How far do you honestly see the Bruins going?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhitch. Show dhitch's posts

Every post seems to be on the right track.
    Boston will have trouble with NJ or WASHINGTON.
    I dont foresee anybody else beating Boston in the east.
    Montreal went whatm 8-0 against them that year and almost lost in 7....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

[Quote]

If you think stats don't lie then you should get them right, Bruins have beaten the Caps[/Quote]

Sorry, I read one of those scores incorrectly. They did beat the Caps once. So, they are 1 win and 2 losses against the Caps. Still, your correction does not change my underlying point: the B's have trouble with Washington and may not match up well against them.

Can we have our disagreement about a substantive point?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lefebvre33. Show Lefebvre33's posts

[Quote].
    Montreal went whatm 8-0 against them that year and almost lost in 7....[/Quote]

Almost lost game 7?

Montreal 5

Boston 0

Moutons LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[Quote]

Sorry, I read one of those scores incorrectly. They did beat the Caps once. So, they are 1 win and 2 losses against the Caps. Still, your correction does not change my underlying point: the B's have trouble with Washington and may not match up well against them.

Can we have our disagreement about a substantive point?[/Quote]

So if the Bruins beat the Caps this Saturday at home, I'd have to say this argument/substantive point of yours becomes less relevant.... No? Consider the season records on the other two teams you mention are not yet completed yet either. I like our chances against any of these teams.

Playoffs usually come down to who gets the best goaltending, and not unusually, a lucky bounce or two. See Edmonton Vs. Calgary for a glaring example.

So does Boston have the goaltending to get the job done becomes the question. I think they do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[Quote]1 and done.

The usual Jacobs special.
    [/Quote]

Last time I looked Jacobs doesn't play, so how does he influence the outcome of a playoff series? Right, that's what I thought.....he has NOTHING to do with it.

Or maybe you think he goes into the dressing room and says something like "hey you guys, I want you to lose, because I really don't want to make any more money".

You get today's Darwin award. You a Hab fan by chance?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Lefebvre33: Maybe your English isnt so good my friend, he wrote IN 7, meaning they almost lost in 7 games, not that they almost lost the game 7. However, with the horrible reffing in that series, Boston had the Habs beat in 6 actually. Point is, anything can happen.

If the Bruins offense can fire back up (read remove PJ from the ice) and guys can stay healthy, I dont think theyll have a hard time beating anyone really. Theyve gotten away from playing the way they were when they dominated up to the ASG. Lucic is not Neely, have him play physical. Kessel cant score on every shot, teach him how to pass. The Bruins are a big team: Play physical again and start taking the body and the goals will come. The Bruins are probably the most physical team in the league with half the team willing to drop the gloves. That makes them EXTREMELY tough to play against.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

If the Bruins are Healthy and TT is well rested they should atleast win one round.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[Quote]

I guess the last 36 years were just a fluke right?[/Quote]

I guess your so unoriginal you can not think up your own name.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LucicForPresident. Show LucicForPresident's posts

2nd, maybe 3rd round. Youth will have trouble in the later rounds

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[Quote]

I guess the last 36 years were just a fluke right?[/Quote]

Have a look aroud the league. Tell me how many teams in the NHL have their names on the Cup 5 times. Point is, it's a very hard thing to achieve, and has become even harder since so many teams have been added.

And if you want some worse comparisons, look at Chicago, Toronto, Ottawa (if your looking to compare against teams that have been around a long time).

Sorry, but blaming the ownership, especially this year, seems irrelavant to me. They have a great team. It's now up to the players and coaches to make a run for the Stanley. Jacobs can only sit and watch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

b

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fdhjr. Show fdhjr's posts

Anything can happen in the playoffs. Being kind of long in tooth and been a Bruins' fan since '66, I've seen quite a bit of the good, bad, ugly, strange, and ethereal. Teams can come out of nowhere. It has happened. And very powerful teams can lose. Remember Ken Dryden and what he and the Candiens did to the Bruins in the '71 playoffs? Most frustrating experience, ever, in my opinion. It was painful to watch. We had a wicked powerful team and the best record in the NHL that year. We were supposed to roll over Montreal. A hot goaltender did us in.

But, it takes more than hot goaltending to win the Cup. I agree that we have a very formidable pair in Thomas and Fernandez. Fernandez has had truly awful luck the past two years, in terms of injuries. I guess his latest, the bout with back spasms, is related to his knee injury from last season and the seasons before, when his mechanics got screwed up. I think we'll see better play from him than was the case down in Tampa. I was watching Thomas closely last night and he seemed fluttery and jittery on a lot of shots, like he was fighting the puck at times. But he kept all but one shot out, and on that goal he was screened.

I'm still not sold on the idea, in spite of our solid goaltending, that we can really rub out teams like Buffalo, New Jersey, and Washington in the playoffs. Unless I see some dramatic changes when the B's play them here on out, I am going to believe my eyes and the stats.

I was not pleased to see Hunwick sent down. The kid is dynamic and he can motor and he can pass. That's what you need to break the frustrating trapping of teams like New Jersey and Buffalo. You need puck moving defensemen who can immediately strike at the trappers at center ice and render them helpless, helping your team crack the blue line. That kid belongs in the NHL, not Providence.

I'm hoping for the best in the playoffs this year, but my bet's on them getting even better next year and going deeper and challenging for the Cup. I've chewed this over with some very smart, albeit old, hockey fans who, like me, played the game and follow it closely. They agree with me: we have the depth and the youth and the talent in the pipeline that the other, stronger contenders don't have. A few of those contenders are getting older in terms of their rosters. It's now or not for a very long time for them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dom77. Show dom77's posts

I think The Bruins have a little more Playoff Experience than some of you are giving them credit for:

Along with Yell and Ward that were previously mentioned as the only players with significant playoff experience a few players have beeen overlooked.

What about Shawn Thornton?
    He has a Stanley Cup ring with the Ducks in 2007. I recall watching that series and considered him being a major contributor and probably the strongest forechecker of the entire series.

Chara made it to the 7th game of the Eastern Conference Finals with the Senators in 2003. He has played in 52 playoff games.

Ryder has played in a total of 21 playoff games with Montreal

Andrew Ference made it to the Eastern Conference finals in 2001 with the Penguins. In 2004 he played with the Flames and lost in 7 games to the Lightning in the Stanley Cup Finals. Has played a total of 58 Playoff Games.

Shane Hnidy has appeared in the post season 31 times.

If this team can stay healthy and pick up a player to replace the loss of Sturm, they should go all the way to the Finals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

my take on this board is there are a lot of young bruins fans. that,s great, but don,t discount the jeremy jacobs hatred. the long time bruin fan myself 40+ yrs. had to suffer with this cheap buffoon. there would be nothing i would enjoy more, than the bruins to win it all. we have had teams in the eighties and early 90,s that could have won the cup . but this owner would not commit at the trading deadline .. and this long time bruins fans and season ticket holder holds a grudge. if bob kraft or john henry or wyc grousback own the bruins the last 20 years your looking at 2 or 3 cups easy...... if you want to know about jacobs, check out the forbes list of sports franchises. interesting reading

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Ohno - you don't want the bruins to win the cup, what are you talking about?? If they won the cup you couldn't complain complain complain, Jacobs is spending up to the cap, quit your bitching

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crawfordcounty. Show crawfordcounty's posts

[Quote]Ohno - you don't want the bruins to win the cup, what are you talking about?? If they won the cup you couldn't complain complain complain, Jacobs is spending up to the cap, quit your bitching[/Quote]

krejci with all due respect shut the ### up! Who are you to tell other fans what they want. I know you are a dreamer and a pom pom waving Bruins apologist but unless you have been in a coma the last 15 years you would know the Bruins have won just one measly playoff round. 95% of the NHL has done a better job running thier organizations. So I and any other fan has a right to be skeptical and to question this bumbling organization.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coachparker. Show coachparker's posts

oh god krejci do you work for delaware north? Put a sock in it would you. The fact that your even trying to defend this horrid ownership is simply laughable. PC is in his 3rd year and 2nd coach and still hasn't won a playoff round. That's also funny about Murray since he is taking Jacobs to arbitration hearings to get his money. I would also say pom pom waving is a very accurate description.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from geraalt09. Show geraalt09's posts

Jacobs is doing just fine since the lockout? LOL

Yeah ok... Pass the pipe on over here when your done dkrejci46

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

Alright I just don't understand why you guys are assuming that Jacobs is somehow going to ruin this. First off, I don't think he can. Ever since the CBA was renegotiated after the lock out Jacobs hasn't done a thing wrong. I'm not saying he didn't do terrible things, but the Bruins spent the second most money in the entire league last year. This year we were up against the cap until Sturm got hurt. Jacobs straight up paid Murray to stay away because it was the best thing for the team. If he was solely interested in making every dollar he could he would have made sure that Murray worked for his salary, and Michael Ryder would not be here. I understand fully that Jacobs ruined some teams in the past, quite frankly i can't say i understand it as well as you because I'm only twenty, but RIGHT NOW, he is doing everything right. Maybe he has realized that the best way to make money is to have a great hockey team. Right now its tough to get tickets, and the team has a 9 point cushion in the east, so it is not unreasonable to think that the past two years ownership has done a fine job. Just watch, Tkachuk will be a Bruin and Jacobs will happily pay his pro rated salary, as it will mean there might be a few more sell outs in the garden late in the playoffs. Calling me a pom pom waiver for being realistic about how the franchise has been handled in the last 2-3 years is pretty short sighted

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkrejci46. Show dkrejci46's posts

and for all of you that will surely jump all over me because you don't understand the business, I will ask you for a specific example of something that JACOBS, not Oconnel, has done wrong since the lockout

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

[Quote]Ohno - you don't want the bruins to win the cup, what are you talking about?? If they won the cup you couldn't complain complain complain, Jacobs is spending up to the cap, quit your bitching[/Quote] can you read ? look at my last post. he better spend to the limit ! he charges the highest prices in the N.H.L. "ONE AND OUT" is not complaining .... it is a proven fact

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from geraalt09. Show geraalt09's posts

[Quote]and for all of you that will surely jump all over me because you don't understand the business, I will ask you for a specific example of something that JACOBS, not Oconnel, has done wrong since the lockout[/Quote]

Who bumbled his way through the the GM signing period and settled for the lowest paid GM in the league in Chiarelli? Who then hired Dave Lewis?

Are you naive and short sighted?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

[Quote]and for all of you that will surely jump all over me because you don't understand the business, I will ask you for a specific example of something that JACOBS, not Oconnel, has done wrong since the lockout[/Quote].... jacobs is head of the board of N.H.L. governors now, and when cablevision bought the rangers and madison sq. garden. most of the other teams were aganst the sale! knowing the deep pockets cablevision had and would throw the salary structure out the window...(see stan fleicsher hockey news article) but alas, the board of governors led by jeremy jacobs voted them in 4 votes to 2 for the sale . and that,s what happen . the rangers spent like crazy. other teams like the flyers and pittsburgh and washigton try to keep up and were going bankrupt.. the league was in trouble thanks to there greed and leadership.so in effect he is responsable for a flawed salary cap. OH BY THE WAY did you know that every time there is exspansion a origanal 6 team pockets a cool mil. off the top ? don,t tell me about what he has not done since the lockout that,s pale to what he did before the lock out

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[Quote]

Who bumbled his way through the the GM signing period and settled for the lowest paid GM in the league in Chiarelli? Who then hired Dave Lewis?

Are you naive and short sighted?
    [/Quote]

How's Chiarelli and the Bruins doing this year so far? Nuff said.

Your only as good as your current performance in this league......most of the time. Go check the list of fired coaches this year to solidify this point.

Bruins are going for it this year, and they have a very legit chance of giong to the finals.

As I said before in this thread, Bruins are not the only team in the NHL to struggle with winning another (or first) cup. And buying a high priced gun slinger ala Marion Hossa of Pittsburgh fame last year, guarantees you squat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from canubthatdumb. Show canubthatdumb's posts

A win tonight against the Ducks and the Bruins are first in the entire NHL. I believe management has put together a great team with lots of depth both in Providence and the big club. Everyone talks like the Bruins have already been elimanated in the first round instead of being proud they can lead the league in points on Feb. 26th 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!