How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?

What is the point of this guy?  He has the widest turning radius of anyone I've seen since Kevin Stevens. 

As far as being Mr. Sluggo goes, he's not in the first tier of Mr. Punchouts.  Anybody disagree that Lucic could punch his lights?

Of the regular players he has the lowest plus minus.  Marco Sturm got more points than him last season and Sturm only played 13 games.

And a fourth line with Bitz and Begin could use a little more skill.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?

And you want Lucic spending 5mins + at a time in the box for fighting !
    Bitz also is not a fighter for those who think that's his role.
    Thornton is cheap and keeps the other teams honest. Every team has an enforcer , some at caps hits of over 900k.  We'll need him this season against Toronto, Philly and the Sens.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINSin2010's posts

I agree with you we dont need this guy anymore...BRUINS have big guys like Bitz-Chara-Lucic- and big forwards like Wheel that can take care of themselves...All the NHL teams pay respect to the B's we should give some real chances to Sobotka or even Marchand on the fourth line...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTLBRUINFAN. Show MTLBRUINFAN's posts

No you need a Thornton in the line up....Thornton skates better than most of the so called enforcers in the league too....

Why have Lucic, Chara or Bitz for that matter fighting other team's goons ? Thornton is there to keep things in check

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

Why nitpick on a guy like Scott Thornton?

He costs next to nothing, bangs hard, fights occassionally when he has to stick up for a teammate, and guess what?--he actually does have a pretty good shot and some scoring touch for a 4th line guy. There are plenty of holes in the Bruins' line-up (especially when they lose Kessel and his 30+ goals), but whining about Thornton (what the hell would you get in return for him anyway that would be such an upgrade?) is missing the forest for the trees.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

We have bad luck when trading Thorntons...we would most likely get a bag of pucks in return

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from iR0Nic. Show iR0Nic's posts

"Why nitpick on a guy like Scott Thornton?"

Ahahahaha!

To the rest of you armchair GMs who prefer Looch, Z, and Bitzy in the box for fighting... get a clue. Wheeler can take care of himself?! Christ...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SCORE6. Show SCORE6's posts

thornton is great....you need guys like him to win cups....ask burke,he said thornton was a key piece to the ducks cup

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins4ever. Show Bruins4ever's posts

Thornton must stay here. He's a prototype Bruin who keeps Laraque and Brashear busy enough to keep them from goading skill players like Milan into a fight. And we lost Jeremy Reich. Shawn's a fabulous team guy who will get the odd goal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emjake5236. Show emjake5236's posts

I agree 100% about Thornton, he is absolutely necessary...keeps other teams in check. Takes them off of their game...I would've loved to see Chris Neil here but, I'll take Thornton any day. You absolutely need a guy like him on your team. Guy is built like a beast too, I wouldn't want to be hit by him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

First off Thornton doesn't have much value in the trade market as a 4th line player. Second he's the cheapest Bruin on the roster at $500K. Third like everybody has been mentioning in support, Thornton is a fighter. The reason Lucic didn't drop the gloves with the Canadiens in close games is because they couldn't afford to lose him for 5 minutes, same with Chara. Bitz and Wheeler, though they have size, aren't fighters yet. They're not dynamic enough to be worried about losing for 5 minutes, but you don't want them to get the stuffing beat out of them for the sake of it.
    When you're trying to alleviate the cap the dumbest thing you can do is trade the cheapest guy on your team, and the Bruins are trying to become a tougher team, getting rid of an enforcer is going in the opposite direction of what you're trying to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoJo30. Show DoJo30's posts

In Response to How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?:
    [QUOTE]What is the point of this guy?  He has the widest turning radius of anyone I've seen since Kevin Stevens.  As far as being Mr. Sluggo goes, he's not in the first tier of Mr. Punchouts.  Anybody disagree that Lucic could punch his lights? Of the regular players he has the lowest plus minus.  Marco Sturm got more points than him last season and Sturm only played 13 games. And a fourth line with Bitz and Begin could use a little more skill.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

You are a tool and have no idea what it takes to have a good hockey team. ON TOP OF THAT WHAT DO U EXPECT TO GET FOR THORTON? Get a clue

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks? : You are a tool and have no idea what it takes to have a good hockey team. ON TOP OF THAT WHAT DO U EXPECT TO GET FOR THORTON? Get a clue
    Posted by DoJo30[/QUOTE]

I'm looking at the PIM leaders in the NHL.

Funny, but no one from Detroit is in the top 50.
    Funny, but only one from Pittsburg is in the top 50.

If the Stanley Cup finals is not your measure of success, can you state exacty what is?

What you could get for Thornton?  They got a third round pick for Jurcina, Thornton would be worth the same.

Yah, at 500k he's cheap.  But 500k is 500k and you could give that to Kessel.

And no, I'm not suggesting that Chara, Lucic, Bitz be the designated cement head, but I'm saying that this is team with a lot of guys who can take care of themselves.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

It really is ridiculous to even consider moving Thornton.  Dollar for dollar, Thornton might be the single best value on the entire B's roster.  In fact, he might play his role more efficiently than anyone else in the entire league!  He's smart, knows when to go and when not to, is fearless, skates well, has unapproachable integrity, can actually play and does all of that for a mere $500k.

One last thought:  Okay, maybe Pittsburgh and Detroit didn't have anyone among the Top 50 PIM, but go back to the 2007 Stanley Cup Champion Anaheim Ducks (run by GM Brian Burke) who featured:

Parros, Thornton, Pronger, Perry, Getzlaf...and maybe 1-2 others. 

With Brian Burke now in the same division and conference as the Bruins, I would suggest that now would be exactly the wrong time to move a player as valuable as Shawn Thornton.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Dude, he's the enforcer. It's his job. Unlike say Brashear he rarely takes a bad penalty when he's out there doing other things like play as part of the checking line. He's also one of the more popular guys in the locker room.

As for Lucic vs Thornton, I don't want to find out.
    If they are both playing for the Bruins at the time it means team chemistry hs gone way down hill.
    If Lucic is playing for another team it means someone in the front office goofed. If Thornton is playing for another team it means we don't have Lucic to put on the ice for 5 minutes up to the rest of the game.

In Response to How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?:
    [QUOTE]What is the point of this guy?  He has the widest turning radius of anyone I've seen since Kevin Stevens.  As far as being Mr. Sluggo goes, he's not in the first tier of Mr. Punchouts.  Anybody disagree that Lucic could punch his lights? Of the regular players he has the lowest plus minus.  Marco Sturm got more points than him last season and Sturm only played 13 games. And a fourth line with Bitz and Begin could use a little more skill.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

I like Thortnon, but the B's have too many forwards and can't carry more than 4 lines.  Take a quick lookz(i'm just throwing random Forwards together):

Savard - Kessel - Lucic
    Krejci - Ryder - Wheeler
    Bergeron - Sturm - Recchi
    Kobasew- Bitz - Begin

Spare parts:  Thornton, Sobotka, Lehtonon

I don't see Thortnon as being better than any of those top 12, do you guys?  If Kessel is dealt, there would be one slot to fill(unless we get a F for him) and even then Sabotka or Lehtnon may have a bigger upside...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

No one had an issue with Thornton when he was beating the bag out of Begin in the preseason for injuring Savard.

But yeah, lets trade a 4th line guy who brings energy to the team and isn't afraid to drop the gloves and knock someone's teeth out.

Instead lets make sure that Lucic and Chara go out there swinging.

Come on people, use your heads.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thearchisuck. Show thearchisuck's posts

4ever has it right.

There are many different types of enforcers in the NHL. Heavies, talkers, skaters, instigators ect.. Thornton is a great combo of several of these. In addition he is, from what I can tell, not a d*ck, a solid mentor and overall team player. He has little percieved trade value and that is where some NHL GM's fall flat on thier face.

Never underestimate the presence of a veteran "enforcer" on a an NHL team. Thornton's "enforcer" guidance for Lucic, Stuart, Bitz, etc. for the last couple year or two, can't be quantified. Some of the previous posts echo this.

FYI. Loved Hunwick's skrap this past year. My wife thinks she could handle Wheeler.

Check the farm system games. If you jonny come lately's want to keep up on the Bs head down to Providence. I will be the idiot heckling the opposition behind their bench.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thearchisuck. Show thearchisuck's posts

Actually after reading the posts through.

BadHabitude needs to stick to the NBA and MLS. I like the thread because I think guys like Thornton don't get nearly enough credit but, I got a feeling that Badhabititty doesn't even know what a forearm shiver is?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Sorry dude, don't follow the NBA, baseball, the NFL and MLS is just junk.  Hockey only.  I played in college.

I take your point about different types of enforcers, but Thornton isn't a Probert or a Chris Simon in his prime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeschmo25. Show joeschmo25's posts

500K isn't important when it comes to signing Kessel, especially since Hunwick will be getting a nice raise to the effect of $2+ million. In addition Thornton is too valuable to the team to be the man on the outs. There are many different kinds of value, and for his Thornton is invaluable to the team. Some of you don't understand what he brings to the team and to the game. If Savard or Wideman is getting hacked or cheap shotted who do you think goes out there to send the message. Lucic and Chara will fight sparingly, mostly if the game is completely out of reach and 5 minutes means nothing. But in a tight game where a message needs to be sent either to the Bruins (to stir up motivation) or to the other team (to stop playing so dirty) it's Thornton that does the trick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

awright.  awright.  awright. 

but somebody has to be on the outs because if they could sign kessel and hunwick with the money left, they would have.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pezell04x. Show Pezell04x's posts

In Response to Re: How come nobody's talking about Thornton in trade talks?:
    [QUOTE]awright.  awright.  awright.  but somebody has to be on the outs because if they could sign kessel and hunwick with the money left, they would have.

any players on the roster with a 2 way contract? that might be the answer.

also, Chia could've signed Bitz as a trade piece. Young gritty forward who has some nhl experience under his belt.

don't put it past management.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsManiac. Show BruinsManiac's posts

Why aren't we talking about trading Thornton? Because he's a true Bruins WARRIOR!!! Lunch pail city and the guys love him. Don't forget, he was a big part of that Ducks Cup winner a few years ago. How can you want to trade a guy who makes  a million dollars a year but still goes home to a steel-town in Ontario and works moving steel beams around in the steelmill? Classic. Love the guy...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"Yah, at 500k he's cheap.  But 500k is 500k and you could give that to Kessel."

Thanks for the dumb post BadHabitude.  500K is pretty much the league minimum.  So if they jettison Thornton and give the $$$ to Kessel, does that mean they'll play with one less guy on the roster?? 

Sections
Shortcuts