HNIC'S GLENN HEALY SAYS BRUINS' DRESSING ROOM IS "POISONED."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

HNIC'S GLENN HEALY SAYS BRUINS' DRESSING ROOM IS "POISONED."

Did anyone else just watch HNIC's second period intermission feature involving host Ron McLean, hockey writer Pierre LeBrun, Mike Milbury and for NHLer, now HNIC colour commentator Glenn Healy.  Milbury had finished talking about the brutal performance of the Bruins last Thursday against the Pens.  McLean instructs Healy to comment on the game and he states the Bruin dressing room "has been poisoned all year."  McLean asks him to clarrify his comment to which Healy hesitates for a moment then says "the wrong names are on the backs of some sweaters."  Is he making obvious references to Ryder, Wideman etc. or does anyone think he's referring to some early-season rumblings regarding an umpopular position Ference took with the NHLPA.  (I can't quite remember all the details on it but perhaps someone else can.)   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Re: HNIC'S GLENN HEALY SAYS BRUINS' DRESSING ROOM IS "POISONED."

He maybe right or he maybe wrong but either way Healey is the biggest idiot on TV.  I really thought that Burke was going to drop him during the lockout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roosevelt45. Show Roosevelt45's posts

I watched it too. It was obvious that Healey was not willing to further explain what he meant. Given the reactions (or lack of) of the Boston bench when Cooke hit Savard, he may be right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Well, if he said name's, then its not just one person.  And I agree with him, the teams not right.  Anyone who has half a brain can tell there's some chemistry issues with this team.

There could still be deep resentment over the Kelly firing.  Ference was part of the process but not the sole contributor.  He just helped take statements and submitted them to the Players Association.  I do know the vote went down with little or no input from or notification of the Bruins players.  And when you have a man on the inside, it's human nature to expect you'll be kept in the know.  Maybe it was considered a betrayal of sorts, a respect thing.  Thats how I see it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I agree there is something wrong and missing in the Bruins dressing room....but you've got to be kidding me if it is because of Ference and the Kelly fiasco???

If that is indeed the case...THE WHOLE TEAM NEEDS AN ENEMA!!! Start getting rid of everyone. They don't deserve to be here. Let them count there money in another town!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GutlessChara. Show GutlessChara's posts

In Response to Re: HNIC'S GLENN HEALY SAYS BRUINS' DRESSING ROOM IS "POISONED.":
    I agree there is something wrong and missing in the Bruins dressing room....but you've got to be kidding me if it is because of Ference and the Kelly fiasco??? If that is indeed the case...THE WHOLE TEAM NEEDS AN ENEMA!!! Start getting rid of everyone. They don't deserve to be here. Let them count there money in another town!
    Posted by Wheatskins

Start with the exHab tiro Claude and his two boyfriends Ryder and Begin - both these guys have stink all over them and yet seem to be Claude's boys

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

1.) The problems started at the very beginning of the season with the firing of Kelly..especially the way it was done...and the high fiving and celebrating at 2 am.  Bruins players--pretty much all of them---gave Ference the silent treatment or chewed him out. This created a major rift in the Locker Room.

2.) Things got worse following the slow start THEN the key injuries to key players.

3.) Ryder and Wideman falling off the deep end into hockey abyss worsened the situation internally.

4.) Claude Julien refusing to crack down on the players lackadaisical effort --then singling out one person  while giving a free pass to at least 7 underachievers--did NOT make things better..it only made it worse. Especially when ONE of those free pass players was "his boy" Michael Ryder.

5.)Rumors of problems related to the Thomas/Rask situation.  Apparently Timmy doens't like it when things don't go his way (can't confirm this one, though, only HEARD)

6.) With all this happening, the Bruins jettisoning so much CHARACTER--  (Ward/Hnidy/Axelsson/Kobasew, etc) came back to bite them. Chara is a really nice player and a leader ON the ice, but he is NOT a locker room presence.   That void was filled by others last year and the year before.

Now you have a team that lacks locker room leadership and a coach who is a "teacher"--not a disciplinarian or a charasmatic leader.

Thats how we got from last year--to THIS year

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

Say what you want about this team but there is definately some underlying problem here in that these guys rarely stick up for each other .. If there is some resentment toward an issue of the past, it is the coaches responsbility to identify and rectify that so they can get on with things.. I'm sorry to keep pounding away at Julien because I truly believes that he believes in what he is doing is right but if you take an objective look at his latest moves and/or lack thereof, he is messing up bigtime too.. None of us will ever really know what goes on behind closed doors and if these guys like or hate each other but it's certainly evident that there is a chemistry problem on the ice.. and why 9 as stated previously) would Julien continue to play Ryder and Begin as much as he does is defies common sense ... He may not have as many options to choose from and that points the finger at Chiarelli's choices..  I have heard Glenn Healy on occasion but don't put much stock in his observations.. many of these color guys are trying to either make names for themselves as a means of shameless self promotion or say things to prompt reaction... ( maybe both) .. I'd have more confidence in any of their opinions if they induced some FACTS with their observations.. Seems that many of them don't let the lack of facts stop them from forming and stating opinions...   Just my opiono based on my observation/s...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

6.) With all this happening, the Bruins jettisoning so much CHARACTER--  (Ward/Hnidy/Axelsson/Kobasew, etc) came back to bite them. Chara is a really nice player and a leader ON the ice, but he is NOT a locker room presence.   That void was filled by others last year and the year before.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupportLocal81. Show SupportLocal81's posts

In Response to Re: HNIC'S GLENN HEALY SAYS BRUINS' DRESSING ROOM IS "POISONED.":
    Say what you want about this team but there is definately some underlying problem here in that these guys rarely stick up for each other .. If there is some resentment toward an issue of the past, it is the coaches responsbility to identify and rectify that so they can get on with things.. I'm sorry to keep pounding away at Julien because I truly believes that he believes in what he is doing is right but if you take an objective look at his latest moves and/or lack thereof, he is messing up bigtime too.. None of us will ever really know what goes on behind closed doors and if these guys like or hate each other but it's certainly evident that there is a chemistry problem on the ice.. and why 9 as stated previously) would Julien continue to play Ryder and Begin as much as he does is defies common sense ... He may not have as many options to choose from and that points the finger at Chiarelli's choices..  I have heard Glenn Healy on occasion but don't put much stock in his observations.. many of these color guys are trying to either make names for themselves as a means of shameless self promotion or say things to prompt reaction... ( maybe both) .. I'd have more confidence in any of their opinions if they induced some FACTS with their observations.. Seems that many of them don't let the lack of facts stop them from forming and stating opinions...   Just my opiono based on my observation/s...
    Posted by SupportLocal81

So my typing skills need improvement too !  Try typing with these sausage fingers and you'd have the same problem..LOL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

bergeron for captaincy next season, book it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogwhacker. Show dogwhacker's posts

Shaunk, there is no bigger Bergy fan than me. And he deserves to be Captain.

But that wil NOT address the Locker Room issues. Bergy may be the only guy on the team who is QUIETER than Chara.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I really don't care what the press says, the bruins are going to come out and win today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Posted by wallydouglas

I think people are missing the point about these 'character players'.  It is not so much these particular players, but that character players in general are missing.  At the beginning of the season I felt that the players skill was an upgrade to what they had, but certainly character was not a consideration.  It would have been OK if those replacements kept playing better, but their careers have crumbled.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Shaunk, there is no bigger Bergy fan than me. And he deserves to be Captain. But that wil NOT address the Locker Room issues. Bergy may be the only guy on the team who is QUIETER than Chara.
    Posted by dogwhacker

I agree....I love Bergeron and he does a great job of leading by example but this team needs a vocal and emotional leader...and unfortunately we might not have that guy in our locker room.  I made a recent post about Lucic role but it is more of a thought then a realistic solution.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

Ference the problem, give me a break. He was the focal point of the best game the B's played last year against the stars. He actualy sticks up for his teammates. If the locker room sees him as a problem this locker room is worse than I think. I think the Paul Kelley firing is a gong show from ther NHL perspective but I don't think this has the power to form a rift in any NHL dressing room. The problem is the B's got rid of all their grit. They need a guy like Ryan Kesler who has been reported to be a real ticket in the dressing room. When he gets bored he fights his teammates in practice & gets in people's faces when they chicken out or don't produce. I heard the sisters ( the Sedins )are scared of him. Bring in a Keseler type who resembles a Mark Messier.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scotland19. Show scotland19's posts

In addition to Healy's inferences, there have been reports on Toronto sports radio stations from "sources" that Tim Thomas is not well received in the Bruins room because he jabbers all the time. One quote repeated, allegedly from a Bruins player, is that Thomas was told to "shut the f*** up and stop the puck once in a while"
    No exactly a warm and fuzzy comment. Has anyone heard more about this?
    Also, if Tukka Toskala keeps giving up one or two softies per game it will be a sad end to the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from looch65. Show looch65's posts

Obviously Begin who broke a bone in Savards back the prior season, im sure that didn't sit well when he was brought into the room.

Too many guys making too much money and not being held accountable in the least by Clode. (Wideman, Ryder) come to mind...

John Buccigross also claimed Tim Thomas wasn't very amiable to being told he wasn't going to be the full time starter all the time and he had selfish streaks

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Glen Healy wouldn't elaborate because he has nothing to back it up. How would he have any knowledge he doesn't cover the Bruins day in and day out. With in between shows like that producers from the network that there working for tell them to stir the pot with comments like that.

That comment could be true but I doubt Glenn knows anything. I'd look to James Murphy, Fluto or Bish's blog for backup on that comment like that. Leadership and locker room loud mouths can do nothing when a team, in any sport, just plain isn't playing well and we know the Bruins have been inconsistent all year.  Undecided

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Dogwhacker's summary is pretty plausible.  I wonder if Kessel has been as much of a wedge issue in that locker room as it's been on this board.  If, say, Recchi and Savard differ in their reaction to the Kessel trade as much as marco1001 and I, it would explain a lot because the team was iced from the get-go this year.  The only common enemy that pulls them together is the Hurricanes.  The PA debacle didn't help, but it can't be more than one grievance among many.

The point about CJ playing favorites might extend to the perception that Begin is a lockerroom snitch.  And the 'his boy' thing goes beyond Ryder; in short, it looks like the guys who've been given a pass are the guys who've been given contracts, so Mgmt has to give them a chance to prove they're the right guys.  Looks bad if you give Lucic a $4M/yr extension then bench him whether for injury or not.  Looks bad having some of these guys on the ice a lot of nights.

I also wonder about the room getting clique-y.  Wheeler and Kessel were friends even though it seemed like others weren't Kessel's friends (from their reactions to the negotiations and the deal).  Bergeron and Begin are acquaintances.  Chara and Satan are friends.  Seidenberg and Sturm can take 15 minutes to say "pass me that roll of black tape" in German.  

The only thing I don't put much weight on is the report that Thomas was told to shut up and stop the puck.  That's a result of a struggling team with a bad room, not a cause. Even at the low levels I've played at, I recognize the guy who always has a suggestion to improve someone else's game who has a blind spot for his own weaknesses. When the season's slipping away, there's always someone who snaps and tells the guy off.

I have no idea what "the wrong names are on the backs of some sweaters" means.  Does that simply mean that they kept the wrong guys?  So in that case, who does Heatley think should have gone because they couldn't keep everyone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Oh, and I continue to wonder about Recchi.  Getting him out was a flagstone on Pittsburgh's road to the Cup because he clashed with Crosby and others.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I believe that there is truth to this.  I have theories.  Here are the factors I consider.

1) Hard to believe it is TT or any goalie for that matter.  I'll just say that the most likely player to be ignored on any team I've ever been on is the goalie.  They can have as enormous ego as they want, but it is impossible to play "selfishly" as a goalie.  You might tell them to shut the f up for any one of a million reasons.  You can relieve some tension against them by shooting at them in practice.

2) If I were a player I would be really really ticked at Ference.  We'll see which union reps get re-elected.

3) Julien doesn't single out people who are making mistakes.  Everyone is treated equally.

4) Julien is lost and unconfident.  You see it in the press conferences.  He's got his boy who's underperforming (Ryder).  That cannot inspire confidence, and anyone who takes a lead associates with the dazed and confused CJ, and I don't see anyone who could associate with CJ AND keep everyone's respect.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

It was interesting to see when Ron McLean asked  Healy to expand all he could come back with is " names on the back of the jerseys"  how this guy who doesn't cover the bruins on a daily basis would have any idea that the room is poisoned is beyond me.. the only guy that I know he has a bone to pick with on the Bruins is Ference who led the crusade to get Healy and Kelly fired.. and I don't believe that has led to any division in the dressing room .. If outside issues such as that have somehow infiltrated the room then the Bruins have more serious problems internally than just on the ice..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It was interesting to see when Ron McLean asked  Healy to expand all he could come back with is " names on the back of the jerseys"  how this guy who doesn't cover the bruins on a daily basis would have any idea that the room is poisoned is beyond me.. the only guy that I know he has a bone to pick with on the Bruins is Ference who led the crusade to get Healy and Kelly fired.. and I don't believe that has led to any division in the dressing room .. If outside issues such as that have somehow infiltrated the room then the Bruins have more serious problems internally than just on the ice..
    Posted by cowboys9

Agree totally with you although we all know there is a problem .  It can't be they completely no-show on thursday like that. Really !
    Management this summer will have either fire Julien or change 4-5 players that are problems.  Maybe more players but that never happens.
    Healy is a clown although he's guessing like all the rest of us. Too easy.
    At the end of the season and/or elimination of the playoffs there will be some leaks coming out of the dressing room and we'll have a better idea of the problem.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichmondHillOntario. Show RichmondHillOntario's posts

That expression of a club having a "go-to" guy, someone who has a respected presence that suggests he's the one to lead the way, either by example or verbally holding teammates accountable, who is that person for our team?  I thought is was supposed to be Chara, especially since he's captain.   

Sections
Shortcuts