Help PC with Major Issues

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Help PC with Major Issues

This is how Chiarelli should deal with the cap crunch, next year's roster, development of prospects, and trades. Since I know he reads these posts (all of them), I have included some advice on how to get it done with the up-aboves. This is a business after all. Add your advice for PC, so he doesn't mess up this huge year for the B's coming up.

1. Resolve cap crunch by dumping Ryder in Providence; sell to Jacobs as a wise business investment AND best chance to win now, guarantee big bucks for the future.

If I am PC, the easiest way to fix our cap issues is to get rid of Ryder's salary. For what he earns, he is a tremendously unproductive player, if we value him based on last year's production. With Ryder out of the picture, the Bruins would have more than $5 million to sign Seguin and Wheeler, so consider that a done deal also. To re-absorb Sturm in mid-November (as reported the other day by the Globe), we'd also have to move someone else, but I will discuss that below.

Now, this is a business so he's going to have to run this past Jacobs (and perhaps Neely, who knows). Easy sell though. Dumping Ryder allows the Bruins to theoretically field the best team by not necessarily having to get rid of Thomas and/or Savard, who are solid players by everyone's standards, even if they have question marks surrounding them (but very few players don't). The Bruins will sell more jerseys and generate more ad revenue with Savard or Thomas. The Bruins will be better overall with Savard or Thomas. All of this leads to the playoffs, where the Bruins will have a better chance to earn all that glorious playoff money, and earn back far more than Ryder's lost $4 million, and make a deep run, and perhaps win in, with Thomas or Savard.

Bottom Line: Dumping Ryder and sucking up that $4 million is a low risk investment with HUGE potential yields in cash this year and future years if they can win it and earn some serious fan loyalty (Chicago is going to rake it in for years), because if the Bruins don't have to dump Thomas and Savard, if they can keep just one, they'll be good enough on the ice to earn back all that money in playoff money, ad revenue, jerseys and licensing agreements for one of the two Bruins stars, etc. Winning a cup would be a huge financial boon for any original six franchise and the NHL.

2. Field most competitive team by playing Seguin and trading Savard.

This is really a part of my pitch in number 1. The Bruins need to get rid of someone to re-absorb Sturm under the cap and have to space to add someone at the deadline (but if they're going to add someone, why not just keep Savard?) and the Bruins are deep at center. 

Seguin is a guaranteed cash cow and can hold his own in the NHL now. Savard is a solid player and a better one at this point than Seguin. However, the Bruins need to field a team for it to be competitive and they won't be able to do that if they don't make this deal. I'd rather get rid of Sturm or Ference, but I can't see anyone taking those contracts (without trading away a significant draft pick) and Jacobs isn't going to let us . bury 6+ million in Providence (see above), so this has to be done. The Bruins only realistically need to gain 2.5 million in cap space, if number 1 goes down, to re-absorb Sturm in November and have cap wiggle room (around 2 million), so getting a useful player/prospect in the 1.5 million range would only help the Bruins. Hopefully a forward. 

Rask needs someone to back him up. 50-55 games in the regular season and a guy pushing him in the playoffs and able to give him a rest when we're up 3-0 in a series (though Rask should get the most of the starts) is a nice thing to have. Having the player be a hyper competitive, Vezina winner, who constantly thrives when people count him out, is a plus.

Bottom line: Gives us cap space and hopefully a useful player/prospect/pick. This is a hockey decision, so hopefully PC would be have the authority to do this on his own (or at the most with authorization from Neely).

3. Add depth on Defense via trade or free agency.

If 1 and 2 go down, the Bruins will have 2 million to work with plus whatever they get rid of in the deal. We need someone on the bottom pairing, assuming Hunwick cannot rebound or someone gets hurt. I advocate getting a forward in the Savard deal because I don't entirely like the idea of having Paille on Seguin's third line with Wheeler and I don't want a like of Marchand Seguin Wheeler.

As August roles around and players don't have homes, PC should be after a guy like Brian Pothier, who I believe is still available.  Bottom line: we need a 5-6 guy to add some quality competition for D-spots and provide depth when injuries/inconsistency strike.

4. Put together roster with solid, veteran players and hungry, eager youngsters; Win Eastern Conference Championship.

Lucic Krejci  Horton

Caron Bergeron Recchi 

Paille Seguin Wheeler

Marchand Campbell Thornton

* If Savard gets moved, I'd like to get a forward in the million- 1.5 million range, so that would change the bottom 6 in some fashion, likely bumping Marchand, Thornton, and Hamill down the depth chart.

Extra: Hamill
    Call ups: Colborne, Sauve, Lovecchio

Chara Seidenberg

Stuart Boychuk

Ference Pothier

Extra: Hunwick
    Call ups: McQuaid, Bodnarchuk, Kampfer, Bartkowksi.

Rask
    Thomas

5. Re-Sign Chara and Bergeron during the season.

Chara is a big part of this team and should be back at 7 years/ 30 million. Wicked cap hit (just over 4 million per year) frees up more than 3 million in cap space, plus low risk because Chara is a health freak. I can see him playing to 40 easy. But even if he doesn't, he won't be 35 when he signs tis deal so he can retire or we can get rid of his contract, though he will probably get a NMC since we are dealing Savard.

Why would Chara do it? Chance to become a legend in an original 6-market. Front load the contract so he makes huge income in the next few years and he can retire easy with no hit the Bruins. Bruins are a very competitive team and this deal will make them even better. This package offers a lot to Chara: winning, money, chance to leave a mark on the league.

Bergeron should be back also in the $4.7 million range. He is a very solid player and a leader on this team. I have a lot of respect for Bergeron's game and the value he brings to the team. $4 million would be an absolute steal for what Bergeron offers and $5.5 million would be a little high. Hopefully the Koivu signing is seen as an anomaly, but if it isn't Bergeron is going to be hard to bring back. Then again, if Z and everyone else is taking a discount, Bergeron probably will also. 5 years, $23 million. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

Re: Help PC with Major Issues

your lineup is terrible  ryder is so much better than marchand or caron....    open line up should be     lucic savard horton     wheeler krejci ryder   recchi-bergy-seguin    thor-campb-paille    chara-siend  boych hunwik   fere stuy    sturms 3.5 ltr will give us time until dec cap wise

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

PC will never stand on the carpet in the Deleware North offices and ask JJ for a dime because Chiarelli knows what the answer will be "Get out of my office!" Jacobs has made public statements about how displeased he was about the Lewis buyout. There will be a trade right before Sturm gets back from LTIR for that relief.

Seguin hasn't played a second of his brand new NHL career but he can replace a 85-90 point scorer especially not knowing how bad Krejci's injury really is ? Ask Jason Allison about wrist injuries. Point being don't anoint anyone to take the reigns of fulltime #1 center, #1 PP quarterback until we see it consistently.

There is a rule in the NHL that you can't extend a player to lesson his cap hit in the last year of his contract me thinks it's called the Kieth Tkachuk rule.

I do agree that Boston could use some better veteran defenseman depth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

And continuing some of Bruins8 and SanDogBrewin's thoughts .... lots of things can happen until December when Sturm comes off LTIR.

We had a cap problem last year before the season started as well (Kessel), and things sorted themselves out.

Sending Ryder down to Providence can be a solution to the B's cap problem, but will probably done so as an emergency exit (JJ).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

There is three contracts that PC looked into moving for cap relief:

Ryder - More likely he's claimed on waivers or ends up in the minors then getting anything in return.

Savard - Easiest to move due to cap friendly hit, but it does hurt us offensively.

Thomas - Not going anywhere.  There is no goalie market right now and I can't see PC giving him away.

So of the three rumored players being shopped I'd say Ryder and Savard are the first to go...in that order.  We are thinking that one deal needs to get done, but don't be shocked if one goes now and one goes when Sturm is ready.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Cap Geek just unveiled it's new cap calculator:

http://bit.ly/d1e21d

It's pretty cool to see what PC has ahead of him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I don't think the roster you propse would win the eastern conference championship.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Lots of words.  Not much logic.

Playing a rookie while moving the B's best offensive player is supposed to make the B's "more competitive?"  Uh, no.

"Seguin can hold his own in the NHL now."  Really?  Enlighten us with your observations of how Seguin has performed in his NHL career so far, would you?
    It's interesting how people who have no idea what they are talking about can state unequivically what Seguin "will" do"  while others still need another year or 2 out of Rask to prove he can handle the NHL. (NOTE: I think all rookies need to prove it over a couple of seasons, including Rask.)

The tired logic for keeping a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR BACKUP golaie is that he's a "Vezina winner" continues to make me ill.  Please tell me what an undeserved trophy does to help stop pucks in 2011, please? 

I do believe the B's need an NHL veteran to back up Rask while he continues to develop, but paying a mediocre pouter in the locker room $5M is just stupid.

A thread started to explain cap management that concludes the best ideas are that a rookie makes the team more competitive, dumping the teams best offensive player, while keeping a $5M has-been backup is stuff for PC to laugh at.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

FORWARDS
    Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / Marc Savard ($4.007m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)
    Michael Ryder ($4.000m) / David Krejci ($3.750m) / Blake Wheeler ($2.500m)
    Tyler Seguin ($0.900m) / Patrice Bergeron ($4.750m) / Mark Recchi ($1.950m)
    Daniel Paille ($1.075m) / Greg Campbell ($1.100m) / Shawn Thornton ($0.812m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Zdeno Chara ($7.500m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m)
    Andrew Ference ($2.250m) / Johnny Boychuk ($1.875m)
    Mark Stuart ($1.675m) / Matt Hunwick ($1.450m)

GOALTENDERS
    Tim Thomas ($5.000m) /Tuukka Rask ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS: Peter Schaefer ($0.766m) / Patrick Eaves ($-0.041m)
    CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY: $1,759,795

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

As far as my projections for Seguin go, note that I have him on the third line. I expect he can, in his first season, be, at least, the 15th best third line center in the NHL next year. I base this on scouting reports, newspaper reports, commentary from guys like NAS, etc. Everything I've read is that Seguin will probably be on the team. Everything also says that he is a legitimate talent. 15th best third line center with a shot for a heck of a lot of more is fine with me.

I also saw the Bruins play very well after Savard went down with his injury. I think, long-term, Seguin-Krejci-Bergeron is better than Seguin-Krejci-Savard. I am betting Seguin becomes a stud and Krejci will likely be better than Savard in the near future. Bergeron is a great third center option for a cup-contending team. So I also think we may as well move Savard now and get on with building chemistry.

I am not saying a one-for-one Seguin-Savard switch is going to make the B's better. It's an entire roster re-shuffling, a full year of Seidenberg, a different style of attack (Seguin's more up-tempo than Savard), a year of growth for key players like Bergy, Lucic, Stuart, Krejci, Wheeler, Rask, Hunwick, McQuaid. Also, if we trade Savard, we can get a guy in the million-1.5 million dollar range to add quality depth.

Finally, Thomas has no trade value right now. If we let him play during the season, as Rask's backup probably, he'll build value and someone is more likely to bite on him after having proved he can still play post-surgery. We'll get something back at that point. We won't now. Numerous reports have labeled Thomas immovable.
    In Response to Re: Help PC with Major Issues:
    Lots of words.  Not much logic. Playing a rookie while moving the B's best offensive player is supposed to make the B's "more competitive?"  Uh, no. "Seguin can hold his own in the NHL now."  Really?  Enlighten us with your observations of how Seguin has performed in his NHL career so far, would you? It's interesting how people who have no idea what they are talking about can state unequivically what Seguin "will" do"  while others still need another year or 2 out of Rask to prove he can handle the NHL. (NOTE: I think all rookies need to prove it over a couple of seasons, including Rask.) The tired logic for keeping a FIVE MILLION DOLLAR BACKUP golaie is that he's a "Vezina winner" continues to make me ill.  Please tell me what an undeserved trophy does to help stop pucks in 2011, please?  I do believe the B's need an NHL veteran to back up Rask while he continues to develop, but paying a mediocre pouter in the locker room $5M is just stupid. A thread started to explain cap management that concludes the best ideas are that a rookie makes the team more competitive, dumping the teams best offensive player, while keeping a $5M has-been backup is stuff for PC to laugh at.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Cap Geek just unveiled it's new cap calculator: http://bit.ly/d1e21d It's pretty cool to see what PC has ahead of him. Posted by Raskman

Just under 27Mil even after PC extends Chara and Bergy PC will still probably have around 15-16Mil to spend. Factor in Thomas possibly being gone take like 3Mil back in that trade...Meh if only Kovalchuk could sign a 1 year in the KHL then...dreams...nevermind...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbruin4. Show mrbruin4's posts

Devils  advocate  PC can simply let seguin play  10 games in nhl and send him back to ohl for rest of year if need be. (HE WONT BUT HE CAN) 

Someone will get traded or demoted 1. Ryder 2. TT 3 SAVVY
    I don't think B's go to final without a healthy Savard

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

All i know is this- the Bruins had one of greatest collapses in hockey history, where character and heart were questioned. Aside from getting lucky enough to draft Seguin (who I refuse to pin my hopes on just yet), the only thing the club has done is-  bring in another player w/ questionable character/heart (Horton), another AHL goon (Reich), and exchanged Begin for (Campbell). R we saying Horton is the missing link? Sorry but that doesn't exactly inspire me. The choke job was completely unacceptable and we still have the same cast of characters, w/ the exception of Wideman, who ironically may have been their best playoff performer. I don't get it. There is still major major work to be done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Lucic Krejci  Horton

Caron Bergeron Recchi 

Paille Seguin Wheeler

Marchand Campbell Thornton

And if Toronto finishes in the bottom five, the B's will have two lottery picks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I'd like them to ease Seguin into things this year.  Play him at wing.  Playing the role of 3rd line - shutdown - center is a lot to ask of any rookie...let alone an 18 year old kid.  I would like them to hold on to Savard....at least for one more season then see what happens. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from chitownBruinfan. Show chitownBruinfan's posts

All i know is this- the Bruins had one of greatest collapses in hockey history, where character and heart were questioned. Aside from getting lucky enough to draft Seguin (who I refuse to pin my hopes on just yet), the only thing the club has done is-  bring in another player w/ questionable character/heart (Horton), another AHL goon (Reich), and exchanged Begin for (Campbell). R we saying Horton is the missing link? Sorry but that doesn't exactly inspire me. The choke job was completely unacceptable and we still have the same cast of characters, w/ the exception of Wideman, who ironically may have been their best playoff performer. I don't get it. There is still major major work to be done.
    Posted by brandonboys1

this pretty much sums it up. it looks like savard will get traded for draft picks to clear room for wheeler and sequin. looks like a long low scoring season ahead. my guess is julien is made the scape goat about 40 games in. so its not all bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

In Response to Re: Help PC with Major Issues : this pretty much sums it up. it looks like savard will get traded for draft picks to clear room for wheeler and sequin. looks like a long low scoring season ahead. my guess is julien is made the scape goat about 40 games in. so its not all bad.
    Posted by chitownBruinfan

Who's Sequin? And they don't need to trade Savard to make room.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlackandGold24. Show BlackandGold24's posts

According to capgeek: If the Bruins were to sign Wheeler to about 2.5 cap hit, and Seguin's $900,000 (bonuses will count towards next year's cap), then they can keep all of their players they have now, and have $662,229 in cap space after Sturm's LTIR. Once Sturm returns, if Ryder is producing, they can trade someone for draft picks. If not, they can stick Ryder in Providence leaving them with $1,162,229 for an extra forward or d-man.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Posted by brandonboys1

The problem here is that you are completely contradicting yourself.  If it was a huge collapse and a choke job, then you must have believed they were good enough to succeed.  If not, they would just be losses.

So, if you believed they were good enough to succeed last season, and the team subtracts a questionable defenseman while adding a goal scoring winger, wouldn't you then consider it to have been a good off-season so far?

There are 20 guys dressed to play an NHL game, 12 forwards, six defensemen, two goaltenders.  Add a seventh defeseman or a spare forward and you have 21.

Gone:  Wideman, Begin, Sobotka and Satan.

20% of the team will be different.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's the middle of July.  There are a couple of days between now and training camp.  Probably another deal or two will be made.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

To me getting rid of Thomas is the long term answer.  This is Ryder's last year.  He might score some big goals for us and next year he will free up some cap space anyways. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I like the NAS lineup somewhat, but why Paille with Seguin except for his skating. Old stone hands has always been able to skate, but little finish. What happens with ryder and Savard?? NAS you are pulling our chain again even though there is more speed there except for Thornton and Recchi. whatever, capgeek has some unusual number combos, which seem to say that if CHIA signs Wheels for $2.2 and Seguin for .9 , he will be 3.4 over the cap, with Sturm on IR [ 3.5]. Obviously, if CHIA's comments can be accepted, he will make some moves before October

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from brandonboys1. Show brandonboys1's posts

In Response to Re: Help PC with Major Issues : The problem here is that you are completely contradicting yourself.  If it was a huge collapse and a choke job, then you must have believed they were good enough to succeed.  If not, they would just be losses. So, if you believed they were good enough to succeed last season, and the team subtracts a questionable defenseman while adding a goal scoring winger, wouldn't you then consider it to have been a good off-season so far? There are 20 guys dressed to play an NHL game, 12 forwards, six defensemen, two goaltenders.  Add a seventh defeseman or a spare forward and you have 21. Gone:  Wideman, Begin, Sobotka and Satan. 20% of the team will be different. Aaaaaaaaaaaand it's the middle of July.  There are a couple of days between now and training camp.  Probably another deal or two will be made.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Yes good enough to succeed, but didn't. I'll take results over potential anyday and nothing tells me the moves thus far will equal better results. Yes, i will reserve judgement til training camp, but just not inspired right now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I like the NAS lineup somewhat, but why Paille with Seguin except for his skating. Old stone hands has always been able to skate, but little finish. What happens with ryder and Savard?? NAS you are pulling our chain again even though there is more speed there except for Thornton and Recchi. whatever, capgeek has some unusual number combos, which seem to say that if CHIA signs Wheels for $2.2 and Seguin for .9 , he will be 3.4 over the cap, with Sturm on IR [ 3.5]. Obviously, if CHIA's comments can be accepted, he will make some moves before October
    Posted by Bogie6

That was copied from above.  If the B's roll that out, they'll finish with a lottery pick!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Help PC with Major Issues : Who's Sequin? And they don't need to trade Savard to make room.
    Posted by BlackandGold24

He's the sparkly guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

In Response to Re: Help PC with Major Issues : That was copied from above.  If the B's roll that out, they'll finish with a lottery pick!
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

That lineup produces more goals than last year's squad, no doubt. Plus the defense will be stronger with a full year of Seidenberg, a pay-day motivated Stuart, an maturation from guys like Boychuk, Hunwick and McQuaid. 

Also, factor in Sturm returning in mid-November which will bump down Caron and the bottom 6. 

Finally, and this is probably a topic for another thread, the Maple Leafs won't finish bottom 5 next year. They'v made some solid improvements and from February-onwards, were not a bad team last year.