf pro Stewart Cink, and once was his caddie at the John Deere Classic.

He has his sights on playing on the Canadian Tour once he retires from the NHL.

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/golf/2010/08/13/15021306.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : No, calling him took me less effort.
    Posted by beantowngm15

I disagree.  While sitting in front of a computer, it is easier to type "tom glavine draft hockey" into a search engine than it is to reach for a phone, dial, wait for someone to pick up, offer a greeting, ask a question, explain the reason behind it, hang up, and then return to type the answer.

This was clearly some attempt to impress people...and it clearly didn't work.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Have any NHL players played any other Professional Sports? : Figure skating is not a sport? Because that's what ice dancing is - there's only a slight differernce in the moves you can/can't make on the ice. Try strapping on a pair of skates and doing an ice dancing routine sometime. And if synchronized swimming isn't a sport, what's diving? Obviously not a sport - all they do is fall off a diving board and make twisty moves. Big deal. How about golf? Fat men walking around in funny pants. Cycling - they use a machine! Jockeys aren't athletes, right? Everybody knows the horse does all the work. I hate NASCAR, but driving in a race isn't a Sunday drive by the shore. It takes astounding strength, endurance and hand-eye coordination. But the only "real sports" are hockey, baseball, basketball and football, right?
    Posted by duinne

Quite a tirade.  I never stated that they didn't take skill, I said they weren't sports.  I don't consider ice dancing, figure skating, diving, gymnastics or anything else that is left up to judges opinions to be sports.  Sports have a score, a clearly defined score, or are decided by whomever comes in first (as in a race).  The fact that the German judge can give a 3.8 and decide who wins by submarining the Italian ice dancers performance makes it more like art than sport.  The skill is very, very impressive and there is no way I would ever consider attempting it, but that doesn't make it a sport to me.  Figure skating is as much of a sport as cheerleading is...0%.

As for car racing, driving is not a sport.  I don't care what the conditions are.  If guys were forced to sit in really hot rooms without water to play video games, video games wouldn't be sports either.  They're events or competitions, but to me, if the equipment is doing the vast majority of the work, it's not a sport.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soda77. Show soda77's posts

chris terreri was a scab jai alai player when the regulars went on strike way back.  i think that is a sport, a rigged sport, but hey, that is rhode island for you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Way back in the day Terry Sawchuk played a season with the original Winnipeg Goldeyes, who at the time were the Cardinals' farm team. He's the only real star I know of who has tried to make a switch.
    Jordan Eberle, who is an Oilers prospect and has played a game or two so far in the bigs, suited up for the Edmonton Rush of the National Lacrosse League as an injury replacement.

Sections
Shortcuts