How does this happen?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: How does this happen?

In Response to Re: How does this happen?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Careful here.  Less money than Kessel?  Savard signed a sweet deal for himself (very clever move that is being investigated by the NHL but I applaud it).  Everyone thinks Savard took a homer's discount to help the Bruins with cap space. Not true, he is getting his money and the majority of it in the 1st four years where he's averaging over 6.5 million each year (I believe Kessel is 5.2 million throughout his contract).  He's only averaging $867,000 over the last 3 years.  He's currently 32.  This is really a 4 year deal with 3 additional years at bargain price when Savard will likely retire or be bought out by the Bruins (which is exactly how it was designed).  Again I applaud your GM on this contract as it circumvents the cap hit in an ingenious way but don't be so naive to think that Savard settled for less money while Kessel did not.  If Savard signed a 4 year deal worth 26 million what would you think then?  His best season was 74 points in 82 games back in 2006/2007.  He is probably past his prime at 32 years of age and he's saddled with Bitz as a linemate.  Kessel is only 22 (not yet near his prime) and has already a 36 goal season under his belt. Currently he has 19 points in 20 games (and a plus 6) while Savard is 14 points in 16 games and (even) playing on a much better team. Don't get me wrong, I like Savard a lot but he is not an elite centerman and he's still getting big bucks.  In the same token, Kessel is not an elite player (he is not very good defensively and not strong enough to bang in the corners), but he will be a top 10 goal scorer in the league (heck he's got 11 goals already playing with Stajan). When the Bruins finally do get a sniper you will see that the $5 million Kessel is getting is not far from what a player like that should be getting.  
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

I was careful, the length of the Savard contract has to be considered on par with Kessel's if you are making comparisons.  I agree the Savard contract was excellent for the type of player.  Kessel as well.  The fact remains as I said, Kessel did not want to play for the Bruins. Did you notice the Toronto fans don't like to answer why there is not another team near Toronto.  Lots of money being made in Ontario. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Whoops, off by a column - that 74 was his assist total that year.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected.  You are right.  It was  total of 96 points in 2006/2007, 78 in 2007/2008 and 88 last year.

Actually in light of how Boston plays those are good numbers.

I like Savard.....just don't think objectively that he took less money then he really wanted, they just found a very clever way to get him the money he wanted and save cap space.  I think you'll see the NHL change the rules to prevent these type of contracts in the future.  Boston pulled one on the league thought....good for them...

Hey.....how about we trade the 1st round pick from 2010 (oh that's gone) 2011 (oh that's gone too), 2012, 2013 and 2014 for Savard and reunite him with Kessel?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

That 96 pts was part of the Dave Lewis error year, right?  I think within Julien's system the 78-88 is a more plausible expected point total for a whole season for Savard.
    And of course you are right - Savard didn't take less guaranteed money, just a more cap friendly contract.  Those "planned" buy-out/retire deals probably won't be allowed past the next round of CBA negotiations.  That the Bruins did it just goes to show how much less influence Jacobs has compared to the past.  His own team circumventing the cap?  Wow.
    Deals like that really only work for players that are up there in age, or so clearly great that you don't mind taking a 10-15 year risk.  Not an option for Kessel, so no surprise his cap number is higher.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : I was careful, the length of the Savard contract has to be considered on par with Kessel's if you are making comparisons.  I agree the Savard contract was excellent for the type of player.  Kessel as well.  The fact remains as I said, Kessel did not want to play for the Bruins. Did you notice the Toronto fans don't like to answer why there is not another team near Toronto.  Lots of money being made in Ontario. 
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

I think true Leaf fans would agree that we are getting screwed by the Maple Leaf organization and have been for many years.  Another team in Toronto would change the dynamics of the hockey scene in Toronto, especially if it was run properly and was a competitive team.  The current owners are afraid to have the competition because they have a captive market in Toronto and are getting rich as a result.  Once the cap was introduced, the Leaf management must have had a real party.  Now they don't have to answer to the fans in terms of spending more money because they are very comfortable spending the max cap hit and that's millions less than they would have by signing free agents and the like.  The owners of the Maple Leafs LOVE the cap.

Make no mistake, the leaf organization has screwed the fans for many years and the price of tickets make it impossible for the true fan to go to the games.  It's all corporate seats for the most part.

There is very little incentive for the Leaf management to do anything in terms of improving the team unless we get an owner that wants to win.

I think Burke, for all his faults, is on the right track though.   Time will tell.  In the meantime the team this year is mediocre but more entertaining with Kessel on it.   When you have no chance at a cup you want to at least see offense and some good young players to build on.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Let's not paint a picture that shows the Bruins inventing this brand of cap management.  The Red Wings did it with Zetterberg and Datsyuk last year, and the Blackhawks did it with Hossa this summer.  The precident has been set.  Let the league investigate it all they want.  The Bruins are simply following suit.

It is also a large assumption to say that Savard will be of no value to the Bruins after year four of his contract.  True, he likely won't have the wheels at age 37 that he has now, but I wouldn't bet on Savvy being washed up completely at that point.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayKran. Show JayKran's posts

[QUOTE]Savard is doing fine... check his stats.... he was injured for a while and guess what he signed for less money than Kessel.  Kessel is a good player but he thinks he is Sidney Crosby.  BTW Kessel did not want to play for the Bruins.  Most fans wanted him to stay until he pulled his antics.  Good luck!  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Actually Savard is making 7m for the next 4 yrs, he signed a ridiculous long term contract that will make a cap hit of 5m a yr and the league is investigating it because he will retire well before the contract expires. I did check his stat and he is not even a point a game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

[QUOTE]Let's not paint a picture that shows the Bruins inventing this brand of cap management.  The Red Wings did it with Zetterberg and Datsyuk last year, and the Blackhawks did it with Hossa this summer.  The precident has been set.  Let the league investigate it all they want.  The Bruins are simply following suit. It is also a large assumption to say that Savard will be of no value to the Bruins after year four of his contract.  True, he likely won't have the wheels at age 37 that he has now, but I wouldn't bet on Savvy being washed up completely at that point.
    Posted by Mutant211[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.  If Savard is still playing great hockey, the last 3 years of that contract will be thrown out and a new contract will be written up.  Exactly like it was designed.  If he falters, the Bruins buy it out and are no worse for wear.

I guarantee you that if Savard continues playing after the next 4 years, he will NOT be getting only $867,000 a year.....

Great contract, everybody wins

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Agreed.  If Savard is still playing great hockey, the last 3 years of that contract will be thrown out and a new contract will be written up.  Exactly like it was designed.  If he falters, the Bruins buy it out and are no worse for wear. I guarantee you that if Savard continues playing after the next 4 years, he will NOT be getting only $867,000 a year..... Great contract, everybody wins
    There is no throwing out of contracts in the NHL.  This is what he gets, period. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

You are wrong.. we didn't have Sturm last year and whether you like him or not he should be good for 25 -30 goals.  We didn't have Bergeron at 100% last year and the way he is playing so far he is on track to have is best year in 3 years.  All we need now is the rest of the boys to be on par to what they did last year and we will be fine.  ESPECIALLY when we bring in help at trade deadline.

[QUOTE]Didn't you guys get beat by the Hurricane's in the playoffs last year. You both have the same team this year minus Kessel and where are the Canes? I think I will be in Boston for the Stanly Cup parade:) Oh and Boston is 7-2-1! Like I said "Delusional".
    Posted by JayKran[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayKran. Show JayKran's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : I think true Leaf fans would agree that we are getting screwed by the Maple Leaf organization and have been for many years.  Another team in Toronto would change the dynamics of the hockey scene in Toronto, especially if it was run properly and was a competitive team.  The current owners are afraid to have the competition because they have a captive market in Toronto and are getting rich as a result.  Once the cap was introduced, the Leaf management must have had a real party.  Now they don't have to answer to the fans in terms of spending more money because they are very comfortable spending the max cap hit and that's millions less than they would have by signing free agents and the like.  The owners of the Maple Leafs LOVE the cap. Make no mistake, the leaf organization has screwed the fans for many years and the price of tickets make it impossible for the true fan to go to the games.  It's all corporate seats for the most part. There is very little incentive for the Leaf management to do anything in terms of improving the team unless we get an owner that wants to win. I think Burke, for all his faults, is on the right track though.   Time will tell.  In the meantime the team this year is mediocre but more entertaining with Kessel on it.   When you have no chance at a cup you want to at least see offense and some good young players to build on.

Lets just clear this up!

I agree that the leafs are miss managed but to say they are cheap is ridiculous. 1) They spend to the cap every year and before the cap had an $80, 000 000.00 pay roll, by far the largest in the league only the Rangers were close. 2) Toronto is a leafs town not a hockey town, so even if they put another team in here they would still be bringing in money by the boat loads. 3) Gary Betman is the reason that we don't have another team in Toronto, he doesn't want more teams in Canada.

So ya the leafs have had good years and bad and not one a cup in my life time, but nether have the Bruins!

Oh! and the leafs have one more cups then anyone but the Habs

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Believe1. Show Believe1's posts

Be a shame (yah, right!) when Kessel isn't fast enough and gets a good hit into the boards.  There goes that shoulder surgery........................

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

By the way the Leafs were ready to give Savard 7.5 milions per year for 5 years if he had turned free agent.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Lets just clear this up! I agree that the leafs are miss managed but to say they are cheap is ridiculous. 1) They spend to the cap every year and before the cap had an $80, 000 000.00 pay roll, by far the largest in the league only the Rangers were close. 2) Toronto is a leafs town not a hockey town, so even if they put another team in here they would still be bringing in money by the boat loads. 3) Gary Betman is the reason that we don't have another team in Toronto, he doesn't want more teams in Canada. So ya the leafs have had good years and bad and not one a cup in my life time, but nether have the Bruins! Oh! and the leafs have one more cupsthen anyone but the Habs
    Posted by JayKran[/QUOTE]

Yes young and naive .  Those good ol days when the hockey draft was a real joke.  Toronto getting first picks from Ontario west of Canada and Montreal Quebec and east of Canada.
    Who else played hockey from early 1900's up until the late 60's. 
    YOU GOT ALL THE BEST PLAYERS IN CANADA BETWEEN THE HABS AND LEAFS IT'S NO WONDER YOU WON !
    I agree that the Leafs are not cheap, they've always been mis-managed but they're being very greedy .  They're are one of the only teams that force you to pay to watch their games ( Leafs TV )  with the exception of the CBC.
    Even in Montreal they can watch the Habs on regular cable ! 
    BTW LoveRealHockey good comments much appreciated as a Leafs fan coming here and talking with respect even if you don't agree .  Not like BlueJay here bashing the Bruins on a BruinsBoard.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Yes young and naive .  Those good ol days when the hockey draft was a real joke.  Toronto getting first picks from Ontario west of Canada and Montreal Quebec and east of Canada. Who else played hockey from early 1900's up until the late 60's.  YOU GOT ALL THE BEST PLAYERS IN CANADA BETWEEN THE HABS AND LEAFS IT'S NO WONDER YOU WON ! I agree that the Leafs are not cheap, they've always been mis-managed but they're being very greedy .  They're are one of the only teams that force you to pay to watch their games ( Leafs TV )  with the exception of the CBC. Even in Montreal they can watch the Habs on regular cable !  BTW LoveRealHockey good comments much appreciated as a Leafs fan coming here and talking with respect even if you don't agree .  Not like BlueJay here bashing the Bruins on a BruinsBoard.  
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

totally agree on the positive commentary from a Toronto fan

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayKran. Show JayKran's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: How does this happen? : Yes young and naive .  Those good ol days when the hockey draft was a real joke.  Toronto getting first picks from Ontario west of Canada and Montreal Quebec and east of Canada. Who else played hockey from early 1900's up until the late 60's.  YOU GOT ALL THE BEST PLAYERS IN CANADA BETWEEN THE HABS AND LEAFS IT'S NO WONDER YOU WON ! I agree that the Leafs are not cheap, they've always been mis-managed but they're being very greedy .  They're are one of the only teams that force you to pay to watch their games ( Leafs TV )  with the exception of the CBC. Even in Montreal they can watch the Habs on regular cable !  BTW LoveRealHockey good comments much appreciated as a Leafs fan coming here and talking with respect even if you don't agree .  Not like BlueJay here bashing the Bruins on a BruinsBoard.  
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

Hey come on! I never once bashed the Bruins, just there management and set a few fans straight on the Kessel getting overpaid comments that's it. I would love to have a competitive rivalry in the play-off's with you guys. And any dig I through out is in response to other posts.

Oh and I am just a little excited that we finally got a bonafied sniper to build around, our GM is looking good in my eyes. If we can get a few more pieces, make the play-off's and beat the Bruins and everyone else....Fantastic!