How did you become a Bruins fan?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: How did you become a Bruins fan?

Unfortunetly for me was game 6 of the 1974 Finals. Very young and very impressionable. I knew something was up that day with everybody starting to pile into my house for a  daytime party in Attlebordom, Ma. on a Sunday! Hmm...

Well we know the unfortunate outcome but Peter Puck buzzing around ye ol beat up Hitachi, Peirsons Pointers Ha Ha! The sense i got that day of the passion for the Bruins from my neighbors and Family is that the Bs meant as much to them as the Red sox meant to them!

Too many men, Glen Wesley it doesn't matter from that may sunny day there is no other franchise even when viewing it from a far in San Diego.

Great storys on this thread by the way! Can't wait to finish them!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Followed the Sox, therefore followed the Bruins, always loved Gerry Cheevers mask...defined toughness.  The first time I ever saw them play ('81 I think) was against Les Nordiques, Terry O'Reilly was getting under everyone's skin, I remember Dale Hunter checked him head first into the boards and the entire crowd stood up and screamed "C'est ca, tus-le", which means that's it, kill him in english.  O'Reilly left bloodied, skated off for repairs and of course they went at it on the next shift.

Loved watching Middleton, Neely, The Rat and even guys like John Carter and Bob Sweeney to a certain degree, they were just gritty tough guys!

By the way, great discussion!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Followed the Sox, therefore followed the Bruins, always loved Gerry Cheevers mask...defined toughness.  The first time I ever saw them play ('81 I think) was against Les Nordiques, Terry O'Reilly was getting under everyone's skin, I remember Dale Hunter checked him head first into the boards and the entire crowd stood up and screamed "C'est ca, tus-le", which means that's it, kill him in english.  O'Reilly left bloodied, skated off for repairs and of course they went at it on the next shift. Loved watching Middleton, Neely, The Rat and even guys like John Carter and Bob Sweeney to a certain degree, they were just gritty tough guys! By the way, great discussion!
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

Dale Hunter.

I had a dislike for this guy stronger than anything in this world.

I've often wondered how he left the game without most of his body parts broken. If I was playing against him , I doubt I could have restrained myself...and really I am not a violent person, but I yelled things to Hunter at the T.V. screen I could never repeat here. I wanted so bad to see a Bruins player knock him out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

[QUOTE]Dale Hunter. I had a dislike for this guy stronger than anything in this world. I've often wondered how he left the game without most of his body parts broken. If I was playing against him , I doubt I could have restrained myself...and really I am not a violent person, but I yelled things to Hunter at the T.V. screen I could never repeat here. I wanted so bad to see a Bruins player knock him out.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

He had that look about him, very similar to Linseman, where you never knew what he was going to do, and never really knew why he did it.  He pulled moves like Lapierre & co all the time, what a $h1t disturber!  How many times did he spear other palyers between the legs or the patented face wash while the ref had someone tied up!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

bobby orr, phill esposito , wayne cashman , gerry cheevers, the chief , ken hogde pie face,d sanderson, terry o ,cam n ,stan j, ray b, do i have to say anymore

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UtahBruin. Show UtahBruin's posts

When I was a kid playing on the "travel-teams" we would sometimes have each player on the home team "house" a player from the visiting teams from other states.

Anyhow, one of those years durring the mid-70's one of the guys staying at our house gave me a poster of Cheevers.  I thought that was the coolest mask I had ever seen so I started paying more attention to them

First it was the mask, then it was the style of play, then came Bourque... and being a defenseman myself, how could I not be a fan?

Although it was Neeley that made me finaly start bleeding Black and Gold.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HABH8R. Show HABH8R's posts

Watching the B's & Habs in 1979, uneducated Uncles & Cousins jumping on the Habs bandwagon...I was 9 and a Canucks fan by default. My cousin Adam was a rebel and liked the underdogs in black.

The illiterate mob (who were prolly also Yankee and Dallas Coyboy fans) chanted Bruins su*k, bruins su*k!!! After Guy Laflower scored to send it to OT.

I became a fan of the underdogs after seeing my 8 year old cousin leave the room courageously choking back tears.

I like the work ethic and I like the toughness of a kid like Adam (now a Cop on the Downtown East Side) and the Bruins teams I watched through the 80's & 90's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Born in the Valley, Ontario  a split almost 50/50 leafs and habs. Said almost, next door neighbour was a Bruins fan and he gave me a Bucyk hockey card. Started to love them (even though mired in basement) and then along came Orr, Espo, Hodge, Cash etc.

One of my Older brothers was NYR fan and he was always fooling around with electronics and buying old radios at auctions (Old Farm Sales). He was able to get one tuned into WBZ Boston, I think it was around 1090 or 1190 AM station then in Ontario. Every game that wasn't on TV I listened to. Oldest brother (Hab Fan) and NYR fan seen the game in Ottawa ( Preseason) when Maki hit Green over the head with a stick. Orr chased Maki off the ice and was climbing the boards trying to get at him. Both teams in the box for the rest of the game. Boston lost 5-0 and Orr carried the puck almost the entire third period killing penalties and was named the 1st star.

The heart of the team playing against more talented team those first few years was unbelievable.  For some reason the Bruins were always able to get that little extra out of guys, not as talented as we thought or hoped.

Though many a talented guy has played for them over the years. There have always been a few guys to come along and keep you riveted to the team saying this will be the year.  I have seen them many times, though mostly in Montreal.  Orr of course and the guys from the cup winners.

Later there was Ratelle, Park, O'Reilly, Middleton, McNabb, Bourque, Neeley, remember Janney and Joyce, Juneau, Oates, Thornton and so many others. Also a few of the good old boys Wensink, Buyers and my favourite tough guy Stan Jonathon. Seeing him pummel Bouchard(knocked the snot out of him) and some tough guy from the minors(?) and the Big Bird Larry Robinson(oldest brother disagrees) all in one game had the blood flowing as well as you could ever wish.
      I have seen a lot more talent laden teams, but I don't remember a team that has played so much as a unified team as this. I see why Julien rolls all 4 lines (though sometimes a tad too much for me but it is his team). His game plan has made them a team that understands his tactics and orchestrates them.  This cohesion makes them all better offensive and defensivelyl.

It is also a team that will bring in young fans as they are exciting to watch with stars for every type of fan, as we had, that brought us into the Bruins fold.   Goaltenders - TT, Defence-ZC, scoring-MR, speed-PK, passing-MS and toughness-ML and a supporting cast MR, PB, DK, BW, CK et al.

That hope or spark is back and this will be the year.

Go Bruins!

Greatest Of All Time!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

The Orr-Esposito teams will always be my favorite and not just the teams that won the Cup but the ones through 74-75 too when they had Greg Sheppard, Andre Savard, Terry O'Reilly replacing Fred Stanfield, Derek Sanderson and John McKenzie. However, those late '70s teams also have a special place in my heart. The thing that made the Espo trade palatable was how classy Jean Ratelle was. And Peter McNabb IMO was one of the most underrated Bruins players. He tends to get overshadowed. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

My best Bs memory.

Driving into Logan in 1970 with my older brothers
    Having to abandon the car in the tunnel and walk to the terminal
    Crawling down the baggage chutes and getting on the tarmac with hundreds of other crazed fans

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I have been a Bruin Fan since the late 60's.. we had just arrived in Canada and I remember my dad went out and bought our first black and white tv.. I had never watched hockey before and the very first game I watched was a playoff series between the Bruins and the Leafs and the Bruins just killed the Leafs by scores of 10-0 and 7-0 , I was hooked on the Bruins and have been ever since..

I can say I have witnessed the two Stanley Cup Championships in the early 70's ( we should have won more :) and can recall them just like they happened yesterday.. Never will forget the voice of Dan Kelly calling Orr's famous overtime goal " Score, Bobby Orr !!! . I was 11 years old and I just stood there and cried of sheer jubilation.... . To this day in my office at home is adorned with many of Bobby's and Bruins memorabilia hanging on shelves and wall's...my wife thinks I am nuts, but to me the Bruins will always be my first team.... and I have it in my will that I want a Bruins flag draped over my coffin when my time is up.. Wouldn't it be great if the Bruins could rewrite a little history this year.. BELIEVE and it will be done...LETS GO BRUINS..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

That post bringing up Dale Hunter and O'Reilly ,  do any of you remember ,  when the Bruins were eliminated by the Nordiques in the playoffs and after one bad call after another O'Reilly lost it and kind slapped or face washed Andy Van Hellemond ?
    I remember having this picture in my pencil case and showing it off to everyone in high school.  I was so proud of Terry just saying " enough is enough " ,  that was it for him he just had it with the officiating in his career (yes,  he was part of the too many men on the ice call).
    One day someone stole it from my pencil case, DAMN HAB FAN !
    I could never find that picture again,  does anyone remember this or saw this picture ?
    How I wish I can see it again and bring back some of those fond memories.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylequinn. Show kylequinn's posts

I remember being a really young lad, and wanted to cheer for montreal, one time (Young and stupied) my mother told me to cheer for a canadian team, my father kicked the Sh!t out of me and made me cry, and took my nintendo and everytthing away from me, and told me he was going to disown me.

No wait, that the reason why I hate Montreal soo much lol

Ive been a bruins fan ever since i was was little, parents grew up out east New Brunswick, so back then the only hockey games you could see on your two channel TV, were Montreal and Boston, and we all no back then, ONLY people from montreal cheered for montreal..so the Buin love got handed down to me.

heres a sample of how we decorate the house for playoff times, we put more effort in playoff decorating, then we do christmas lol

eer

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

I was about 8 flipping through the channels on the television when I noticed one channel was especially white. I flipped back and saw it was a hockey game and right when I flipped to it Joe Thornton scored an amazing goal against the Flames. I ran and asked my mom if I could play youth hockey and I have been playing and watching hockey (Bruins) ever since.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

These stories are all so great, the collective passion here for the B's (and the best sport in the world) practically busts through the monitor.  I began to get interested in the B's when I was 12-13 years old around 1964.  I'd been a huge NY Football Giants fan from 1958 on, also a Sox fan (we went to one game a year) so I eagerly read the Globe Sports every day, also the Sunday NY Times Sports section.  Other than playing a little pond hockey on our truly little neighborhood pond in the woods on the North Shore, the only thing I knew about hockey were two names:  Boom Boom Geoffrion and Bobby Hull.  The nickname Boom Boom alone, plus hearing about the legendary booming shot of The Golden Jet got me curious enough to listen to the then woeful, perennially last-place B's (B's-Canadiens and B's-Black Hawks games only) on a transistor radio hidden under my pillow.  (I thought I was getting away with murder.)  It's ironic that one name that always sort of stood out during the Hawks games was Esposito who, I read years later, centered for Bobby Hull so naturally, with all of the ice time he got, it's no wonder his name stuck.  B's games were not on TV back then, and I didn't know anyone who went to games, no one ever talked Bruins, nothing hockey at all.  Everything changed one Sunday afternoon the winter of 1968.  The (new) NHL Game of The Week that day featured the Black Hawks playing the Bruins at Boston Garden...B's wearing black at home, the Hawks in those near spotlight white road sweaters, a young Bobby Orr whizzing around for a fast-developing Bruins club that was beginning to feel its oats, Bobby Hull scaring the stuff out of everyone everytime he touched the puck, Don Awrey getting into a hellacious fight with Stan Mikita following a hit into the boards to the side of the net (Mikita was a big star himself, plus he was the first to use a hooked blade on his stick, Hull and many others soon followed suit; Mikita was a formerly dirty but small player who had since reformed himself into a multiple Lady Byng winner, though occasionally he'd have a relapse, ask Bobby Orr...), and the Bruins winning a very exciting game.  All those star players, the drama, the passion, the crowd going nuts, I came away absolutely hooked.  Went to my first game 3-4 weeks later and that was all she wrote.  And it was mostly because of Bobby Orr who was so ridiculously good it's difficult to explain. 

With Orr, Espo, Cheevers, Bucyk, Sanderson, McKenzie and the boys, the B's were both really good AND really entertaining.  With the exception of the 1967 Impossible Dream Red Sox, I've never seen any team have a grip on the region like the Orr-led Bruins.  Whether in person or on the new UHF TV station Channel 38, the B's were a must-see event.  Tickets were highly sought after and prized.  There were a whole variety of ways of getting into the Garden for Bruins games, some legal and some definitely not.  Did we care?  The only thing we cared about was getting into the building.  The B's were so hot, so dominant that when they played at Boston Garden, it literally didn't even occur to you they could lose.  I'm not kidding. 

Like thousands of others, it was because of Orr and the B's that my best friend and I dared each other into attempting to play organized hockey for the very first time at the not so tender ages of 18 (wearing my brand new Phil Esposito shin pads from Zayre's).  I was so sore the first few days of practice I could barely get dressed in the morning.  Pathetic I know, but I loved it (though it didn't love me back, at least not in the same way...ever hear that one?), and have been in and around the game as a fan, employee or volunteer ever since. 

Like everyone else here, I bleed black and gold.  New England sports fans of my generation in particular have been spoiled rotten.  We've been lucky enough to have seen all of our teams win mutiple championships.  And now we're at the point where the Boston team that's gone the longest without winning a championship is the Bruins.  But there's a nice difference today frankly.  Now it's my nephews and other young fans turn to have their own Bruins memories.  They loved it when the Celts finally won last year, and now I want them to experience Chara, Bergeron and the rest of the B's skating the Stanley Cup around.  There's something about the Stanley Cup itself...its history combined with all of the memories, friends and family that makes the idea of winning it again emotional to even think about.  Whenever I see or hear a re-play of Dan Kelly calling Bobby Orr's Cup-winning goal on May 10, 1970, I still get goose bumps.  May the same be true one day for all of today's B's fans.  I'm sure I'll have them one more time.

Sections
Shortcuts