How far do you honestly see the Bruins going?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRealist. Show TheRealist's posts

The atrocious play of the Bruins since the all star break has got me thinking of just how far this club can go when the playoffs begin. We all now this team is very young and when the playoffs start it is a completely different game.

So with that being said and using our minds not our hearts how far do you see the B's going. Please no haters and no sheep.

Me I do see them winning 1 round and ending thier decade long drought of winless series in the playoffs but I think they will get a bad matchup in round 2 and be knocked out.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

after the trade deadline i,ll let you no

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

This Bruins team is 2-3 players away from being an elite team in the league. Also, this team is young and, outside of Aaron Ward (back to back Cups in Detroit) and Yelle (both Cups with the Avs), no one on this squad has seen the depths of the playoffs. These factors, regardless of trade deadline pickups, will likely keep this team from going beyond the second round. I look over at NJ and see the team in the East to beat right now. Ovechkin in Washington is a wild card, and could carry them right to the Finals if he gets rolling. View this playoff as a learning experience for the Bruins. The Stanley Cup is considered the toughest team sport championship to win and there is a bit of a learning curve to the playoffs. Rare is the team that just shows up in the Finals and wins it with little to no experience of the playoff road.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

I don't think a trade would make them much better than they are now. It's possible they could win one round in the playoffs. I thought so at the beginning of the season, during the middle of the season, and now during the home stretch that this team is really just being assembled and it's a young team that will get much better. It's just not going to happen this year. I think the loss of Marco Sturm really hurt their offense and has made shuffling their lines much more difficult. Lukic seems lost this year. Some nights he's a ghost. One player, when he's not injured, has consistently brought grit and a work ethic to the game has been Chuck Kobasew. Patrice Bergeron is just starting to get back to where he was two years or more ago. I am very optimistic about the futurre of this team - just not the immediate future.

Be patient.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

IF they stay healthy, they will make the Stanley Cup Finals this year. They have all the pieces in place this year to do it. Having their recent rough patch is just a bump in the road.

Beat the Panthers into the ground tonight. I expect they will play more like tonights game in the playoffs.

They are a better team then they were in last years 1st round 7 game playoff with Montreal....and look what they almost pulled off there.

Buckle up Bruins fans..........we are in for an exciting Cup run!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

I love all this "...they could be an elete team" talk.

What's "elete"? San Jose with 1 more point (with 2 games in hand)? The Wings who are 4 points back (1 game in hand)?

Seriously, I know this is the regular season, and I know that the Bruins have had a lot of luck to go along with their play...but do you think that the Wings and Sharks haven't had their share of lucky games?

I don't know about you, but 90 points with 21 games to go is pretty damn close to being "elete" to me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

This is Bostons year. I hate to say it but teams only get a small window once in a blue moon---and this is it. In the past teams who miss their chance may not get back to the show for a looong time. (Think Buffalo in that dominant year when they went out to the eventual winner Carolina. How bout the Senators, anyone?) Management in my mind has to do all they can to bolster this lineup and win in what has become a huuuuge cup drought in Boston...I dont care what they have to give up at deadline.....and I mean that in a big way.

I expect Chiarelli to make a move to put them over the top, to the point people will wonder how they can lose. Im talking a Pronger or Bouwmeester. Or who knows...maybe the best piece is someone not even thought of, Chiarelli will figure it out. There is a way to fit such a deal under the cap...it means moving pieces that you might not want to move. We'll see what happens.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

Bouwmeister will not be coming here. It's going to be hard for Florida to trade him because everyone knows the kid is going to get his pay day somewhere else. We don't have room under the cap for him. Would I like him in Boston? Absolutely. The kid is that good, but he wants his pay day and for what we would have to give Florida to get him as a rent-a-player for a month of the regular season plus the playoffs is just not worth it.

I still don't think this team is a front line Cup contender yet. Of course they are better than last year, but still think San Jose, Detroit, New Jersey, and Washington are better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I see it differently I guess:

If they get out of the first round, I think theyll go to at LEAST the ECF. I honestly dont see a team in the picture that will beat them in a series and thats why I think if they can get rid of playoff jitters, theyll go all the way to the ECF. If they dont meet the Caps (I dont know why, but they are the only team that worries me) I think theyll go to the finals. I think it will shake out with the Bruins or Caps in the finals for the east. Caps have incredibly poor goal tending but they score a hell of a lot of goals. Nobody else, NJ included, bothers me. Brodeur has missed the whole year so far. Can he come back from such an injury and really be the Marty of old? Even if, the Bruins have beat them their fare share as of late. I dont think they need to add an "over the top" piece and really, they cant afford it. Too much to give away for a year or two MAX, plus they ARE an elite team. They are what, 5-3-1 in their last 10 and STILL have a huge lead in the east. Theyve been at the top all year. That IS elite my friends. I think people are so used to thinking the Bruins arent an elite team they dont realize they are right now. Anyway.....ECF and possibly the SCF.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

Bruins record vs. Buffalo: 1 win and 2 losses
    Bruins record vs. New Jersey: 1 win and 2 losses
    Bruins record vs. Washington: 0 wins and 3 losses

I stand by my prior statements on these forums. So far, the B's have been bested by these teams. Higher scoring or lower scoring games - it does not matter. They have trouble with these teams and they are their likely opponents in the playoffs. Can they play better against these teams? Yes, I think they can. But I also believe that the stats don't lie. I think that particular match ups and styles of play seem to not favor the Bruins against these guys. Washington will outscore you. The Devils, well they just trap, trap, trap, trap... and then they quickly strike and drive a dagger into your heart. Then they clamp you down. Buffalo is more like New Jersey, except that I think they are slightly more offensively talented, if not as good defensively, as New Jersey.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

As Tampa Bay proved one year, anything is possible.. The East is going to be tough, no doubt, but the Bruins can do it.. The top contenders Jersey, Washington, and Phily all have question marks and it basically starts in GOAL.. Will Brodeur regain his touch after , long layoff? Maybe? Can Theodore in Washington keep pucks out of his net in the playoffs? He has never proved it in the playoffs before... Phily has Biron./Nitti combo and that hasn't worked and they might be looking for a goalie next week.. Bruins are solid in net and in the playoffs great goaltending takes you a long way..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emitchell2. Show emitchell2's posts

Here's my take on a numbers of points brought up:

Playoffs: I would love the B's to take on the canes or panthers in the first round. Second round, rangers/sabers/flyers. EC finals Devils or flyers.

I do not feel comfortable with the Bs facing the habs in the first round. I wouldn't mind facing them in the 2nd or EC finals, but not the first. I want the Bs to win an easy round then get some confidence for the rest of the series. I also don't like facing the capitals in the 2nd round, wouldn't mind them in the EC finals though.

I would like a Calgary/Boston Stanley Cup. I think it would be good for hockey in Canada and good for an original 6 American team.

What they need to go far in the cup:
    -The continued devlopment and renaissance of Patrice Bergeron to his original form. This would give the B's 3 lethal lines and a dependable 4th line. You don't get that with 30 teams in the NHL now...
    -Shooters to have the hot hand going in to the playoffs (Savvy, Ryder, Kessel)
    -Consistency! Especially from Lucic. When Lucic is on his game and aggressive, I think the team feeds off of this.
    -Wideman healthy
    -Chara healthy (his shoulder injury at the end of last year hurt them)
    -A well rested Thomas. As much as everybody hates "the flopping fool", it's easy to tell that the B's are going to ride out Thomas now. Fernandez needs to play well to give Thomas a rest every now and then. Thomas' achilles heal is his dropoff in performance if he is not rested.

For the trade deadline: The bruins need to decide what they want to do for the future. Do they want to put all their chips in and have the balls to go for the cup (meaning give up kessel, looch, krejci, wheeler, Jack Edwards jk), or do they want this team to be like the Phoenix Suns of the NBA... a relevant team for years to come that could be a playoff returner for the next few years... but may not win the cup. I prefer the former... but I kinda hope the Bruins do nothing and go with what they got. I like this group, even though theyre in a little bit of a drought lately.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBRUINS. Show StanleyCuptotheBRUINS's posts

I said it last year I say again : BRUINS will win the cup this year ..no matter who they face ...

GP BRRRRUINS ! ! ! !

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulmend. Show paulmend's posts

Bruins beat the Caps in Boston in OT! Remember the "Oh no!" Goal call on VS? 4 on 3 deflected shot! So they are 1-2 vs the Caps with 1 more home game this Sat against them. Has anyone else looked at the Caps road record vs their home record. Most of their losses come on the road. If the Bruins face them in the ECF and still have the first overall position then this may bode well having the extra home game.

Assuming the B's hold on to the Number 1 seed this will give them the eight seed in to play against. My guess is that will be Buffalo or Florida or it could be Carolina or Pitt. Buff scares me! Florida or Carolina should be no more than 6 games and on to the next round. Pitts you never know, Crosby & Malkin = could be DANGEROUS!

Then if they win then round 2 would most likely give them Philly, Montreal or Rangers. I think they could beat any of those 3 but Montreal has the 100 years thing going and you know there will be 100 ghosts haunting the B's in that series as well as 100 phantom calls by the refs!

Then the ECF would most likely be against Wash or NJ. They could beat either of those teams. Injuries and fatigue will come into play as well as goaltending. Does Theodore play well enough, does Marty B return to form?

Then the finals you got to believe it will be SJ or Det. B's beat Det earlier this season and Beat SJ through 2 periods so you never know, again injuries could play a factor. If Det faces SJ in the WCF that's gonna be a hard fought most likely 7 game series and if Det wins do they have enough juice left to win the cup again?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

The Bruins depth and balance is what will get them deep in the playoffs. If they stay healthy I see no reason why they couldn't be a legitimate cup contender or at worst make it to the ECF. Their abilty to give all 4 lines equal playing time (and all be productive) will really wear opponents down in a long series. and assuming they add someone like Cole or Thachuk (or eqivalent) at the deadline, what team can match a 3rd line of Bergeron/Kobasew/Cole-Thachuk? That is the equivalent of most teams 2nd line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from janasie36. Show janasie36's posts

1 and done.

The usual Jacobs special.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I believe in this team, we are going all the way. When the playoffs start, the tough teams last, an we are one of the toughest teams out there

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from books76. Show books76's posts

Gonna be tough on the Bs. One blogger had it right. They dont have long term playoff expericence past 1 round except for 2 guys. Wash, NJ and Buff will be tough on the Bs. I think that there will be a trade but for the life of me,,dont know who/when ...

They have to stay healthy. BIG IF.

I like to see them at least hit the conference finals. If they get to the finals,,all bets are off.

Go Bruins

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

Ward also has a cup with Carolina and Thornton has a ring with Anaheim.

The B's are just 1 trade away from being able to get to the finals. Right now I give the edge to Washington.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

they do not match up well with the caps.... that will be there problem in the east... in the west, the blackhacks and detroit. not S.J.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan76. Show bruinsfan76's posts

If we do not face the habs in the first round were MONEY!like someone said it's there 100th and let me tell you they live and die hockey in mtl,so theres this energy in the building come playoff time trust me i live here!!but if we face anyone else were good and meet mtl in the finals were going to the cup,i think the bruins hate the habs as much as i do,i just hope they don't let there emossions get the better of them and let it be business as usual,we got a solid team we can roll 4 lines!!not to many teams can say that,if we can get 1 BIG stay at home dee and eric cole........SOLID!!!!think of it we can beat any team in the nhl,with home ice advantage we can't be beat,bruins for the cup baby!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTLBRUINFAN. Show MTLBRUINFAN's posts

I agree bruinsfan76 , but I hate the habs more than anyone alive lol .....

If MTL faces Philly,NJ, or Wash they re in trouble.

I think the Caps and Jersey will give the Bruins the most problems, but then again a trade can turn this good team to an awesome team given the depth we already have

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

[Quote]Bruins record vs. Buffalo: 1 win and 2 losses
    Bruins record vs. New Jersey: 1 win and 2 losses
    Bruins record vs. Washington: 0 wins and 3 losses

I stand by my prior statements on these forums. So far, the B's have been bested by these teams. Higher scoring or lower scoring games - it does not matter. They have trouble with these teams and they are their likely opponents in the playoffs. Can they play better against these teams? Yes, I think they can. But I also believe that the stats don't lie. I think that particular match ups and styles of play seem to not favor the Bruins against these guys. Washington will outscore you. The Devils, well they just trap, trap, trap, trap... and then they quickly strike and drive a dagger into your heart. Then they clamp you down. Buffalo is more like New Jersey, except that I think they are slightly more offensively talented, if not as good defensively, as New Jersey.[/Quote]

If you think stats don't lie then you should get them right, Bruins have beaten the Caps

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

It all depends on goaltending and coaching. Look a Buffalo Miller is out and I have not heard for how long. If we face Buffalo with Lalime in net we will win 4 straight.

It is silly at this point to try and predict anything. After the trade deadline we will see what players teams picked up and how they are fitting in. Only then can anyone even make an educated guess because an injury to a top player can make a difference between winning and losing a playoff series.

Sections
Shortcuts