How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

Re: How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?

Agreed, there's no one in the NHL today even close to Probert (Top 5 all-time fighter; Simon was very overrated IMHO) and that's because those days are mostly over in the new NHL.  You always need guys who can step up to that role, but it helps if they can also play a little.  Thornton fits the bill and if the B's need to bring more, they certainly can. 

I'll tell you one thing, if Toronto is under the illusion they're going to beat up the Bruins this coming season, they're in for a rude surprise on their way to getting whipped on the scoreboard. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

I doubt Burke believes that... what everyone else on the team believes is entirely different.

In Response to Re: How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?:
    [QUOTE]Agreed, there's no one in the NHL today even close to Probert (Top 5 all-time fighter; Simon was very overrated IMHO) and that's because those days are mostly over in the new NHL.  You always need guys who can step up to that role, but it helps if they can also play a little.  Thornton fits the bill and if the B's need to bring more, they certainly can.  I'll tell you one thing, if Toronto is under the illusion they're going to beat up the Bruins this coming season, they're in for a rude surprise on their way to getting whipped on the scoreboard. 
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010's posts

[QUOTE]We have bad luck when trading Thorntons...we would most likely get a bag of pucks in return
    Posted by KrayzieJoe[/QUOTE]

What are u talking about ...who do we have left from that trade :
    Chuck Kobasew, Maco Sturm and Andrew Ferrence

Joe Thornton is a wasted talent ...no heart no guts ...I wouldnt even make a trade one on one for Chuck Kobasew...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from daPope. Show daPope's posts

The only problem with Thornton is that Elmer Fudd the coach sits him on the end of the bench far too much.  Thornton can play the game as well if not better than a lot of others in the league, but there he sits.  At least this year he can watch Lurch's trophy as well as Savard's hair brush and mirror while they are out there playing (sort of).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

hahhahhahaha where did you play badhabitude, hudson county community college?

You don't take his point about enforcers at all. If you don't fight in the NHL, teams take liberties with you, ask Carolina, they never dropped the gloves and have a ton of concussions from guys taking runs at their players. So if we ditch thornton for a 3rd rounder we have Lucic and Chara running around with their gloves off, and those guys spend valuable minutes in the penalty box.....thats not worth a 3rd round pick for me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

Like I've been saying on other posts look for Sturm and/or Ward to be moved if the Bruins have Kessel in their future. So far that has been minimal contact between Chiarelli and Kessel's camp, which suggests to me that maybe he's willing to play hardball with Kessel in order to get them to sign for Krejci's contract. If they could get Kessel for $3.75 then Hunwick could be signed by moving a smaller contract or moving somebody around. If they can get Kessel for Krejci's money then they may see fit to give Hunwick close to $2 million, and use Kessel's spot on the roster for Bitz until Kessel returns. I know they have to be under the cap to start the season but if Bitz has a 2-way contract then he can be moved up to Boston right after the season starts, and when Kessel and Krejci's contracts aren't counted because of their injuries. I'm not 100% sure on how the cap alleviation goes for injuries but if it's like that then they can afford to keep Bitz in the NHL until Kessel and Krejci would be ready.
    Just something to consider, this scenario works out on paper because it keeps the Bruins with a full roster and keeping everybody, but like I said I'm not 100% on the CBA laws so I might be wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Like I've been saying on other posts look for Sturm and/or Ward to be moved if the Bruins have Kessel in their future. So far that has been minimal contact between Chiarelli and Kessel's camp, which suggests to me that maybe he's willing to play hardball with Kessel in order to get them to sign for Krejci's contract. If they could get Kessel for $3.75 then Hunwick could be signed by moving a smaller contract or moving somebody around. If they can get Kessel for Krejci's money then they may see fit to give Hunwick close to $2 million, and use Kessel's spot on the roster for Bitz until Kessel returns. I know they have to be under the cap to start the season but if Bitz has a 2-way contract then he can be moved up to Boston right after the season starts, and when Kessel and Krejci's contracts aren't counted because of their injuries. I'm not 100% sure on how the cap alleviation goes for injuries but if it's like that then they can afford to keep Bitz in the NHL until Kessel and Krejci would be ready. Just something to consider, this scenario works out on paper because it keeps the Bruins with a full roster and keeping everybody, but like I said I'm not 100% on the CBA laws so I might be wrong.
    Posted by joeschmo25[/QUOTE]

Injury reserve is something like must miss 20 games + ,  not sure those two will qualify.  Not sure Sturm will want to be traded. As for Kessel signing for 3.75 don't think so. If they come to an agreement it will up in around 4.5 - 4.25.
    This is why he isn't signed yet.
    Hunwick I would not give him more than 1.7.  Yes he's promising but don't think he's reached 2mill + status yet.  Not enough games in NHL to prove himself but I'm sure he and the Bruins will strike a deal.
    All this being said , again,  it's not Thornton, it's not Recchi's or Bitz's contract that is stopping us from signing Kessel.
    To have a successful team you need all these ingredients, fighters, plumbers, guys that go to the net and veterans.
    Besides the Bruins have their principles on how much Kessel is worth and need to think for the next year also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

[QUOTE]Why nitpick on a guy like Scott Thornton? He costs next to nothing, bangs hard, fights occassionally when he has to stick up for a teammate, and guess what?--he actually does have a pretty good shot and some scoring touch for a 4th line guy. There are plenty of holes in the Bruins' line-up (especially when they lose Kessel and his 30+ goals), but whining about Thornton (what the hell would you get in return for him anyway that would be such an upgrade?) is missing the forest for the trees.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Shawn Thornton.  Scott Thornton used to play for the Sharks and Devils...

I agree that Thornton has a place on this team.  And he's relatively cheap. For those talking about getting Sobotka playing time, you need to ask yourselves this.  If the Bruins thought that they were ready, do you think that they would have signed Steve Begin from Montreal to replace Stephane Yelle?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from horrifying. Show horrifying's posts

oh hey guys, or should I say HEY YOU A55 HOLES. anyone who thinks of trading thornton, I'm going to write down your telephone numbers and send them to Shawn himself. then he can come personally to your homes to FACEPUNCH YOU IDIOTS. how about that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from powderrider2002. Show powderrider2002's posts

Why would you think of trading Thornton. The guy is smart with the puck and first one in on the forecheck and doesnt create problems for the team.  Stcks up for his line mates and knows his role on the team.He is one the best enforcers in the game fora 4th line guy. He makes above the league min. Would u rather have Thronton with his 750,000 contract or Donald Brashear @1.5 millon w/ no skills. I wanna have Shawn here for a few more years.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Hockey 101:
    skill players have more room to work when someone isnt taking liberties.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsUnite. Show BruinsUnite's posts

Has the world gone mad?

Has the world gone mad? We basically get Thorny for free and he does great things on the ice, relative to his role. Not only is he there to do the work that no sane coach would have his goal-scorers do, but when was the last time you said, "freakin Thornton" because he messed up?

You don't say it because he does his job well. he doesn't turn over the puck because he knows where to put it -- in someone else's hands. And he puts the fear of jesus in his opponents in the corners.

Seriously, it's nuts to even consider this. Some of us earn more than he does per annum.

(Sorry about the font size. Trying to stay awake and the eyes aren't always cooperative.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Greatseason. Show Greatseason's posts

[QUOTE]Why nitpick on a guy like Scott Thornton? He costs next to nothing, bangs hard, fights occassionally when he has to stick up for a teammate, and guess what?--he actually does have a pretty good shot and some scoring touch for a 4th line guy. There are plenty of holes in the Bruins' line-up (especially when they lose Kessel and his 30+ goals), but whining about Thornton (what the hell would you get in return for him anyway that would be such an upgrade?) is missing the forest for the trees.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE
    Simple... they are too buzy , they are watching what's going on with Habs... big noses, why don't you care more about our own team...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MontrealBruin. Show MontrealBruin's posts

We already have a team that kicks behind reglar season. And we all know Joe's worth in the post season..........zip

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skaswatch. Show Skaswatch's posts

Man, I've read the globe online for years, but I finally had to sign up because the things "fans" come up with on this message board are nuts. Really people, are you that bored over the baseball all-star break?

Byron Bitz is going to drop the gloves when Brashear sucker-punches Ward in the face? C'mon.

Chara or Lucic need to twist a wrist or break a hand because they decided to fight Daniel Carcillo for a momentum booster? C'mon, really?

Besides being a huge bargain, a smart player, a helluva team guy and super tough, there is nobody in the B's system NHL-ready to replace Thornton's role. 

Your checking line is not going out there to provide goals for Bitz & Begin, especially when you have the deepest top three lines in the league.

Thornton and his Stanley Cup Ring are not going anywhere, nor should they.

Here's a guy that can enforce, forecheck and skate, unlike those clowns Boogaard or Laraque.

Smarten up and leave the GM work to Chiarelli.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Don't get me wrong, i'm not a Thornton hater- he is a gritty player with a big heart.  BUT, many people can do his job-  Begin for one who has more talent and is just as gritty.  Thornton is not afraid of anyone but he is not a heavyweight.  He can fight but he's not in the Brashear class of fighters.  Some people on this forum overexaggerate his fighting ability.

The B's have had many gritty types and they aren't too hard to come by-that is why their salaries are so cheap.  Do you remember why Reich(who is tougher than Thor) didn't make the team last year?  Thornton.    There are plenty of gritty guys the B's have had-you need talent to win along with a bit of grit.  Thor has the grit but not much talent.  I think the B's have plenty of grit options with more talent than Thor.  I would miss Thor but don't make him out to be an all-star.  His skills are way below average and his heart is above average...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

How many goals does Marty Brodeur score yearly imafan? should he be gotten rid of? how about lidstrom? is it possible that there is more to this great game than scoring goals? Haven't seen you on this boards for a while, hope you either quit your relentless pessimism or that we don't see you for an even longer time.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thearchisuck. Show thearchisuck's posts

Again,

There are many different types of enforcers in the NHL. Heavies, talkers, skaters, instigators ect.. Thornton is a great combo of several of these. In addition he is, from what I can tell, not a d*ck, a solid mentor and overall team player. He has little percieved trade value and that is where some NHL GM's fall flat on thier face

You can't just take a look at the PIM leaders of the league and decide who is an "enforcer". Go to a game, read some lips, look at the talking and see the line match ups. What do you guys propose? Grab another Odgers, Malkoc, Nazarov, Oliwa? I loved these dudes but they did not have the legs of Thornton. Comment on the turning radius? Just cause a dude isn't pirouetting like Sammy out here doesn't mean his skating path doesn't have a meaning. Sometimes hearing footsteps is enough for a d man.

There are simply to many ball bags on this thread.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Thornton's not just an enforcer; he's also a solid hitter who can be an extreme pest on the forecheck. Anyone who doesn't see his value (and for an incredibly cheap price) doesn't understand professional hockey.

Watching guys like Kessel, Ovechkin or Crosby on the attack is great fun, but as a hockey fan, I also get an enormous kick out of watching guys like Thornton bottle up the other team in their own zone.