How did you become a Bruins fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How did you become a Bruins fan?

Since we got to wait for the 1st round to finish let's have some fun.
    I'm curious to know from all of you.
    I became a Bruins fan in the early 70's when my whole family praised their boy,Phil Esposito and of course the no brainer , Bobby Orr. 
    Some of my family I guess today were just on that bandwagon but I never jumped off.  Still am and always be a Bruins fan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from THEGREATgymrat36. Show THEGREATgymrat36's posts

Re: How did you become a Bruins fan?

One of my brothers got me watching them. One night he was watching them, so I sat down to watch them. I was about 9 or 10 (i think it was 1980). There was a face off won by the bruins and Ray Bourque won it. I think the game was against the North- Stars. Ive watched ever since.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]Since we got to wait for the 1st round to finish let's have some fun. I'm curious to know from all of you. I became a Bruins fan in the early 70's when my whole family praised their boy,Phil Esposito and of course the no brainer , Bobby Orr.  Some of my family I guess today were just on that bandwagon but I never jumped off.  Still am and always be a Bruins fan. 
    Posted by HabsHaterBRPC[/QUOTE]

Sitting up in the 2nd balcony in the 60s with my father and the cigar chomping whiskey drinking Gallery Gods. They were brutal. I learned an entirely new language up there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from elosias. Show elosias's posts

Mine is pretty lame.  My first hockey experience that I remember was sitting on my uncle's floor in Indiana watching the 88-89 finals.  I have Lanny McDonald etched into my memory screming and smiling through that wild red beard.  I feel in love with the emotion of the game then and there.  I was 11, and I started playing the next year.  I actually just started reading up on the sport, and I had this big ole hockey bible, and the largest and most interesting was on the Bruins.  At the time they had Borque, Byers, Neely, Moog, Sweeney, and I just fell in line.  Since it was at the time when the B's had high expectations and were coming up short, I definately wasn't a fairweather fan.  (As a Cubs fan, I loved losers and undersdogs).

What is funny about growing up in Indiana (where Doc Emerick is from) and hockey and me is this: Although that's my first hockey memory (above), that uncle took me to see a game on his knee* (that I can't remember, I wish I could) to see this guy play his 1st professional season of hockey in Indiana, for the Indiana Racers, his name was Wayne Gretzky.

*I just checked the date of Gretzky playing in Indiana, I would have been 1 or two years old, so no wonder don't remember it!  What was my uncle doing taking a baby to a hockey game in Indiana?  What's sad is that it's the only time I've seen Gretzky play live, lol.  He played 8 games that year for the racers, and my unlce said he got season tickets just to see him, and he doesn't regret it even if he only had a 3-3=6 line in 8 games.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

ELOSIAS,  it's not a lame story.
    GYMrat ,  that's how I got my bro into hockey also.
    EVIL,  love the language . That  I wish I could have seen.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smoothice. Show Smoothice's posts

I was not even a hockey fan as a kid. When I got to college in the early 90's, all of my freinds went to the Springfield Falcons games every weekend night. So, once, I went too, and fell in love with the game. Of course, that meandered into watching the B's!

I finnaly learned to skate at 29, and now my life is hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

My parents came over from Italy in the 60's and my father (God rest his soul) was looking for something that was similar to soccer and he stumbled upon this great game of hockey. He, of course, got me into it. I was born in 1968 and my earliest memories are of watching Bobby Orr. I was instantly hooked and have not stopped watching since. I was 4 when they last won the cup and I really don't remember it. I have been obsessing for the cup for 36 years.
    Go BRUINS !!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTLBRUINFAN. Show MTLBRUINFAN's posts

Some guy HabsHaterBRPC got me into the B's at a young age....Then I loved the black jersey, the toughness of the Big Bad Bruins aura, and the effort the star players like Bourque and Neely would put in, night in and night out.

As a Montrealer , I never identified with the Habs ??? Their obnoxious fans, the media, the stressing of the French to belong, etc...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I watched alot of T.V. as a kid. I used to watch sitcoms, game shows, cartoons , you name it. By the time I was around 12 years old I would watch all kinds of sports. I loved the Red Sox (Rico Petrocelli, Yaz, Jim Lonborg,George Scott and Tony C.) , I loved football too, but because the old Patriots of the AFL stunk and never had sellouts the games weren't on T.V. I could have become a Giants fan , but didn't. Instead I became a big fan of the Kansas City Chiefs(not really a fairweather fan, but you have to understand, it was difficult to be a fan of a team you never got a chance to watch, the Chiefs were good , so they were always on the late (4:00) game.

After we got an antenna that would allow us to get UHF stations ( snowy but still watchable) , I got hooked on channel 38 and this channel was really great and they had this sport called hockey. I t didn't take too long before I knew every player on the Bruins. Then , I started to buy hockey books, subscribe to the Hockey news. I was playing street hockey every day after school (when I should have been doing homework!). I lived and died with the team through the '70's and the "too many men on the ice" call in the playoffs that had me so irate , I wrote a nasty letter to the Hockey News calling the officials all kinds of names ( they didn't print it, of course).

I don't really follow football much anymore, but I still love the Bruins and Red Sox and watch every game I can. I don't see anything in life that would make that change.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Zilla, 

Yes, good old WSBK CHANNEL 38.
    And " Too many men on the ice " !!!  
    I tell this story to everyone.  I was in grade school in Montreal and there were only two Bruin fans in the whole school  .  I said this is the year we beat you , of course te Bruins were winning the series,  they couldn't lose again to the Habs as they had the year before. So,  me and my big mouth I bet my whole collection of O-PEE-CHEE hockey cards. Oh boy after they lost in OT and that call !!!  I didn't want to go to school, after begging with my mom that I was sick and all she still sent me to school. The whole 6th grade was waiting for me.  The rest is history ! 
    Since that bet I never bet on any Bruin games ever again. 1st and last time !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Zilla,  Yes, good old WSBK CHANNEL 38. And " Too many men on the ice " !!!   I tell this story to everyone.  I was in grade school in Montreal and there were only two Bruin fans in the whole school  .  I said this is the year we beat you , of course te Bruins were winning the series,  they couldn't lose again to the Habs as they had the year before. So,  me and my big mouth I bet my whole collection of O-PEE-CHEE hockey cards. Oh boy after they lost in OT and that call !!!  I didn't want to go to school, after begging with my mom that I was sick and all she still sent me to school. The whole 6th grade was waiting for me.  The rest is history !  Since that bet I never bet on any Bruin games ever again. 1st and last time !  
    Posted by HabsHaterBRPC[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember that the "too many men on the ice" call ruined my whole summer.

I learned alot about hockey from listening to Johnny Pierson on WSBK T.V. 38.  One of my first games I attended at the old Boston Garden , I was on my to the snack bar between periods and Johnny Pierson walked by on his way back from the between periods interview...it was like seeing a Hollywood celebrity in person. Seems kind of silly now, but as a kid I looked up to Fred and John , they will always be my favorite sports broadcast team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan76. Show bruinsfan76's posts

I'm from montreal and when i was younger maybe around 9-10 we used to have a 3 day hockey tournament with Woburn,so that year i staid with a great familly with the kids father beeing the boston bruins goal judge!!It also happened to be my birthday and the guy bought me a bruins jersey,red sox hat,celtics jersey and a patriots jacket,so ever since then i have been everything boston i also played defence so who better to look up to then Ray!!I am 33 now still love the bruins still talk with the people from Woburn and just wanted to thank them for showing me the light!!!!GO BRUINS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from czech80. Show czech80's posts

NYR fans pi$sed me off on the Caps boards and Sean Avery is a tool.

Go Red Sox and Patriots and Celtics!  If you have an MLS, WNBA, or other team playing NY, best of luck to them too!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I seem to remember that the "too many men on the ice" call ruined my whole summer. I learned alot about hockey from listening to Johnny Pierson on WSBK T.V. 38.  One of my first games I attended at the old Boston Garden , I was on my to the snack bar between periods and Johnny Pierson walked by on his way back from the between periods interview...it was like seeing a Hollywood celebrity in person. Seems kind of silly now, but as a kid I looked up to Fred and John , they will always be my favorite sports broadcast team.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Yeah,  Fred and John  , I remember them and was so happy I didn't have to hear those Hab hommies back in Montreal !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I grew up in Boston in the 1970s during the heyday of Bobby Orr and the Big Bad Bruins. I liked all four of the major sports teams but the Red Sox and Bruins were on a level above everyone else. Watched the Bruins religiously. Played street hockey all winter. I had two street hockey goal nets. When I walked home from school, I'd pass a store that had a huge picture of "The Goal" on its front window. During the 1972 finals, I had to do my homework right after school and take a nap, but my mom then would let me stay up on school nights to watch the hockey games. I don't know how many batteries I went through as a kid listening to Bob Wilson's play-by-play on the radio. My mom would come in, turn off the radio, then I would get it, put in real low under the covers and continue to listen.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tommazz. Show Tommazz's posts

I started being a Bruins fan in 1970 I had a ESSO hockey mag it featured Bobby Orr and the black uniform too cool

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeantownBDH. Show BeantownBDH's posts

Born in mid 75', got a Bruins jersey from Santa Clause, I don't know why no one in my family is a Bruins fan. I just never looked back. I've been rocking the B ever since. Bruins 4 LIFE. Thanx Santa.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins-of-Smeg. Show Bruins-of-Smeg's posts

Well it is starts off a  sad story.My parents broke up in late '70 and my grandparents on my fathers side took my sister and I in. My Grandma bought a box of Lucky Charms and it came with a minature hockey stick and puck. Who was pictured on that stick but Bobby Orr. I immediatly thought that he would be my favourite player ( little did I know at 6 he would be the greatest player to ever play the game). Since I only had one stick my grandma bought another box of cereal and I ended up with a Phil Esposito stick. It was then that the B's became my favourite team. So it was actually the Espo stick that made me a B's fan. Have been following them ever since. From SW Ontario and the B's will always be my favourite sports team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

It was certainly my brothers' influences. My second oldest brother fell in love with Bobby Orr back in the 69/70 season. This was a passion he passed onto my third oldest brother (my oldest brother was a Habs/Guy Lafleur fan and still is - makes for some interesting Thanksgiving dinners).
    When I finally came along I fell under my oldest brother's influence at first (sorry, I'm coming clean but, yes, once upon a time I cheered for the Habs). But when I was 8 years-old, I went to my very first hockey game live. It was at the old Winnipeg Arena, 'tween the Jets and Bruins, and the non-Habs fan brothers took me.

Now, I was a Canadian kid, so of course I enjoyed hockey, but until that night I never really fell in love with it and it was all because of two players - Ray Bourque and Dale Hawerchuk.
    From that day on I had my teams - the Jets in the West, and Bruins in the East. When Neely came along, I put more focus on the Bruins, but still had a place in my heart for the Jets. Since they left Winnipeg (I refuse to ever cheer for the Coyotes) the B's have been my only team, so my passion has grown even stronger for them these past 13 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 13lucky. Show 13lucky's posts

My family became Bruins fans in the late 60's when channel 38 started broadcasting the games. We really didn't know much about the rules at all in the beginning. It was fun to learn. The team with Orr and Espo were great to watch. I still hate that the B's lost to Dryden in 1971. That was as miserable a defeat as the 1986 Red Sox.

Both my now adult sons weren't around, but I have always told them that Bobby Orr was the greatest thing on ice.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

What made me a fan was growing up watching Neely...

What made me a die-hard fan was being a die-hard celtics fan....I had been a die-hard Cs fan ever since I was about 6 (1990) and use to like the bruins , but i was never a die-hard hockey fan...One day (when i was about 10) I went to the Garden to see a celtics game, and just being in the garden (boston garden at the time) grabbed me...Something about that place just awe'd me...Ive followed the bruins closely ever since...

Whats funny, is last year I brought a girl I was dating to the garden to see a Cs game (she was a huge Cs fan and went for the Bs , but wasnt a big hockey girl)....SAME THING HAPPENED TO HER....We are still friends and still thanks me from time to time for getting her into the bs....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I must be really old! I've been rooting for the Bruins since the mid sixties I really started rooting for them because the hated habs would win every year,and kinda like the yankees I just couldn't stand the canadiens....Especially Boom Boom Geoffrion,Guy Lafluer,Rocket Richard over and over I would hear these names and then I would hear narry a peep about the Bruins!! When we started getting the better players like Sanderson,Orr and the big trade with the Rangers when we got Esposito,Hodge to go with Bucyk,McKenszie and Orr with the great goalies like Cheevers and Bernie Parent....Over the years they have had many exceptional Hockey players travel in and out of the Bruins Uniform...God Bless you Teddy Green,Don Cherry Aurevoir Normand....Here's to my favorites Jonathan and O'Reilly,even George Larague would have run at the site of Jonathan that Cree Indian was straight crazy!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gordo123. Show gordo123's posts

I grew up watching bourque, neely, moog, those are the guys that stood out. Had never watched hockey till 7 or 8 yrs old( thats late up here in canada) My older brother was a habby fan and i hated anything he was for so it was only natural. My mom hated bos/mtl games cause it always led to a fist fight in the front/back yard...depended on the easyest way out and ended with someone on the ground...seems harsh now but thats the way it was.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I even used to mark up my goalie mask like Gerry Cheevers, speaking of whom, hate the WHA because it got players like Cheevers, John McKenzie and Derek Sanderson. Teddy Green too, I believe. What a kick in the groin for a kid. As a kid, that was my introduction to the adult aspect of sports.