hawks sign turco

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

hawks sign turco

Marty Turco - 1 year - $1.75M.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Espo72. Show Espo72's posts

Re: hawks sign turco

Didn't he turn down a multi-year deal from the Flyers for $2m per?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Twitter.com/wyshynski

Via @ChrisKuc, "CHI walks away from Niemi and signs Turco to 1-yr deal. Which speaks volumes about Hawks' $$ crunch, Bowman philosophy on GKs"

twitter.com/fourthperiod

"Turco now a Hawk... signing is done. Niemi is now a free-agent"

And walk away from Niemi Interesting that the Stanley Cup winner dumps there starting goalie and claim there upside down financially.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

In Response to Re: hawks sign turco:
    [QUOTE]Twitter.com/wyshynski   Via @ChrisKuc, "CHI walks away from Niemi and signs Turco to 1-yr deal. Which speaks volumes about Hawks' $$ crunch, Bowman philosophy on GKs" twitter.com/fourthperiod "Turco now a Hawk... signing is done. Niemi is now a free-agent " And walk away from Niemi Interesting that the Stanley Cup winner dumps there starting goalie and claim there upside down financially.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I thought the deal was way to high, Niemi didn't prove anything and chicago has 0 room, probably a good decision.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

looks like the bruins will have a good back up this season, weather its rask or thomas, Niemi @2.75 no brianer

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]looks like the bruins will have a good back up this season, weather its rask or thomas, Niemi @2.75 no brianer
    Posted by bruinsfan084evr[/QUOTE]

The bruins will not be signing Niemi, and I doubt he gets that from any team.  He could still land in Chicago if he is willing to play for less.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : The bruins will not be signing Niemi, and I doubt he gets that from any team.  He could still land in Chicago if he is willing to play for less.
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

who said the bruins want Niemi?what a meant was any team will sign niemi before thomas, 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernBrewin. Show NorthernBrewin's posts

Goalies are going for cheap.

Hope Tim gets to play a few more games behind Tuukka this year because, at current goalie rates, he ain't going anywhere in the near future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : who said the bruins want Niemi?what a meant was any team will sign niemi before thomas, 

Got ya,
    I dont know that I believe that is true though, depends what he is looking for.  He is very much an unknown at this point.  Thomas wont be moved till he plays though.  I don't think he can be traded right now anyhow as he can not pass a team physical (usually required) but no team wants a goalie coming off hip surgery unless they are sure he can play and it wont be detremental long term

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

well it looks like the flyers might end up with the 2 stanley cup goaltender ,wouldn,t that be something  lol

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

Should have traded Thomas for a bag of pucks and signed Turco for 1.75...that just makes the Thomas deal look even worse.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]well it looks like the flyers might end up with the 2 stanley cup goaltender ,wouldn,t that be something  lol
    Maybe Montreal doesn't sign Price, but Niemi instead.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : Maybe Montreal doesn't sign Price, but Niemi instead.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

You've got to be kidding..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : You've got to be kidding..
    Just giving an Eklund rumor in advance.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : Maybe Montreal doesn't sign Price, but Niemi instead.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer[/QUOTE]

That would be hilarious.

I really hope Price holds out. Get the popcorn and watch the fur fly in Montreal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Montreal shot themselves in the foot by moving Halak without signing Price first.  Now he's thinks he's the man and wants to get paid like it.  The Habs signing Niemi would be sweet justice.  It would finally knock Price off that high horse the Habs put him on.  With no goaltending jobs out there he'd be forced into a similar situation he was in last season.

Of course for all of that to work out the Canadiens brass would finally have to admit that they were wrong about him and there's no way they'd do that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Niemi didn't prove anything? The guy won a Stanley Cup. That proves he can handle the pressure of the Stanley Cup playoffs. $2.75 for a Stanley Cup winning goaltender is reasonable to me. It isn't Niemi's fault that the Blackhawks are in the financial situation they are in.

The Bruins should not have traded Thomas and signed Turco. The only thing that would have done is given the team more cap space. I would take Thomas over Turco any day. Turco hasn't been a good goalie for a few years now. I agree that Thomas' contract is too high, but that doesn't mean you do something stupid like canning him and bringing in an overated goalie like Turco.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]Niemi didn't prove anything? The guy won a Stanley Cup. That proves he can handle the pressure of the Stanley Cup playoffs. $2.75 for a Stanley Cup winning goaltender is reasonable to me. It isn't Niemi's fault that the Blackhawks are in the financial situation they are in. The Bruins should not have traded Thomas and signed Turco. The only thing that would have done is given the team more cap space. I would take Thomas over Turco any day. Turco hasn't been a good goalie for a few years now. I agree that Thomas' contract is too high, but that doesn't mean you do something stupid like canning him and bringing in an overated goalie like Turco.
    Posted by lordy4[/QUOTE]

He won as part of a great team that was a preseason favorite to win the entire thing.  Has 42 career starts.. Posted a lower SVS% then Thomas who is ripped on here daily.  He didn't win the stanley cup for chicago.. He was posted a 3.75gaa in the last 4 with an .860 svs %..

There is nothing to suggest he might repeat any of his success with out that team around him, just the same as there is nothign to suggest he woul be terrible.. So I will stand by he hasn't proven anything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think Niemi has a lot to prove as far as being an NHL regular starting goaltender, but it's tough to say he hasn't proven anything with a Stanley Cup ring.  While I agree he was on a great team and certainly didn't carry them (I'd also point out that the Hawks' route to the Cup- Nash/Van/SJ/Philly- wasn't anywhere near as hard as a lot of other teams), I'd still say he didnt fold under pressure that lots of goalies do in the playoffs for teams that are supposed to win. There's Hall of Fame goalies that never got their names on a Cup.  Its worth something.

However, I'll completely disagree with lordy- you wouldn't trade Thomas and his $5m per for 3 more years, for Turco as a backup for $1.5?  Thats just crazy.  Turco hasnt been great for awhile, but we are talking about dollars allocated for a backup, and Turco couldnt possibly be more overrated than Thomas.

This deal sure highlights that the B's have no chance to dump Thomas and that horrific contract.  I think all the people so ready to stash Ryder in Providence to take $4M off the cap should look at demoting the 35 year old backup and saving $5M.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

[QUOTE]I think Niemi has a lot to prove as far as being an NHL regular starting goaltender, but it's tough to say he hasn't proven anything with a Stanley Cup ring.  While I agree he was on a great team and certainly didn't carry them (I'd also point out that the Hawks' route to the Cup- Nash/Van/SJ/Philly- wasn't anywhere near as hard as a lot of other teams), I'd still say he didnt fold under pressure that lots of goalies do in the playoffs for teams that are supposed to win. There's Hall of Fame goalies that never got their names on a Cup.  Its worth something. However, I'll completely disagree with lordy- you wouldn't trade Thomas and his $5m per for 3 more years, for Turco as a backup for $1.5?  Thats just crazy.  Turco hasnt been great for awhile, but we are talking about dollars allocated for a backup, and Turco couldnt possibly be more overrated than Thomas. This deal sure highlights that the B's have no chance to dump Thomas and that horrific contract.  I think all the people so ready to stash Ryder in Providence to take $4M off the cap should look at demoting the 35 year old backup and saving $5M.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Your right on the "he proved not to fold" is the one thing I would agree on he did not completely implode on himself and cost them the cup.

I think history supports the idea that good goal tending will lead to long term success, but teams have been strong enough to get by with out.

Also in your TT hating, you forget he is a plus 35, putting him in providence saves 100k.
    Its hard to say if he is moveable or not though, he is injured and can not pass a physical right now, making him untradable, he may have been so at the dead line last year..If thomas comes back and plays up to his usual performance by mid season a market will open up for him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: hawks sign turco : Your right on the "he proved not to fold" is the one thing I would agree on he did not completely implode on himself and cost them the cup. I think history supports the idea that good goal tending will lead to long term success, but teams have been strong enough to get by with out. Also in your TT hating, you forget he is a plus 35, putting him in providence saves 100k. Its hard to say if he is moveable or not though, he is injured and can not pass a physical right now, making him untradable, he may have been so at the dead line last year..If thomas comes back and plays up to his usual performance by mid season a market will open up for him

Actually, the bigger problem is you can't just demote a guy with a NMC.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that TT would've waive it to go to Providence. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

In Response to hawks sign turco:
    [QUOTE]Marty Turco - 1 year - $1.75M.

Turco signed for 1.3M, not 1.75M.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruWingFan. Show BruWingFan's posts

Chicago will give Corey Crawford every chance to prove he's ready for the backup role in camp. In fact, it would not surprise me in the least if it's his spot to lose. Huet might as well get an apartment in Rockford. Cap relief of 5.6M and they'll pay Turco and Crawford less than they would have had to pay Niemi.

Yes, Niemi was between the pipes when the Hawks won the Cup. But he's an average goalie at best. I doubt too many teams will be jumping through hoops to sign him. He'll get some offers, but I doubt they will be in the range the award was for.