How can Oilers not pick Hall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

How can Oilers not pick Hall?

I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it needed it's own thread so it wouldn't be hidden somewhere else . Good read for posters interested in the draft and what the Oilers could be possibly thinking on who they will draft . Good points either way on picking Seguin or Hall . I still lean towards Hall regardless of the criticism of him being reckless and putting himself in danger of getting injured. That part of his game is what makes him so dynamic . Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't. Seguin is getting better and who knows how good he'll get.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/05/19/14014016.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall?

Thats a good article. Seems like the pressure on the Oilers to pick Hall is too much to even think about Seguin. 

Im a Seguin guy all the way. If the Bruins get Hall it would be great but I would prefer Seguin.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Good article.  I think it's win-win for the Bruins.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I completely agree with that article .... Hall's a winner, thus Edmonton will be under a lot of pressure to pick him.

I think that the Oilers coach, Pat Quinn, might also have a say in who he would prefer, and I think Hall's his type of player.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

Both players will be great.

Oilers will pick Hall, but I actually think that Seguin is a better fit for them given the makeup of their team.

I also think Hall would be a better fit for the Bruins who desparately need some consistent scoring from the wings.

Can't lose either way, but Hall appears a bit more reckless in his play so you'd hope he learns to keep his head up as he's not overly big.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bear-in-the-woods. Show bear-in-the-woods's posts

woo woo woo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

If the Bruins need the winger Taylor Hall they should go out and get him. (Chara or Savard for Souray and Edmonton's #1 Pick) (Yea. That's what I said) . If it is all the same to them, well then yea, pick 2nd..

One thing that has come out of this year's campaign (about the weirdest one I've ever witnessed) is that I think now, Chiarelli will have the understanding and support of this fanbase for bold or even, radical changes. I don't think anyone would be surprised or disappointed by a bit of fire and initiative from the Front Office. 'The Collapse' at the very least, bought Chiarelli this.

In my opinion, regardless of what this Playoffs did or didn't teach the Bruins, Leadership is lacking at all levels. Chiarelli was out-GMed by Holmgren. Julien was out-coached by Laviolette and Chara was WAY out-captained by Richards.

Chiarelli has some hard decisions to make - harder than he is letting on - and I'm not sure it's in his DNA but, at this point, no Bruins fan should fault him for a coupla necessary dare-to-be-great decisions.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Interesting thoughts, Awry.  I agree completely re: the licence to make changes.  I thought the regular season in all it's weirdness would provoke a bloodletting, and the Collapse counters any good will the first-round and a half of success generated.

I'm not sure I agree that Chiarelli was "out-GMed" by Holmgren so much as out-lucked.  Holmgren gambled by getting Pronger even though that meant going with high-risk retreads in net.  That didn't work until the last game of the year, and then the dice started coming up 7s - Boucher hit a hot streak, then the game where he gets injured is the first game Leighton - a guy they get on waivers from one of the worst teams in the league - is back. Give him credit for bringing in Laviolette, too, but he's lucky that his goalies have found lightning in a bottle. 

Chiarelli got lucky in signing Satan, in signing Boychuk, and in not dealing for the top wingers available at the deadline, particularly Ponikarovsky and Torres who ended up as fourth-liners.  Hard to really lay blame on the GM when his top centre is just back from a 2 month concussion lay-off and 1A gets broken.  This team is built around strength up the middle and by the end the middle was Bergeron, a shadow of Savard, Sobotka (no goals since the fall of the Berlin Wall) and Whitfield.  I guess he's to blame for not having better replacements in the system than Whitfield, but it's pretty hard to roast him for that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

The oilers can not pick hall based solely on if all things are equal centers are worth more then wings.. 8 of the top ten scorers are centers.. Ovechkin plays the exact game I think you want from a wing, (some power fowawrd, pure shooter) and gets alot of crap for not finding the open guy like crosby will.. Typically that is not the position of a wing, but of a center..

The oilers need Centers more then a wing.. but it really comes down to if they believe the players are equal, if so I think they hav to take the center...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

The Eberle-Hall connection also adds to Edmonton's pressure. Bruins do not need sweeping changes. Some cap-conscious changes will help and continuing building from w/ in. Saying we need leadership is one thing, acquiring it is another.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

'Bookboy' Holmgren put together a really good team. By design. Goaltending?  Yea. Ray Emory was a...bold mistake.
     But, judging by what I've seen so far, of Peter Chiarelli's 'bold', I'm not so sure we've seen the last of Ponikarovsky and Torres. Their names sound a lot like Ryder and Begin to me. One man's streaky 4th Liner seems to be Pete's sweet music.
    I keep waiting for Chiarelli's 'Legacy' move. I'm not looking for 'sweeping changes', but if there ever was an off-season with nowhere to go but up, an off-season for one or two 'destiny' decisions, this one's it. This Draft, this kid Hall already constitutes as one bold move, Chiarelli, with the Kessel trade is halfway through this one and might just need to help it along a bit (see Chara or Savard for Souray and #1).

Not a 'rebuild' I say.....call it... 'reno', say...a new kitchen, maybe update the bathrooms. This is me, quickly exiting this metaphor.

Go Pete Go!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Well, that's the gist here, isn't it?  Bold vs. Gamble.  Holmgren's whole plan of attack centred on being able to patch goaltending together.  If Boucher doesn't hit one of his once-every-eighteen-months hot streaks, and if Carolina doesn't put Leighton on waivers, and if Leighton isn't ready to return from injury in game 5, Holmgren is probably getting ripped for missing the playoffs or getting bounced because he made the classic Philly GM mistake of not investing in goaltending.

The other side of having the motivation to make a legacy move is having the structure in place to back it up.  I don't think the Bruins have had that to this point.  Injuries have shown how thin this lineup can be because there's no depth yet.  But the depth is getting there.  And the time for a real "Legacy" move is when you think the opportunity to get a Pronger is worth the price, so you make the bold move and dam() the cost (doesn't have to be Pronger, but he's the guy who's been moved in this fashion lately).

As for how can the Oilers not pick Hall?  All it takes is a GM who thinks he's smarter than the average bear, who thinks "the public doesn't know what it wants", and who thinks his plan is the only one that will work.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyfan2010. Show hockeyfan2010's posts

Chara or Savard for Souray and #1 pick..lol....the always injured Souray(the injury proned Ference is nothing compared to souray)and a pilon on defense would be a joke,especially to give up either  Chara or Savard for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I

n Response to Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall?:

If the Bruins need the winger Taylor Hall they should go out and get him. (Chara or Savard for Souray and Edmonton's #1 Pick) (Yea. That's what I said) . If it is all the same to them, well then yea, pick 2nd.. One thing that has come out of this year's campaign (about the weirdest one I've ever witnessed) is that I think now, Chiarelli will have the understanding and support of this fanbase for bold or even, radical changes. I don't think anyone would be surprised or disappointed by a bit of fire and initiative from the Front Office. 'The Collapse' at the very least, bought Chiarelli this. In my opinion, regardless of what this Playoffs did or didn't teach the Bruins, Leadership is lacking at all levels. Chiarelli was out-GMed by Holmgren. Julien was out-coached by Laviolette and Chara was WAY out-captained by Richards. Chiarelli has some hard decisions to make - harder than he is letting on - and I'm not sure it's in his DNA but, at this point, no Bruins fan should fault him for a coupla necessary dare-to-be-great decisions.
    Posted by Awry

I know it's not right to rip on another poster for expressing their opinion, but...C'MON MAN, PULL YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOU A-$$! Seguin and Hall are so close it's not even funny, and you're suggesting that we surrender Chara or Savard so we get our "preference"? Are you on effing crack???!!

This is the dumbest post ever. Please stop abusing drugs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall?:
    I n Response to Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall? : I know it's not right to rip on another poster for expressing their opinion, but...C'MON MAN, PULL YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOU A-$$! Seguin and Hall are so close it's not even funny, and you're suggesting that we surrender Chara or Savard so we get our "preference"? Are you on effing crack???!! This is the dumbest post ever. Please stop abusing drugs.
    Posted by CHARAWINSTHENORRIS

Zillions of people are saying words to that effect.  Package up something to get the #1.  It's beyond drug abuse in my opinion.  It's like drug abuse, plus a mental disorder, plus dehydration and alcohol abuse.

I think these people are just working on kicking up the post draft arguements...  we should have got Hall, we should have got Seguin and we could have if...

Truth is it's going to take a MINIMUM of 3 years to see which one is even shaping up to be the better player, and they could still be 'tied' at that point.  Yet people want to spend to get one or the other.  Total Lunatics tripping their brains out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

With all the flash and dash Hall plays with and the fact he is playing for that talent laden Spitfires that has kept him in the eye of scrutiny will make it real tough for Edmonton not to make him their pick...Seguin has faded away from the highlite reels because he and Plymouth are gone from being involved,,,Watching Hall is a treat and has proved a couple of things....he plays reckless and opens himself to hits...but has either been very lucky or very resilient...if he gets drilled like he has in the juniors what will happen in the bigtime...scares you to think...he will either learn real quick or be sidelined...maybe Seguin for that reason alone could be the wisest choice as they both are capable of doing all facets of the game pretty much equally well...either way the Bruins cant lose and certainly should not deal away those precious picks just to nail down Hall who they could get anyhow!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

The pressure to Draft Hall is mounting. The only way that Lowe can justify drafting Seguin is if he acquires an NHL ready player from the B's. 
    The B's get Hall and the Oilers end up with Seguin and say .......Wheeler? Hamil, maybe
    Seguin makes more sense for the Oilers. If you are trying to put together a team then you need a great center to begin with
    Hey Bruins, the oilers WANT Hall but they NEED Seguin. Give the Oilers some incentive to swap picks but dont give up too much.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

What you guys seem to forget is  that the Oilers already met the 2 players and Seguin must be open to go to Edmonton ...while I am pretty sure that Hall told the Oilers he would love to play for the BRUINS ..dont forget his agent is Bobby Orr....and that could be a factor in the Oiler's final decision

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In Response to Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall?:
    In Response to Re: How can Oilers not pick Hall? : It's like drug abuse, plus a mental disorder, plus dehydration and alcohol abuse. Total Lunatics tripping their brains out.
    Posted by BadHabitude

So...it's like a typical Friday then?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to How can Oilers not pick Hall?:
    I posted this on another thread but thought maybe it needed it's own thread so it wouldn't be hidden somewhere else . Good read for posters interested in the draft and what the Oilers could be possibly thinking on who they will draft . Good points either way on picking Seguin or Hall . I still lean towards Hall regardless of the criticism of him being reckless and putting himself in danger of getting injured. That part of his game is what makes him so dynamic . Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't. Seguin is getting better and who knows how good he'll get. http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/05/19/14014016.html
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Tough call.  Edmonton has a difficult decision to make.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Before you go ripping Awry, look at his first post - "if it's all the same, then yea, pick second."  He's not saying they must do whatever it takes to get Hall, only that if they've identified Hall as the guy they must have, then go big or go home.  Commit. Make it happen.

Speaking of which, I'm hoping both series are sweeps, and then the finals is a sweep.  Get that nightmare over with - I mean, who do you want to see win?  The Problem?  No.  The Scabs?  God, no.  One of only two teams with longer Cup droughts than the Bruins?  Tough call.  The team that beat the Bruins in brutal, embarrassing, historic fashion?  At least if the Flyers win, the Bruins can say they lost to the champs.  On the other hand, wouldn't they have to wonder what might have been?  Brutal.  Get it over with.  Bring on silly season with the draft, July 1st, development camp.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

Bookboy. It's been said you have tbe good to be lucky. What the Bruins just did was no collapse. The better team won. Holmgren did a pretty good job AND he got lucky.
      And 'CHARAWINSTHENOR' just because you say, "I know its not right to rip another poster for expressing their opinion"  doesn't mean you can.
      Souray wants out of Edmonton. He has gone very public with it. Because he lacks any semblance of leverage, Steve Tamballini would welcome any decent deal for Souray. You more than exaggerate his injury report and grossly undervalue his "presence" and Leadership.

If me dangling Chara OR Savard (my preference) is perhaps giving up too much for Souray and Edmonton's #1 Pick, so be it, suggest someone else. Or suggest no one.  I think Taylor Hall is the best player available in this year's Draft. The Bruins need this kid. They should try and get him. If this is their wish, they'll have to give up something.

Beyond that, the Bruins need to look at their Leadership. If Chara isn't the guy then move him on. If he is, then get him some help.

This blog is all the drug I need, thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

The reason Edmonton is getting so much pressure to pick Hall is because, simply, Hall is still playing. He is tearing it up in the Cup playoffs, which is getting him solo exposure (solo as in Seguin is not playing to draw attention away from him)

The fact of the matter is Seguin scored just as many points, and did it with much less of a supporting staff, this season. He did more with less, and if he had the quality teammates that Hall has, then his team would be there right now, and he'd probably be doing very well, too.

Edmonton scouts know this. They are smart enough to not get caught up in the hoopla and emotion of the moment. Hall is that great not just because he is extremely talented, but because he has great support. The Oilers need somebody who can take the team on his back and carry them, which is more of Seguin's calling, then Hall, who won't benefit as strongly from the 'support' of a very, very bad Oilers team.

Even though Hall is making all the headlines now, Seguin is still the player that organization needs. I think the Oilers, Seguin, Hall, AND the Bruins will all benefit most if Seguin goes #1

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The Oilers will pick the best player and that is Hall...they would be destroyed by the Oiler fan base if they take Seguin...The fast ice in Edmonton...a lot of young stars on the rise...its like the old oilers...fast, skill and a great fan base...

The Oilers could always deal some of their other guys...they do need a top center but whose to say they won't try and get Marleau

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I just don't see the purpose in giving up anything when both players are considered #1 talents.  The same urgency could be impressed upon Edmonton.  They need Seguin, not Hall.