How much do you think O'Connell got for Joe Thornt

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

I would say he got 30 cents on the dollar.

Mike O'Connell basically set back the Bruins 5 years with that trade. I hope he can sleep at nights. Someone in the Shark's organization must have some uncompromising photos of him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Last I checked, O'Connell was not GM of the Bruins anymore.

It's history. Let it go. If you're sitting around stewing about this while the Bruins rampage through the NHL, you need a new hobby.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Yes dissapearing Joe, I really wish we had all those years of playoff failures just like San Jose.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bizman86. Show bizman86's posts

We got Marco Sturm, Andrew Ference, Chuck Kobasew (directly and indirectly) and signed Marc Savard to be our #1 centreman. I'd say we didn't do to badly in the end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Why do you want me to compare apple to oranges. I think it would be better to compare San jose before the trade and San Jose after the trade and same for the Bruins.

San Jose no real diffence.

Bruins a little better. Not that there was anywhere to go but up. Everyone seems to forget we were in last place when we traded Joe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moynechman. Show moynechman's posts

I'd say Mike O'Connell had to buy his own ticket on the China Bus out of town. He's a scout for the Bok Choy Dragon Flamers in the Far Eastern League, cuz he knows talent.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I agree with duinne.. Time to turn the page... Geez.. Good luck to Jumbo Joe, but he never lived up to the hype in Boston..A guy with his size , should have been good for 100pts , 100 PIM, and be a force ,year in and year out....instead he was a perimeter player who played soft, seldom fought ( Last fight see Eric Lindros..nuff said ) , could not lead his team out of the first round ever, playoff non performer.. yes, even in San Jose..and basically punched his ticket out of Boston.. Could not play in the tough Eastern conference, now that he plays with the rest of the "dancers" in the West he is racking up points , but only in the regular season..Until he gets his team to the finals and actually wins a Stanley Cup he will be measured by his playoff performances ..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mybruins. Show mybruins's posts

it was too bad the bruins made thorton captain, maybe things would have been different if they didn't. Joe was good, but I have more fun watching Sturm, Ferrance and Kobasew, and we still have Savard.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohno1957. Show ohno1957's posts

this was a mandate by jeremy jacobs to cut salary. the team was going no where that year. i never cared for thorton anyway. pretty much a one dimensional player .. and some nights disappears altogether i,ll take sturm thank you......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Insiders said Joe wanted out of boston and trust me,,thats true...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

bizman86 got it exactly right,case closed

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from salsa-kid. Show salsa-kid's posts

I just asked a simple question which no one replied.

I'm over the fact the Joe is gone however I'm still wondering why Mike O'Connnell never bothered to at least get Patrick Marleau on the team? I know, if we had Patrick Marleau, we might not have went after Savard, but the whole point is that O'Connell is a bad GM.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantabbruinsfan. Show cantabbruinsfan's posts

Best part, which just sent chills down my spine. Is if this year, Boston v San Jose, Stanely Cup playoffs, game seven Boston garden. (Or what ever they call it).

My prediction for the game.

Free Beer and food through out the game, but no one eats because everyone can't stop cheering.
    First time Thorton touches the puck he is run through by Krecji,
    PJ - hat trick, and is quoted after the game "I've always been able to score, but I wanted to save it for the right game"
    Thomas plays half the game, and Fernandes plays the other half
    Savard 4 assists
    Kessel plays a more defensive game
    Chara actually fights someone and destroys them.
    No cars get rolled, free beer and food for all the Bruins fans as they peacefully celebrate, everyone gets a job or gets raises and we are forced to name our newly born after our favorite Bruins player, as the cross we will bare...

We are all invited over JJ house for a party that lasts a week. And we have to tell him that he was right, but should move to Bufalo anyways... Sells the team to the fans, who properly run into the ground, as we know nothing about business...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mailforce. Show mailforce's posts

[Quote]

LOL!

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO US BY DELAWARE NORTH!!!

[/Quote]

Nice trophies! Not the one we are looking for. Joe always frustrated me, as it seemed like he could take over any game but didn't have the desire. I think the trade did him some good. Hopefully we meet him down the road in a very important series.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moynechman. Show moynechman's posts

Well - as Steven Tyler- ino would say "Dream On"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mabou. Show mabou's posts

There are a lot of ifs and buts about that trade. Thornton has become one of the top point producers in the NHL. Would he have done that in Boston? Difficult to say. But if he stayed, there'd be probably be no Marc Savard or Cdeno Chara in Boston. Would the Bruins be better with Thornton and without Chara, Savard, Sturm, Ference and Kobasew. Maybe, maybe not. It's all hypothetical. What we do know is that the Bruins have a damn good team. So do the Sharks. Why not say the trade was good for both and move forward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BatmanJWO. Show BatmanJWO's posts

As they say hindsight is always 20/20. The Bruins had a couple years were they had talent around Thornton and they won. They playoffs came around and they disappeared as a team. Top players, at the time, like Jason Allison and Bill Guerin were let go and Thornton was expected to carry a team with decreasing talent.

Mike O'Connell was a horrible General Manager. He did not get enough for Thornton. Instead of getting better players around him, they shipped him off. I am still a fan of Thornton's. He was never a bum as some people call him. He played hurt in the playoffs. Did you blame him for being down on a team that kept trading away all the talent? I don't.

Compare Mike O to Peter C and see the difference. Boston is trying to bring in talent to build for the future. Under Mike O'ful, they gave away or traded away talent to either save money or create an image. That image was losing. Now they are winning. If Thornton was here under PC, we'd be singing his praises.

Sections
Shortcuts