History of the Boston Bruins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blackngold10. Show blackngold10's posts

History of the Boston Bruins

I watched this the other day.
    I get choked up everytime Bourque give Esposito his jersey.
    Best documentary of a Boston Sports team i have seen.

29 days in counting...can't come soon enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from damngood. Show damngood's posts

Re: History of the Boston Bruins

The Bruins had a rich and successful history complete with multiple Cups in the early 1970's then came a dark day in 1975 when Jeremy Jacobs purchased the club for a paltry $10 million dollars. Then came the slow and steady decline that has turned the Bruins into the Detroit Lions of the NHL. Truly sad. But hey at least we have the second most expensive ticket on average in the NHL. That is truly what matters most to the Jacobs family.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

SHUT THE FCK UP!
    the lions didn't win a game last year and the bruins were the 1 seed in the eastern conference, ya they didn't win the cup, the playoffs can be a cr*p shoot, they were unhealthy, unless it is your opinion that jacobs should invent some magic potion to keep all his players healthy then shut the fck up, jesus i am so sick of you guys that just can't get over this jacob nonsense, hes not a good guy but he has 0 effect on the team put on the ice, 0

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reilly24. Show Reilly24's posts

In Response to Re: History of the Boston Bruins:
    [QUOTE]The Bruins had a rich and successful history complete with multiple Cups in the early 1970's then came a dark day in 1975 when Jeremy Jacobs purchased the club for a paltry $10 million dollars. Then came the slow and steady decline that has turned the Bruins into the Detroit Lions of the NHL. Truly sad. But hey at least we have the second most expensive ticket on average in the NHL. That is truly what matters most to the Jacobs family.
    Posted by damngood[/QUOTE]

You seemed to have forgotten the early 90s when the Bruins were one of the best teams in the league and just missed the cup a couple of times. There was the almost 30 years straight in the playoffs. Just get over yourself cause you are an embarrassment to the real Bruin fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

dkrejci46 is spot on.

I'm no fan of Jacobs, but this obsession some "fans" have with him is beyond ridiculous and into ludicrous. The only time I ever even think of the guy is when I come on this board and see people complain about him. There is a salary cap. The Bruins SPEND TO THE CAP. If they spent millions less, THEN you might have a complaint. If you want to complain about ticket prices, feel free. Complaining about the construction of the team is just plain stupid.

The product on the ice - and you might note, if you watched a game or two, that the Bruins are the defending Eastern Conference champions, and with a healthy Krejci, Kessel, Ward, Savard, Hunwick, Sturm, Lucic, certainly had as good a chance as anyone to win last year's Stanley Cup - is an insanely good one. Do you have any idea how they're regarded around the league? Chara is the Norris Trophy champion and the most feared player in the NHL. Thomas won the Vezina. Julien was the top coach. Krejci is a budding superstar who's been compared to Yzerman. Savard is an all-star and probably the league's best play-maker. They had half-a-dozen players score 20+ goals. And you're comparing them to the Detroit Lions? What planet do you live on?

I don't get it. If people don't like the Bruins, or Jacobs, or Chiarelli, or whomever, WHY WASTE YOUR TIME?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well...there's a salary cap now, but there wasn't one for, say, all of Ray Bourque's career.  I think that's the period where the Jacobs bashers really found their niche.  They think that more liberal spending would have surrounded Bourque, Neely, Oates, and Moog with the talent to win it all.  And it's true that the Bruins moved guys when they demanded salaries that management thought too rich.  I argued this with a former Bruin once, and his position was that the Bruins consistently undervalued the guys they had.  You can look at Jason Allison or Dmitry Kristich or Joe Juneau and say they proved they weren't worth what they were asking because what did they do after they left Boston?  The player's position was "what would they have done if they'd stayed in a system and chemistry that helped them flourish?"  No way to know.

Also, some of these people "waste their time" because they like the Bruins but not the results - since about '72.  They're looking for an explanation for the 37 year drought, something other than "this is an extremely competitive sport where everything from injuries to a hot goaltender can turn the fortunes of any team, so even the best plans and the best players cannot guarantee a championship."  It's easier to say the coach is a moron, the GM smokes paint chips, and the owner is Mr. Burns than to confront the fact that the Bruins have come second to two or three of the most successful dynasties in the last 37 years.  Only the 4-straight Shabs were better in the late '70s (with former Bruins-property Dryden in net), only the 4 in 6 Oilers were better in the 80's (once with former Bruin Ranford in net), and only the back-to-back Mario Penguins were better in the 90s.  Hard to take.

The salary cap has actually helped the Bruins - though they've always had one called "Harry".  They've been all-but forced to stop treating prospects and the draft like afterthoughts and to stop trading away young players for higher-profile vets with bigger salaries (a la Ranford and Geoff Courtnall for Ranford or Smolinski and Murray for Kevin Stevens, etc.).  It has meant carefully planning the identity of the team, investing in key cornerstones, and building by developing players who fit the profile of the team.  They spent what they needed to to get Z and Savard, but other than that, the decision to spend has gone exactly as duinne says - they spend to the cap.  Turns out a salary cap is one way to minimize the impact of the money man on the product on the ice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockey-101. Show hockey-101's posts

In Response to History of the Boston Bruins:
    [QUOTE]I watched this the other day. I get choked up everytime Bourque give Esposito his jersey. Best documentary of a Boston Sports team i have seen. 29 days in counting...can't come soon enough.
    Posted by blackngold10[/QUOTE]
                       " IT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN MINE IN THE FIRST PLACE"

"THE CAP IS HERE BUT IF KESSEL GOES THE EGOS REMAIN." hockey101

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

[QUOTE]SHUT THE FCK UP! the lions didn't win a game last year and the bruins were the 1 seed in the eastern conference, ya they didn't win the cup, the playoffs can be a cr*p shoot, they were unhealthy, unless it is your opinion that jacobs should invent some magic potion to keep all his players healthy then shut the fck up, jesus i am so sick of you guys that just can't get over this jacob nonsense, hes not a good guy but he has 0 effect on the team put on the ice, 0
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

Hear hear!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefebvre33. Show Lefebvre33's posts

[QUOTE]SHUT THE FCK UP! the lions didn't win a game last year and the bruins were the 1 seed in the eastern conference, ya they didn't win the cup, the playoffs can be a cr*p shoot, they were unhealthy, unless it is your opinion that jacobs should invent some magic potion to keep all his players healthy then shut the fck up, jesus i am so sick of you guys that just can't get over this jacob nonsense, hes not a good guy but he has 0 effect on the team put on the ice, 0
    Posted by dkrejci46[/QUOTE]

I see Sheep Boy didn't like that LOL

Go take your ball and go home to mommys teet you crybaby homer

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

bluefox the point of this board is to argue with idiots.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

[QUOTE]Well...there's a salary cap now , but there wasn't one for, say, all of Ray Bourque's career.  I think that's the period where the Jacobs bashers really found their niche.  They think that more liberal spending would have surrounded Bourque, Neely, Oates, and Moog with the talent to win it all.  And it's true that the Bruins moved guys when they demanded salaries that management thought too rich.  I argued this with a former Bruin once, and his position was that the Bruins consistently undervalued the guys they had.  You can look at Jason Allison or Dmitry Kristich or Joe Juneau and say they proved they weren't worth what they were asking because what did they do after they left Boston?  The player's position was "what would they have done if they'd stayed in a system and chemistry that helped them flourish?"  No way to know. Also, some of these people "waste their time" because they like the Bruins but not the results - since about '72.  They're looking for an explanation for the 37 year drought, something other than "this is an extremely competitive sport where everything from injuries to a hot goaltender can turn the fortunes of any team, so even the best plans and the best players cannot guarantee a championship."  It's easier to say the coach is a moron, the GM smokes paint chips, and the owner is Mr. Burns than to confront the fact that the Bruins have come second to two or three of the most successful dynasties in the last 37 years.  Only the 4-straight Shabs were better in the late '70s (with former Bruins-property Dryden in net), only the 4 in 6 Oilers were better in the 80's (once with former Bruin Ranford in net), and only the back-to-back Mario Penguins were better in the 90s.  Hard to take. The salary cap has actually helped the Bruins - though they've always had one called "Harry".  They've been all-but forced to stop treating prospects and the draft like afterthoughts and to stop trading away young players for higher-profile vets with bigger salaries (a la Ranford and Geoff Courtnall for Ranford or Smolinski and Murray for Kevin Stevens, etc.).  It has meant carefully planning the identity of the team, investing in key cornerstones, and building by developing players who fit the profile of the team.  They spent what they needed to to get Z and Savard, but other than that, the decision to spend has gone exactly as duinne says - they spend to the cap.  Turns out a salary cap is one way to minimize the impact of the money man on the product on the ice.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    and don't forget the Flyers. bernie parent was Bruins property