Horton close to being a Bruin?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Horton close to being a Bruin?

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/bruins-closing-in-on-panthers-winger-nathan-horton.html

I apologize if it's been posted already.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Horton close to being a Bruin?

Oh my GOD ! ! ! !  I love Nathan Horton but please not against Wheeler ...Savard ok + our no15 pick and Wideman but not Wheel ...nooooooooooooooooo

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Purely speculation on my part:

To Boston: Horton + #3
    To Florida: Bergeron + Wheeler + #15

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrosephStalin. Show BrosephStalin's posts

In Response to Re: Horton close to being a Bruin?:
    Oh my GOD ! ! ! !  I love Nathan Horton but please not against Wheeler ...Savard ok + our no15 pick and Wideman but not Wheel ...nooooooooooooooooo
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011

Why do I constatnly get the feeling Stanley has uncomfortable thoughts about Blake?

I mean it's cool you like him but, come on, no h0m0 bro

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I think he's better than Ryder. They make the same money, and although he has underachieved, here are some stats to throw out:

Horton(422 Games): 142G 153A 295PTS +27
    Ryder (470 Games): 144G 149A 293PTS +7

Now let's project Horton's stats if he played the same number of games as Ryder.
    Horton (470 Games): 158G 170A 328PTS +30

Other Notes:
    -He is bigger and stronger than Ryder
    -He has played on much worse teams than Ryder (Ryder has had the luxury of playing with some very good players in both Boston and Montreal, whereas Horton has not).

I'm not saying this is a good or bad trade for the B's. But, I'm sure comparisons between him and Ryder will come up, and all I'm saying is that he's better than Ryder. Is he overpaid? Yes. Is he better statistically than Ryder? Yes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

what would the b's have to give up to acquire both Horton and Flo's first?....  other than Rask, Lucic, Krejci & Colbourne, anyone could be had imo....  still, i'd be very surprised to see Dale Tallon trade an early first rounder after having just seen the team he built win the cup....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrosephStalin. Show BrosephStalin's posts

I like the "he's an underachiever but a way better one" argument the thing is why would Florida take Ryder? Isn't that just the same s*** different name?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I didn't say Florida would take Ryder.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrosephStalin. Show BrosephStalin's posts

My mistake. Valid argument though...I also happen to like Horton. Way more upside than Ryder

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BattlingB. Show BattlingB's posts

I wonder if it could be something like Wideman and say one of our 2nds for Horton.
    Don't forget that the Hawks were also built from the back line up with Keith, Campbell, Seabrook as puck movers.  They have Kulikov who's a nice young D man and if they added Wideman (AND he played like he did in the post-season) that would help them.
    They could then use the #3 pick on someone like Connolly to put the puck in the net for them.
    Dollars are about the same so that fits too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I wonder if it could be something like Wideman and say one of our 2nds for Horton. Don't forget that the Hawks were also built from the back line up with Keith, Campbell, Seabrook as puck movers.  They have Kulikov who's a nice young D man and if they added Wideman (AND he played like he did in the post-season) that would help them. They could then use the #3 pick on someone like Connolly to put the puck in the net for them. Dollars are about the same so that fits too.
    Posted by BattlingB

Looks good to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I wonder if it could be something like Wideman and say one of our 2nds for Horton. Don't forget that the Hawks were also built from the back line up with Keith, Campbell, Seabrook as puck movers.  They have Kulikov who's a nice young D man and if they added Wideman (AND he played like he did in the post-season) that would help them. They could then use the #3 pick on someone like Connolly to put the puck in the net for them. Dollars are about the same so that fits too.
    Posted by BattlingB

Just thinking the same thing. They need BOTH offensive and defensive help. Wideman could soften to a degree (although not fully stop) their defensive struggles, while drafting BC at #3 would eliminate the need to take Fowler or Gudbranson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I'm not very familiar with Horton. Could anyone please provide some insight/analysis of his game please? Strengths? Areas for improvement/weaknesses?

It seems from looking at his stats, that, although he looks to be overpaid, and not reached the potential for a former 3rd overall pick, that he's a good (not great) player on a terrible team without a lot of offensive help. It also seems that if you'd put him on a team with better players/nucleus that he would be a potential 30ish goal scorer and have around 65-70 points.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Raskman. Show Raskman's posts

Throw him on Savard's wing and his point total will go up without issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Why would you trade Bergeron for Horton? I would never do that. Bergeron is a good 2-way player and is a hard worker. Horton is lazy & an an underachiever. I'm not a big fan of Horton. He has talent but no work ethic at all.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Why would you trade Bergeron for Horton? I would never do that. Bergeron is a good 2-way player and is a hard worker. Horton is lazy & an an underachiever. I'm not a big fan of Horton. He has talent but no work ethic at all.
    Posted by lordy4

That was pure speculation on my part on a scenario of what it would take to get Horton + #3 .... not saying it should be done. I consider Tallon to be a smart GM, and think that Bergeron is the kind of player he would value .... just look at that Hawks lineup.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

I live in south Florida and having seeing lots of Horton I'm not overly excited about him being a Bruin until I see what goes to Florida in return.  He's a big kid who can play physical but is injury prone and at some times comes off as a individual on the ice.  He has recently had lots of problems with the coaching staff down here going as far as to physically go after an assistant coach.  Who knows if its all part of the frustration of playing for a bad team, but I wouldn't want to gamble too much.  His contract is pretty large so I have no idea what we would be sending back to Florida.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I live in south Florida and having seeing lots of Horton I'm not overly excited about him being a Bruin until I see what goes to Florida in return.  He's a big kid who can play physical but is injury prone and at some times comes off as a individual on the ice.  He has recently had lots of problems with the coaching staff down here going as far as to physically go after an assistant coach.  Who knows if its all part of the frustration of playing for a bad team, but I wouldn't want to gamble too much.  His contract is pretty large so I have no idea what we would be sending back to Florida.   
    Posted by TuukkainNet

Honestly, that's 100x more emotion than the current Bruins showed this season.  I would be okay with that.  As for him being physical, they say he hasn't been the same since Anthony Stewart gave it to him good in the OHL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Purely speculation on my part: To Boston: Horton + #3 To Florida: Bergeron + Wheeler + #15
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! Trade your best all-around player for a younger version of Michael Ryder. SUPER!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

In Response to Re: Horton close to being a Bruin? : That was pure speculation on my part on a scenario of what it would take to get Horton + #3 .... not saying it should be done. I consider Tallon to be a smart GM, and think that Bergeron is the kind of player he would value .... just look at that Hawks lineup.
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I'll tell you right now, as KD and Fluto pointed out earlier this month, EVERY GM in the NHL values Patrice Bergeron. The problem is getting fair value in return. Every team is looking to make a profit and i think the best deal are the one's you sometimes don't make.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Horton close to being a Bruin? : Yeah, that sounds like a great idea! Trade your best all-around player for a younger version of Michael Ryder. SUPER!
    Posted by xenimus

Like I already mentioned, pure speculation on my part of what it would take to get Horton + #3, and not saying it should be done .... And you don't think #3 will be a good player (who also comes with an entry level cap hit, which is an additional asset if said player is good)?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

From watching Horton mostly only against the Bruins, I don't want him if we give up a lot to get him.  One game he will be unreal, but then the next 5 times you watch him you wouldn't even know he was playing.  His work ethic has been questioned like crazy.  I don't know why they would give up on Kessel for those same reasons and then trade for Horton a year later.  It would be interesting to see the full rumoured deal before decided on it though.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-of-Smeg. Show Bruins-of-Smeg's posts

From watching Horton mostly only against the Bruins, I don't want him if we give up a lot to get him.  One game he will be unreal, but then the next 5 times you watch him you wouldn't even know he was playing.  His work ethic has been questioned like crazy.  I don't know why they would give up on Kessel for those same reasons and then trade for Horton a year later.  It would be interesting to see the full rumoured deal before decided on it though.
    Posted by derrickmorin

As I was reading the posts here that is exactly what I was thinking. Why trade to get a player who has the same work ethic as Kessel. If we didn't want it last year why trade to get it this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Horton close to being a Bruin? :  As I was reading the posts here that is exactly what I was thinking. Why trade to get a player who has the same work ethic as Kessel. If we didn't want it last year why trade to get it this year.
    Posted by Bruins-of-Smeg

The problem with the whole theory is that I don't think any of us have watched enough Panthers games to determine how the kid plays.  Maybe Tukinnet because he's apparently from the region, but the rest of us are going with "they say...". 

No way can he be as bad as Kessel.  At least Horton will finish a check instead of peeling away from the puck carrier.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

In Response to Re: Horton close to being a Bruin? : Like I already mentioned, pure speculation on my part of what it would take to get Horton + #3, and not saying it should be done .... And you don't think #3 will be a good player (who also comes with an entry level cap hit, which is an additional asset if said player is good)?
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

If this speculation that you present turns out to be true, do you then draft BC over Gudbranson or Fowler since you didn't include someone like Wideman or Ference in the package?

Sections
Shortcuts